• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've always wondered where the second butcher comes from in the beginning of the depths, found him tonight.

iT9B5gHf7BP6d.png

Pretty good balance for such a big dude.

Sarcasm

Went to dukes..place is nice. But that damn mage..does he respawn? Also my lightnign spear+2 is doing better damage to those small crystal dudes more than my balder side +10...

Dunno about that rock crystal guy he was tough.

Do all walls of fog lead to boss'..I see one on second floor.

elohel

Tomb of the Giants is great.

Lost Izalith is completely terrible, especially the boss. I don't mean terrible as in it's hard and I got mad at it, because it's not difficult. I seriously mean 'poorly designed' here. I mean, eye-bleedingly orange lava area with randomly strewn about dinosaur asses followed by boring ugly straightforward area filled with the most harmless and pointless enemy type in the game. Then one of the dumbest boss fights I've ever seen. It's just incredibly jarring since the game is so amazing up to (and after) that point.

i still dunno about the hate for Lost Izalith

but TOTG is my jam

I'm so sad that I'm done the game. Just...what an incredible experience. Easily the game of the generation for me, and one of the greatest games of all time.

Relistening to Gwyn, Lord of Cinder fills me with melancholy.

It really is something special, this and Demon's Souls really stand out as unique experiences for me this generation, utterly spellbinding.

I just wish more people would get over the "but it's haaarrrddd" and try Dark Souls.

As for Gwyn, fighting the Moonlight Butterfly had me feeling the same way ;_;

I wish they gave the Blue Eye Orb more power.

Like, you can invade people who have sinned whatever they are hollow or not, as long they haven't killed the boss. Also, killing them should make so they lose position in the Book of the Guilty. (they have payed the price)

The Dragon Covenant needs to be enhanced too, it feels like a waste right now.
I've been trying to use it, but 99.9% of the time it's "failed to invade". Pisses me off. I'm also wearing the ring, but I haven't been able to find anyone for the past half an hour. I really like the idea of the covenant - I enjoy hunting the sinners - but the search criteria definitely needs to be widened.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Lots of things they could have fixed for a enhanced edition per say. Izalith being at the top of the list, along with subtle control and balance issues, and maybe a bit of more aggressive patterns for enemies and bosses in NG+.

Anyway, just failed to cut Priscilla's tail, again, my dumbass always seems to go after her with a strong fire weapon and wonder why she dies too quickly. And yes, I've tried throwing knives but my aiming is shit when not locked on with those, I may get one stick and then "BLOOD LOSS"...

Lots of things they could have fixed for a enhanced edition per say. Izalith being at the top of the list, along with subtle control and balance issues, and maybe a bit of more aggressive patterns for enemies and bosses in NG+.

Anyway, just failed to cut Priscilla's tail, again, my dumbass always seems to go after her with a strong fire weapon and wonder why she dies too quickly. And yes, I've tried throwing knives but my aiming is shit when not locked on with those, I may get one stick and then "BLOOD LOSS"...
For her tail, use a non upgraded lightning weapon to remove the invisibility (the spear of Sen's Fortress works nice) then use the Drake Sword two handed.

2AdEPT

I went Elite Knight + Baldur Side Sword + Silver Knight Shield for my first playthrough.

Suggestions for a fun build for my second playthrough?
My personal favorite is the skywalker build - high Dex/faith for washing pole +15, buffed with darkmoon blade gives that blue light sabre effect; emit FORCE miracle...nuff said there; thief hood (although I often take it off to use the dusk crown); Logans robe; lightniong spears. Ring of first born is a must.

other ones that are fun:

Reaper - with darkwraith threads, and chaos great scythe; heavy pyro/lava etc. I trade out the pants for havels for extra poise.

Kirk toon with all spiked armour , lightning spiked shield +5, lightning barbed sword +5.

Indiana Jones toon with whips, Pharis hat, (or Logans hat if you like exaggeration of the wide brim effect); leather pants with whatever shirt you figure looks authentic....maybe the hard leather or leather armour.

Solaire - faith for lightning bolts
Ornstein (but you have to use the spear etc.) and throw lightning bolts.
Smough ...with hammer but need a good strength build
Channeler with trident - soul spears (magic character)
Artorias - not sure what weapon to use though as I just started content and needed help to kill him... but the armour looks cool!

You get the idea - lots of toons are viable for PVP...it matters more what you do vs. what you wear.

I'm trying to PvP via the Darkmoon covenant and not getting any success, anyone got any tips?
wear the ring? plus make sure to invade in hot spots like the forest and anor londo.

