• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

JeTmAn81

Low Vit can't really screw you over in basic PvE. It's behind damage output(Dex/Str/Int/Faith) and WAY behind Endurance in terms of usefulness, because 90% of the things that is thrown your way is either blockable or dodgeable. And if you're making a Tank, your defense can usually brunt most attacks enough to survive even with 10 Vit.

If you feel like you're dying a lot or are aiming for PvP, raise it up though.

What level are you?

SL50, upgraded pyro glove (+10 maybe?), +1 lightning halberd, Havel armor. I have managed to kill Ornstein twice and was actually finally doing well against Super Smough when I tried to use dung pies and realized I'd need to keep throwing them to actually make him toxic, then he killed me while I threw pies.

You can summon Solaire, who is right on the staircase that's by the archer.

Whaaa.....ohhh man. But now I have to go farm humanity *facepalm*

Starting to get pretty frustrated on Ornstein & Smough. I keep failing over and over, and I can't seem to summon any help. Now I'm all out of humanity too :(

I got stuck on them for a long time. Eventually I leveled up my dexterity a bit and bought lots of arrows for my bow (I'm mainly a Lightning Iaito katana guy). I focused on defeating Ornstein first and then Smough's powered-up version was always where I died. This time the player I summoned knew what he was doing (and Solaire served as a nice distraction) and baited Smough with magic tricks while I filled him with arrows.

I think it's the worst boss battle in the game, it favors magic users and melee players have a really hard time. Not that I have progressed to the future bosses yet.

Ridley327

Since you're already in Anor Londo, it may not be such a bad idea to offer your services to other players in defeating O&S. You'll get one humanity for each successful defeat, and you'll get a bit more experience on the best ways to handle them.

I was a phantom and got invaded at a bad time. Tight spot and I was low health as a phantom.

How come the invader's katana was blue?

Low Vit can't really screw you over in basic PvE. It's behind damage output(Dex/Str/Int/Faith) and WAY behind Endurance in terms of usefulness, because 90% of the things that is thrown your way is either blockable or dodgeable. And if you're making a Tank, your defense can usually brunt most attacks enough to survive even with 10 Vit.

If you feel like you're dying a lot or are aiming for PvP, raise it up though.

Not gonna bother with PvP right now. I'm just wondering how awful toxins would be. Poisons already eat so much HP. I can buy some meds for those now but I might run out of them.

Also, are those sewer rats trying to curse us? Can I get cursed as a phantom, kicking me back to a fireplace with half HP?

Sarcasm

SL50, upgraded pyro glove (+10 maybe?), +1 lightning halberd, Havel armor. I have managed to kill Ornstein twice and was actually finally doing well against Super Smough when I tried to use dung pies and realized I'd need to keep throwing them to actually make him toxic, then he killed me while I threw pies.

What is your SL>?

Anteater

I got stuck on them for a long time. Eventually I leveled up my dexterity a bit and bought lots of arrows for my bow (I'm mainly a Lightning Iaito katana guy). I focused on defeating Ornstein first and then Smough's powered-up version was always where I died. This time the player I summoned knew what he was doing (and Solaire served as a nice distraction) and baited Smough with magic tricks while I filled him with arrows.

I think it's the worst boss battle in the game, it favors magic users and melee players have a really hard time. Not that I have progressed to the future bosses yet.

Fought O&S on melee and they were pretty fun on both my first game and new game+, they're kind of slow anyway, the worst boss is bed of chaos

Ridley327

Not gonna bother with PvP right now. I'm just wondering how awful toxins would be. Poisons already eat so much HP. I can buy some meds for those now but I might run out of them.

Also, are those sewer rats trying to curse us? Can I get cursed as a phantom, kicking me back to a fireplace with half HP?

Rats inflict poison. The guys that curse you are the basilisks (googly eyed things).

EasyMode

it favors magic users and melee players have a really hard time. Not that I have progressed to the future bosses yet.

I'd say that melee players with slow rolls have a more difficult time here. Fast rolling can get you out of any jam, and is pretty important for melee players in this fight unless they're rocking a shield with high stability.

