• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Upgrading equipment, especially pyromancy gloves and unique weapons, can be quite expensive.

If you really feel like you need a little more umph, a slight edge, you can always upgrade your armor to +9 levels, (or if you have special armor, buy the Twinkling Titanite) even now, as you are in Anor Londo. It will give you a decent increase in resists while keeping you at the same level.

I thought about this but it means I have to go farm Large Titanite at the depths which is boring, but I might just do this, also forgot about upgrading my Pyromancy, though it would be annoying to keep walking all the way back to Firelink everytime I have souls, but it sounds like a solution to my "too many souls" problem.

BTW power within with a +9 Zhwehainder is awesome, feel like a titan.

Question: is there anyway to be faster at weilding the Zhwehainder? Im already using pretty light armor, im using the ninja suite I found at Blightown, the sword is amazing but I get owned by fast enemies, they always get me even with my 1H attack.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought about this but it means I have to go farm Large Titanite at the depths which is boring, but I might just do this, also forgot about upgrading my Pyromancy, though it would be annoying to keep walking all the way back to Firelink everytime I have souls, but it sounds like a solution to my "too many souls" problem.

You can farm the top of Sen's Fortress. Farm the big knight with the tower shield...he drops them pretty often.

zkylon

zkylewd

I basically farm the silver knights near the last bonfire before S&O in Anor Londo (1 hit to kill them if I parry, 1k souls each) while leaving a summon sign near the bonfire so I can help people beat them and also get a bunch of souls if they manage not to be stupid enough to die (it gives you 25k for the boss battle, plus whoever you kill in the way). The blackmith in Anor Londo sells Large Titanite and Twinkling titanite for 3800 and 8000 souls, respectively, and you can get 100k+ in half an hour or so and it's not really as boring as farming the slimes in the Depths.

Got a question myself, how do you upgrade weapons past +10? And where is that darned Uchigatana?

UrbanRats

Once you get the dodge/parry mechanic down you really don't need to block.

There are invincibility frames on your roll. If you time it right before you take damage, you will take no damage and be in good position to attack.

I'm on my second playtgrough and honestly just stumbled on how to do this effectively.

Edit: also I'm never going above 25% equip load.

I stay under 25% too, yet i'm still shit enough to need a meaty health and stamina bar. :p
And i've played the game before.

Question: is there anyway to be faster at weilding the Zhwehainder? Im already using pretty light armor, im using the ninja suite I found at Blightown, the sword is amazing but I get owned by fast enemies, they always get me even with my 1H attack.

You can buy Large Titanite from
the vendor in sens
, I also think
the vendor in Anor sells them also? and twinkling
which can be an effective use of souls.

But I do find that you quickly go from being souls-poor in this game, to 'too many souls to know what to do with'. They should add Slabs to vendors for 100k a pop or something.

About to buy this game tomorrow. I've heard horror stories about how confusing this game is as in they don't explain anything to the gamer. I've never had problems with RPGs before so should I be worried, or is there anything I need to know about before I dig into this game?

Dresden

About to buy this game tomorrow. I've heard horror stories about how confusing this game is as in they don't explain anything to the gamer. I've never had problems with RPGs before so should I be worried, or is there anything I need to know about before I dig into this game?

Just ask the helpful people here after jumping in. Souls communities are always uber helpful and knowledgeable.

Grief.exe

Don't look up too much, you want to go in as blind as possible. Ask here and we will always give you helpful hints.

Sullichin

You guys are insane, just saying, im level 50 right now and I feel like a noob, everything kills me at Anor Londo. I want to stop leveling as I dont want to leave behind my brother so we can play co op, but im having a hard time not spending the ridiculous amounts of souls I earn and the only way to spend them fast is by leveling up unless im missing something.

