• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Dresden

I played Demon's for 40 hours, but I could never get into it like I did with Dark Souls.

Sure, the mood is more "oppressive", but Dark Souls is just hands down a much better experience. I hope the next game will have the open word/bonfire mechanic, because it makes exploration so much fun.

It's kinda hard going back the consumables/MP system after playing Dark. The game is also faster with less sense of weight than DkS, which may or may not be a plus to some.

There are some areas where Demon's just shines, though. Latria cough cough.

Zaventem

It's kinda hard going back the consumables/MP system after playing Dark. The game is also faster with less sense of weight than DkS, which may or may not be a plus to some.

Tower of Latria,Stonefang Tunnel,Shrine of Storms, amazing levels.I love Dark Souls but the bad areas were pretty fucking terrible.I still say we can't be to harsh on them though..it's onlt their second game in the HD "series" or successors if you want to call it that.Most games don't even get this good their first launch.

I like the speed of DS more - it just feels a bit more snappy/responsive. The consumable system does suck though as you could waste so much time just farming souls to get full stacks of everything.

I will admit, that on a recent play-through (after I beat DkS on the PS3) I used the dupe-glitch to stock up on the mid-level healing/mana items - still went about getting the best ones the honest way, and I'd only carry a limited set on-hand when playing the levels.

Ridley327

Something's up. I checked his profile and he doesn't have a single achievement. Is the Estus Flask even skippable? He doesn't have that achievement.

The achievements are pretty damn glitchy in this; I managed to get the achievement for reaching Anor Londo four times before it actually showed up on my profile. It's a pretty common issue with GFWL in general.

what is the minimum GPU i would need to brute force my way past the 15FPS drops at 1680x1050? i've got an HD6750 right now which just isn't cutting it.

Zeliard

A part of me wants to message everyone I'm about to help with the Four Kings to make sure they're wearing the ring.

Another part of me finds it perversely hilarious when they jump into the Abyss and just die.

EasyMode

Dark Souls only has one bad level - Lost Izalith. Though it is pretty damn bad.

My feelings are the same, although I'd combine the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith as being one area. I have nothing nice to say about this section of the game.

Has anyone found themselves enjoying a level that you previously disliked? I didn't care at all for Tomb of the Giants on my first playthrough. Now I find that I actually look forward to it, and I like the added tension of using the
skull lantern over the sunlight maggot.

Zeliard

My feelings are the same, although I'd combine the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith as being one area. I have nothing nice to say about this section of the game.

Has anyone found themselves enjoying a level that you previously disliked? I didn't care at all for Tomb of the Giants on my first playthrough. Now I find that I actually look forward to it, and I like the added tension of using the

Demon Ruins doesn't do much for me either but that area is fairly fleeting.

I've always loved levels like Tomb of the Giants and Crystal Cave. Atmosphere out the wazoo and an interesting form of the "inch forward carefully or die a horrible death" concept that the Souls game do so well.

derwalde

Catacombs, New Londo, Tomb of Giants.

First i was terrified, now i love this places :)

Ostrava was so boss (when he didn't wander about and get killed)...

Not telling the player that every time (after you saved him the first) you warped into Boletaria that he started wandering around was incredible and ridiculous at the same time. I watched in horror one time when he walked up the blue eyed knight and received a two handed claymore shot to the face.

Grief.exe

Thoughts on my PvP build?

Mostly going to use msgs, large/great club, and bkga.
Bkga got its r1 nerfed so not 100% sure I'm gonna pump the dex for it.

What do you guys think?

Edit: forgot that I have +15 pyro as well. Will probably do great combustion and dark flame.

arit

Finally defeated the Four Kings after one hour, now it is time to hunt :D

KweMM.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd

lol I promise you it's one hell of a painful experience...

Not telling the player that every time (after you saved him the first) you warped into Boletaria that he started wandering around was incredible and ridiculous at the same time. I watched in horror one time when he walked up the blue eyed knight and received a two handed claymore shot to the face.
Running to save him against the two blue eyed knights in 1-3 was so intense. He died on me on NG so I was dead set in saving his sorry as in NG+ and it made for some memorable moments. FATHER!

