• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

No, not getting hit is king. I am on NG+++ and have encountered absolutely zero chokes really (and PVP invasions generally end up in my favor to say the least). Learning to play the game properly with "lesser gear" (which is a weird term for Souls game equipment where they atleast attempt to balance things via different stat scalings and etc) the first time through means that you will never encounter problems, ever. I can practically speed run the game now.

Basically anything that subverts challenge in Dark Souls via wasting a lot my time I have no real interest in doing in the Souls games (especially when you could just... keep playing the game and get those materials naturally while also progressing at the same time - in a faster time span).

Gear transfers to NG+ and beyond. If you have upgraded it in NG then you never have to worry about it again. I'm not sure how upgraded gear subverts challenge, especially coming from a guy who has probably upgraded Vitality and other stats. If you aren't doing an SL1 naked calamity ring non-backstab punching run, you're messing with the true challenge of never getting hit and playing the game "properly."

It would take you several playthroughs to amass the amount of titanite slabs through natural drops needed to fully upgrade sets of armor and weaponry. It's beneficial to get everything out of the way in NG where you have all the embers and where it's quickest - upgrading things, picking up every item, etc - so that subsequent playthroughs are purely focused on progression and experimentation.

zkylon

zkylewd
Said fuck it, I'll just beat the Tomb of Giants without no spells, they're for pansies anyways. So freaking terrifying...

I have no regrets lol

Zeliard

Blacksmith upgrades (embers) should just transfer to NG+, too. Pain in the ass that they don't.

Yeah that's a fairly unnecessary annoyance. A lot of people end up doing suicide runs to get stuff like the Chaos ember earlier.

Said fuck it, I'll just beat the Tomb of Giants without no spells, they're for pansies anyways. So freaking terrifying...

It's feasible to do so since you have those prism stones to guide the way. You just have to be verrrry careful. Very first time I did the Tomb it was early Dark Souls days and without a light source. You had to practically be on top of an enemy to see them.

It was very slow going but the sense of danger and ominous atmosphere was basically unmatched. Then when you finally get to
a more lit part of the area
, it was such an amazing (temporary) reprieve. And seeing a bonfire was just blissful.

One of my most memorable experiences in a game. It's why I have a fondness for the level even though many others despise it. :p

Sullichin

Sloww summoning out there. Level 23 and helping some people with Capra but no one will summon me for anywhere else - trying Gaping Dragon and Quelaag.

Zeliard

Yeah put them down near the bonfire inside the cathedral. If you put them down around the boss door, you may get a few bites, but chances are people will have already summoned a bonfire person + Solaire.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's feasible to do so since you have those prism stones to guide the way. You just have to be verrrry careful. Very first time I did the Tomb it was early Dark Souls days and without a light source. You had to practically be on top of an enemy to see them.

It was very slow going but the sense of danger and ominous atmosphere was basically unmatched. Then when you finally get to
a more lit part of the area
, it was such an amazing (temporary) reprieve. And seeing a bonfire was just blissful.

One of my most memorable experiences in a game. It's why I have a fondness for the level even though many others despise it. :p
Yeah, I actually like it a lot as I did like the Catacombs but it's pretty nerve-wrecking. And I just feel I did a very bad thing:
said I was a cleric to Patches, then killed him when he attacked me

Zeliard

Yeah, I actually like it a lot as I did like the Catacombs but it's pretty nerve-wrecking. And I just feel I did a very bad thing:
said I was a cleric to Patches, then killed him when he attacked me

You monster.

Three are relatively close. Well one is bit far. One is down the move-able bridge thing and one in building. Other is across bridge.

You want the one inside the building where Solaire was hanging out.

Really what is the best route to go with a bow for highest damage? Something other than physical or maybe use the darkmoon bow or black bow of pharis?

Also lost out on moonlight greatsword, but wasn't going to use it anyway, guess I'll grab one in ng+ down the line.

Vaporak

Joined the Darkmoon with one of my characters and tried to do some invasions in Anor Londo, but nothing ever worked. Damn networking issues. >.>

linko9

Really what is the best route to go with a bow for highest damage? Something other than physical or maybe use the darkmoon bow or black bow of pharis?

Also lost out on moonlight greatsword, but wasn't going to use it anyway, guess I'll grab one in ng+ down the line.

Pharis +15 with 40 dex is your best bet. I guess some really easy enemies might take more damage from an upgraded darkmoon bow with the relevant stats increased, but because much of that damage is magic, it's not as effective.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't know what moron thought the ruins map is good for duels but hopefully it gets removed at some point. All you have to do is get the lead and then run away.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
This game...

This game...

I'm level 8 and I've died so many f'ing times already, mainly because of my own stupidity.

It's hilarious how this game brings out the dumb in me. Well, it's not like that isn't hard to do already :p but I die a lot due to my own carelessness and stupidity. In a game that rewards patience and attentiveness this game really makes me want to act the opposite for some reason.