Well I didn't even attempt SL1 run until like my 15th run through the game.

arit

Just be patient and treat enemies with respect.
Read those messages on the floor but be ready to distrust them (If it has a knight face, it is a message from From, so they can be trusted).
If your menu screen has buttons on the bottom, they do something which might explain things about the game mechanics and/or your status.
NPCs may have more than one dialogue, so you might want to speak to them more than once.
Be patient, you are not the uber-soldier until YOU are the uber-soldier.
Don't be greedy or you might die an embarrassing death even by minor obstacles.
Ask GAF.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not that bad, but you'll have to forget a lot of what modern game design has taught you. Your time is as valuable as you make it, learn from your mistakes, marvel yourself by the beautiful wonder of the unknown and there's no shame in reaching for help.

For some reason beyond my comprehension, after Quelaag's domain I zipped right by the
Blighttown bell lever
and continued on my merry way. Hooray!

In other news, FFF- at the damn Estus Flasks. I haven't been able to upgrade them a single time, and by now I have so much health I need to down at least two at a time whenever I need health.

Raide

Ok, I will throw in my honest opinion as someone who also only started about a week ago.

If you have some RPG knowledge, then seriously don't worry. The early controls can take a while to adjust to, especially navigating the UI's etc and assigning items to slots etc. Not a major issues, since it all becomes muscle memory quickly.

You can also look at each stat and chunk of info in more details using the Back Button (I think! Correct if wrong please!!) so if you want to know what raising a stat does, you can check it.

Also, one of the biggest bits of advice I can give. DON'T RUSH AND MAKE SURE YOU READ STUFF!" So many people rush the game, get murdered by skeletons, moan that nobody said anything mainly because they skipped NPC dialogue. FROM have crafted an amazing world full of lore and details, most of which comes from NPC's and item descriptions.

Anything you need to know?

You Will Die Lots! It just happens! Especially when you're learning new mechanics and combat stuff, the early monsters will rock your face over and over. Once you have nailed all that and you find yourself easily wading through the first few chunks of gameplay, then you're ready to die some more! :D

OK, so this Estus flask thing is driving me crazy

I don't have the Old Witch's Ring, meaning I have to wait ALL the way until Lost Izalith, wherever that is, to get a Sunlight Maggot so I can trade it with the crow thing so I can get the ring so I can speak to Quelaag's sister so I can get the Flask upgraded. (I just beat the Discharge boss in Demon's Ruins, I've no clue how far away from Lost Izalith I am)

I just rang the second bell, meaning the lady below the firelink shrine was just killed by Lautrec (I think, I haven't gone back up to verify yet, but I'm fairly certain she's dead), so no Flask upgrades from her until I kill Lautrec which is I don't know when.

I don't know where the fuck the Lady of the Darkling is.

How do people manage the Estus flasks? I have none upgraded and am having to use multiple ones at a time now. Did everyone else just kindle the hell out of the bonfires until they could get the flasks upgraded?

Dascu

I don't have the Old Witch's Ring, meaning I have to wait ALL the way until Lost Izalith, wherever that is, to get a Sunlight Maggot so I can trade it with the crow thing so I can get the ring so I can speak to Quelaag's sister so I can get the Flask upgraded. (I just beat the Discharge boss in Demon's Ruins, I've no clue how far away from Lost Izalith I am)

I just rang the second bell, meaning the lady below the firelink shrine was just killed by Lautrec (I think, I haven't gone back up to verify yet, but I'm fairly certain she's dead), so no Flask upgrades from her until I kill Lautrec which is I don't know when.

How do people manage the Estus flasks? I have none upgraded and am having to use multiple ones at a time now. Did everyone else just kindle the hell out of the bonfires until they could get the flasks upgraded?
You are not supposed to head into the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith yet. Not by a longshot. Are you sure you can't upgrade your flask at Quelaag's sister though, even without understanding her? That said, an Estus upgrade isn't such a huge deal. Keep playing through the intended story path (Sen's Fortress) and you'll reach the Lady of the Darkling firekeeper soon enough.

joe2187

Banned

You dont need the ring to upgrade your estus flask with Quellags sister

Johnas

The lady at the first bonfire in Anor Londo will upgrade them.

