• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Raide

Check to see if you have anything else plugged in/installed in the device manager. The same thing happened to me and it wasn't even a different gamepad, it was the Mungogamer driver (an ios app that allowed you to use your ios device as a controller)

Thanks. Will have a hunt around now and see what could be the problem.

Booshka

Am I a pussy for beating all bosses in coop? I'm running out of humanity though. :(

Put your sign down and help others and you'll get humanity yourself. A lot of people would say that this game is best to conquer mostly alone, but experiencing co op is amazing as well. I do suggest trying to tackle most of the game alone, because you only get one first playthrough. If you breeze through it with co op, you'll end up regretting it in the long run.

Thrakier

Put your sign down and help others and you'll get humanity yourself. A lot of people would say that this game is best to conquer mostly alone, but experiencing co op is amazing as well. I do suggest trying to tackle most of the game alone, because you only get one first playthrough. If you breeze through it with co op, you'll end up regretting it in the long run.

But I don't like trying a boss 50 times and tbh, 99% of the stuff I do in the game I have to read up at neogaf or some wiki, because there is no way in hell the game tells you what to do (like finding that wolf ring f.e.). I didn't even know what poise is for, let alone it could help me vs. Capra. :-( I defeated that huge ass dragon in the depths with a coop partner. And the gargoyles on the roof with the CPU coop partner.

rybrad

Am I a pussy for beating all bosses in coop? I'm running out of humanity though. :(
I really enjoy beating the bosses solo and then helping other people kill them in co-op. I have helped quite a few people doing the boss for the first time so I wouldn't sweat it. Which ever way you can get through the game and have fun is what matters.

Booshka

But I don't like trying a boss 50 times and tbh, 99% of the stuff I do in the game I have to read up at neogaf or some wiki, because there is no way in hell the game tells you what to do (like finding that wolf ring f.e.). I didn't even know what poise is for, let alone it could help me vs. Capra. :-( I defeated that huge ass dragon in the depths with a coop partner. And the gargoyles on the roof with the CPU coop partner.

Try helping others first before you fight the boss yourself. Practice and try different strategies in other people's games where there is no risk. Then try it alone in your game after you've learned more about the boss. Also, if you are struggling a lot, you probably need to upgrade your gear. That's why a lot of those co op partners you summon are breezing through areas and bosses, they have upgraded gear and experience. Gear is huge in this game, arguably more important than level.

Gigglepoo

So, I have a +8 Balder Side Sword and a dead blacksmith (Andre of Astora). Is this going to be the most powerful weapon I can use the rest of the game? Or is there another weapon I can find that can somehow be upgraded by a living blacksmith?

And will I even be able to upgrade my armor?

Thrakier

Try helping others first before you fight the boss yourself. Practice and try different strategies in other people's games where there is no risk. Then try it alone in your game after you've learned more about the boss. Also, if you are struggling a lot, you probably need to upgrade your gear. That's why a lot of those co op partners you summon are breezing through areas and bosses, they have upgraded gear and experience. Gear is huge in this game, arguably more important than level.

lol, no thx. I had those assholes before who just used my game to practice the boss and we both end up dieing and I wasted my humanity. Btw, is there an easy way to get humanity? Do you have to be careful with reverse hollowing?

Raide

OK, I sorted out the issue with the 360 Pad.

Not sure if other knew but if you use the Mouse Fix mod and add it to Durantes mod, then it bypasses the 360 pad. You have to remove the Mousefix DLL link and it started working for me fine.

You can find a new weapons that sit at higher than +10 that you can downgrade and then do what you please with. You can also take weapons to +5 at any blacksmith and then to Divine, Magic, Enchanted, Fire or Chaos.

But yeah, you're screwed out of +15 weapons and most +5 Lightning for this run. He's back on NG+.

Btw, is there an easy way to get humanity? Do you have to be careful with reverse hollowing?

You can farm it in Depths or just do co-op for active humanity.

Booshka

So, I have a +8 Balder Side Sword and a dead blacksmith (Andre of Astora). Is this going to be the most powerful weapon I can use the rest of the game? Or is there another weapon I can find that can somehow be upgraded by a living blacksmith?

Hopefully you purchased the Repair/Upgrade boxes from him before you killed him, otherwise you will have to rely on weapons upgraded via Twinkling and Dragon Scales, or Fire and Magic weapons. If you can take that BSS to +10, you can upgrade it to Lightning with another blacksmith. If you find a weapon you like that upgrades via Twinkling, I would just focus on that.

rybrad

lol, no thx. I had those assholes before who just used my game to practice the boss and we both end up dieing and I wasted my humanity. Btw, is there an easy way to get humanity? Do you have to be careful with reverse hollowing?
You can farm humanity from rats in the depths, there are a couple groups of them really close to the bonfire. You can also kill the slimes by the bonfire for green and large titanite shards on the way to the rats.

