• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Gear is king. Maxing armor out or getting a weapon to +15, lightning +5, Chaos +5, etc, means you never have to concern yourself with it again in any playthrough with that character, and allows for a variety of low-level challenge runs. Maxing gear out is useful, and that often requires slabs, and slabs are highly rare, so farming slabs is useful.

Why this has to be explained to you is mystifying, but then again, you apparently weren't even aware that a variety of armor upgrades take slabs.

No, not getting hit is king. I am on NG+++ and have encountered absolutely zero chokes really (and PVP invasions generally end up in my favor to say the least). Learning to play the game properly with "lesser gear" (which is a weird term for Souls game equipment where they atleast attempt to balance things via different stat scalings and etc) the first time through means that you will never encounter problems, ever. I can practically speed run the game now.

Basically anything that subverts challenge in Dark Souls via wasting a lot my time I have no real interest in doing in the Souls games (especially when you could just... keep playing the game and get those materials naturally while also progressing at the same time - in a faster time span).

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe people just don't like my red clothes :(
There's a nice bit of luck involved, I think. I got summoned a lot in the afternoon, then I went to get some dinner, got back and farmed for a whole hour without getting summoned once.

I fell as well.

Havnt picked it up again yet. That place creeps the hell out of me. Need the courage to pick it up again lol
lol I did the same thing. Does giant skeletons are fucking scary and I don't know what's worse, not to have a shield or not to have vision.

Dresden

I'm starting this tonight (I think). Any suggestions for a first time player? Best class? Stats I should focus on, etc...?

Sorceror is the easiest as you one-shot a lot of the early enemies with your spells.

Pyromancer is a great option if you like melee and some balance of spellcasting. Also starts at level 1 so they're greatly customizable.

Grief.exe

I'm starting this tonight (I think). Any suggestions for a first time player? Best class? Stats I should focus on, etc...?

Try to go in as blind as possible. Don't spoil your first playthrough by reading up on too much stuff, there are a lot of surprises to be had in this game and a lot of the fun is figuring the stuff out.
At the end of the day, if you have died a few times to a boss, no harm in checking out a guide though. No point in beating your head against a wall.

As for starting class, I recommend the knight, warrior, or pyromancer. For your first playthrough really focus on just pumping End and Vit so you get your life, stamina, and equip weight higher. Gives you kind of a security blanket so you can make some mistakes.
Only put dex and str enough for weapons. Pyromancy is a good option since there is no stat investment.

Vaporak

I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this but I'm really starting to wish there was a way to turn off invasions and just, you know, play the game like the single player game it is.

There's never been a single time where I've been invaded and been like, "Oh boy, just what I wanted! This game was getting boring anyway." Invasions are always an annoying inconvenience and I hate how in order to take advantage of a small but nearly essential part of being human I have to basically consent to participate in the game's brutal multiplayer.

There is a way to play it single player, you play offline.

mxgt

Banned
Nah. It gives him options. And he's not going to magically wander into Blighttown underlevelled or anything. The other items are useless anyway.

It's a possibility. Knowing nothing there's 3 ways to go from Firelink, could easily wander into New Londo and go up to Blight town and Valley of Drakes and have no idea what the fuck is going on.

This info would be cool if you said what the heck mob drops it.

Chaos Bugs in Lost Izalith

Hakkuei

I'm SL21 and I just rang the first bell, should I buy the Crest of Artorias now or use the souls to level up?

Oh and fuck those HL assholes camping the church. Every time I'm waiting to get summoned, I get caught off guard and killed savagely. In the end I lost more humanity than I gained lol

mxgt

Banned
how? you get access to the astoria sword, plus armor, plus early access to sections. You get direct access to Pyro training, skip the top of blightown too.

You think a first time player knows any of this? these things aren't needed, especially in a first time playthrough. The game already throws you in at the deep end without the master key.

Vaporak

how? you get access to the astoria sword, plus armor, plus early access to sections. You get direct access to Pyro training, skip the top of blightown too.

You seem to be advocating skipping content to a new player, I don't think that's a good way to go at all. The master key exists almost solely to sequence break, not something I'd suggest to a new player.

Haunted

It's a possibility. Knowing nothing there's 3 ways to go from Firelink, could easily wander into New Londo and go up to Blight town and Valley of Drakes and have no idea what the fuck is going on.
It opens up a couple more options, that's good.

What gift would you recommend? They're pretty much all garbage except for the Master key, imo.

Dascu

You seem to be advocating skipping content to a new player, I don't think that's a good way to go at all. The master key exists almost solely to sequence break, not something I'd suggest to a new player.

1. You can get some useful items early on thanks to the Master Key. Something that might get a first-time player through a tough bossfight.
2. Early access to areas like Blighttown is completely optional, not actually all that far into the game, and it's almost impossible not to realize you're not quite supposed to go there yet anyway, especially if you pay attention to the NPC dialogue.
3. You get the key anyway if you pick Thief. From Soft was obviously not that worried about a first-time player getting their hands on it.

JeTmAn81

Ornstein and Smough keep sodomizing me.

;~;

Been running these guys today, have been doing ok at it. Killed Ornstein once so far. My basic strategy is to keep distance and hit with my pyro attacks. I have decided i would like some help though and i had no humanity so i left and made my first visit to Darkroot Garden. It's kind of nice being overleveled for an area. Killed the Moonlight Butterfly easily, now just passed the Artorias door. A ridiculous number of ents swarmed me at one point, had to back off and flame then.

Dresden

It opens up a couple more options, that's good.

What gift would you recommend? They're pretty much all garbage except for the Master key, imo.

