• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

Co-op so far is hit and miss, was summoned in Oolicile township, only to have the guy just stand back and run away every time an enemy came near, and only attacked with the fist animation whenever he was cornered. He expected me to just do everything for him

I find it sort of adorable when that happens.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Terrified hosts are hilarious. My favorites are the ones who put on Havel's or similar high-poise armor and then two-hand a shield and never stop blocking. They get bonus points if they have the Grass Crest Shield or Sanctus on their back, 'cause then you know that they thought their turtle strategy through.

I actually find that sort of player endearing. It's incredibly frustrating as a phantom to have the host get themselves killed, but that almost never happens with a host who refuses to fight and who has focused every single piece of equipment on pure survivability.

Shine on, you crazy, skittish diamonds. Shine on.

fionel

Is "pursuers" the dark spell that sends 4/5 homing projectiles? I tried invading a bit last week and I found that spell very annoying to avoid even when <25% load, and on top of that it does lots of damage even when blocked with a crest shield... Actually all the new dark spells are a pain in the ass when you are not a caster yourself.

Yes that's the spell, and like someone said above it can be repelled with a silver pendant. The reason why it does lots of damage even when you blocked it with a crest shield is b/c these dark spells actually does physical damage. So I assume blocking all 5 tears up all your stamina and that proceeds to do damage as if you didnt block? Anyway, even though I use it myself it is annoying.

Zeliard

Terrified hosts are hilarious. My favorites are the ones who put on Havel's or similar high-poise armor and then two-hand a shield and never stop blocking. They get bonus points if they have the Grass Crest Shield or Sanctus on their back, 'cause then you know that they thought their turtle strategy through.

I actually find that sort of player endearing. It's incredibly frustrating as a phantom to have the host get themselves killed, but that almost never happens with a host who refuses to fight and who has focused every single piece of equipment on pure survivability.

It's particularly hilarious when they get scared. I was helping someone through Tomb of the Giants once back on PS3 in the earlier days and we arrived at the dogs, and the instant he saw one he literally turned tail and bolted away. After I killed the dog I actually had to go back and look for him. I couldn't stop laughing.

haha my favourite invasion the guy must've not known what a dragon eye stone was.. but he touched it anyway. he ran away as soon as i spawned in in undeadburg and hid on the roof. I chased him around for about 20 minutes, in the end I there was some argy-bargy on a ladder and I was forced to knock him off. he fell straight into a group of ~4 undead, poor fellow.

oh bonus tip 2handing a shield is pretty helpful during bed of chaos.

Dresden

Probably my favorite shield to two-hand.

NzrZI.jpg

I had a lightning +5 bonewheel and the R2 hit like a truck.

NBtoaster

I'm glad I went through Tomb of the Giants with my sound down. The dog noises are very unnerving.

The dogs are the worst enemy in the game by far. Followed by Bed of Chaos then bonewheel skeletons.

2AdEPT

It's a possibility. Knowing nothing there's 3 ways to go from Firelink, could easily wander into New Londo and go up to Blight town and Valley of Drakes and have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Chaos Bugs in Lost Izalith

what does that have to do with the master key...you can wander into catacombs or new londo without it. The master key enables you to go through the bell tower to do the hydra early ad get magic, it helps you get to the astora sword and dragon shield, and of course the back door to blighttown which of course is an easier way for noobs to do the 2nd bell. Plus it helps save Logan in sens....it is easily the best gift by a long shot, and does not hurt more than help.

Probably my favorite shield to two-hand.

I had a lightning +5 bonewheel and the R2 hit like a truck.

Fun weapon for sure....hate the requirements though...its pretty much strength characters only.....really fun to do those once in awhile though and get this shield with Dragonslayer greatbow.

Zeliard

People always talk about the Master Key as something that either helps or hinders the player, but I just view it simply as a way to offer the player freedom to explore and carve their own path through. You impose fewer restrictions on the player, and it's ultimately far more liberating.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah man I'm in such a bad place right now. Lost more than 80k souls and 3 humanities just getting from bonfire 2 to Nito, and the guy gets me in just a few hits.

The only divine weapon I have that I can wield is the Silver Knight Spear, so I guess I'm gonna upgrade that a bit, see how that fares.

Zeliard

Use a fire weapon on Nito; divine weapons on the smaller skeletons so they don't pester you. Don't aggro the big ones in the back. Just stay towards the front of the arena.

before I forget, someone was asking about upgrading the notched whip and was told it's not worth it. all I know is that one of my characters is rocking a lightning whip now and it shreds things pretty handily.

also, it's a fucking whip.

Raide

When Dark Souls first came out, I did watch loads of Epic Name Bro and scanned the Wiki's. When I started playing it recently I utterly forgot everything, so its like I am going blind through this.

