• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

It makes sense, but since defeating the boss in the Catacombs gives you the item that makes you return to the last bonfire, I thought using this item was the only way out.

The cutscene after placing the lordvessel don't help, since it isn't possible to know where is that if you never went to the Tomb before.

The only hint that could be really useful is that soul that you see shining up above in the Catacombs before the boss room, since trying to get it would lead you to a new area.

Most bosses give you a homeward bone now I thought? It's just an easy trip back to a bonfire and keeping your souls 'safe' in the process if you are so inclined.

Also, if you got as far as Pin Wheel - you should know to look around for things, I know I stumbled into ToTG quite by mistake on my first play-through and was all 'pitch black? giant skeletons? nope nope nope' and backtracked the hell outta there.

Once completing a boss I'd typically do a run-around the room and see if there was anything I had missed during the fight that would be worth checking out.

I just finished my first playthrough, and while I really liked... it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hate to use guides in order to know where exactly I need to go and do next. I think the game should provide all the information you need.

After beating Seath The Scaleless; The Bed of Chaos and The Four Kings - I needed to kill
the Gravelord Nito; and I have spent a lot of time looking for him, without success.

Only then I had to read a guide to know his location (Tomb of the Giants). The problem is that the path to the Tomb of the Giants is hidden, since you need to use an almost invisible ladder in a location that you think there is nothing else to do.

Besides, the last boss was easier than most others bosses. For me, beating the Old King Allant in Demons Souls was very satisfying, because I needed to use everything I got. I can't say the same about the last boss in Dark Souls.

I think the last-leg of DS is some of the best parts of the game - I love the final levels of World 1, and the boss fight is loads of fun. On the other hand, I think the last leg of Dark Souls is probably the weakest part of the game - Undead Burg/Parish/Lower Burg/Depths/Blight Town/Sens are all stellar levels --- I find that Anor Londo leaves a dramatic first impression, but the actual level then feels a bit wasted.

I know from a lore perspective it makes a little sense, but I really wish that there was more to Anor Londo, a few sub-sections, more of the 'moving bridges/landscape around to access parts of the castle'/etc.

The start of the game feels like this artfully crafted inter-locking world with all sorts of short cuts/hidden passages/etc, then once you get the Lord Vessel, feels more like a 'straight line down to a bonfire'. Considering you can see both Ash Lake / Demon Ruins from ToTG - why isn't there a hidden way to get there and connect the two?

I also feel like the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were a lost/wasted opportunity -- I remember when I was watching the first streams of DkS when it came out for consoles and doing the 'i want to watch, no, I don't want to spoil' torture-myself game, seeing a player enter the Demon Ruins, thinking 'omg, looks SO COOL' then quit watching immediately after as I didn't want to spoil anymore for myself - then getting there on my own, and felt a bit disappointed.

Such a lost opportunity to make a rather dastardly/evil feeling lava-based level just to do 'big field of laval, repeat old bosses!'

The Architecture of Lost Izalith has potential - but also feels wasted, and on my first play through, dealing with pre-patched Dino-Ass land, I just wanted the fuck out of there --- revisiting it on the PC, I hate it /slightly/ less now - but still feel like it was a let down.

Don't get me wrong, love this game to death --- probably my favorite game ever actually, but that just makes me that much more nit-picky and critical of the parts that don't stand up to the quality of the first parts of the game.

Only then I had to read a guide to know his location (Tomb of the Giants). The problem is that the path to the Tomb of the Giants is hidden, since you need to use an almost invisible ladder in a location that you think there is nothing else to do.
I never thought about this, but I can see how the ladder out of
Pinwheel's room
might not be the easiest to see, although you would've already come across several looking like it in the Catacombs.

You have to think though, if that was a dead end, what do you think the makers expect you to do since the way in is a drop? There are no real dead ends in DS where boss rooms are concerned, if you can't get out the way you came in, there must be another way out, or a bonfire.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/17/dark-souls-mod-enables-60fps/

Modders’ renovation of the shoddy PC port of Dark Souls continues with the appearance of a 60fps patch, spotted by DSO Gaming. The update only works in offline mode, but should remove the 30fps limit resulting in smoother moves, if you have the PC to run it.

Previous attempts to enable 60 frames in Dark Souls have caused motion to move at double clip, making everything even harder than it already was. Based on this video (download to see the 60fps version) and accounts from users who have tried the patch, it seems to work reasonably well

Grief.exe

Painted World is just gorgeous

downsampled from 1440p, 16x AF, SSAO, SMAA

imqArjGiGYGfn.png

itccdA3nY1cJn.png

iTiKW7cr1wblh.png

I never thought about this, but I can see how the ladder out of
Pinwheel's room
might not be the easiest to see, although you would've already come across several looking like it in the Catacombs.

