• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

gogogow

I think there's a series of jumps/falls you can make from quite early in the Catacombs to end up there. Think I've seen that in the WR speedrun, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, I think I know where to jump down from.

Including me.

I can only imagine how torturous this must've been for the artists, knowing that all their gorgeous art was in there, but hidden from view.
It's amazing how awesome the textures are. I played the PS3 version too, back then I didn't have a choice, now I do, thanks to Durante. Never would've bought the game day one if I had to play it at 1024x720 on a PC.

Haunted

Where's the best place to farm titanite shards? Or is it better to farm souls and buy them on the blacksmith?
Titanite shards are real cheap, so you should just buy them.

If you really want to farm them, you could run through the Undead Parish from the blacksmith's bonfire and kill the Balder dudes while carrying some humanity, they drop them.

NBtoaster

Managed to get summoned. Not sure if the host was familiar with the swamp, ran into the boulder fatties guarding the club. Black pine resin+ bastard sword+7 was great on them though.

I am finally a sunbro, and now I can use the lightning spear. Nicely balanced.

Ledsen

Actually, the mod didn't even worked here. I disabled AA, put the files there and got just a black screen. Without the mod, the game runs alright.

You probably did something wrong, try it again. DSfix makes a massive, massive difference. I can't even imagine the horrible eyebleed of trying to play this on consoles after seeing the PC version (I wouldn't dream of it, personally). I'm sure you could at least upscale to 1,5x resolution unless you have a several years-old laptop, and that + skip intro logos + automatic save backup = holy shit

Maedhros

You probably did something wrong. DSfix makes a massive, massive difference. I can't even imagine the eyebleed of trying to play this on consoles after seeing the PC version. I'm sure you could at least upscale to 1,5x resolution unless you have a several years-old laptop, and that + skip intro logos + automatic save backup = holy shit this is INSANE compared to console.

2.33GHz Quad Core
GTS250

Nice rig huh? Playing on a 1440x900 19" monitor.

gogogow

You probably did something wrong, try it again. DSfix makes a massive, massive difference. I can't even imagine the horrible eyebleed of trying to play this on consoles after seeing the PC version (I wouldn't dream of it, personally). I'm sure you could at least upscale to 1,5x resolution unless you have a several years-old laptop, and that + skip intro logos + automatic save backup = holy shit

+turnon/off hud, smaa, ssao, hudless screenshots, keybindings, dof etc.. It's an amazing patch of just a several hundred kb's.

Haunted

2.33GHz Quad Core
GTS250

Nice rig huh? Playing on a 1440x900 19" monitor.
Even if you just end up playing at 1280x720, it's still better than the original resolution (if not by much) and still worth it for all the other improvements people mentioned above. :p

But eh, if you don't want to, nothing we can do about it, except weep for the From artists. :(

Maedhros

Even if you just end up playing at 1280x720, it's still better than the original resolution (if not by much) and still worth it for all the other improvements people mentioned above. :p

But eh, if you don't want to, nothing we can do about it, except weep for the From artists. :(
I'll test it this afternoon. If it affects even further my performance, I'll just disable it.

Managed to get summoned. Not sure if the host was familiar with the swamp, ran into the boulder fatties guarding the club. Black pine resin+ bastard sword+7 was great on them though.

I am finally a sunbro, and now I can use the lightning spear. Nicely balanced.

Can you help me figure out how to join this Covenant?

Should I just help people with bosses in co op and eventually I will have the option to pray to the statue behind the Dragon? Is that it?

Can you help me figure out how to join this Covenant?

Should I just help people with bosses in co op and eventually I will have the option to pray to the statue behind the Dragon? Is that it?
The altar to the right of the bonfire, yeah.

You need 25 Faith to join the Covenant, but every time you help someone to kill a boss, the requirement decreases by 5.

What level should I try to stay to help people with Quelaag? Im 45 right now.

Also yesterday I met the Iron Golem at Sens fortress for the first time. I was so proud I was able to take one of his hits with my shield without staggering but the impact pushed me off the level hahaha YOU DIED anyways....

45 seems a little high for Quelaag, I'm usually there late 20s/early 30s.

Actually, the mod didn't even worked here. I disabled AA, put the files there and got just a black screen. Without the mod, the game runs alright.

Back to the topic, just got everything I could get in Blighttown. Invaded some guys there just for fun and killed then very easily.

