• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Truant

Artorias is a great bossfight, because it doesn't rely on anything other than two badass dudes fighting in a big space. It kinda surprised me that From never did this more oftenl, as the combat in the game is fairly strong.

I'd rather have more fights like these than Capra Demon v. 2.0.

Just finished Sens fortress without using Tarkus, I actually felt like the iron golem wasnt that difficult.

I started using power within right before the fight and it was amazing, claymore +10 feels a bit OP right now.

Just landed in Anor Londo, this place looks sick, cant wait to play more :)

Zeliard

Lost Izalith isn't just bad because of the Bounding Asses and general shoddy level design, but because it has the worst boss in any Souls game.

At least the Dragon God as a gimmick boss was fun in that he was an enormous fucking dragon who punched fools in the face with his massive fists. Bed of Chaos is just shit.

willooi

Long time lurker on this thread, first time poster.

I'd just like to say that I love the community in this game. Sure, I've been invaded several times by cheap backstabbers or phantoms trying to pull me into populated areas (my first time through Darkroot Garden past the Artoria crest-sealed door was ridiculous), but the people I've summoned have been fantastic.

I've already sent thank you messages to WoodsJana123 and JUSTAFLESHW0UND over Xbox Live, but if you guys just so happen to frequent this forum, cheers again for your help at the peak of Sen's Fortress, and also for annihilating that poor phantom who thought he'd invade at that very moment and use shockwaves to push me off the ledges, before he got the shock of his life when he saw my two buddies.

I adore the way that complete strangers greet and bow to you when they enter your world. Such an amazing use of connectivity that contributes so much to the atmosphere of this game.

Long time lurker on this thread, first time poster.

I'd just like to say that I love the community in this game. Sure, I've been invaded several times by cheap backstabbers or phantoms trying to pull me into populated areas (my first time through Darkroot Garden past the Artoria crest-sealed door was ridiculous), but the people I've summoned have been fantastic.

I've already sent thank you messages to WoodsJana123 and JUSTAFLESHW0UND over Xbox Live, but if you guys just so happen to frequent this forum, cheers again for your help at the peak of Sen's Fortress, and also for annihilating that poor phantom who thought he'd invade at that very moment and use shockwaves to push me off the ledges, before he got the shock of his life when he saw my two buddies.

I adore the way that complete strangers greet and bow to you when they enter your world. Such an amazing use of connectivity that contributes so much to the atmosphere of this game.

Yeah, most of the PVP encounters I have had have had very honorable players. Though my favorite player was this guy who did try to pull me into an enemy populated area and we just stood there taunting each other for a couple minutes until he finally manned up. I then proceeded to kill him in 3 hits.

Lost Izalith isn't just bad because of the Bounding Asses and general shoddy level design, but because it has the worst boss in any Souls game.

At least the Dragon God as a gimmick boss was fun in that he was an enormous fucking dragon who punched fools in the face with his massive fists. Bed of Chaos is just shit.

Yeah they were definitely going for a Dragon God-esque boss and failed miserably (I dislike the gimmick bosses in general though).

Zeliard

Artorias is a great bossfight, because it doesn't rely on anything other than two badass dudes fighting in a big space. It kinda surprised me that From never did this more oftenl, as the combat in the game is fairly strong.

Yeah those are my favorite types of fight - the smaller-scale ones against aggressive and nimble enemies like Artorias, Flamelurker, Allant, etc. Allant is probably still my favorite fight in a Souls game, though I haven't checked out Manus yet.

Some of the bigger bosses can be pretty great as well, like Kalameet.

Haunted

IIRC people often complain about Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants, saying they're poorly designed areas. Not really seeing any issues, myself.
It looks like shit for one. A big pool of lava, complete misuse of bloom, super annoying sound effect when walking/running around in the lava, just a big pool of nothing with a ton of enemies spawned willy-nilly...

Yeah, it's poorly designed and not very fun to play. The temple/ruins part after that is much better.

ulillillia never rages at anything, he plays his games really thoroughly and pretty level headed
It's not the rage that reminded me, more the mannerisms and obsessiveness. If the guy is genuine (I think he's a troll, personally), he definitely veers towards the autistic.