Tower of Latria,Stonefang Tunnel,Shrine of Storms, amazing levels.I love Dark Souls but the bad areas were pretty fucking terrible.I still say we can't be to harsh on them though..it's onlt their second game in the HD "series" or successors if you want to call it that.Most games don't even get this good their first launch.
All the X-1 levels are amazing, and most of the others are pretty darned alright too.

Also, this tune, forever engraved in my mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dKH-7QkFs

EasyMode

Idiosyncrasy time:

I only equip weapons and armor that look good, and I don't mix and match armor pieces unless they compliment each other visually. How can I enjoy myself if I don't look swag? I don't care if it's not optimal.

Very slim is the only way to roll.

New Londo, Blight Town, Tomb of the Giants - once I got over my initial 'wtf?!' factor, I really started to appreciate them.

Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith however, bleh .... I hate them slightly less now - but still dislike them. They just seem like such a wasted opportunity and felt like the devs got lazy/ran out of steam.

Grief.exe

New Londo, Blight Town, Tomb of the Giants - once I got over my initial 'wtf?!' factor, I really started to appreciate them.

Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith however, bleh .... I hate them slightly less now - but still dislike them. They just seem like such a wasted opportunity and felt like the devs got lazy/ran out of steam.

I read into interview on how from designed the game.
They put one programmer, artist, and designer in charge of an area. Maybe they just had their b team in charge of that one.

I do admit they could have done cool things with the area. This is where demons are from, show some lore or some scary moments.
Instead its copy paste, boring enemies everywhere, and some of the worst mechanics in the game (boss and damage from lava).

I do like how the area looks artistically though.

What's the issue with Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith? I didn't mind them at all.

In fact, Lost Izalith being incredibly easy was a nice change of pace :p

ArjanN

Idiosyncrasy time:

I only equip weapons and armor that look good, and I don't mix and match armor pieces unless they compliment each other visually. How can I enjoy myself if I don't look swag? I don't care if it's not optimal.

That's totally possible in this game though. Hell, IMO most of the armour is only there to look cool.

zkylon

zkylewd
Idiosyncrasy time:

Same here. I roll Set of Favor even though it's pretty shitty and expensive as hell to upgrade...

Finally defeated the Four Kings after one hour, now it is time to hunt :D

http://i.imgur.com/KweMM.jpg
How do you guys manage to get that far in such low levels I can't understand :/

Roll. Roll a lot, roll through everything, and if you can't, run away from it instead.

Currently I'm level 18 and I'm almost at the end, but TBH, I wasted levels trying to 1-hand the Zweihander. which I don't use anymore. and even when I did use it, I two handed it. I could easily be at level 7 if I didn't waste these points, as well as 3 random points in endurance. I'm far enough below 25% with Havels ring without them.

Damn mistakes.

Yep... 4 Kings at lvl 13... lol.

I think I was still in the Undead Burg at lvl 13 :D

Yeah on my first play through I beat the game at level 80-ish, this was back on the ps3. Then I breezed through new-game+ without leveling at all. After that I said to myself I need to try a low level the next time I start a new character.

So I did, when I bought the PC version. TBH, I've had as much fun this play, as my first play through. There's not much left to explore, no, but the actual intensity of fights is still there.

KarmaCow

Idiosyncrasy time:

Very slim is the only way to roll.

Well it seems like the only important stat on armour is poise (and weight in a way). As long as you can dodge, you can wear anything.

arit

Master key and high damage weapon to cut down the time needed for slaying bosses since most of them are simply [roll, roll, 2hand hit]*n.

With this character I only defeated Sif, 4Kings, Pinwheel and Undead Asylum, so I am even open for invasions.
It is nice to have so many targets and since invading has no upper bound it is not even slaying noobs only and just cuts down the amount failed invasions.

A friend of mine targeted his character to wield the Gravelord Sword, resulting in a sl9 character(could have been sl8, but he wanted pyro). It would not be that much harder, but I dislike the catacombs and have grown rather fond of the Black Knight Sword even though the Gravelord Sword's moveset is far superior.

Same here. I roll Set of Favor even though it's pretty shitty and expensive as hell to upgrade...

Being good at the game and knowing it well.