You have to think though, if that was a dead end, what do you think the makers expect you to do since the way in is a drop? There are no real dead ends in DS where boss rooms are concerned, if you can't get out the way you came in, there must be another way out, or a bonfire.

Ya I didn't even think about it, I just looked around until I found something. I can see where people might Homeward Bone out though.

Ya I didn't even think about it, I just looked around until I found something. I can see where people might Homeward Bone out though.

Guess one of the times where From tried to make something easier/more user friendly, actually caused confusion/problems :)

First time I killed Pinwheel - didn't get a homeward bone, and had to explore the area to figure out how to leave.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't see how people had all that trouble getting out of that room. You're naturally attracted to the pile of books, and the ladder is just there, no need of any weird camera angles or anything to see it. Just hug the wall and you'll find it. Can't believe people made it to Tomb of the Giants only to get stuck in that silly room :p

Dresden

I don't see how people had all that trouble getting out of that room. You're naturally attracted to the pile of books, and the ladder is just there, no need of any weird camera angles or anything to see it. Just hug the wall and you'll find it. Can't believe people made it to Tomb of the Giants only to get stuck in that silly room :p

It's even in clear view, to the right of the player's viewpoint when he grabs the loot from Pinwheel. Not like it's set behind a hidden wall. Some people...

Anteater

I did hate new londo back in october... and I even hate it more now.

Tight corridors, fucking ghosts... I hate this area.

I didn't like most of the areas towards the end of the game, I found myself just eager to find the route to the boss gate to get it over with.

I liked New Londo, it did make me rage quite a bit while learning/figuring out the level - but once you got the hang of it, rather neat. Also great once it's drained - the ambient sounds, the drips - listening carefully for foot steps of enemies/etc.

But god, how I used to die, and die..and die some more there.

Thanks for the tips on passing the Knights-with-huge-bows (whatever their name is), it was really easy when I equipped the lightest armor and just sprinted to them and they fell to their deaths when following me, lol.

And now I'm getting my ass kicked by Executioner Smough & Dragonslayer Ornstein.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My middling machine can't manage all that SSAO and new DOF stuff, but DSFix made this game far more gorgeous than I honestly expected. A collection of my favourite HUDless images I've taken on my journey from start to current:

Just so many varied environments, brilliant use of palette. Fallen in love with game of the generation all over again :)

Thrakier

So I killed the moonlight butterfly and I got the watchtower keys though I can't find the door leading to it. Any ideas?

Also where should I go next? Blighttown? Garden Basin? I can't kill that huge monster there which shoots water. Also I'm way too weak for the dragon area.

EDIT:

Also, where can I get huge shards?

TheExodu5

Banned
So...I can pretty much skip all of Lower Undeadburg, The Depths, and Blighttown with the master key, correct? Am I missing anything big by skipping all that? Would make a second playthrough more enjoyable.

Is the Silver Knight Straight sword better than the balder side sword? All upgraded too..

I also have the spear...

BSS + 15 >= SKS + 5 > BSS + 10

Kind of a toss up between BSS + 15 and SKS + 5. Depends on the fight. SKS + 5 has a strong R1 attack, but BSS + 15 has a stronger R2 attack with more range (though it may not work as well on big enemies like dragons).

So...I can pretty much skip all of Lower Undeadburg, The Depths, and Blighttown with the master key, correct? Am I missing anything big by skipping all that? Would make a second playthrough more enjoyable.

Pretty much, main thing you would be missing is the Large Ember from The Depths for upgrading weapons from +5 to +10. Depending on your build / weapons you want to use - this may or may not be a big deal.

Also, you still need to do Blight Town, but can skip a large portion of it - although I've ended up crawling back up for some of the items with some characters (Iaito, Eagle Shield, Ninja Armor set)

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So I killed the moonlight butterfly and I got the watchtower keys though I can't find the door leading to it. Any ideas?

Also where should I go next? Blighttown? Garden Basin? I can't kill that huge monster there which shoots water. Also I'm way too weak for the dragon area.