- You will be able to find a Lightening Spear, that the guy in Anor Londo can upgrade and get a lightening weapon
- You will be able to find an Enchanted Falchion, that the guy in New Londo can upgrade and have a stronger Enchanted weapon
- Should be able to also upgrade any weapon with Fire with the blacksmith in the Catacombs

You have limited some of your upgrade paths, but you are not completely limited. But in terms of 'stat-scaling weapons', yeah..kinda out of luck for now.

I actually usually help people beat bosses before I do it myself, I helped 3 people beat Quelaag and the 4th time I went in solo and beat her by myself, it was awesome!!!

I miss being able to help people with Quelaag, now that im level 45, no one will summon me in Blighttown :(

Don't feel bad for co-oping, it's there for a reason - I'd say some bosses are even built for it. Also I think I'm right in saying they get a health (or defense?) boost if you are co-oping.

It's just plain fun too. Slap down your summon sign and help others out too - get souls, humanity, experience of an area/boss you haven't done yet, learn a new trick/tactic or shortcut that someone uses you didn't know about and even kick some invader butt! It's fun seeing other people's playstyles too, what armour/weapon combinations they're using.

Same goes for invading - it's all in the game, it's all fun.

Don't feel bad for co-oping, it's there for a reason - I'd say some bosses are even built for it. Also I think I'm right in saying they get a health (or defense?) boost if you are co-oping.

It's just plain fun too. Slap down your summon sign and help others out too - get souls, humanity, experience of an area/boss you haven't done yet, learn a new trick/tactic or shortcut that someone uses you didn't know about and even kick some invader butt! It's fun seeing other people's playstyles too, what armour/weapon combinations they're using.

Same goes for invading - it's all in the game, it's all fun.

The sounds the pendulum blades make in Sens Fortress terrify me, a lot, not fun, but im still enjoying it so much, I made it to the top as quickly as possible but now Im going to go back and see whats down below as it seems I missed some stuff down there.

Grief.exe

I'm finally able to record without fps drops.

Here's a quick video of me speeding to the bonfire of Sen's Fortress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yxYFS84zbo&feature=youtu.be

Nothing too crazy and I even mess up... not my fastest run through the place. Was just testing out recording really. I love running through Sen's place as much as I like going through it normally.

Thats pretty impressive. Its crazy that I spent a few hours in that place on my first playthrough.

I'm finally able to record without fps drops.

Here's a quick video of me speeding to the bonfire of Sen's Fortress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yxYFS84zbo&feature=youtu.be

Nothing too crazy and I even mess up... not my fastest run through the place. Was just testing out recording really. I love running through Sen's place as much as I like going through it normally.

2 min, wow, took me hours to reach the top, also, lol at that shield, is it any good? Which shield is it?

There is a certain thrill to being able to solo them (and you should try at some point) --- but if you are getting fedup and just want to move on and expierence the full game once before doing various challenges, co-op away.

Also being summoned as a ghost into other worlds is a great way to learn how to take on a level / boss with minimal risk to yourself. It's how I learned how to navigate Sens fortress without being squished to a pulp a dozen times.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I just beat the Gaping Dragon... At my first try.
That was quite a dissapointment, I always thougth it would've been way harder.

mxgt

Banned
I just beat the Gaping Dragon... At my first try.
That was quite a dissapointment, I always thougth it would've been way harder.

Gaping Dragon is stupidly easy, you actually have to go out of your way to even get hit in that fight.

Just takes a while because he has quite high hp.

Sullichin

Thats pretty impressive. Its crazy that I spent a few hours in that place on my first playthrough.
I was stuck there for several hours on my first playthrough, and I missed out on getting the lightning spear to boot (killed the mimic as it killed me). I remember this vividly, I was pissed at the time but I wound up not liking the lightning spear anyway.

2 min, wow, took me hours to reach the top, also, lol at that shield, is it any good? Which shield is it?

It's the buckler. It's amazing for parrying, but has very low stability so it's not good for blocking

TronLight

Gaping Dragon is stupidly easy, you actually have to go out of your way to even get hit in that fight.

Just takes a while because he has quite high hp.

After the Capra Demon (which wasn't very very hard either) it was quite relaxing, so to speak, lol.

Now... New Londo Ruins (is it the area under the Firelink Shrine right? Because in the italian version is called "Petite Londo" so I may be wrong) or Blightown?

Ridley327

After the Capra Demon (which wasn't very very hard either) it was quite relaxing, so to speak, lol.

Now... New Londo Ruins (is it the area under the Firelink Shrine right? Because in the italian version is called "Petite Londo" so I may be wrong) or Blightown?

Blighttown should be your next destination. There's not a ton you can really do in New Londo Ruins at this point, but you can pick up a free Fire Keeper Soul and some other goodies if you're interested.

I'm wondering if she got toned down on the PC - I had a hell of a time with her on the PS3, but she's she seems very easy now.

Maybe it was my fault, I took a Claymore +10 to that fight, plus really light gear so It was easy to dodge/run to heal up.

But yeah I have no way of knowing if she was nerfed, brb looking for a video on Youtube of the PS3 version.

