• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

rizz

Neo Member
stay to her front-right side and you should be able to roll through her melee attacks and attack while she's in the attack animation. It's a matter of learning all of her different attacks, you need to know when she's going to do that AOE blast and get the hell away. If you're around SL20-30 I can try to help you later tonight.

- lock on and circle strafe forever
- hit it when it stops to spit fire
- watch the sexy part closely because when it droops it does the aoe explosion
- you can actually stay UNDER its front legs on either side and strafe/attack safely without getting hit by any attacks the whole battle, although you will have to watch for lava/explosion

Two hand your weapon, hack that ho everywhere, then roll back when she leans down to embrace her spiderhead--that's when she does her AOE explosion. Just stepping back owns her swipes and you can move to the side to avoid her stabs, which have looooong, telegraphed animations.

Finally, when the area you're in gets clogged up with lava, just run to the other end to effectively reset it. The area is huge for a reason.

Thanks for the tips guys! I do manage to take a big chunk of her life. But then I die. I ain't giving up that easy though. Also I thought its a pretty neat design choice to have a spider spew lava instead of web.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure that Pinwheel would make beginning Pyromancers seem overleveled, and Deprived over-equipped. The real boss fight are the wheel skeletons.
Didn't find them troublesome either, but maybe I was just lucky. I went to the wheel skeleton area twice, the first time they ganged up below where I was so I just did the drop attack and killed three in one hit, then just beat the rest of them fairly easily, hitting them once or twice with my bow before getting serious with my Iaito+10. The second time I dropped from another place and just run past them into the white fog.

Sarcasm

I am finding it hard to defeat those silver knight dudes after those archer guys outside in anor...

I can't parry..I tried watching videos and doing it for over an hour. Nope. I can't seem to backstab them..I think maybe once or twice I have.

They chew my HP and eat my endurance...=S

Ledsen

I am finding it hard to defeat those silver knight dudes after those archer guys outside in anor...

I can't parry..I tried watching videos and doing it for over an hour. Nope. I can't seem to backstab them..I think maybe once or twice I have.

They chew my HP and eat my endurance...=S

What shield are you using? The sword knights are super easy to parry, the spear ones less so.

Could someone kindly offer some advice on what to do now to make the game easier for me?
I am a lvl 38 pyromancer, though I am playing more like a melee character. Big thanks for advice :)

Vit 20
Att 12
End 16
Str 20
Dex 17
Res 14
Int 14
Fai 8

I have picked up loads of things but really unsure what to do with them. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Queleeg is next on my hit list, i'm currently resting at the blighttown swamp bonfire, human and the boulder throwing trolls vanquished.

Titanite Shard x 2
Large titanite x 3
Titanite chunk x 3
Green titanite shard x 2
Twinkling titanite x 2
Demon titanite x 1
Dragon Scale x 1
Soul of the moonlight butterfly x 1

Shields.. Knight, Spider, Crystal, Eagle

Rings.. Tearstone, Evil eye, Favor and Protection (equipped)

Swords... Drake, Crystal, Zweihander+1, Falchion, Butcher knife, Great Axe, Dragon king axe, Morning star, Great club, Spear+2, Halberd+1, Short bow+2

Sarcasm

What shield are you using? The sword knights are super easy to parry, the spear ones less so.

I just got a drop called Silver Knight Shield. Other than that I have access to some. Been using Spider.

I made my way to the boss in anor I think..giant hallway and two dudes? What and where is quickest way bonfire?

zkylon

zkylewd
That's a very good shield - probably the best all-around medium shield in the game for defensive purposes.
I like Crest Shield better, magic attacks are more common than lighting.

I just got a drop called Silver Knight Shield. Other than that I have access to some. Been using Spider.

I made my way to the boss in anor I think..giant hallway and two dudes? What and where is quickest way bonfire?
Before entering the room with the giant armor dudes, there's a long hallway with two doors on the sides. One of them leads to one of those titanite demons (the headless dudes), the other to a room full of dragon heads on the walls. Go down the stairs in the dragon heads room to unlock a shortcut to the bonfire you found Solaire in.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Having trouble beating quelaag. It especially hurts that I don't have any decent gear against fire.

Run around the bottom campfire as a human, you should get invaded by an NPC called Maneater Mildred. She's easy to kill and becomes available to summon for Quelaag after you kill her. She makes Quelaag hilariously easy.

Zeliard

I like Crest Shield better, magic attacks are more common than lighting.