The old witch's ring does unlock a conversation with a single NPC earlier than you'd normally be able to do so. Asides from that, yeah, garbo all around.

Clevinger

I'm SL21 and I just rang the first bell, should I buy the Crest of Artorias now or use the souls to level up?

Oh and fuck those HL assholes camping the church. Every time I'm waiting to get summoned, I get caught off guard and killed savagely. In the end I lost more humanity than I gained lol

You don't need the Crest for a while, unless you
want to join the Forest Covenant.

Dresden

What incredible value for a first time player. :p

Yeah, Master Key it is.

For a first time player? Certainly. More background info/lore, considering just when he'll reach that area, is always nice.

Problem with the master key is that it's only really useful when you're already familiar with the game, and you can purchase it early on, as well, earlier than the chance to acquire a similar ring.

Haunted

Problem with the master key is that it's only really useful when you're already familiar with the game, and you can purchase it early on, as well, earlier than the chance to acquire a similar ring.
I didn't know you could actually buy the master key, did they patch that in recently?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to summon some folks to fight the Capra Demon today, but each time I got a Summon Failed message. I tried with like 10 different people.

Do I need to mess with some settings somewhere to get the online to work in this?

theta11

I tried to summon some folks to fight the Capra Demon today, but each time I got a Summon Failed message. I tried with like 10 different people.

Do I need to mess with some settings somewhere to get the online to work in this?
I've had the same luck as you, there's some things people say to do like port fowarding but I've already done that with no success but I vaguely remember the PS3 having summoning problems right at the start as well. Maybe my memory is bad.
Is there anything other than the skull lamp you can use to see in the dark?

Sunlight Maggot helmet or Light magic spell also work.

Just finished my playthrough. I remember dying over and over again on my first PS3 playthrough when I first fought Gwyn but this time I finished him first try without breaking a sweat.

Such a very special game. A huge thanks to Durante for making this version so much better.

gogogow

The Dukes of Archives.

Anyone know how to get those items? I missed so many items when playing the PS3 version, so I try to get all of them in the PC version.

ds2012-09-15_17-41-45ryo9a.jpg

Grief.exe

For the first one you have to rotate the stairs above it then jump off at the perfect time to get the item.

The second one, just climb up the ladder to leave the prison, then turn to your right at the top, then drop down. EDIT: Actually this one is wrong I was thinking of the wrong item, that one is lower down and actually I don't know how to get that one ;)

When you've searched all the cells, you'll find a key that lets you open another door from the bonfire cell. From there you can go outside and drop down from the ledges, and eventually down onto the snakeman balcony.

If it's what I'm thinking of, you'll get an extra key in one of the cells that can be used to open the other locked door in the cell with the bonfire.

Edit: beaten

d0c_zaius

You think a first time player knows any of this? these things aren't needed, especially in a first time playthrough. The game already throws you in at the deep end without the master key.

no but they would easily find it by exploring, vs not having those as options.

nothing is needed, but things help obviously. some help the earlier you get them.

regardless, you claiming its the worst choice is a tad bit extreme vs items that literally do nothing.

Sullichin

Wut da fux. Go to load a game and the game goes briefly to windowed mode, then fullscreen, I can hear sound but the screen is black, and flashes white every few seconds. Alt+F4'd and started again and the same thing happened except this time followed up by a BSOD.

Re-downloaded DSFix and I'm good again. I must have deleted a character or something in the INI

Puckmarin

Banned
Holy Crap!

I heard this game was hard but I had no idea.

Think I'm going to switch from Pyromancer to Knight or Warrior (what is the difference between the two?) as I don't really like the magic that much.

Also, take Master's Key or the Ring?

gogogow

For the first one you have to rotate the stairs above it then jump off at the perfect time to get the item.

The second one, just climb up the ladder to leave the prison, then turn to your right at the top, then drop down. EDIT: Actually this one is wrong I was thinking of the wrong item, that one is lower down and actually I don't know how to get that one ;)

When you've searched all the cells, you'll find a key that lets you open another door from the bonfire cell. From there you can go outside and drop down from the ledges, and eventually down onto the snakeman balcony.

If it's what I'm thinking of, you'll get an extra key in one of the cells that can be used to open the other locked door in the cell with the bonfire.

Edit: beaten

Will try tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I feel like I might have missed out on a spell merchant or two with my Int. build. I just got to Anor Londo and my offensive spellcasting still mostly consists of types of soul arrows. The only spell seller I've really come across so far is the one I saved in the Undead Burg. Are there others?

EasyMode

I feel like I might have missed out on a spell merchant or two with my Int. build. I just got to Anor Londo and my offensive spellcasting still mostly consists of types of soul arrows. The only spell seller I've really come across so far is the one I saved in the Undead Burg. Are there others?

There's another one stuck in a cage in Sen's Fortress. You'll need to redirect the boulder contraption to open up a wall.

Edit: beaten again lol

Edit 2:
Also, take Master's Key or the Ring?
I say master's key. Witch's ring just gives you a few lines of dialogue that you wouldn't get otherwise. It's neat, but not important. The other ring is useless. Master's key opens up the game a bit more in the beginning. It tells you when you use it, so if an area you go through because of it is too difficult you could always just go back on the main path, but it's nice to have the option.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Beat the Capra Demon finally. I guess it's off to Blight Town next?

I feel like I still don't have a great weapon. It's not bad (Astora's Sword or whatever from under the Undead Dragon), but the damage is a bit low.

linko9

That Manus fight's pretty tough on NG+. Prolly the hardest fight for me. I got lucky and he didn't use the dark blast spell the time I beat him. That eats through all my stamina blocking, and then 1HKOs me.

Top Bottom