Where's the best place to farm titanite shards? Or is it better to farm souls and buy them on the blacksmith?

Slugs in BlightTown, although probably better off using the forest-farming trick to rack up souls fast and just buy them.

Much sharper? I really doubt it.

Anyway, I'm not bothered by graphics at all.

...... dude...what?! .... with the fix the game looks so much better, like...shockingly better. I can't believe that much detail was already in the game and just needed a little 'tweak' to unlock it.

I went from thinking 'oh god, the PC-port complainers were right, it is bad.. muddy, washed out, blurry mess that hurts my eyes, god, if I wasn't such a fan-boy of this game I'd probably quit playing', to a fix that takes 3 seconds to apply and "its....its... it's beautiful" and one of the best looking games I've played.

I love the art style of this game, and the fix lets it truly shine in a way I didn't think possible. If I was at home right now, I'd take a few comparison screen shots just to make my point.

The altar to the right of the bonfire, yeah.

You need 25 Faith to join the Covenant, but every time you help someone to kill a boss, the requirement decreases by 5.

Ok this is what confuses me, the way the requirement decreases, is that ONLY after you already joined?

There is no way to join this covenant without leveling my faith to 25?

I cant just help people out in co op a lot and then join it?

Zaventem

Ok this is what confuses me, the way the requirement decreases, is that ONLY after you already joined?

There is no way to join this covenant without leveling my faith to 25?

I cant just help people out in co op a lot and then join it?

You co op and help people beat bosses and it will count as 5 faith per boss kill.So helping people 5 times will count as 25 faith even if you never leveled up the faith stat,so you'll be able to join.

You co op and help people beat bosses and it will count as 5 faith per boss kill.So helping people 5 times will count as 25 faith even if you never leveled up the faith stat,so you'll be able to join.

Yes. I helped out two people against the Moonlight Butterfly, so I could join the SunBros with just 15 Faith, rather than 25.

Yes. I helped out two people against the Moonlight Butterfly, so I could join the SunBros with just 15 Faith, rather than 25.

Cool, so maybe that means I can already go and join it then, I have helped tons of people in the past week, I love helping people beat the bosses.

Will go check out the statue, the trek back from the top of Sens fortress is going to be a bitch hahah.

Grief.exe

Cool, so maybe that means I can already go and join it then, I have helped tons of people in the past week, I love helping people beat the bosses.

Will go check out the statue, the trek back from the top of Sens fortress is going to be a bitch hahah.

Just wait until after you have beaten anor londo then, will make the trip much easier trust me.

Anyone need any help right now with bosses? Will lay my sign down anywhere, SL40.

Just installed the latest DSfix with the HUD changes, the difference is massive.

Before
iWc8hJBh1RlkZ.png

After
ifyqodE2wVs1Z.png

Just wait until after you have beaten anor londo then, will make the trip much easier trust me.

Anyone need any help right now with bosses? Will lay my sign down anywhere, SL40.

Just installed the latest DSfix with the HUD changes, the difference is massive.

What timezone are you on? I need help with the Iron Golem at Sens fortress at around 8-10 PM eastern hahah

rybrad

Any suggestions on what weapons to spend all my slabs on? I have been using a Black Knight Great Axe for quite awhile but I want to use up all my slabs before I start my NG+ and have to get all the embers again.

Any suggestions on what weapons to spend all my slabs on? I have been using a Black Knight Great Axe for quite awhile but I want to use up all my slabs before I start my NG+ and have to get all the embers again.

Balder Side Sword, Great Scythe, Claymore and various spears are weapons I've maxed out. Washing Pole is also fun, as is Claw for the challenge.

Maedhros

Where's the difference? A smaller hud?

Apparently, the DSFix worked here. I'm using it for the backups, didn't even notice graphical differences... I noticed with those guys with crazy rigs running the game with SSAA and shit, but from 1024x720 to 1280x720, it looks almost the same for me.

EasyMode

Is the Black Knight's Shield worth upgrading and using over my Knight's Shield?

It's definitely a better shield than the regular Knight's shield. When your selecting these items in your inventory press the X button the the 360 controller to see detailed stats so you can compare them. Stability and damage reduction are the most important stats for shields.

Raide

Ok....

I am addicted to Dark Souls.

Just finished work and picked up a Wired 360/PC Controller so I won't die because of the controls.