Ruuppa

I was a phantom and got invaded at a bad time. Tight spot and I was low health as a phantom.

How come the invader's katana was blue?

He probably used a weapon buff: Magic Weapon, Great Magic Weapon.

Toxins aren't too bad, as long as you have Blooming Moss on you, and it's very rare outside of Blight Town Snipers. Not sure about the Curse thing as a phantom..

I was just helping out some guy at Ornstein and Smough, and Super Ornstein walked through a wall and died after falling for about a minute. Good times!

Taruranto

Gravelord definitely works. I got gravelorded 3 times (and in
Oolacile of all places, ugh
) and i killed a gravelord once. The only Coveant that doesn't seem to work for me is the dragon one, i only saw a sign during my first playtrough at Sen, but apart from that it's totally non-existent.

NG+ is dead. No invasions or summon signs anywhere for me :(

And i haven't been able to summon any friends for a week now. Shame Durante can't patch the botched networking.

What SL are you?

I love how open this game is, even though Im in Anor Londo right now, I cant stop wondering what lies:

- Behind Havel, was never able to defeat him and I dont know where his entrance leads to
- Behind the Titanite demon close to the blacksmith at Undead Parish
- Fake wall in that one huge tree at the bottom of Blighttown, I entered and found a bonfire and what seemed like a huge tree-like structure, but I was too afraid to explore further.
- The huge lava world I found after fighting Queelag, same thing, I was to afraid to press further and just went to Sen's Fortress instead.

Also please dont spoil it unless sequence breaked the game or missed something very important that I should go back to, if thats the case, please do tell!!!!

Cant wait to tackle all of that, but right now Anor Londo must be explored.

I love how open this game is, even though Im in Anor Londo right now, I cant stop wondering what lies:

- Behind Havel, was never able to defeat him and I dont know where his entrance leads to
- Fake wall in that one huge tree at the bottom of Blighttown, I entered and found a bonfire and what seemed like a huge tree-like structure, but I was too afraid to explore further.
- The huge lava world I found after fighting Queelag, same thing, I was to afraid to press further and just went to Sen's Fortress instead.

Also please dont spoil it unless sequence breaked the game or missed something very important that I should go back to, if thats the case, please do tell!!!!

You can go back to all of that, and doing that after you beat the boss in Anor Londo will probably make things easier for you.

Grief.exe

Behind havel and the blacksmith actually lead to the same place.

Defuser

Behind Havel and the Titanite demon are Darkroot garden and Darkroot basin, all connected to each other.

Tree like structure is the great hollow which leads to ash lake which can be explored anytime.

Lava world is demon ruins/lost lzalith which is recommended after you beat Anor londo.

What's the quickest way to cycle through servers? Just exit game and load? Exit as in close the game? Logout and in on GFWL? How many servers do I have to cycle through? :(

Holy shit, go! GO!

Eh, it can wait :p

You can go back to all of that, and doing that after you beat the boss in Anor Londo will probably make things easier for you.

Behind havel and the blacksmith actually lead to the same place.

Behind Havel and the Titanite demon are Darkroot garden and Darkroot basin, all connected to each other.

Tree like structure is the great hollow which leads to ash lake which can be explored anytime.

Lava world is demon ruins/lost lzalith which is recommended after you beat Anor londo.

Oh wow, that is amazing, this game, cant stop thinking about it.

Only playing 1 hour a day is brutal with this game but it is the only way I can right now, still enjoying it though, I dont think I would be playing this game if the "Quit" system worked any differently. I can just quit and continue. I dont mind the no-pausing to be honest.

What's the quickest way to cycle through servers? Just exit game and load? Exit as in close the game? Logout and in on GFWL?

Whenever I want to play Co op with my brother, we just keep putting down White signs every 30 seconds until we are at the same server, has worked every time, sometimes faster than others.