1) Joypad is the way forward. The amount of times I died when using the Mouse and Keyboard was nuts. Just really stupid camera and control deaths. Get a pad! I wish I could swap the Parry to the Left Bumper and Block to the Left Trigger. Feels a bit odd the way it is.

2)This game is hard. Not in a cruel way but in a fair "You did something stupid, so die!" way. Combat is taking a while and the first few enemies can still rock you. It was not until a bit later and some upgrading did I feel confident enough to just run through them and one-shot them. At least I know I am getting better!

3) Adventuring can be deadly. I took the key but maybe I should have saved that for NG+. Went to Blighttown...got smacked by some fat dude, so I left there. When to the Darkroot Basin, went through a fog gate and met a butterfly...did not end well. The game has a very clear way of telling you "You ain't ready for this."

4) I am so glad my PC runs this with the fix. Game is damn stunning in places and the atmosphere is dripping. Having my first real run through these zones is awesome., especially now since you can see all the little details around. Thanks to those that showed off screenshots and impressions to keep me teased and then CatPee who pushed me over the edge. Love this game, even if Capra is currently rocking my world...to death.

zkylon

zkylewd
Of course right after I post this I destroy Nito's ass. I did reinforce my Silver Knight Spear to +4, but I had to put down those skeletons like 4 or 5 times before they finally decided to die.

before I forget, someone was asking about upgrading the notched whip and was told it's not worth it. all I know is that one of my characters is rocking a lightning whip now and it shreds things pretty handily.

also, it's a fucking whip.

was probably me who said it wasn't worth it. Don't listen to me though, currently carrying regular whip +10 splashing sunlight blade on it for swooshy wooshy shiny lashings.

Indeed, it is a fucking whip >:D

It just disappoints me that there's no parry/backstab or falling attack :/ that's half my moveset gone.

was probably me who said it wasn't worth it. Don't listen to me though, currently carrying regular whip +10 splashing sunlight blade on it for swooshy wooshy shiny lashings.

Indeed, it is a fucking whip >:D

It just disappoints me that there's no parry/backstab or falling attack :/ that's half my moveset gone.

2h heavy attack makes up for it imo, it's like some kind of glorious dominatrix move.

abusori

I keep asking because I'm curious how many people posting here are completely new(to dark souls) pc only gamers?

surprised this thread still has this much momentum

Me! I just got it a couple days ago, having an absolute blast getting my ass handed to me.

I started with a wanderer, changed to a pyromancer, and finally, a thief. I know it doesn't matter what you start as very much, I just wanted to get a feel for different styles of play. Now I'm backstabbing and parrying my way through with a dagger and a bow, and it's grand.

I might need a little help understanding what stats are relevant, but for now I guess I'm good.

mxgt

Banned
ToG with no light source is fucking crazy.

Eventually got to the bonfire, my main goal being rescuing reah and getting WOTG. Then I accidentally hit her when fighting the two bodyguards, great. Luckily absolving fixed it otherwise I would've been mad.

Totakeke

Bleh, doing Seath, then Four Kings, then Knight Astoria has been killing me with all the death runs I need to do for each of them. All those runs to just retry the bosses is too much!

Someone tell me that the other few story bosses aren't that far from the bonfire. :(

I did kill Sif in between them on second try though, so there's that at least...

I just found something I've never seen before, in about 10 playthroughs. Someone mentioned the hidden passage to the gate opening giant in Sen's Fortress. "What hidden passage?" I thought. Well, I took my main character down there and sure enough, there's a fake wall near the escape route from the Sen's sewers, and another giant to kill up there. Nothing else though, but it's awesome just the same.

I also saw someone mention that you can only kill the boulder giant with ranged attacks. No, you can indeed jump over to his roof from the broken walkway and take him down in melee.

Dark Souls.

haha agreed- just needs a patent leather armour set. 2handed light slashes are nice on groups too

<3

whip-bros unite!

I just found something I've never seen before, in about 10 playthroughs. Someone mentioned the hidden passage to the gate opening giant in Sen's Fortress. "What hidden passage?" I thought. Well, I took my main character down there and sure enough, there's a fake wall near the escape route from the Sen's sewers, and another giant to kill up there. Nothing else though, but it's awesome just the same.

I also saw someone mention that you can only kill the boulder giant with ranged attacks. No, you can indeed jump over to his roof from the broken walkway and take him down in melee.

Dark Souls.

he respawns though :(

I'm pretty sure he is a troll.

A couple of clues:

Did you see what he named his character?

Do you really think that guy would be able to beat the Asylum Demon without any equipped weapons and without knowing how to use Estus Flasks? An advanced player could do it, no problem but that guy?

Top Bottom