Went to dukes..place is nice. But that damn mage..does he respawn? Also my lightnign spear+2 is doing better damage to those small crystal dudes more than my balder side +10...

Dunno about that rock crystal guy he was tough.

Do all walls of fog lead to boss'..I see one on second floor.

mage respawns and can be farmed for channelers trident....but most do this on the later stage near a latter bonfire.

For her tail, use a non upgraded lightning weapon to remove the invisibility (the spear of Sen's Fortress works nice) then use the Drake Sword two handed.

she is weak to fire so you can use pyro to get her visible as well...then do not lock on two had the slashing weapons (or any that have bleed) like uchigatana, washing pole has no bleed but the reach is useful for tails, scythes,

ArynCrinn

Banned

Good idea, I'll give it a try. Only times I did it were in NG+'s where I used a non-upgraded base Halberd to poke her and then two-handed a Fury Sword on the tail.

But yeah, I'm all for trying to get on a NG. It'll have to be with my low-level character though. They need to also give us more slots for more characters!

zkylon

zkylewd
Been reading up on how to
save Solaire
, and it seems like a huge hassle, specially leveling up the Chaos Covenant :/

save Solaire

An hour or two of farming or PvP, not that bad. Just makes sure you don't leave the covenant before unlocking the shortcut, that will lead to the amount of humanity given being reset!

the depths is your one stop shop for humanity. if you have the serpent ring and eat the first 8 you pick up, each rat run will earn you 1-3 and take like 2 minutes.

Sarcasm

An hour or two of farming or PvP, not that bad. Just makes sure you don't leave the covenant before unlocking the shortcut, that will lead to the amount of humanity given being reset!

What's a good place to farm it?

Anor londo and the Darkroot forest

Or you could go to the depths with high item find and farm the rats.
Are you guys talking about humanity?

Also i am using a lightning spear 2 and balder side sword 10. So I am thinking i should upgrade those. Also using elite armor 8 and silver knight shield. I plan to farm souls and upgrade the shield, what should i do about armor? Also i need to go to new londo so i can finish or start my balder sidesword to 15 right?

d0c_zaius

only 1 item holding me back from 1000/1000, and its the spell from the onion knight. If I would have done that right, then I would have platinum'd the game in 2 1/2 playthroughs.

Dascu

save Solaire

It's worth it. You get the Sunlight Maggot helm, which is a great help in Tomb of the Giants, and you skip most of Lost Izalith.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's worth it. You get the Sunlight Maggot helm, which is a great help in Tomb of the Giants, and you skip most of Lost Izalith.
Already did Tomb of the Giants, though I reckon it'll be mighty helpful in NG+.

I'm in a bit of a bad spot on this, though.
I need to level up the Chaos Covenant to get the shortcut to Lost Izalith and save Solaire, right? Thing is, I want to give the Sunlight Maggot to Snuggly to get the ring so I can actually understand what the fair lady says, but by the time I get it, I'll probably be past most her dialog, and I'll have wasted it for NG+.

I still think I'll go ahead with it, since I love getting every little piece of lore I can out of the Souls games...

If you want humanity there are enemies that drop them like it's nothing in the Chasm of the Abyss.
Haven't hit the DLC areas yet (SL 61 still), but it's comforting to know there are good places to get back some of the humanity I spent (already gave her 10, but I'm undecided if I'm gonna move forward just yet because of the above).

Thoraxes

It's like he's never played a game with an inventory system before the year 2005.

I'm so sad that I'm done the game. Just...what an incredible experience. Easily the game of the generation for me, and one of the greatest games of all time.

Relistening to Gwyn, Lord of Cinder fills me with melancholy.
Hard to believe it's Sakuraba.

2AdEPT

it doesn't take that long.....20 minutes in the depths or 5-10 inthe chasm of the abyss.
serpent ring and 5-10 in the ticker will get you there fast and therefore its worth it.

If you want humanity there are enemies that drop them like it's nothing in the Chasm of the Abyss.

yep...new farming spot for sure.

Ok so I finally hired help and killed off
Manus
....people are talking like you can fight Gough though....did I miss him? PLus the dragon one shots me with its flame worse than the dragon on the bridge ...what the flip is a guy to do? I put on artorias armour which is the best in the game for fire protect, plus gold hemmed trim....do I really have to use flash sweat to fight kalameet? Also zero tails in the new content for me...I suck....can someone tell which ones I should try for ?

edit: ok if its something to do with the shield you get from
baby SIF
i get it now.

I really like the new content....brilliant job....the fact that I sucked solo just means I will have t spend more time with it...and it will be worth the time investment for sure.