- Lightening Shield, Full Stone Armour (or as much as you can wear to keep a medium-roll)
- If killing fatty first, be aware of your positioning and keep him in between you and skinny
- Hug their legs, and many of their attacks can go over your head, lots of them are blockable - and the ones that are not blockable can be avoided kinda easy

Helps to summon Solaire, even if he just acts as a distraction and does no damage.

I think it's a great boss fight, hard as hell - makes me rage a bit, but a good fight nonetheless.

What just happened? I was running down toward the fireplace from the elevator in the Firelink Shrink shrine and I just kinda... absorbed something? Somewhat like absorbing souls after killing but the effect is fainter. There were no message on the screen.

There aren't servers, sadly; it's all p2p.
I mean the matchmaking. I thought people did the same back on the console versions, but apparently it doesn't work.

Gravelord definitely works. I got gravelorded 3 times (and in
Oolacile of all places, ugh
) and i killed a gravelord once. The only Coveant that doesn't seem to work for me is the dragon one, i only saw a sign during my first playtrough at Sen, but apart from that it's totally non-existent.

What SL are you?

105. Was gonna stay around 120 as a PVP character but i ain't finding shit. Regular game character is finding plenty but i still can't summon friends. The sign appears and instantly disappears or i get the summoning phantom message and its not doing nothing to my friends game. Sigh. Torchlight 2 soon anyways.

Quikies83

What just happened? I was running down toward the fireplace from the elevator in the Firelink Shrink shrine and I just kinda... absorbed something? Somewhat like absorbing souls after killing but the effect is fainter. There were no message on the screen.

I mean the matchmaking. I thought people did the same back on the console versions, but apparently it doesn't work.

I believe this happens when another player kindles the bonfire in the area you're in -- you probably received an extra estus flask.

lunlunqq

Ah, thanks. So that's why I had 11 flasks. I thought it was something to do with my earlier coop games.

It could also be that someone gave one of your message a positive rating which gives you extra flasks. At least on the PS3 that's how it works. It's a system that encourages you to leave useful messages.

Ruuppa

It could also be that someone gave one of your message a positive rating which gives you extra flasks. At least on the PS3 that's how it works. It's a system that encourages you to leave useful messages.
At least on the PC version 3 positive ratings on one of your messages gives you an active Humanity point.

2AdEPT

The recovery times in this game can be utter bullshit sometimes. I was trying to lure those damn cats to get stuck but no one bites me with shield up so here I am being eaten. Than okay hes done I am gonna roll..second one immediately does same thing. This is much worse than MH lol.
Gotta draw those cats out one at a time with arrows...I found a safe zone for them also near the ridge where they roll right by me and I can spam magic at them and not take a hit.
Anywhere I could buy more firebombs? I killed the undead merchant dude for my awesome katana and now I'm running out of bombs
i seem to recall that the sens vendor has black ones and if I am not mistaken you can get regualrs at teh lady vendor in the aquaduct...could be wrong...there should be other vendors for firebombs though...despite that I usually use the merchant you killed :p
Starting to get pretty frustrated on Ornstein & Smough. I keep failing over and over, and I can't seem to summon any help. Now I'm all out of humanity too :(
Try to hook up with someone here..I am at work right now...but in the meantime, use lightning on smough, fire/magic on ornstein...help others and hire Soliare when you get your humanity.
What's the quickest way to cycle through servers? Just exit game and load? Exit as in close the game? Logout and in on GFWL? How many servers do I have to cycle through? :(
If its the same as consoles, they published a helping routine where you just have to re-drop over and over until the host sees it..this seems to work on PC version as well although the reuslts are far from equivalent...way worse on PC for trying to hook up with friends.
105. Was gonna stay around 120 as a PVP character but i ain't finding shit. Regular game character is finding plenty but i still can't summon friends. The sign appears and instantly disappears or i get the summoning phantom message and its not doing nothing to my friends game. Sigh. Torchlight 2 soon anyways.

you are waaaay tooo high SL....100 is the cap for PC version now that the arena has only two cut offs 0-100 and 100-200....obviously no one is opting for the 100-200 as you can't help noobs etc....I imagine lots are like me and hoping to stay as low as possible like the 70-90 range for the most varied action and co-op in particular in the DLC areas. I was abel to get the odd O&S a few nights ago with SL76!

