• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Carm

Finished The Depths this morning, that was stressful. I haven't been upgrading any gear yet, though I did cheat a bit and got the Drake Sword so I wouldn't have to deal with the crafting system while at the same time getting use to the other game systems. I found out the hard way that you probably shouldn't bother with those 2h specials on a boss like this.

I died 4 or 5 times till I barely killed it, was pretty intense because I kinda sucked at that fight and it's supposedly one of the easier ones? Hardest one by far so far. Decided to record it to show a friend to hopefully get him interested. I had massive frame drops with particle effects, same thing happens with fire effects. I need to lower the internal res to 1080 to see if it still does it.

The Depths main boss

Sarcasm

Yes stay by his butt and run when he aoe farts..so wtf do you do when he farts every 2 seconds regardless if your kissing the strays butt? lol

What a joke. Not to mention I can't see jack when I am kissin butt.

haha forget this boss all he does is aoe fart regardless of where I am LOL.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
That, Sen's Fortress, and the invisible walkways are the dumbest things about this game.

I'd say that Bed is the most annoying piece of shit to ever walk Lordan.

Whaaaa? Sen's is awesome. Dat
hidden bonfire!
. Reminded me a lot of Zelda dungeons, ALTTP specifically.

Whaaaa? Sen's is awesome. Dat
hidden bonfire!
. Reminded me a lot of Zelda dungeons, ALTTP specifically.

You know what?

I'll trade Sen's for Tomb Of The Giants. Fucking gross.

HURR DURR ENJOY YOUR PITS AND DARKNESS. That's why there are two bonfires fairly close to each other.

So my Steam copy does not work, but my pirated version does. It's probably my computer being stupid, but goddamnit I want to play online again :(

Sarcasm

lol great now the stray demon farts even when I land from falling. Twice. One right after another lol. Of course its enough time for my guy to be hit twice.

lol great now the stray demon farts even when I land from falling. Twice. One right after another lol. Of course its enough time for my guy to be hit twice.

All of the Stray Demon-esque bosses are trivial if you just stay really close to them and circle strafe around them. He only does like 3 really easily dodgeable moves if you are close to him.

When he flies up to fall down... back away, easy hits on the boss (does this a lot if you are really close).
When he does the fire explosion thing - your circle strafing behind him.
When he does the strike ground to create explosion - your circle strafing behind him.

That is pretty much all he will do when you are really close. Easy to do zero damage runs on these guys.

Sarcasm

All of the Stray Demon-esque bosses are trivial if you just stay really close to them and circle strafe around them. He only does like 3 really easily dodgeable moves if you are close to him.

When he flies up to fall down... back away, easy hits on the boss (does this a lot if you are really close).
When he does the fire explosion thing - your circle strafing behind him.
When he does the strike ground to create explosion - your circle strafing behind him.

That is pretty much all he will do when you are really close. Easy to do zero damage runs on these guys.

As I mentioned earlier I was in his butthole = aoe fart. Far away = aoe fart fall through ground = aoe fart. I just powered through the farts and got him.

Is havels armor worth the weight cost? I am using elite armor with +8 on average.

As I mentioned earlier I was in his butthole = aoe fart. Far away = aoe fart fall through ground = aoe fart. I just powered through the farts and got him.

Is havels armor worth the weight cost? I am using elite armor with +8 on average.

When you notice him starting to move his arm to do the fire explosion move you just start walking backwards. The StrayDemon-esque bosses are really trivial. I did the Stray Demon with zero damage earlier today.

Havel's Armor is great if your planning on taking hits alot.

Hypron

I don't really think it's worth it. A fully upgraded Giant's armour will be better (apart against magic attacks) and will weigh a lot less. If you have a high enough endurance it's even possible to do medium rolls while wearing it along with the ring of favour and protection.

Grief.exe

It depends. I personally can't go above 25% weight anymore. You really want to stay below 50% though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm having a difficult time getting the Moonlight Greatsword. Do you have to hit Seath's tail a certain number of times or is it based on damage?

I don't really think it's worth it. A fully upgraded Giant's armour will be better (apart against magic attacks) and will weigh a lot less. If you have a high enough endurance it's even possible to do medium rolls while wearing it along with the ring of favour and protection.

The reason why people use Havel's armor is the extreme poise rating (although Giant's armor is fairly up there as well). On NG with Havel's Armor you could probably literally sit next to most bosses with Havel's armor hitting them and drinking flasks without even bothering to dodge (which is pretty boring).

Hypron

The reason why people use Havel's armor is the extreme poise rating (although Giant's armor is fairly up there as well). On NG with Havel's Armor you could probably literally sit next to most bosses with Havel's armor hitting them and drinking flasks without even bothering to dodge (which is pretty boring).

Well tbh both armours have poise ratings so high not a single enemy in the game can stagger you regardless of which one you wear. Havel's armour is better against bosses that use lots of magic attacks, but the giant's set is better against physical opponents.

Well tbh both armours have poise ratings so high not a single enemy in the game can stagger you regardless of which one you wear. Havel's armour is better against bosses that use lots of magic attacks, but the giant's set is better against physical opponents.

The only armor set worth wearing in Dark Souls is...

naked.

Gvaz

Banned
Hello there player!

*spams IM SORRY a billion times*

*Watches as some noobs stand in poison and get murdered by mobs while I don't even lift a finger*

EasyMode

I've been trying that but it still doesn't seem to drop. I took off 60% of his health solely with hits on the tip of his tail and no luck. Is it harder to get in NG+?

Definitely harder in NG+ since his tail attacks can one-shot you.
If you don't break the crystal at the start of the fight you can still get his tail and not worry about killing him before it comes off.