Thinking about Bed of Chaos more - do you think the devs knew it was a shit boss? I think they did - if they thought that it was a solid and skill based boss battle they would have had it reset completely if you died. I bet they just spent lots of dev resources but they realized it was shit but did not want to scrap it.

It feels like a tremendous outlier in the Souls games. The gimmick bosses in the games are generally non-bosses that fall over and give up (in a reproducible way). Bed of Chaos is pretty much shit from top to bottom.

Yeah those are my favorite types of fight - the smaller-scale ones against aggressive and nimble enemies like Artorias, Flamelurker, Allant, etc. Allant is probably still my favorite fight in a Souls game, though I haven't checked out Manus yet.

Some of the bigger bosses can be pretty great as well, like Kalameet.

I wish the last boss of Dark Souls was as good of a boss fight as Allant.

Tilian

Banned
After 500+ hours with this game, today I saw a zig-zag summon sign I've never seen before -- a Gravelord sign finally!

Excitedly I invaded, expecting to find a monster of a player. But just a normal guy, who I sliced to pieces with my +5 Lightning Uchi.

Zeliard

Dragon God wasn't fun to actually fight, mechanically, but at least he looked really awesome and imposing, and I thought it was quite amusing that his primary form of attack was just to punch people. Bed of Chaos has nothing going for it.

I'm pretty sure Miyazaki actually acknowledged that they messed up badly with that boss.

In the future I'd much prefer no gimmick bosses whatsoever.

I wish the last boss of Dark Souls was as good of a boss fight as Allant.

Yeah he was disappointing.

Haunted

I like Gwyn as a boss fight. dat music. He might be a bit too easy to parry, but still, I like that it's possible to fight the last boss like that.

Fighting humanoid enemies is by far the most fun in the combat system, imo. The huge monsters look nice, but I prefer "duelling" gameplay if you know what I mean.

Sarcasm

Got invaded while trying to summon. Won but I hear all these stories about how awesome it is.

Its really mundane. heh to me after doing it its the low point of the game.

Zeliard

I like Gwyn as a boss fight. dat music. He might be a bit too easy to parry, but still, I like that it's possible to fight the last boss like that.

Music was great and I liked the arena, but it was a bit too straightforward and simplistic of a fight for my tastes. 95% of it is just him walking right at you swinging a sword. I thought Artorias himself was surprisingly easy, at least in NG, but he was still a much more engaging encounter.

Got invaded while trying to summon. Won but I hear all these stories about how awesome it is.

Its really mundane. heh to me after doing it its the low point of the game.

it definitely depends on when it happens. while farming the depths for humanity I was invaded and killed, then lost the 8 humanity I'd popped on the way back to my bloodstain because of the curse frogs. it considerably changed my attitude towards the entire farming endeavour.

Sarcasm

it definitely depends on when it happens. while farming the depths for humanity I was invaded and killed, then lost the 8 humanity I'd popped on the way back to my bloodstain because of the curse frogs. it considerably changed my attitude towards the entire farming endeavour.

Well I got invaded twice. First was in near bonfire so no mobs was okay but boring fight..all rolling trying magic etc.

Than since I been trying to summon using the crappy method since on top it doesn't work for like almost an hour I get a dude. Than invaded..this invader can one hit kill and I only did 20 damage to him.

Ridley327

Music was great and I liked the arena, but it was a bit too straightforward and simplistic of a fight for my tastes. 95% of it is just him walking right at you swinging a sword. I thought Artorias himself was surprisingly easy, at least in NG, but he was still a much more engaging encounter.

Artorias is such a mechanically sound fight; it's easy once you realize just how all the different patterns work, but making it work is what propels that fight to such a high status.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I've had the worst luck with invasions. I think I've only won two out of the dozens I've been victimized with. Two invasions happened literally seconds after I became human, preventing me from kindling the bonfire and going on my way.

My invasion encounter can basically be summed up as get invasion notice, find guy with some gigantic sword and armor I haven't even seen yet run towards me and after a bit of dancing usually one-shots me with it. Now I've always considered myself about as prepared as I can be for my SL but my hits against these invaders rarely make a dent in their life bar, while a single swipe from them empties mine. Somethin' fishy there.

Oh, and one guy did some kind of vampire attack that took my 18 humanity away and then bolted from my game. You'd think by now I'd have experienced all the ways other people can dick you over in this game but alas...