TronLight

Blighttown should be your next destination. There's not a ton you can really do in New Londo Ruins at this point, but you can pick up a free Fire Keeper Soul and some other goodies if you're interested.

Already got the Fire Keeper Soul, then I died while fighting 5 ghosts at once and I decided that it wasn't the right time yet.
Blighttown it is then.

BTW, I'd like some tip for mine character:

Soul level 34
Vitality 19
Attunement 11
Endurance 16
Strength 17
Dexerity 14
Resistance 14
Intelligence 13
Faith 11
Umanity 0

I'm using the Drake sword and the Thief Set (is the lightest armor I have, because I don't like getting slowed by a heavier armor).

EasyMode

Already got the Fire Keeper Soul, then I died while fighting 5 ghosts at once and I decided that it wasn't the right time yet.
Blighttown it is then.

I'm using the Drake sword and the Thief Set (is the lightest armor I have, because I don't like getting slowed by a heavier armor).

Your gear is fine for where you are. Don't put any more points into resistance, it's the only useless stat in the game. Other than that, try not to spread your stats thin by leveling everything. A melee character can't go wrong with Vitality and Endurance (up to 40).

Sullichin

Blighttown it is then.

Soul level 34
Vitality 19
Attunement 11
Endurance 16
Strength 17
Dexerity 14
Resistance 14
Intelligence 13
Faith 11
Umanity 0

I suggest you start upgrading another weapon. By the time you're in blighttown you can have a +10 weapon if you've gone through the depths already. Drake Sword will start to show its ineffectiveness in blighttown but you'll be able to get by, but after that it will be quite a weak weapon in every new area you go to.

TronLight

I suggest you start upgrading another weapon. By the time you're in blighttown you can have a +10 weapon if you've gone through the depths already. Drake Sword will start to show its ineffectiveness in blighttown but you'll be able to get by, but after that it will be quite a weak weapon in every new area you go to.
What do you suggest?
I don't like spears and similar. :S

Sullichin

What do you suggest?
I don't like spears and similar. :S

There's tons of weapon choices in the game, and most of them are viable choices if you upgrade them.

Looking at your stats, some weapons I like that you can use right now: halberd, gargoyle's halberd, sunlight straight sword, balder side sword, claymore. Depending on the weapon/your stats the attack rating will start to eclipse the Drake Sword as you near +10.

Even if you use the drake sword through blighttown it's a good idea to be upgrading something else in tandem. There's a pretty standard drake sword replacement you can stumble across, but it's a spear weapon, and it's not that great anyway.

Is there any way to get the Very Large Ember without beating the boss at Sens fortress?

I read in the wiki that I have to lower some water in New Londo?? I have no idea what that means.

Gigglepoo

You have limited some of your upgrade paths, but you are not completely limited. But in terms of 'stat-scaling weapons', yeah..kinda out of luck for now.

Thanks for the help, guys. I really don't want to start over so I'm crossing my fingers that a +8 BSS is enough to complete the game.

How much more difficult is NG+? I might just get through my NG run as quickly as possible (as few optional areas as I can manage) and then explore the whole world in NG+. Maybe.

Raide

Can anyone give me some tips on Parrying. Timing seems really hard. Does is depends on the weapon/Shield or Stats? Thanks!

Zaventem

You'll need the key to the sea to drain the water in new londo to get Very Large Ember that to take a weapon from +10 to +15 , you can get the key by killing one of the NPCs on the roof ( though i heard it's bugged on PC) or talking to the NPC in new londo on the roof after you have the lord vessel.

What you want is the large ember if i'm not mistaken zephervack, to get your weapon to +10.It in the depths in a chest guarded behind a butcher.. you can't miss it.

Sullichin

Can anyone give me some tips on Parrying. Timing seems really hard. Does is depends on the weapon/Shield or Stats? Thanks!

Depends on shield. Smaller shields tend to have longer parry windows, and large shields can't parry. Only humanoid enemies can be parried - the timing is right when the weapon is about to hit you. There's definitely a learning curve to get it right.

EasyMode

Thanks for the help, guys. I really don't want to start over so I'm crossing my fingers that a +8 BSS is enough to complete the game.

You can still take that BSS to +10 and then upgrade to the Lightning path later on. Andre is only needed to make the jump from +5 > +6 and +10 to +11.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Finished the final dlc boss on my first try going in blind :I, something tells me I was either lucky or I have my shield to thank for my victory.

Raide

Depends on shield. Smaller shields tend to have longer parry windows, and large shields can't parry. Only humanoid enemies can be parried - the timing is right when the weapon is about to hit you. There's definitely a learning curve to get it right.

I see. When you say larger window, does that mean it has more lenience as to my timings? I am trying to time it when the hit lands to do it but that seems to get me stabbed. :D

Ridley327

Finished the final dlc boss on my first try going in blind :I, something tells me I was either lucky or I have my shield to thank for my victory.

It's the latter; my shield bailed my ass out, especially since the timing of the Silver Pendant can be so tricky to nail down.

Top Bottom