Sullichin

I don't know what moron thought the ruins map is good for duels but hopefully it gets removed at some point. All you have to do is get the lead and then run away.

Are you getting matches consistently? if so, what SL? it's pretty much a nonexistent part of the game for me because it hardly ever works for me.

Pharis +15 with 40 dex is your best bet. I guess some really easy enemies might take more damage from an upgraded darkmoon bow with the relevant stats increased, but because much of that damage is magic, it's not as effective.

Awesome thanks, I think I'll convert my long bow +10 into a base darkmoon until I get there.

Dresden

40 dex + Pharis+15

40str/40dex + Composite Bow+15

Darkmoon Bow for faith, or an Enchanted Pharis works too. Problem: you need moonlight arrows to maximum effect. Problem: moonlight arrows are pricey. Problem: without moonlight arrows your damage gets split across different resistances.

Physical is the easiest.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are you getting matches consistently? if so, what SL? it's pretty much a nonexistent part of the game for me because it hardly ever works for me.

Not exactly. Sometimes I am instantly matched up with someone and other times I end up waiting for half an hour despite seeing 5 red rings on the opposite trapdoor. This is with both a SL100 and SL120 character.

40 dex + Pharis+15

40str/40dex + Composite Bow+15

Darkmoon Bow for faith, or an Enchanted Pharis works too. Problem: you need moonlight arrows to maximum effect. Problem: moonlight arrows are pricey. Problem: without moonlight arrows your damage gets split across different resistances.

Physical is the easiest.

Thank you.

Eusis

In regards to the Master Key: now that you can just buy it from Domhall of Zena I'd pass on that for a first time player, although it might be worth trying on a secondary character just to see quickly what's behind some of those doors. Definitely one of the most memorable experiences the game has to offer.

YOU DIED

One more question that I could probably just find out by getting there but... what is the farthest point I can progress to, to be able to warp around and co-op/farm/pvp throughout the world, without triggering NG+? Is there any soul limit, before NG+?

Puckmarin

Banned
In regards to the Master Key: now that you can just buy it from Domhall of Zena I'd pass on that for a first time player, although it might be worth trying on a secondary character just to see quickly what's behind some of those doors. Definitely one of the most memorable experiences the game has to offer.

YOU DIED

Yup. That just happened to me because of the Master Key. Starting to regret taking it :)

linko9

One more question that I could probably just find out by getting there but... what is the farthest point I can progress to, to be able to warp around and co-op/farm/pvp throughout the world, without triggering NG+? Is there any soul limit, before NG+?

There's no point of no return. Once you beat the final boss, NG+ starts, so if you don't want to start NG+, just don't fight the final boss.

Veronica

Banned
I'm already dying for another expansion. I love the new areas, bosses, and dat lore, son. DAT LORE. I love a game that doesn't spoon feed you its story. Piecing the history together with friends is so much fun.

Game is glorious.

KSai

ds2012-09-15_17-59-35jur5l.jpg
You know the bonfire you just got kicked into after Seath's room? Stay in your cell and walk all the way past your roommates and then you'll see a second door.

rolled a new character, though I still haven't finished the game with one yet since I freaking love the progression systems so much that I'm having a great time exploring them.

for the sake of pvp fun I decided to join the forest hunters, definitely a good way to get pretty much constant action. yesterday I invaded a guy who was already fighting someone so I walked over to check it out and he took a swing at me. deciding that it was then on like the proverbial donkey kong, I whipped out my blade and buried it in his havel-wearing butt.

his health dropped to nearly nothing, so I ran around and got ready to try and butt-stab him once more to finish him off. his health suddenly shot back to full and stopped dropping when I hit him. so I decided fighting was pointless, stood back and let him kill me then left.

a little while later I got summoned into his game again, so I stoned out because I'm not going to waste my time fighting a cheater. he then sends me a message calling me bundle of sticks for butt-stabbing him and saying I should come back and fight him. so I reply that there's not much point since he's a cheater but I was glad that he enjoyed getting butt-stabbed by me so much. this was his reply, paraphrased:

"I'm all about honour in dark souls, something you wouldn't understand. So I used less than honourable means to deal with the [bundle of sticks]"

my response was basically "hahahahahahahahahahah what?" so there you have it folks, it's okay to cheat as long as it's honourable cheating.

zkylon

zkylewd
rolled a new character, though I still haven't finished the game with one yet since I freaking love the progression systems so much that I'm having a great time exploring them.

for the sake of pvp fun I decided to join the forest hunters, definitely a good way to get pretty much constant action. yesterday I invaded a guy who was already fighting someone so I walked over to check it out and he took a swing at me. deciding that it was then on like the proverbial donkey kong, I whipped out my blade and buried it in his havel-wearing butt.

his health dropped to nearly nothing, so I ran around and got ready to try and butt-stab him once more to finish him off. his health suddenly shot back to full and stopped dropping when I hit him. so I decided fighting was pointless, stood back and let him kill me then left.