EDIT:

You can either head to the Darkroot Basin and take out Sif or into Blighttown for the second bell. Killing the hydra is a little tricky but you'll basically want to run toward it (crazy, I know) while juking around the water blasts until you're standing a few dozen feet away from it. Don't get TOO close or else you'll fall into the deep pool where the creature sits. You can see the edge if you look at the water closely. You'll know you're in the right spot because the hydra will stop trying to spit water at you and will attack with its heads. Simply keep your shield up to block the head strikes then hack them off one at a time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pretty much, main thing you would be missing is the Large Ember from The Depths for upgrading weapons from +5 to +10. Depending on your build / weapons you want to use - this may or may not be a big deal.

Hmmmm...that could be an issue.

If I'm playing NG+, do I need to find all the embers again?

Mupod

Kind of a toss up between BSS + 15 and SKS + 5. Depends on the fight. SKS + 5 has a strong R1 attack, but BSS + 15 has a stronger R2 attack with more range (though it may not work as well on big enemies like dragons).

When I was fighting Kalameet I busted out the Balder Side Sword's 2H R1 attack for more vertical range which allowed me to easily reach the tail. The weapon's moveset is just godlike, it's got an answer for everything.

Hmmmm...that could be an issue.

If I'm playing NG+, do I need to find all the embers again?

Yep, need to find all of the embers again. It's probably a good idea to upgrade the items you want to use before starting NG+, the last level of the game is great for farming chunks - I try and get everything I want to use fully upgraded before going onto NG+.

Man wearing light armor on this new character is so good, I'm so fucking fast.

Yes you do.

Thats what I have been doing, I dont even understand how people can play with slow characters, Im not patient enough for the roll animations when you are too heavy.

Though Im considering suiting up to fight the damn 2 titanite demons at Sen's Fortress, I wasted so many pine resins already and I cant kill them both.

2AdEPT

you need to kill a mimic first to get a key to gough. Then after seeing the dragon in the valley the first time return to gough and he will badass shoot him down for so you can fight him. After that gough has nothing left to offer for you, if you know what i mean. :c

I killed a mimic in the township and got a key I thought...but maybe htat was a sorcery....never met gough yet.....I'll keep looking! Thanks.

EDIT:

The watchtower keys open a door near the hydra, although the master key will open this one as well making the watchtower keys redundant. You can open from the berg side as well via a door just before where you go up the stairs to Taurus demon. If you go from the butterfly area back toward the parish...take a left toward the basin...alternatively you can go out from the garden down a huge ladder close to hydra to get there as well but it is much more dangerous.

I am not sure what you have/havent done yet, but ringing both bells is still on your list I presume....if you already killed gargoyles, then you want to make your way to blighttown to kill queelag. You can do it one of two ways...either through the depths (requires killing capra) or backdoor via the valley of the drakes...drakes are tough but can be run by easily at any level. I strongly suggest the backdoor...it is easily the most preferred route of the developers and they give you lots of rewards for your creativity and ingenuity for figuring it out. I am just aghast every time I see the advice that you should go through the depths and do the whole blighttown area first before queelag because that was "what was intended." If it wasn't intended to have the backdoor and a master key etc. they wouldnt have made one..its not like its a glitch fer cripes sake!

I assume by huge you mean large titanite and not chunks ...which are even bigger than shards...they can be purchsed from a vendor in sens fortress, and later in Anor londo, which doesn't open until you ring the bells....RING THOSE BELLS! You will have to grind a lot of slugs in blighttown or the slime in the depths otherwise, or hope you get lucky on non-respawing big ass knight in the parish...lizards sometimes drop then as well do they not or is that chunks only ???!? Can't remember...becuase I never upgrade that far at that point....I use shit equipment for the bells then start upgrading after.....just get through the first two bell bosses first ...then come back with upgrades to kick ass on capra, gaping, hydra and sif afterward.

2AdEPT

I'll never play a Souls game again above 25% weight, fast roll for life.

join the club bro...I only thought it was noobs that allowed themselves to be weighted down at all...??!?!!? even my strength characters carry more weight in their weapon than they have on their body...this goes back to demon's for me where my favorite build was the demon mage with the greatsword and homing soul arrows. Something great about an "eastern traveler" "very slim" chick that likes to carry a monster weapon around and has the endurance to roll with it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
join the club bro...I only thought it was noobs that allowed themselves to be weighted down at all...??!?!!? even my strength characters carry more weight in their weapon than they have on their body...this goes back to demon's for me where my favorite build was the demon mage with the greatsword and homing soul arrows. Something great about an "eastern traveler" "very slim" chick that likes to carry a monster weapon around and has the endurance to roll with it.

I can work with the mid-roll though, quite well. But yeah overall I'm always looking for ways to limit equip load. Probably the most satisfying outcome of pumping endurance.

