• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I rang both bells so gargoyles and that spider Quelagg chick. Stray Demon, gaping dragon and those two dudes obsomething & someone else in anor londo.
Did you give Kingseeker Frampt the Lordvessel?

If you didn't, go to Darkroot Garden, kill the boss there, and then go for the boss in New Londo Ruins, but with the Lordvessel still in your inventory.

If you did, then you can do the above, or go to Duke's Archives, Demon Ruins, the Tomb of the Giants or take care of the two optional bosses in Anor Londo.

Sarcasm

Did you give Kingseeker Frampt the Lordvessel?

If you didn't, go to Darkroot Garden, kill the boss there, and then go for the boss in New Londo Ruins, but with the Lordvessel still in your inventory.

If you did, then you can do the above, or go to Duke's Archives, Demon Ruins, the Tomb of the Giants or take care of the two optional bosses in Anor Londo.

Where are the optional boss' in anor londo? I gave to Frampt btw.

I did painting world but let her live.

Where are the optional boss' in anor londo? I gave to Frampt btw.

I did painting world but let her live.

Well I included Priscilla since the Painting World is in Anor Londo. The other one is Gwyndolin.

To fight him you need the Darkmoon Seance Ring of the Catacombs, or kill Gwynevere.

Haunted

There a way to
not attack her
?
See above.
But the only reason to keep her around would be if you're a miracle user and want to use the two extra spells that only work while you're in her covenant, imo. Not sure, but I think Gwynevere is gone anyway once you tackle that optional boss.

Leezard

See above.
But the only reason to keep her around would be if you're a miracle user and want to use the two extra spells that only work while you're in her covenant, imo. Not sure, but I think Gwynevere is gone anyway once you tackle that optional boss.

No, she's still alive even if you kill the optional boss.

Haunted

No, she's still alive even if you kill the optional boss.
Oh, really? That's weird.
How does that work when she's just an illusion made by Gwyndolin? Does Anor Londo stay bright as well in that case, and not transform into Twilight/Dark Anor Londo? In that case, I'd almost recommend attacking her or you'd miss the alternate form of the city.

Leezard

Oh, really? That's weird.
How does that work when she's just an illusion made by Gwyndolin? Does Anor Londo stay bright as well in that case, and not transform into Twilight/Dark Anor Londo? In that case, I'd almost recommend attacking her or you'd miss the alternate form of the city.

Yup.
I guess the illusion is self-sustaining or more of an automaton. Yes, Anor Londo stays bright if you do not attack Gwynevere, even if you kill Gwyndolin.

Got the game a few days ago and only started it up today to check some of Durante's graphics options because I had plans today, well guess not. I ended up playing for 5 hours straight and beating Taurus, Capra and the 2 Gargoyles.

This fucking game.

I can't seem to find many pc mods for dark souls. All I get results for are the res and 60 fps fixes.

Are there any interesting ones out there? E.g. pick a NPC to start the game as. Though, I suspect DS isn't mod friendly, but maybe down the line.

The only real mods right now are texture replacements. This game wasn't built with modability in mind, so there will be limits to how much can be done.

ok, once you round out a str build - it's sorta nuts. On my last few characters, I had a hell of a time with Artorias - my melee weapons chipping away 80 or so dmg at a time, taking loads of tries and re-tries to kill - eventually resorting to maxing up my pyro-flame and burning him to a crisp.

Going on him with my str build that is about 10 levels lower than I had tried in a past, 40STR, +15 Man Serpent Great Sword, 2H with a bit of Charcoal Resin? Hits doing a few hundred damage each, interrupting his power-up attack easily and went down with only needing to heal once in a matter of seconds. So easy it felt cheap.

Sarcasm

So I just wondered around on my way to sif..and fought some giant butterfly...which is uber easy..what can I make with it?

Anyways I continue til I came across these giant cats..how the heck do I get past the two? I killed one.