Starting with the master key - lots of good armor / weapons are available if you know where to go. Then upgrade the items so they pack a little more bang. You can also run past most enemies on your way to the boss gates and not need to engage anything.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't leveled for a good while but really level 13 just feels crazy low. Do you run out of stamina at like two hits, can't block for shit, etc.?

Grief.exe

I haven't leveled for a good while but really level 13 just feels crazy low. Do you run out of stamina at like two hits, can't block for shit, etc.?

Once you get the dodge/parry mechanic down you really don't need to block.

There are invincibility frames on your roll. If you time it right before you take damage, you will take no damage and be in good position to attack.

I'm on my second playtgrough and honestly just stumbled on how to do this effectively.

Edit: also I'm never going above 25% equip load.

gdt

Man, I get out of touch for a few weeks and someone figures out how to break the 30fps lock? Any videos of that in motion?

EasyMode

Yeah, I'm almost at the end of the game, and I've been fine so far. Anor Londo was the hardest for me, but I got that and the Kings out of the way, so I don't see much in the way now. (Not including DLC, I have no idea what to expect there)

Like I said a little earlier, I'm level 18, but I really wasted some points (trying to 1-hand the Zweihander) and could honestly be SL.7 and at the same point as I am now.

I have been documenting my play through so far, and have been updating this thread somewhat often, but the whole playlist thus far is here if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&feature=plcp

Sullichin

At SL1 you can make a +15/chaos/lightning/fire reinforced club, 2 hand that thing and fast roll all over the place staggering enemies with the R2 attack. Some bosses like Nito and 4 Kings I tanked at SL1. 4K was the hardest part of my SL1 run by far, but I'm sure the DLC bosses will change that if I decide to do that again.

Yeah, I'm almost at the end of the game, and I've been fine so far. Anor Londo was the hardest for me, but I got that and the Kings out of the way, so I don't see much in the way now. (Not including DLC, I have no idea what to expect there)

Like I said a little earlier, I'm level 18, but I really wasted some points (trying to 1-hand the Zweihander) and could honestly be SL.7 and at the same point as I am now.

I have been documenting my play through so far, and have been updating this thread somewhat often, but the whole playlist thus far is here if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&feature=plcp

cool, I subscribed

At SL1 you can make a +15/chaos/lightning/fire reinforced club, 2 hand that thing and fast roll all over the place staggering enemies with the R2 attack. Some bosses like Nito and 4 Kings I tanked at SL1. 4K was the hardest part of my SL1 run by far, but I'm sure the DLC bosses will change that if I decide to do that again.

cool, I subscribed

You guys are insane, just saying, im level 50 right now and I feel like a noob, everything kills me at Anor Londo. I want to stop leveling as I dont want to leave behind my brother so we can play co op, but im having a hard time not spending the ridiculous amounts of souls I earn and the only way to spend them fast is by leveling up unless im missing something.

At SL1 you can make a +15/chaos/lightning/fire reinforced club, 2 hand that thing and fast roll all over the place staggering enemies with the R2 attack.

This is very much how I play. Heavy attacks, massive alpha damage and no equipment burden. Roll like a mofo. and the +15 elemental weapon is so vital to these challenges.

I gotta try me a SL1 run soon. Oh man, I can see the headaches now.

Ridley327

You guys are insane, just saying, im level 50 right now and I feel like a noob, everything kills me at Anor Londo. I want to stop leveling as I dont want to leave behind my brother so we can play co op, but im having a hard time not spending the ridiculous amounts of souls I earn and the only way to spend them fast is by leveling up unless im missing something.

Upgrading equipment, especially pyromancy gloves and unique weapons, can be quite expensive.

If you really feel like you need a little more umph, a slight edge, you can always upgrade your armor to +9 levels, (or if you have special armor, buy the Twinkling Titanite) even now, as you are in Anor Londo. It will give you a decent increase in resists while keeping you at the same level.

EasyMode

Oh my gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd is that stable for the whole game?

I haven't tried it personally since it's apparently pretty CPU dependant and mine is pretty weak. From what I've read, problem areas like Blighttown are still a problem and the framerate will drop to 30 or 15 if it can't hold 60 fps.

Dresden

DKS is a game where knowledge/skill > gear > stats

When you first start playing, you probably won't have the first two and chances are the third will likely be fucked up as well. It's okay!

Top Bottom