Maedhros

Holy shit... just "discovered" that pressing the run/roll button on stairs makes your descend faster... Why didn't I knew that in Blighttown?

ElFly

I'll never play a Souls game again above 25% weight, fast roll for life.

I am the opposite. This is my third playthrough, and I now prefer wearing a heavy armor (black knight or Havel) and just ignore enemy hits so I can concentrate on zweihander'ing the fuck out of everyone.

Game becomes waaay easier.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just got the Very Large Ember, about to take on the 4 Kings.

I've been using my Estoc for the majority of my playthrough and it has never failed me. I want to upgrade it from +14 to +15 but I understand Slabs are very hard to come by. Do you guys think I should upgrade or save it for something else?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I've been using my Estoc for the majority of my playthrough and it has never failed me. I want to upgrade it from +14 to +15 but I understand Slabs are very hard to come by. Do you guys think I should upgrade or save it for something else?

If you've been happy with it up to this point then you may as well stick with it.

The majority of weapons are viable as long as you're comfortable with the move set.

Thrakier

I killed that fucking water hydra thing and that stupid knight guarding the watchtower entrance. Take that you fuckers. I then ascended in the upper gardens, noticed that the tree-guys are much stronger there and saw some sort of wolf from the distance. And I ran away like a little girl to save my soul(s).

Im level 37 now, what should I tackle next? Blighttown or the upper gardens?

Also I gave the smith some gadgets several times, he always told me "you'll get something great just wait and see" and I never got something so far.

Zeliard

Beat Manus last night. He looks awesome, though much like Artorias, he's an enjoyable fight mechanically but was underwhelming difficulty-wise on NG. I even forgot to equip the Silver Pendant, and just dodged his magic attacks.

They're likely to be more punishing in NG+, especially with use of the Calamity ring. I think Kalameet was much more difficult than the other DLC bosses.

2AdEPT

Holy shit... just "discovered" that pressing the run/roll button on stairs makes your descend faster... Why didn't I knew that in Blighttown?
I assume you mean ladders? 2nd tier for BT is to ignore the ladders completely and just jump down to the next platform.

that depends on you...if you love your estoc and it is your primary weapon than by all means go for it...you will get the chance to get 2 slabs per playthrough, one for stray demon and one for the siegermeyer/siegelinde quest.....it is very easy to screw up this quest however...even after 1000 hours of souls and guides etc. I just screwed it up on my PC DLC playthrough....I bet I have done it only 2 times in all of 5 or 6 attempts (many other characters used BB glitch so was not important.) Apparently more people are getting SLABS from farming darkwraiths in new londo...still rare, but I actually got one for the first time every on this PC playthrough so it makes up for the loss with siegermeyer.

I killed that fucking water hydra thing and that stupid knight guarding the watchtower entrance. Take that you fuckers. I then ascended in the upper gardens, noticed that the tree-guys are much stronger there and saw some sort of wolf from the distance. And I ran away like a little girl to save my soul(s).

Im level 37 now, what should I tackle next? Blighttown or the upper gardens?

Also I gave the smith some gadgets several times, he always told me "you'll get something great just wait and see" and I never got something so far.

RING The bells -

Jintor

It unlocks the modify equipment tab where you can ascend weapons to +6, +11, or different elemental properties, depending on the ember you gave him

Beat Manus last night. He looks awesome, though much like Artorias, he's an enjoyable fight mechanically but was underwhelming difficulty-wise on NG. I even forgot to equip the Silver Pendant, and just dodged his magic attacks.

They're likely to be more punishing in NG+, especially with use of the Calamity ring. I think Kalameet was much more difficult than the other DLC bosses.

Did you fight the dual sanctuary guardians? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOglL601_T0 Not technically a boss but pretty neat. The Sanctuary Guardian boss fight probably should have been two of them from the get go.

Pretty great DLC bosses, the DLC levels themselves are only OK though.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, you just need to beat Manus, and they wind up being respawning enemies in the area you fought the first one.

I ended up beating both without the tunnel cheese with a Reinforced Club +15 last night. Pretty awesome, but the tails are still pretty useless, would be better if they inflicted toxic after enough hits.

***Slight spoiler warning for new players***

Does anybody know what to do if patches goes hostile? I accidentally said yes I'm a Cleric to him, and now he's going crazy on me when he sees me in TotG. I let him push me in and came back and he wanted to kill me, he said something along the lines of having to do it himself, and just goes nuts.

Is there anyway to get him into Firelink if I accidentally said yes to him?

Top Bottom