Grief.exe

So I just wondered around on my way to sif..and fought some giant butterfly...which is uber easy..what can I make with it?

Anyways I continue til I came across these giant cats..how the heck do I get past the two? I killed one.

I usually get as far away from them as I can and pull one with a bow. They are pretty tough if you get two at once.

Can make The Crystal Ring Shield, or the Moonlight Horn (or something like that). The shield used to be really OP when the game was first released - R2 as a massive-damage ranged attack, don't think it's nearly as good anymore. The Horn is good for int builds.

TheExodu5

Banned
Crafted and upgraded Life Hunt Scythe on a whim.

Good.

GOD.

I'm going for this on my new playthrough. Going to try to level to around 45 or so and get the Lifehunt Scythe + Dark Wraithe armor. I will then terrorize Anor Londo.

Replaying this game is actually really fun. Started a new character with the master key. Been two handing the Zweihander. Got to Anor Londo in about 3.5 hours (and got the Large Ember for upgrading)...not too shabby. This game is really fun with the Zweihander. Though, some sections in Anor Londo are giving me trouble with no shield (Painting Guardians...had to go spear + shield for those bad boys, as well as the Black Knight Archers).

Let me guess what sort of texture replacements we're talking about...

:p on a more serious note though, ones I've seen

- Re-color certian Armour sets, one makes a set look like Link, another makes another one look like Dante from DMC
- Cleaning up shield textures
- Putting gabe onto a shield
- Improving textures on some low-res buildings
- Bringing back the old 'you defeated' / etc text that was in the initial release of the game

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksoulsmods has a collection of ones that have been released.

I'm going for this on my new playthrough. Going to try to level to around 45 or so and get the Lifehunt Scythe + Dark Wraithe armor. I will then terrorize Anor Londo.

Replaying this game is actually really fun. Started a new character with the master key. Been two handing the Zweihander. Got to Anor Londo in about 3.5 hours (and got the Large Ember for upgrading)...not too shabby. This game is really fun with the Zweihander. Though, some sections in Anor Londo are giving me trouble with no shield (Painting Guardians...had to go spear + shield for those bad boys, as well as the Black Knight Archers).

I'm generally not one to re-play games once I beat them with very few exceptions. Yet re-playing dark souls just seems to get more, and more, and more satisfying.

Playing with new builds, mastering those builds - then doing challenge runs/etc, as the game starts to get too easy for you, you can self-impose limitations to make it hard again and require a new approach to playing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Best mod is You So Best mod.

I'm generally not one to re-play games once I beat them with very few exceptions. Yet re-playing dark souls just seems to get more, and more, and more satisfying.

Playing with new builds, mastering those builds - then doing challenge runs/etc, as the game starts to get too easy for you, you can self-impose limitations to make it hard again and require a new approach to playing.

Same here. This is the first game in a long time that has me wanting to replay it after I've beaten it. And damn, it's just really fun blasting through it since you can do so relatively quickly when you know exactly what you're going for.

Having beaten it now, I rank Dark Souls in my top 3 games of all time (with Final Fantasy VI and Persona 4). Just unbelievable.

After mastering Sen's Fortress, Anor Londor is a good reality check of the name of this game.

Damn, had to go back to my Claymore + 10, I love the Zweihander + 9 but its just too damn slow, cant hit the Gargoyles, by the time the sword hits, they are already flying.

Also I have no idea where to go in Anor Londo, I went down to where the first Gargoyle is, then I entered the high part of the church and made my way to the other side where I found another Gargoyle and 2 knights guarding the church doors.

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn, had to go back to my Claymore + 10, I love the Zweihander + 9 but its just too damn slow, cant hit the Gargoyles, by the time the sword hits, they are already flying.

You can pretty much skip all the gargoyles in Anor Londo...just run past the 2 sentries at the start, and run straight through the gargoyles to the narrow bridge. You can pick them off easy from there. And if you do fight them head on, just use the strong attack. Their attacks shouldn't stagger you and you should knock em out cold. Only problem areas with the Zweihander so far have been the painting guardians on the beams, and now the black knight archers.