Fire is probably the most common form of elemental attack in PvE, and Silver Knight blocks 75% of it along with having much higher stability. Crest is more of a situational shield, the magic version of the Dragon Crest Shield. Black Knight Shield is another strong one for its super fire resistance and high stability.

My personal favorite is the Grass Crest Shield for its stamina buff.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, stability might be it, I really don't upgrade this shields since I'm wasting all my twinkling titanite on Lautrec's pimpin' armor.

Fire is probably the most common form of elemental attack in PvE, and Silver Knight blocks 75% of it along with having much higher stability. Crest is more of a situational shield, the magic version of the Dragon Crest Shield. Black Knight Shield is another strong one for its super fire resistance and high stability.

My personal favorite is the Grass Crest Shield for its stamina buff.
This is what I've been using on my first playthrough (just got
the Lordvessel
), upgraded to +5, but I have Crest and Silver Knight as well, so maybe I should upgrade those to be flexible.

Zeliard

If you beat Seath you can get tons of twinkling titanite from the clams near his area, and it's especially quick and easy since you have a bonfire right there. With 410 item discovery they'll drop almost every time. One of the best parts about all these shields is they upgrade to max using only twinkling titanite, so you don't have to waste a slab on them.

Crest is one I always keep around and fully-upgraded in case I'm up against annoying magic users.

Grass Crest is wonderful for its stamina buff and negligible weight, and it stacks with other stamina buffs. It blocks 95% physical instead of 100%, but that can be relatively trivial if your armor defenses are strong enough and you get good at rolling and/or parrying.

mxgt

Banned
Jesus some players who summon me are just horrible, so annoying when they die so I don't get a Sunlight Medal!

Guy just stands there and allows himself to get destroyed by Gaping Dragon's attacks. I just want to slap him.

Clevinger

Jesus some players who summon me are just horrible, so annoying when they die so I don't get a Sunlight Medal!

Guy just stands there and allows himself to get destroyed by Gaping Dragon's attacks. I just want to slap him.

A little while ago I fought Quelaag and I had the worst host ever.

My life got low, then it got so low that I only had a tiny sliver of health left. My host did nothing. I followed him around, doing weird circles and movements, trying to tell him to notice my non-existent health and to use a fucking estus flask, but he just wouldn't do it. And the hilarious thing is, his health kept getting low too, and the fucker would just use a healing spell instead.

Anyways, I said fuck it and fought Quelaag for a while. Then the host got his dumb ass killed.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Getting killed by a boss hardly qualifies someone as a horrible host. That's just one of the risks you run in co-op. Besides, if the host was able to dodge all of Gaping Dragon's attacks he'd have no need for a phantom anyhow. Them's the breaks.

The really, seriously horrible hosts are the ones who summon you then go AFK. Or, in the console version, AFC I guess. I once had a very memorable co-op session in which the host spent long periods of time either idling or shopping in Anor Londo. During various periods of total inactivity from the host I and another phantom killed three invaders, only to finally witness the host kamikaze into a chain-parrying fourth invader and promptly get riposted and killed.

The safest thing for the poor blighter to do during an invasion was literally to just put the controller down and let somebody else handle it. The one time he actually tried to do something he got himself killed near instantaneously. The whole thing beggared belief and was one of the most surreal Dark Souls experiences I've ever had.

Ledsen

Tomb of Giants is kind of making me want to take a long break from this game :/ God damn
dogs
after the second bonfire that require me to kite them to a large area where I can circle strafe them without risking falling off, it takes way too long and then I accidentally aggro someone above and get mauled to death in seconds and I have to do it all over again :( Yeah I think I might return to this game in a week or so, I'm not having fun at all in this part...

NBtoaster

Level 50 isn't too high to get summoned for Anor Londo right? Nobody is summoning and this is basically the last place where people consistently ask for help. If I move on I'll never get 10 sunlight medals :(

I've spent about an hour both near the bonfire and boss.

Game either needs a sale to boost the community or a patch to improve summoning or increase the level range.

edit: I forgot the new areas, people like to ask for help there..

Zeliard

I don't think it's an issue with community size so much as a network problem. A majority of the time that I manage to be summoned, the host continually attempts to summon a 2nd person and it fails on them 95% of the time, and after a certain point they just give up.

Between that and what others keep saying, it's safe to say that the reason for the dearth in summoning is that people are trying to summon and it keeps failing on them.

