• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Run up to the one on the right, DON'T BLOCK, blocking an arrow will knock you off the ledge unless you're spaced perfectly and even then you'll probably be forced to roll at him.

Your goal is to get him to draw his sword and follow you. Once that happens just run back down the ledge and he'll fall off because he's a doofus.

Yep, roll up to him, he'll give chase. Immediately run in the opposite direction until you hit the wall along the ledge. If you're lucky, both of them will simply just fall over the edge. Really one of the worst parts in the game thus far...

Orayn

Any word on a sequel or successor?

Yep. From Software is definitely going to make more dark fantasy action-RPGs in the future, especially considering how the Souls games have been some of the most financially and critically successful games they've ever released.

Raide

Yep. From Software is definitely going to make more dark fantasy action-RPGs in the future, especially considering how the Souls games have been some of the most financially and critically successful games they've ever released.

What I want more than anything is for FROM to approach boss combat by looking at the Monster Hunter series and refine it. Cutting tails is a good start but they need to expand on that, plus giving each boss more combat variety, especially once NG+ and beyond kicks in.

Grief.exe

What I want more than anything is for FROM to approach boss combat by looking at the Monster Hunter series and refine it. Cutting tails is a good start but they need to expand on that, plus giving each boss more combat variety, especially once NG+ and beyond kicks in.

Kind of a good point.

They should add one new move per boss in NG+ for a little variety. Something where you have to completely change up your tactics.

Like when I used to play wow when you switched one boss to hard mode he would spawn shadow traps all around him that would launch you off the platform and kill you if you stood in them. Subtle, but can completely change your tactics.

Which would you guys say is the best wiki site for Dark Souls?

wikidot and wikispaces are both great. Use them both, really no reason to use one over the other.

Raide

Kind of a good point.

They should add one new move per boss in NG+ for a little variety. Something where you have to completely change up your tactics.

Like when I used to play wow when you switched one boss to hard mode he would spawn shadow traps all around him that would launch you off the platform and kill you if you stood in them. Subtle, but can completely change your tactics.

The boss rage timer stuff in WoW is pretty interesting, as is having Hard Mode options for bosses. Of course you have things like the Calamity Ring now but they should certainly mix up the combat and challenge for the NG+ players.

Most Dark Souls bosses are pretty easy once you nail down their combat loops. Stuff like Sif is a step in the right direction, mainly with his limping etc but being able to think about your combat and how you approach the battle in order to make things easier/harder for yourself.

Also, I do hope they put more effort into making the class choices a more meaningful one. Combat seems to be heavily "Sword and Board" focused. Would be nice to have a better reason to use Bows and Daggers etc, mainly to have the Thief class to be actually good at something.

X-Kalibur

Would you care to elaborate? I haven't played any Monster Hunter.

Also, I do hope they put more effort into making the class choices a more meaningful one. Combat seems to be heavily "Sword and Board" focused. Would be nice to have a better reason to use Bows and Daggers etc, mainly to have the Thief class to be actually good at something.

Agree with this. The starting classes need to feel meaningful and like you're actually locking yourself out from certain paths when you pick them. I'd also like to have the DEX stat be related to more than just DEX-scaling weapons and spell speed. If a thief has a bunch of Dex, I'd actually like to see him be able to move quicker, or maybe the roll gets upgraded at a certain point to the flip without needing a ring. Little touches like that.

Raide

Would you care to elaborate? I haven't played any Monster Hunter.

Monsters have weaknesses and players have to find these to make things easier. Starts with elemental things, or just parts of their bodies weaker than others. Then you have monsters with various parts of their bodies that can be damaged/cut. Like horns, tails, frills etc. Mainly for crafting purposes.

Bosses also have various stages of combat, starting with them noticing you, engaging you and getting angry and more powerful during the battle. Also in some stages they might flee to another area. Bosses tend to use their environment more, since that tends to be their natural habitat, so they dive into mud/water to get protection, or they will be doing other things to draw out the fight in their favour. :D

Agree with this. The starting classes need to feel meaningful and like you're actually locking yourself out from certain paths when you pick them. I'd also like to have the DEX stat be related to more than just DEX-scaling weapons and spell speed. If a thief has a bunch of Dex, I'd actually like to see him be able to move quicker, or maybe the roll gets upgraded at a certain point to the flip without needing a ring. Little touches like that.

