• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

gogogow

Think about where you entered that room from.

I only went to the opposite side to take a good picture. I know you can jump to that side from where you enter the room, but aren't the pillars in the way? I didn't want to waste time, so I just went straight to the boss and after that the other boss.
And forgot to go back and check. I'm now at Lost Izalith.

Clevinger

So I just finished NG++ on my ps3 copy and think I'm pretty much done for now, at least until the DLC hits. However, I'm starting to get this itch to pick up Demon's Souls and give it a try. Whats the consensus on the original Souls game from people who played its sequel first?

It's great. The atmosphere and art direction are even better than Dark Souls, imo. Dark Souls has better gameplay though (and it feels weird not having the kick and that forward lunge strong attack).

Ridley327

I only went to the opposite side to take a good picture. I know you can jump to that side from where you enter the room, but aren't the pillars in the way?

The pillars won't block you from jumping over to that side from the entrance. You'll take a little bit of damage getting back down, but nothing to be overly worried about.

gogogow

The pillars won't block you from jumping over to that side from the entrance. You'll take a little bit of damage getting back down, but nothing to be overly worried about.

Okay, i'm at Lost Izalith now, but will go back to get that item. I really try to get all of them when playing the PC version. I missed loads of stuff on the PS3 version. The only item I didn't get is that chest on the bookshelves in Duke's Archives where you have to jump from the rotating staircase. If you miss you die and have to walk all the way back and kill all those annoying enemies and crazy wizards :(

Ridley327

Okay, i'm at Lost Izalith now, but will go back to get that item. I really try to get all of them when playing the PC version. I missed loads of stuff on the PS3 version. The only item I didn't get is that chest on the bookshelves in Duke's Archives where you have to jump from the rotating staircase. If you miss you die and have to walk all the way back and kill all those annoying enemies and crazy wizards :(

Someone posted a video that makes your life much, much, much easier when getting that chest.

zkylon

zkylewd
Gave all 30 humanities to The Fair Lady, did everything in order, and man it was nice to see Solaire standing on the other side of that door :)

joe2187

Banned
So I just finished NG++ on my ps3 copy and think I'm pretty much done for now, at least until the DLC hits. However, I'm starting to get this itch to pick up Demon's Souls and give it a try. Whats the consensus on the original Souls game from people who played its sequel first?

Demons souls is amazing, Beautiful gothic soundtrack, great atmosphere and characters

The P2P networking pretty much breaks the PvP in this game, half the time you have some turtling backstabber with a rapier, which isn't a bad thing at all, but when he glitches around and teleports behind you suddenly it's just fucking bs.

I'm beginning to think people hunt backstabs soo much just because it suits the laggy horrible connections in this game.

Sullichin

The P2P networking pretty much breaks the PvP in this game, half the time you have some turtling backstabber with a rapier, which isn't a bad thing at all, but when he glitches around and teleports behind you suddenly it's just fucking bs.

I'm beginning to think people hunt backstabs soo much just because it suits the laggy horrible connections in this game.

Definitely. Because if you're not lagging it's pretty easy to deal with backstab fishers (simply strafe in the same direction they are and they won't be able to catch up). Backstabs as a result of leaving yourself open is still a legit strategy though.

Kreunt

Banned
just got to gravelord nito, got killed before i could hit him once :/
those big crawling skeletons on the way to him are pretty annoying.

Sullichin

They are among the most difficult normal enemies in the game, however you can simply just run past all of them and go to nito.

Ridley327

Big tip: don't move out of your starting position; let the big skeletons come to you and take them out with a divine weapon (so that Nito won't be able to revive them). Let Nito come to you instead, so that the smaller skeletons don't follow him around as much. He has incredibly easy attacks to avoid, so wailing on him shouldn't be much of a problem. The only thing to watch for is when you do get hit, since he can inflict Toxin.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Big tip: don't move out of your starting position; let the big skeletons come to you and take them out with a divine weapon (so that Nito won't be able to revive them). Let Nito come to you instead, so that the smaller skeletons don't follow him around as much. He has incredibly easy attacks to avoid, so wailing on him shouldn't be much of a problem. The only thing to watch for is when you do get hit, since he can inflict Toxin.

Yeah, if you just stay in the starting area where you fall and let Nito come to you, you'll only need a Divine weapon (+5 is best) to deal with 3 or 4 small skeletons. You should never aggro the big ones.

Can't tell you how many doofuses I've tried to help kill Nito only to watch them rush in and aggro everything... Leeroy Jenkins style. :\

If I lack the faith to wield Astora sword, does is still do divine damage but less (how much?)? Does the killing blow have to be with divine damage to prevent skeletons from reviving, or can I just hit it once with divine damage?

ArynCrinn

Banned
If I lack the faith to wield Astora sword, does is still do divine damage but less (how much?)? Does the killing blow have to be with divine damage to prevent skeletons from reviving, or can I just hit it once with divine damage?

Only the killing blow needs to be Divine, you can whittle them down with anything.

EasyMode

Still does divine damage buts the penalty not meeting the stats leaves you with tiny damage. For the skeletons, its the killing blow that counts. If you picked up the occult club from
Anor Londo
, you can take it to a blacksmith and have them downgrade it to a divine club +5 in the modify menu.

Sarcasm

So here I am in Duke's (I like the palce so far)

I get out of jail and back into the archives..when I see a message.. Phantom Zarch has returned..was I invaded? I been playing for an hour or so never saw that I was.

Also..about NPC invasions, how do I search this on wiki - I don't want to miss them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Also..about NPC invasions, how do I search this on wiki - I don't want to miss them.
Here you go: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/black-phantom (you'd be spoiling who and where to find them, obviously).