Tomb of Giants is kind of making me want to take a long break from this game :/ God damn
dogs
after the second bonfire that require me to kite them to a large area where I can circle strafe them without risking falling off, it takes way too long and then I accidentally aggro someone above and get mauled to death in seconds and I have to do it all over again :( Yeah I think I might return to this game in a week or so, I'm not having fun at all in this part...
You can run past all of them easily after the second bonfire.

zkylon

zkylewd
Level 50 isn't too high to get summoned for Anor Londo right? Nobody is summoning and this is basically the last place where people consistently ask for help. If I move on I'll never get 10 sunlight medals :(

Game either needs a sale to boost the community or a patch to improve summoning or increase the level range.

I got summoned 4 or 5 times being 61 in Anor Londo so you should be alright.

Zaventem

You know you can farm a certain mob that drops sunlight medals.It drops pretty regular too.

rizz

Neo Member
Really appreciate all the tips for quelaag. Finally beat her. Blighttown really wore me down. I think I'll take a break from Dark Souls.

Zeliard

Of course. I got past them pretty easily just now, rushed to the boss and got slaughtered.

Major tip for that boss:

Stay near the front when you get in, kill the three smaller skellies with a Divine weapon so they don't rez, and then don't venture too far in and you won't aggro the big skellies in the back.

By himself he's one of the easier bosses since he's super-slow and telegraphs everything.

legacyzero

Banned
Fuck the Tomb of Giants is freaking tense. Just fell into the abbyss, lost 43k souls, my human form and one soft humanity.

Those freaking skeletons man...

Pinwheel, though, was a piece of cake, but I feel like I'm way overleveled for this place (SL 61). Loved the dungeon anyways, running around trying to find those mages, falling into holes, finding shortcuts, etc. There's a special place in hell for the guy that design that hole that
leads into a Black Knight.
I fell as well.

Havnt picked it up again yet. That place creeps the hell out of me. Need the courage to pick it up again lol

Grief.exe

If you are at the second bonfire you are actually really close to the boss.

Word of advice, there is a massive skeleton archer on the way. Be careful because he has a buddy with a huge sword hidden right next to him. Dude kicked me off the ledge as soon as I came around the corner.

Raide

Spent my first few hours learning the controls and sorting out how the game works, especially weapon switching and spells. Already had a good few deaths caused by rushing through things but I am slowly learning. Will now pick a character and start to go through the game more seriously.

krakov

4 kings is always active 50-120 on consoles at least.

I wanted to be summoned a few more times before I finish my playthrough but I'm not having a lot of luck. I placed my sign right before Artorias's entrance at level 70. Too high?

Edit: I see people are talking about the poor summoning situation on this page. I'm more than a little annoyed at the complete neglect by From and Namco. It's not surprising but extremely irritating none-the-less.

Sarcasm

Bad sign..I can't take out the giant knights before the boss in anor londo in that church type building..the really big ones =/

NBtoaster

Had more luck getting summoned at level 55.

Though I may or may not have died a few times. Even at the same time as super fatty, but still got souls and a sunlight medal.

Had more luck getting summoned at level 55.

Though I may or may not have died a few times. Even at the same time as super fatty, but still got souls and a sunlight medal.

Yeah, earlier when I was at 45, I was summoned for S&O at a decent rate but I know from experience how horrible the summon success rate is on the other side.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this but I'm really starting to wish there was a way to turn off invasions and just, you know, play the game like the single player game it is.

There's never been a single time where I've been invaded and been like, "Oh boy, just what I wanted! This game was getting boring anyway." Invasions are always an annoying inconvenience and I hate how in order to take advantage of a small but nearly essential part of being human I have to basically consent to participate in the game's brutal multiplayer.

I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this but I'm really starting to wish there was a way to turn off invasions and just, you know, play the game like the single player game it is.

There's never been a single time where I've been invaded and been like, "Oh boy, just what I wanted! This game was getting boring anyway." Invasions are always an annoying inconvenience and I hate how in order to take advantage of a small but nearly essential part of being human I have to basically consent to participate in the game's brutal multiplayer.

you can send all phantoms home with the black crystal.

Wired

Man I've been thinking about picking it up on PC but I dunno. Don't really feel like starting over from the very beginning. Well, maybe I'll wait for a sale or something.

Man I've been thinking about picking it up on PC but I dunno. Don't really feel like starting over from the very beginning. Well, maybe I'll wait for a sale or something.

Typically if you have experience with a section, you can race through it in a minuscule fraction of the time it took you originally.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
you can send all phantoms home with the black crystal.

It's my understanding you can only crystal away summoned spirits. Back when I was still figuring out Dark Souls I tried to use it to get rid of an invader (because the description of the item makes it sound like it was intended for just that) but nothing happened.

Top Bottom