Agreed. I rolled a Thief for Dark Souls just to see what happens but he really just turned into a Warrior. :D Would be nice to have DEX actually do things the more you spec into it. Maybe adding silent walking or some more movement skills. Give players a reason to use the stats. Maybe they should cut out some of the more pointless stats and have the ones left actually mean something.

The chance to have the classes actually start somewhere else would be pretty cool. I find it odd that as you play Dark Souls, you come across bodies with full class kit on them. Would be more interesting to see how it ended up there. :D

rybrad

Any reason to do the optional stuff in NG+? I would prefer just to head straight to Blighttown via the backkdoor but don't want to miss anything noteworthy.

Ridley327

Any reason to do the optional stuff in NG+? I would prefer just to head straight to Blighttown via the backkdoor but don't want to miss anything noteworthy.

Only if you missed something the first time through, or you're trying to reclaim stuff that gets reset in NG+, like embers.

TheExodu5

Banned
So what's with all the complaints about the T-Rex part at the start of Lost Izalith? Just did it for the first time, and I didn't even have to fight a single one (though I did fight one just for fun).

38K9o.jpg

So how do I get back from that area? I just lost 1000 souls, I'm pissed!

Anteater

So what's with all the complaints about the T-Rex part at the start of Lost Izalith? Just did it for the first time, and I didn't even have to fight a single one (though I did fight one just for fun).

I don't remember complaints other than that they have nice asses and are quite distracting

Ridley327

Apparently, the console versions at launch had them aggro as soon as you set foot in the lava.

IIRC people often complain about Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants, saying they're poorly designed areas. Not really seeing any issues, myself.

It's not so much the enemies as the blindly bright lava (on consoles at least) and the color of the enemies blending into the background. Also for melee it's very difficult to fight them properly. That entire area is poorly designed visually, and compared to strategically placed enemies in previous areas they just dump a whole bunch of one enemy and say "here, have fun."

linko9

Apparently, the console versions at launch had them aggro as soon as you set foot in the lava.

I played the PS3 version on day 1, and I don't think the AI of those dragon legs has been changed at all. They certainly never all aggro'd as soon as you step in the lava.

Dresden

Ahh, that helps explain it.

..wait, they're used to be more? There's already about two dozen!

Unless the PTD edition added in more (due to buying GW2 I won't be purchasing this one for some time), yes.

Even if you somehow reached the bonfire you still had to kill like three of them just to actually access the inner part of Lost Izalith, because they were set right before the pathway leading up there. Add in the awful colour palette and the worst boss in the game and no wonder the area gets a bad rep.

Ridley327

Unless the PTD edition added in more (due to buying GW2 I won't be purchasing this one for some time), yes.

Even if you somehow reached the bonfire you still had to kill like three of them just to actually access the inner part of Lost Izalith, because they were set right before the pathway leading up there. Add in the awful colour palette and the worst boss in the game and no wonder the area gets a bad rep.

My experience in that area has been if you're going the way you're supposed to be going, you don't run into a single dragon butt unless you go off the beaten path (so to speak) and try to take the shortest path. They didn't put any that would try to go after you between the two towers, nor will you attract any when you go from the bonfire tower to the path leading into the structure.

You are so right about the boss, though; it's like something out of Uncharted.

TheExodu5

Banned
Maybe I should record a video...you seriously can go through the whole thing without fighting a single guy. I don't see what's so hard about it. I can't find a single video of it online...everyone seems to fight them needlessly, before they even aggro them.

zkylon

zkylewd

taoofjord

I love this game so much. Really, it's my favorite game of all time. It's amazing on so many levels.

The mechanics aren't explained overtly but are revealed by reading item description and other player's hints, talking to npc's, and through player experimentation (with little chance of screwing yourself over). An air of mystery in the mechanics, the story, the world, and the secrets is one of the game's greatest strengths.