Got Demon Ruins done today, and got to Ash Lake from the secret path in Blighttown, and I called it quits there, after falling to death close to a million times (and not managing to hit a single lizard once).

Made another mistake and got my second shopkeeper killed (
Pyro Swamp dude
) :(

It's great. The atmosphere and art direction are even better than Dark Souls, imo. Dark Souls has better gameplay though (and it feels weird not having the kick and that forward lunge strong attack).

Ouch, no forward lunge? That's one of my favorite things to do, especially as a killing blow in boss battles. Oh well, still gonna give it a try.

In any case, anybody else secretly hoping for a new Souls series announcement at TGS?

Jintor

Fuck Sif and his impossible to see summon sign. I have to spend half the fight looking for the sign every time I drop into that lair.

God damnit. Kicked an invader off a ledge on the way down, felt good. Got slammed by Sif and his dark magic bullshit. He can still move while his goddamn magic missiles are still whizzing around, complete bullshit.

krakov

Gravelord definitely works. I got gravelorded 3 times (and in
Oolacile of all places, ugh
) and i killed a gravelord once. The only Coveant that doesn't seem to work for me is the dragon one, i only saw a sign during my first playtrough at Sen, but apart from that it's totally non-existent.

What SL are you?

Dragon eye works fine. It's just not very popular. Might as well use the red soapstone unless you really want dragon scales.

Ouch, no forward lunge? That's one of my favorite things to do, especially as a killing blow in boss battles. Oh well, still gonna give it a try.

In any case, anybody else secretly hoping for a new Souls series announcement at TGS?

I've become a big fan after dark souls, so yes definitely. I don't own or intend to own any consoles though so I'll probably have to settle for a really late port to pc again.

zkylon

zkylewd
YES

I KICKED HIS ASS

once I found where Sif was immediately it became a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN
Huh maybe I'm missing something but isn't Sif the giant wolf? How can you miss him?

edit: oh probably some DLC thing DONT TELL ME I DONT WANNA KNOWWW

steal a PS3 you say?

to be honest I'll probably grab one when they hit the $200 mark for the bluray and demon's souls.
Probably a wise choice, I couldn't find much of worth in the PS3 library. Demon's is definitively my favorite, but others like Nier, Brutal Legend and the Bayonetta/Vanquish are all pretty great.

Zeliard

I like how a lot of gamers weren't too thrilled about having to take out Sif in the original game, so From not only adds
an adorable baby Sif
, but has him
help you in a boss fight
, and then adds a new opening cutscene to the Sif fight to make you feel even worse.

Those jerks be trollin.

Kreunt

Banned
They are among the most difficult normal enemies in the game, however you can simply just run past all of them and go to nito.

if i time it right i can usually 1 shot them with a heavy attack from my BK halberd, but then occasionally one will seem to leap faster and instantly take off most my health.

there's still a push (same controls as kick), changes with some weapons too (meatcleaver/DBS crunching shove <3 )

ahhh damnit i do miss the old DBS + cursed weapon ridiculousness.

I've become a big fan after dark souls, so yes definitely. I don't own or intend to own any consoles though so I'll probably have to settle for a really late port to pc again.

This game has made me a huge fan of FROM software, it's one of the best games I've ever played and that too as a PC-only gamer. I want their next Souls game on PC no matter what, I don't mind this port.

Truant

I played Demon's for 40 hours, but I could never get into it like I did with Dark Souls.

Sure, the mood is more "oppressive", but Dark Souls is just hands down a much better experience. I hope the next game will have the open word/bonfire mechanic, because it makes exploration so much fun.

I personally have owned demons souls for almost a year now, but I haven't opened it up yet.

Why?

Well I figured that, its going to be a while before we see another Souls game, and if it's on the next gen console, it's possible we may not see it for a good 2 years.

So I figured I'd pace myself, take my time to enjoy every ounce of Dark, take a nice long break, and in a year, crack that seal off and get immersed into a whole other Souls game, that will be completely new to me.

A nice way to bridge the gap, IMO.

Pyrrhus

This game has made me a huge fan of FROM software, it's one of the best games I've ever played and that too as a PC-only gamer. I want their next Souls game on PC no matter what, I don't mind this port.

My secret dream is that that company who was talking about converting Japanese console games to PC versions would port From's earlier game, King's Field: The Ancient City. I'd love to play that with surround sound and high resolution. It's basically proto-Dark Souls.

There's no time limit to an invasion right? Unless you enter the boss fog?

I got invaded while repeatedly trying to summon a friend and failing. I wasn't really expecting that I can get invaded near the bonfire in Depths. Maybe I should have, because I can place signs next to the bonfire. I think he was doing some butcher theme since he had the sack helm and the butcher knife.

SYaqw.jpg

I was just hiding at this spot and making sure my halberd wasn't visible. When he walked it I backstabbed him so he rolled away back into the tight corridor.

Dude was baiting me with item drops, and I managed to snag one of them (Twin Humanities). We had a standoff there for like 10 minutes. He was throwing poison knives, and I think dung since it was exploding. He taunted, and did really weird things like using binoculars and spinning around (as seen in the picture), opening and closing the door, etc.. I know I have to play safe. I tried poking with Fireball everytime after he throws a knife.

Summon signs were everywhere so I kept trying to summon someone and failing. After about 10 minutes I finally got a summon we rushed forward and murdered him. Cleared Gaping Dragon together.

Something's up. I checked his profile and he doesn't have a single achievement. Is the Estus Flask even skippable? He doesn't have that achievement.

Top Bottom