Ruuppa

Also I have no idea where to go in Anor Londo, I went down to where the first Gargoyle is, then I entered the high part of the church and made my way to the other side where I found another Gargoyle and 2 knights guarding the church doors.
The 2 Silver Knight Snipers. Oh god. Hope you brought Poison Arrows. That was, by far, the most annoying part of the game for me. 2 hits with Poison Arrows for each from the tower with the two Spear Demons takes them out in a few minutes though.

Ledsen

You can pretty much skip all the gargoyles in Anor Londo...just run past the 2 sentries at the start, and run straight through the gargoyles to the narrow bridge. You can pick them off easy from there. And if you do fight them head on, just use the strong attack. Their attacks shouldn't stagger you and you should knock em out cold. Only problem areas with the Zweihander so far have been the painting guardians on the beams, and now the black knight archers.

you don't even need to pick them off. you can get from the bonfire to the archers only getting hit maybe once or twice if you just run like hell. then you just have to get past them... sigh.

Best mod is You So Best mod.

Same here. This is the first game in a long time that has me wanting to replay it after I've beaten it. And damn, it's just really fun blasting through it since you can do so relatively quickly when you know exactly what you're going for.

Having beaten it now, I rank Dark Souls in my top 3 games of all time (with Final Fantasy VI and Persona 4). Just unbelievable.

The transition from 'I have no idea what's going on / where to go / what items to get / how things work', feeling lost and over-whelmed, to feeling like you can master the game is amazing - not many games have that feeling for me.

I have two characters on PS3, one almost done NG+, the other just done NG, then I re-played Demon's Souls after.

Now on the PC, I have 5 characters now and over 100 hours logged and still hooked :) after playing the souls games so much, I've just decided to try a STR build and it's like 'why didn't I do this before?'.

I remember doing co-op in Demon's Souls in world 1-3 with a guy two-handing a crazy big weapon and being jealous at how fast he ripped through stuff, but I always found them too unwieldly and akward to use and would always go back to a safe-zone of turtling and/or ranged spells.

Now, finally doing a str-run mostly two-handing my weapon and it feels gooood :) the different move-sets of each weapon type/weapon really does make melee combat feel different for each one.

It's not like most games where 'a sword feels like an axe feels like a mace' with maybe just damage bonuses against certain Armour types, and possibly a difference in swing-speed of 'fast vs slow', and how you play with it is the same.

In the souls games - your approach to melee combat changes up (even if just minorly, although for some weapons - majorly), helps keep things feeling fresh.

TheExodu5

Banned
you don't even need to pick them off. you can get from the bonfire to the archers only getting hit maybe once or twice if you just run like hell. then you just have to get past them... sigh.

Yeah...I'm finding that to be a real issue with the zweihander. Considering equipping the lightning spear + sunlight shield for that part (yes, I killed Solaire...I'm a monster).

Oh, and had a really cool PvP encounter yesterday. Got trolled hard. A spirit of vengeance invaded my yesterday in Sen's Fortress. He ran ahead of me to the fogged door at the boulder part. I completely forgot about the fog, so he just stood there and turtled and pushed me right into the path of the boulder. I died, but only after I laughed histerically.

I discovered by accident that I can enter the church by walking on the beams from the lower platform where the gargoyle is, is this where im supposed to go? Or is it a secret?

Ruuppa

I discovered by accident that I can enter the church by walking on the beams from the lower platform where the gargoyle is, is this where im supposed to go? Or is it a secret?
That's the correct entrance, yes. The Painting Guardians in there have lousy Poise and Physical Defense, so if you're any kind of melee character you can rip them to pieces.

Sarcasm

The recovery times in this game can be utter bullshit sometimes. I was trying to lure those damn cats to get stuck but no one bites me with shield up so here I am being eaten. Than okay hes done I am gonna roll..second one immediately does same thing. This is much worse than MH lol.