FtHTiny

.people are talking like you can fight Gough though....did I miss him? PLus the dragon one shots me with its flame worse than the dragon on the bridge ...what the flip is a guy to do? I put on artorias armour which is the best in the game for fire protect, plus gold hemmed trim....do I really have to use flash sweat to fight kalameet? Also zero tails in the new content for me...I suck....can someone tell which ones I should try for ?

you need to kill a mimic first to get a key to gough. Then after seeing the dragon in the valley the first time return to gough and he will badass shoot him down for so you can fight him. After that gough has nothing left to offer for you, if you know what i mean. :c

For Forest PvP, if I want to answer Alvinas Calling, does Sif still need to be alive? Want to take out the 4 Kings soon, so need the ring from Sif, but also want to mess around in the forest a bit more.

Raide

Once you got so many souls in the bank, you don´t really mind loosing them. There´s nothing left to spend it on anyway.

My 5k were playing with Mouse and Keyboard and target locking myself off the edge. So glad I now have the pad. Sooooo much better. I still die, just less of the controls doing it and more that I get murdered by things.

FtHTiny

My 5k were playing with Mouse and Keyboard and target locking myself off the edge. So glad I now have the pad. Sooooo much better. I still die, just less of the controls doing it and more that I get murdered by things.

i tried the kb/m out for a brief time. It´s doable but a controller is just 10times better in everything. But the ocasional derp moments are never going away.

I just finished my first playthrough, and while I really liked... it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hate to use guides in order to know where exactly I need to go and do next. I think the game should provide all the information you need.

After beating Seath The Scaleless; The Bed of Chaos and The Four Kings - I needed to kill
the Gravelord Nito; and I have spent a lot of time looking for him, without success.

Only then I had to read a guide to know his location (Tomb of the Giants). The problem is that the path to the Tomb of the Giants is hidden, since you need to use an almost invisible ladder in a location that you think there is nothing else to do.

Besides, the last boss was easier than most others bosses. For me, beating the Old King Allant in Demons Souls was very satisfying, because I needed to use everything I got. I can't say the same about the last boss in Dark Souls.

FtHTiny

Only then I had to read a guide to know his location (Tomb of the Giants). The problem is that the path to the Tomb of the Giants is hidden, since you need to use an almost invisible ladder in a location that you think there is nothing else to do.

I know a first time player won´t know it but the game wouldn´t let you be stuck in a room after defeating a boss. They always plant a bonfire down or something if you can´t get away from there on your own.
Also in the cutscene after placing the lordvessel they show you where the yellow gates disapear so it was kind of a good hint.

And yes, gwyn is to easy for the final boss but i didn´t find allant that hard either.

Jintor

I axed Kalameet to death. It took five deaths to learn his attack pattern and develop counters but I GOT HIM. None of this magical trickery or anything, I just dodged and axed, dodged and axe. Holy shit, i feel like a god.

fionel

I axed Kalameet to death. It took five deaths to learn his attack pattern and develop counters but I GOT HIM. None of this magical trickery or anything, I just dodged and axed, dodged and axe. Holy shit, i feel like a god.

I died like 50 times to this bastard while trying to cut its tail. I must suck balls :(

But I got it on the Nth try, so nothing matters!!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

One thing that helped me a lot during that fight was the realization that his head is actually closer to you than you think. Thus you can actually get a few hits now and then.

Grief.exe

I just finished my first playthrough, and while I really liked... it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hate to use guides in order to know where exactly I need to go and do next. I think the game should provide all the information you need.

After beating Seath The Scaleless; The Bed of Chaos and The Four Kings - I needed to kill
the Gravelord Nito; and I have spent a lot of time looking for him, without success.

Besides, the last boss was easier than most others bosses. For me, beating the Old King Allant in Demons Souls was very satisfying, because I needed to use everything I got. I can't say the same about the last boss in Dark Souls.

From what I gather there is some story/lore behind that boss fight being easy. also the reason the boss music is so sad there.

I know a first time player won´t know it but the game wouldn´t let you be stuck in a room after defeating a boss. They always plant a bonfire down or something if you can´t get away from there on your own.
Also in the cutscene after placing the lordvessel they show you where the yellow gates disapear so it was kind of a good hint.

And yes, gwyn is to easy for the final boss but i didn´t find allant that hard either.

It makes sense, but since defeating the boss in the Catacombs gives you the item that makes you return to the last bonfire, I thought using this item was the only way out.

The cutscene after placing the lordvessel don't help, since it isn't possible to know where is that if you never went to the Tomb before.

The only hint that could be really useful is that soul that you see shining up above in the Catacombs before the boss room, since trying to get it would lead you to a new area.

Top Bottom