Bring on the skinny stabbers!!!

Sullichin

This doesn't get old

Helping lots of new players with Capra. Crazy how many of them are using the Drake Sword.

Anyway, Elite Knight Set + Wolf Ring is a great combo for Capra. 86 poise is more than enough to let you swing wildly at the dogs and capra without their attacks breaking yours.

Truant

Hit both 40 dex and end.

I also have a shitload of vitality as well.

Any point to dumping souls into dex past 40? I kinda wanted to see my Balder Side Sword surpass the Quelaag sword since it has A scaling, but I guess that will never happen.

Grief.exe

Where's the difference? A smaller hud?

Apparently, the DSFix worked here. I'm using it for the backups, didn't even notice graphical differences... I noticed with those guys with crazy rigs running the game with SSAA and shit, but from 1024x720 to 1280x720, it looks almost the same for me.

You don't need a crazy rig to do this. I have a 2550k and a 560 ti SLI setup. On a single GPU with 2560x1440 downsampling to 1080p and 2 setting SMAA I get like 30-40%. Thats actually really well optimized to be honest with you.

Point is, you don't need a ridiculous rig to make this game look good. You won't see much of a difference on your screen, but you could and should be downsampling that image.

Hit both 40 dex and end.

Any point to dumping souls into dex past 40? I kinda wanted to see my Balder Side Sword surpass the Quelaag sword since it has A scaling, but I guess that will never happen.

Damn. I guess I should go Quelagg's over BSS for low level. Even with a lot of DEX it won't pass it.

Sullichin

Hit both 40 dex and end.

The BSS is doing pure physical damage, and the quelaag furysword is split between fire/physical. In many situations, the BSS+15 with 40 DEX should be better.

You don't need a crazy rig to do this. I have a 2550k and a 560 ti SLI setup. On a single GPU with 2560x1440 downsampling to 1080p and 2 setting SMAA I get like 30-40%. Thats actually really well optimized to be honest with you.

Point is, you don't need a ridiculous rig to make this game look good. You won't see much of a difference on your screen, but you could and should be downsampling that image.

Damn. I guess I should go Quelagg's over BSS for low level. Even with a lot of DEX it won't pass it.

I'd go with a chaos or lightning BSS with base dex

Raide

OK, odd/stupid question. Just installed my PC/360 Pad yet Dark Souls does not see it. Am I supposed to load anything up?

Grief.exe

The BSS is doing pure physical damage, and the quelaag furysword is split between fire/physical. In many situations, the BSS+15 with 40 DEX should be better.

I'd go with a chaos or lightning BSS with base dex

Oh ya I forgot that Quelagg's is unenchantable as well. Need my crystal magic weapon on that BSS.

I actually have 20 dex since I was trying the Painting Guardain Sword. Its good for high DPS but I don't like the R2 attack since it can miss, its slow, and it leaves you pretty vulnerable.

Raide

Yeah, just make sure you power on the controller before you start up the game. It's like that for quite a few pc games.

Strange. I have the pad plugged in and installed, plus pressing the Guide button pops up the prompt. The only thing USB I have plugged in is my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

The pad works in steam but not in game. Am I missing a setting?

Booshka

Hit both 40 dex and end.

If you use Pyromancy a lot, go to 45 dex for quicker casting times, it makes a big difference. Otherwise don't level your Dex past 40, the stat scaling gets terrible after 40, so it's not worth it. You'd actually get more damage by leveling Strength to 27 with E scaling for the BSS than leveling Dex past 40.

It's been said already, but Pure physical damage yields much better damage than any elemental (outside of critical attacks). Quelagg's Fury Sword has overall higher damage numbers, but its split across two damage types, so it gets resistance checked and nets lower damage than the pure physical of a +15 weapon. Not to mention a lot of enemies are highly resistant to fire attacks in Dark Souls. With the BSS, just abuse the thrust attacks and you will do a ton of damage.

Strange. I have the pad plugged in and installed, plus pressing the Guide button pops up the prompt. The only thing USB I have plugged in is my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

The pad works in steam but not in game. Am I missing a setting?

Check to see if you have anything else plugged in/installed in the device manager. The same thing happened to me and it wasn't even a different gamepad, it was the Mungogamer driver (an ios app that allowed you to use your ios device as a controller)

Top Bottom