Grief.exe

I just want to play Dark Souls but I have to spend all day studying for a statics test tomorrow.

I want to finish my current game with my Int/Dex Build.

Make a new SL21 build for Sunbroing

Level up my Str build for level 100 pvp, using the MSGS, BKGA, great club, and Demon Machete (mostly the first three for PVP, DM for PVE). Also need to get the last achievement the rare weapons one.

Anteater

Oh, didn't know about this. Blighttown keeps pulling me back...

blighttown is the best map, fo real

i seem to recall that the sens vendor has black ones and if I am not mistaken you can get regualrs at teh lady vendor in the aquaduct...could be wrong...there should be other vendors for firebombs though...despite that I usually use the merchant you killed :p

damn merchants, now I got nothing to throw :(

2AdEPT

blighttown is the best map, fo real

damn merchants, now I got nothing to throw :(

YOu can throw dung pies and posion knives etc. TBH I usually forget about firebombs as although black ones are very powerful, its easier to just use pyro most times....and keep in mind that more than several bosses are near immune to fire. Black firebombs can do a pretty good job on many bosses though.....how far are you from sens fortress?

Anteater

YOu can throw dung pies and posion knives etc. TBH I usually forget about firebombs as although black ones are very powerful, its easier to just use pyro most times....and keep in mind that more than several bosses are near immune to fire. Black firebombs can do a pretty good job on many bosses though.....how far are you from sens fortress?

I just got to the depth, I really only carry them so I have something to throw at a distance, and knives and other stuff doesn't look as cool :p

ElFly

So, -prepare to die spoilers-

are you supposed to do anything with Dusk once you rescue her?

or you just leave her crying in the ground?

Tilian

Banned
So, -prepare to die spoilers-

are you supposed to do anything with Dusk once you rescue her?

or you just leave her crying in the ground?

Yes, leave her on the ground. Nothing you can do. But you can find her again back at the basin as before, with a few extra lines in her dialogue. Elizabeth has a few things to say too. That's it.

wutwutwut

Well, Seath the Scaleless was only slightly less easy than Pinwheel -- just 2H rush him, consuming an Estus flask every so often. The hardest part was the way his crystals killed my FPS.

So I just finished NG++ on my ps3 copy and think I'm pretty much done for now, at least until the DLC hits. However, I'm starting to get this itch to pick up Demon's Souls and give it a try. Whats the consensus on the original Souls game from people who played its sequel first?

Johnas

So I just finished NG++ on my ps3 copy and think I'm pretty much done for now, at least until the DLC hits. However, I'm starting to get this itch to pick up Demon's Souls and give it a try. Whats the consensus on the original Souls game from people who played its sequel first?

I'd say more people here prefer Dark, but personally I find Demon's more enjoyable. The atmosphere is just unparalleled. Don't get me wrong, Dark is also amazing.

They're like two sides of the best coin ever.

Oh, for clarity, I played Demon's first.

JeTmAn81

Try to hook up with someone here..I am at work right now...but in the meantime, use lightning on smough, fire/magic on ornstein...help others and hire Soliare when you get your humanity.

I got some good suggestions in this thread, so I will be trying them out later. I will start by trying to assist others to fight O&S. I didn't actually know you could be summoned as a phantom if you hadn't already beaten the boss. I do feel like I'm getting better at fighting them, and I have the tools to do decent damage with fire and lightning.

Thrakier

I just played it on my PS3 for half an hour to see how it holds up. Played for 30 minutes. I think I kinda like it more. It's basically more or less the same although it plays a bit better imo and the atmosphere was better as well.

Nowhere near as good as Dark Souls, but it has its moments. And a lot of tedium.

gogogow

Demon Ruins, how do I get to that item on the other side?
ds2012-09-18_22-59-04uyahz.jpg

Top Bottom