a little while later I got summoned into his game again, so I stoned out because I'm not going to waste my time fighting a cheater. he then sends me a message calling me bundle of sticks for butt-stabbing him and saying I should come back and fight him. so I reply that there's not much point since he's a cheater but I was glad that he enjoyed getting butt-stabbed by me so much. this was his reply, paraphrased:

"I'm all about honour in dark souls, something you wouldn't understand. So I used less than honourable means to deal with the [bundle of sticks]"

my response was basically "hahahahahahahahahahah what?" so there you have it folks, it's okay to cheat as long as it's honourable cheating.
That guy's a honorable [bundle of sticks]

elohel

I keep asking because I'm curious how many people posting here are completely new(to dark souls) pc only gamers?

surprised this thread still has this much momentum

Gvaz

Banned
Holy Crap!

I heard this game was hard but I had no idea.

Think I'm going to switch from Pyromancer to Knight or Warrior (what is the difference between the two?) as I don't really like the magic that much.

Also, take Master's Key or the Ring?
Magic is overpowered. It makes the game super easy.

Just read the wiki, seems I can't get her back until I get to Lost Izalith, wherever that is :(

No idea about the sunlight maggots either :/
Just go to the darkroot basin, kill the golem. after you do that, reload the game, go to the summon sign on the other side of the lake near the elite knight armor, then buy the shit from her. Don't kill her, she doesn't drop anything of value.

When you reload, go back to where you killed the golem after you summon her. It spawns her clothing over there.

zkylon

zkylewd
I keep asking because I'm curious how many people posting here are completely new(to dark souls) pc only gamers?

It's a great game and a perfect fit for PC. Why wouldn't it be this big?

Just go to the darkroot basin, kill the golem. after you do that, reload the game, go to the summon sign on the other side of the lake near the elite knight armor, then buy the shit from her. Don't kill her, she doesn't drop anything of value.

When you reload, go back to where you killed the golem after you summon her. It spawns her clothing over there.
Thanks. I'll make sure to go by there after I kill Nito, since I already got to him with the skull lamp (albeit much painfully so).

joe2187

Banned

Co-op so far is hit and miss, was summoned in Oolicile township, only to have the guy just stand back and run away every time an enemy came near, and only attacked with the fist animation whenever he was cornered. He expected me to just do everything for him

Vaporak

Ugh, trying to PvP tonight and got the same guy twice in a row who can swing his sword 20ft away from me and score a hit. Really kills the mood. :/

NBtoaster

How come I have a bunch of red enemies in my game that look like phantoms? I didn't get an invader prompt or anything.

Your world is cursed by a gravelord, which adds additional tough enemies. You can find the summon sign of a gravelord somewhere in the area to invade their world and kill them to fix it.

Lvl 17 darkwraith + lightning shotel +5 + xanthous set is fun

And mean.

butts

And mean.

It really is, but after dozens of hours of getting invaded myself it feels kind of liberating to be on the ass whooping side. I enjoy the coop way more but it takes forever to get summoned, if it even works.

(305 damage on a full block, damn)

fionel

Sorceries from Soul Spear and others that require higher INT makes the bosses almost trivial. The new dark spells are probably the biggest offenders. One casting of Dark Bead with all the hits connecting did 1.5k damage to Nito for me.

Seeing how I am running out of things to do in-game I joined the Darkmoon covenant and tried out some PvP action. I played about 6-8 games and almost everyone (myself included) use Pursuers. Granted, after the first casting both combatants usually become close enough to each other and then all is fair game, but obviously everyone uses it b/c its so goddamn good. Have to play some more PvP for a verdict but these new spells might be better off with a nerf.

Hypron

Sorceries from Soul Spear and others that require higher INT makes the bosses almost trivial. The new dark spells are probably the biggest offenders. One casting of Dark Bead with all the hits connecting did 1.5k damage to Nito for me.

Seeing how I am running out of things to do in-game I joined the Darkmoon covenant and tried out some PvP action. I played about 6-8 games and almost everyone (myself included) use Pursuers. Granted, after the first casting both combatants usually become close enough to each other and then all is fair game, but obviously everyone uses it b/c its so goddamn good. Have to play some more PvP for a verdict but these new spells might be better off with a nerf.

Is "pursuers" the dark spell that sends 4/5 homing projectiles? I tried invading a bit last week and I found that spell very annoying to avoid even when <25% load, and on top of that it does lots of damage even when blocked with a crest shield... Actually all the new dark spells are a pain in the ass when you are not a caster yourself.

NBtoaster

Is "pursuers" the dark spell that sends 4/5 homing projectiles? I tried invading a bit last week and I found that spell very annoying to avoid even when <25% load, and on top of that it does lots of damage even when blocked with a crest shield... Actually all the new dark spells are a pain in the ass when you are not a caster yourself.

The silver pendant can block them.

Top Bottom