The 2 Silver Knight Snipers. Oh god. Hope you brought Poison Arrows. That was, by far, the most annoying part of the game for me. 2 hits with Poison Arrows for each from the tower with the two Spear Demons takes them out in a few minutes though.

- don't block
- walk, don't run up ramp
- roll INTO the wall while going towards one on the right
- when he switches to sword, back track to ramp - he'll jump off
- head to bonfire, or rinse/repeat with one on the left to get the item near there (think it's just a soul if I recall correctly)

This part made me rage so hard on the PS3 - think I spent like 3 hours and up until 4AM trying various ways of 'how can I use my shield to block this?' then falling to my death. Finally gave in, looked up a 'how to' on the net and was 'ooh, dont block...duh'.

Finally got some bro-op action. I was missing out. :( The souls are just POURING.

I was already SL31 but I got summoned at Capra Demon. Went to co-op some more down the depths. Got invaded twice and lost LOL.

Not sure if I'm imagining it but the dude is a Pyro who's still using the starter axe (unupgraded).

Ruuppa

- don't block
- walk, don't run up ramp
- roll INTO the wall while going towards one on the right
- when he switches to sword, back track to ramp - he'll jump off
- head to bonfire, or rinse/repeat with one on the left to get the item near there (think it's just a soul if I recall correctly)

This part made me rage so hard on the PS3 - think I spent like 3 hours and up until 4AM trying various ways of 'how can I use my shield to block this?' then falling to my death. Finally gave in, looked up a 'how to' on the net and was 'ooh, dont block...duh'.
Sounds like a plan. Although by now I'm too traumatized by them to even try walking up the first ramp while they're still alive, so I'll stick with plinking them with Poison from miles away.

NG+ is dead. No invasions or summon signs anywhere for me :(

And i haven't been able to summon any friends for a week now. Shame Durante can't patch the botched networking.

I think I should start putting some points on VIT. I just don't feel like I don't need the extra health yet but it might screw me over later.

hbIRG.jpg

QoitC.jpg

JeTmAn81

Starting to get pretty frustrated on Ornstein & Smough. I keep failing over and over, and I can't seem to summon any help. Now I'm all out of humanity too :(

Ruuppa

I think I should start putting some points on VIT. I just don't feel like I don't need the extra health yet but it might screw me over later.
Low Vit can't really screw you over in basic PvE. It's behind damage output(Dex/Str/Int/Faith) and WAY behind Endurance in terms of usefulness, because 90% of the things that is thrown your way is either blockable or dodgeable. And if you're making a Tank, your defense can usually brunt most attacks enough to survive even with 10 Vit.

If you feel like you're dying a lot or are aiming for PvP, raise it up though.
Starting to get pretty frustrated on Ornstein & Smough. I keep failing over and over, and I can't seem to summon any help. Now I'm all out of humanity too :(
What level are you? And if you don't mind losing out on Leo Ring and Ornstein's gear, kill Ornstein first. Super Smough is much easier of the two.

I started watching EpicNameBro's videos, interested to see what he had to say about the lore and stuff (he's an entertaining player to watch, too). He pointed out that the Crestfallen Warrior says New Londo used to be
an undead city...

Up until now, I've run through that area going "ew, this is gross. What a creepy place. Ooh, I hate ghosts" and so on, without giving it any real thought.

Jintor mentioned "church" on the previous page, and I now shudder to think of the implications. I mean, there's that one structure that
Ingward stands on top of, where the floor inside literally crunches beneath your feet from the amount of old bones.

That's bad enough, but if you consider that
the whole of the lower part was flooded (in an attempt to seal the Darkwraiths and Four Kings iirc), that black, sludgy mess you're trekking around on must be something much more vile than simply mud...

Dark Souls indeed. I can't get enough of this speculation shit.

New Londo ruins is the coolest area in the game for me, without a doubt.

Top Bottom