The art is incredible. The artist that made it never calls attention to himself. You never think, "oh this guy was really trying to be edgy" (dead space). It just is what it is... and that's how the whole game feels to me. It feels crafted as anything this meticulously made does, but it rarely calls attention to that fact. Like how Nintendo games used to feel like they were magically created instead of made by programmers and designers.

(warning, minor spoilers)

Seamlessly travelling throughout the world is not only a tremendous feat but adds to the game in big ways. When you go deep underground (burg > depths > blight town > demon ruins for example) you really feel underground and isolated. And when you start getting a hang on the game's challenge you still feel vulnerable. That balance is so hard for other games to find but it's a must in keeping you immersed in the game. And the world! It's so mysterious. If I was a kid again I'd be doodling dark souls monsters and levels all day at school.

This is a gamer's game in all ways. It's truly rewarding for people that aren't new to the medium. It makes few compromises in its hardcore vision but it's almost always fair.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is why more people don't feel this way. I know both souls games have large followings, but as brilliant as this game is, it should be larger.

Anyway, I still haven't finished the game once. I believe I'm about 80% of the way, though, and look forward to new game plus where I can start focusing on discovering all of the game's secrets... and PvP.

Tendo

I just started. I die a lot. Should I use my humanity or save it for when I get better? Everytime I use it I just get invaded and die. I don't see the benefit of humanity.

I suck.

taoofjord

ToG is pure genius evil. I love it and hate it at the same time, as one should do in any Souls level.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm going through right now and I agree. It's a really unique experience having to use the lantern. Other games have tried this but none have done it as well.

Raide

I just started. I die a lot. Should I use my humanity or save it for when I get better? Everytime I use it I just get invaded and die. I don't see the benefit of humanity.

I suck.

You could play it offline if you hate getting invaded. Its main use is Item Discovery and Curse Resist. The other useful one is resistances, so lower level players might find it handy.

I have only just started as well and I seem to just store everything up until I can figure out what to do with it. :D

Dresden

My experience in that area has been if you're going the way you're supposed to be going, you don't run into a single dragon butt unless you go off the beaten path (so to speak) and try to take the shortest path. They didn't put any that would try to go after you between the two towers, nor will you attract any when you go from the bonfire tower to the path leading into the structure.

You are so right about the boss, though; it's like something out of Uncharted.

Yeah, it's definitely post-nerf then. Even taking the 'right path' would aggro so many damn dinobutts. >.> Such a pain.

I also enjoyed having to farm Twinkling Titanite from giant man eating clams because no vendors sold them. Trying to upgrade my Black Knight weapons or some of the armors... ugh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Tomb of the Giants is great. Lost Izalith feels like it was designed by a completely different developer. Linear, full of the easiest enemies ever, no cool shortcuts, no cool traps, just walk down the path hitting floating gas bags on your way to the worst boss in the game.

This is a gamer's game in all ways. It's truly rewarding for people that aren't new to the medium. It makes few compromises in its hardcore vision but it's almost always fair.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is why more people don't feel this way. I know both souls games have large followings, but as brilliant as this game is, it should be larger.

babbies.jpg

2AdEPT

I suck.

there is a minimum you may wish to save for when you really need it for the first couple bosses....but after the first couple you can start to farm it and get it whenever you run low. Killing a boss always grants a humanity, so if you drop your summon sign and help on bosses you will never be without. That said the ability to help is somewhat more difficult to "hit" on so always save 10r 2 for a rainy day....I like saving twin humanities for rainy days just to ensure I got 2 in case I want to kindle a bonfire.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just finished all the DLC stuff. Incredible, boosts the whole game to new heights, above even Demon's Souls now I feel. Game of the generation, without a doubt.

The amount of lore all the Abyss stuff adds is incredible. I'm glad From went back to add it all in.

honestly the voice is what made me think it was a troll, then I saw that he'd disabled comments and replies and decided it was probably legit. I laughed, I cried, I blew chunks.

Grief.exe

Just finished all the DLC stuff. Incredible, boosts the whole game to new heights, above even Demon's Souls now I feel. Game of the generation, without a doubt.

The amount of lore all the Abyss stuff adds is incredible. I'm glad From went back to add it all in.

Ya the DLC bosses were amazing, best fights in the game IMO. First time player though.

Top Bottom