Zeliard

I'm not much one for poise, generally. I wear the Paladin chest armor in conjunction with Xanthous Waistcloth, Wanderer Manchette, and Giant Helm (occasionally switched out for Royal Helm), so I have some good defenses at a relatively low weight cost.

More importantly, it looks boss.

I have a friend who's stationed on a base in Japan and unfortunately Dark Souls is region locked there. Anyone know if they purchased a key from say GMG or Amazon would they be able to activate it?

Having trouble beating quelaag. It especially hurts that I don't have any decent gear against fire.

Circle strafe around her avoiding moves (she can literally never hit you if you backpedal - she has zero long range moves), staying to her side for the most part. When she goes to breathe fire go into go for a strike (or two - when she goes for a long breath of fire you can decimate her). Repeat. Really easy to not get hit at all.

Sullichin

Having trouble beating quelaag. It especially hurts that I don't have any decent gear against fire.

stay to her front-right side and you should be able to roll through her melee attacks and attack while she's in the attack animation. It's a matter of learning all of her different attacks, you need to know when she's going to do that AOE blast and get the hell away. If you're around SL20-30 I can try to help you later tonight.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
- lock on and circle strafe forever
- hit it when it stops to spit fire
- watch the sexy part closely because when it droops it does the aoe explosion
- you can actually stay UNDER its front legs on either side and strafe/attack safely without getting hit by any attacks the whole battle, although you will have to watch for lava/explosion

Should I use the Ring of Favor and Protection? Feels like I may accidentally unequip it lol.

It is a good ring. But like the Havel ring, I feel like it really promotes bad choices and ends up being a crutch that you can't get past even when you want to. I tend to use the Cloranthy ring and Havel but carry two or three armor variations on me so that I can swap out Havel for something else as need be (or Cloranthy if I have to). From experience, using the Ring of Favor led to a lot of situations where I wanted to swap it out, but didn't because it would break - ultimately resulting in it being a hindrance.

Zaptruder

Banned
what? haha

I assume you were acting out your most recent play through where you were summoned as a white phantom and proceeded to troll a noob in need?

Coupled with your advocating of cheating and save file editing in the game...

That'd make you an unrepentant shit bag of a player in Dark Souls... no?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I assume you were acting out your most recent play through where you were summoned as a white phantom and proceeded to troll a noob in need?

Uh, I don't know about the cheating but it sounds like he invaded someone in sens as a black phantom, not got summoned as a white phantom. Then the stage did the work for him, which is pretty common in sens.

Gvaz

Banned

Uh, I don't know about the cheating but it sounds like he invaded someone in sens as a black phantom, not got summoned as a white phantom. Then the stage did the work for him, which is pretty common in sens.
I invaded a few people in blighttown actually.

Dresden

well this is awkward

Two hand your weapon, hack that ho everywhere, then roll back when she leans down to embrace her spiderhead--that's when she does her AOE explosion. Just stepping back owns her swipes and you can move to the side to avoid her stabs, which have looooong, telegraphed animations.

Finally, when the area you're in gets clogged up with lava, just run to the other end to effectively reset it. The area is huge for a reason.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fuck the Tomb of Giants is freaking tense. Just fell into the abbyss, lost 43k souls, my human form and one soft humanity.

Those freaking skeletons man...

Pinwheel, though, was a piece of cake, but I feel like I'm way overleveled for this place (SL 61). Loved the dungeon anyways, running around trying to find those mages, falling into holes, finding shortcuts, etc. There's a special place in hell for the guy that design that hole that
leads into a Black Knight.

Clevinger

Fuck the Tomb of Giants is freaking tense. Just fell into the abbyss, lost 43k souls, my human form and one soft humanity.

Those freaking skeletons man...

Pinwheel, though, was a piece of cake, but I feel like I'm way overleveled for this place (SL 61). Loved the dungeon anyways, running around trying to find those mages, falling into holes, finding shortcuts, etc. There's a special place in hell for the guy that design that hole that
leads into a Black Knight.

Are you sure you don't mean Catacombs?
Nito
is in Tomb of the Giants, not Pinwheel.

Eusis

Pinwheel, though, was a piece of cake, but I feel like I'm way overleveled for this place (SL 61).
I'm pretty sure that Pinwheel would make beginning Pyromancers seem overleveled, and Deprived over-equipped. The real boss fight are the wheel skeletons.

2AdEPT

What's a good way to kill the Hellkite Wyvern? I'm a melee character on NG+ and this guy is driving me crazy. I want to be beat him.
Darkmoon blade +15 washing pole...two hand . 1 combo 2swings to the face, 1 dead wyvern.
Yes stay by his butt and run when he aoe farts..so wtf do you do when he farts every 2 seconds regardless if your kissing the strays butt? lol

What a joke. Not to mention I can't see jack when I am kissin butt.

haha forget this boss all he does is aoe fart regardless of where I am LOL.

you obviously can't just lounge around in fart radius then...the formula for this POS enables you to lose zero health after the fall MOST of the time...every once in a while there is a cheap slam and dead just after you fall, but not usually....that said it took me a while to believe it was that easy ....but it is...just like everyone says...stay behind...but you will be ALWAYS giving AOE respect by only going in right after an AOE for 1 or 2 hits then high tailing it back out, then behind (which can take a while sometimes...such that you never really stop runnig the WHOLE fight)....if you are not experiencing it this way you are doing it wrong.....only other strategy that I have seen work is the belly title and butt slam lock...but that one is fallible more so than the standard run behind and respect AOE routine.

Top Bottom