Jintor

Fighting humanoid enemies is by far the most fun in the combat system, imo. The huge monsters look nice, but I prefer "duelling" gameplay if you know what I mean.

Most def.

Fuck this black dragon

After placing the vessel, do I lose the ability to warp?

nope

Mupod

IIRC people often complain about Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants, saying they're poorly designed areas. Not really seeing any issues, myself.

Tomb of the Giants is great.

Lost Izalith is completely terrible, especially the boss. I don't mean terrible as in it's hard and I got mad at it, because it's not difficult. I seriously mean 'poorly designed' here. I mean, eye-bleedingly orange lava area with randomly strewn about dinosaur asses followed by boring ugly straightforward area filled with the most harmless and pointless enemy type in the game. Then one of the dumbest boss fights I've ever seen. It's just incredibly jarring since the game is so amazing up to (and after) that point.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I agree it was definitely the worst area of the game. Didn't completely hate it...it was actually really exciting (or rather, terrifying) to me visually. But I didn't really enjoy any of the encounters up to the boss. I didn't care for the boss mechanically, but I loved it conceptually.

Tomb of the Giants is great.

Lost Izalith is completely terrible, especially the boss. I don't mean terrible as in it's hard and I got mad at it, because it's not difficult. I seriously mean 'poorly designed' here. I mean, eye-bleedingly orange lava area with randomly strewn about dinosaur asses followed by boring ugly straightforward area filled with the most harmless and pointless enemy type in the game. Then one of the dumbest boss fights I've ever seen. It's just incredibly jarring since the game is so amazing up to (and after) that point.

Yeah it really boggles the mind. The only cool parts of the entire level is the trap-fall (the area with the red titanite slab) and the narrow bridge with the (last iirc?) Titanite Demon.

Anyone want to help me with Black Dragon Kalameet, I'm like SL 75? I feel like co-oping and no one drops a white sign here. Really fun boss btw.

NBtoaster

You have to commend them for trying different mechanics with the last few areas though. Instead of "avoid/kill tough enemies, get to boss" you have light, lava, invisible bridges and ghosts to worry about too.

Grief.exe

I was reading on some speculation on the lore of that boss fight and its pretty cool actually.

Gwyn's knights were fighting the witch after she failed at copying a lord's soul. He couldn't kill her so he imprisoned her. Explained by as you cut the golden sunlight bonds on each of her hands she becomes more powerful.

Lame fight gameplay wise though.

So I just killed Kalameet, my jaw was on the floor the entire time and I had the chills at the same time, that was unbelievable. This game might be my favorite game of all time.

Yes, better than Goldeneye, Mario 64, Counter Strike, etc.

Ok, the bit about falling off a cliff was pretty hilarious...

ToG is pure genius evil. I love it and hate it at the same time, as one should do in any Souls level.

ToG is great, Lost Izalith is a case-study in lazy poorly-thought out level design. It might pass as an 'OK' level in any other game, but compared to how stellar the rest of Dark Souls is - it's a stinking pile of crap.

TheExodu5

Banned
I went Elite Knight + Baldur Side Sword + Silver Knight Shield for my first playthrough.

Suggestions for a fun build for my second playthrough?

Dresden

I went Elite Knight + Baldur Side Sword + Silver Knight Shield for my first playthrough.

Suggestions for a fun build for my second playthrough?

Just grab a zweihander early on and two-hand it the whole game. No shield because shields are lame.

It's actually pretty easy because almost every enemy in the game gets staggered by the zwei, and that thing is built for elemental enchants.

linko9

I just had some real fucked up shit happen. NG++, all I need to do is get the "make strong weapons" achievements. I go down to vamos to make my +10 fire and +5 chaos weapons. I speak to him. Immediately after I talk to him, two bonewheels come in and murder him in 1 second flat. It was horrible. Don't think I care to go to NG+++ just to get those achievements. Good bye Dark Souls, it's been great for a second time, I'll probably see you next year.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just grab a zweihander early on and two-hand it the whole game. No shield because shields are lame.

It's actually pretty easy because almost every enemy in the game gets staggered by the zwei, and that thing is built for elemental enchants.

Hoping for something a little zanier...or at least something that's viable in PvP.

Top Bottom