Also, you need a fire keeper's soul for each upgrade. Have you been finding those?

The lady at the first bonfire in Anor Londo will upgrade them.

Also, you need a fire keeper's soul for each upgrade. Have you been finding those?

I believe I have at least one.

You are not supposed to head into the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith yet. Not by a longshot. Are you sure you can't upgrade your flask at Quelaag's sister though, even without understanding her? That said, an Estus upgrade isn't such a huge deal. Keep playing through the intended story path (Sen's Fortress) and you'll reach the Lady of the Darkling firekeeper soon enough.

Well then, that clears things up somewhat. I did find the difficulty curve to jump up quite a bit at the Ruins.

You dont need the ring to upgrade your estus flask with Quellags sister

You don't? Do you just give her the soul?

2AdEPT

So I just finished NG++ on my ps3 copy and think I'm pretty much done for now, at least until the DLC hits. However, I'm starting to get this itch to pick up Demon's Souls and give it a try. Whats the consensus on the original Souls game from people who played its sequel first?

So I figured I'd pace myself, take my time to enjoy every ounce of Dark, take a nice long break, and in a year, crack that seal off and get immersed into a whole other Souls game, that will be completely new to me.

A nice way to bridge the gap, IMO.

I didn't play Dark first....and I feel there were several key improvements over Demon's in Dark like the openness, bonfire, healing, magic costs/attunement, and humanity systems...but the bosses and worlds in Demon's are consistently better, although Dark has likely the best boss ever in O&S, and the blacksmiths, and NPC's have more character. Unfortunately..waiting too long will likely result in you not getting to experience the multiplayer, whcih was on a dedicated server and superior to P2P as well....they keep threatening to close the server..has it actually happened though? Seems it keeps getting a 9th life.

Demon's Nexus system was not as good as Dark's completely wide world, but both had a few instances where you had to linearly progress at times. The culmination in the final boss in DEmon's was wwaaay better than in Dark as the final boss was a step up, where in Dark he was kind of a let down. The world tendency stuff was interesting but annoying at the same time...I am unsure if you will experience that stuff offline, althoguh now that I think of it...there will jsut be less chance to influence the tendency owing to not being able to kill online invaders (special NPC's and their drops and special events only happen if you change the world tendency through dying or killing bosses/invaders in succession)....interesting and unique ideas that although weird ...were, well.... refreshingly unique. THis was the original virgin souls experience and will go donw in history as the most memorable gaming experience I have ever had...Dark was great but was a successor...Demon's lives on in the annals of pristine Godliness of a game. I anticiapted Dark more than any other release in history as a result...nothing like Demon's Crack to get one addicted!!
Okay, i'm at Lost Izalith now, but will go back to get that item. I really try to get all of them when playing the PC version. I missed loads of stuff on the PS3 version. The only item I didn't get is that chest on the bookshelves in Duke's Archives where you have to jump from the rotating staircase. If you miss you die and have to walk all the way back and kill all those annoying enemies and crazy wizards :(
Noramlly the most difficult to acquire equipment is worth it...some exceptions, but in this case my opinion is that it is worth it.
This was easy to get...which is that chest helm from a mimic.

Is it worth farming the channelers to get that weapon drop?
It actually is less important a weapon if you are not a magic user, but still very very unique....the dance isn't just for show..it acutally influences battle, both for the mobs when the channeler does it, and for you, when you acquire it.

This is very much how I play. Heavy attacks, massive alpha damage and no equipment burden. Roll like a mofo. and the +15 elemental weapon is so vital to these challenges.

I gotta try me a SL1 run soon. Oh man, I can see the headaches now.
TBH what is the difference betweeen a SL1 and a SL 100 if you don]t get hit? Minor attack power differences? SA sullichin pointed out, you can brandish some bad ass weapons that if fully upgraded are the exact same strength (especially elemntal) you would use at any level and although you are limited by stats to choose a weapon...olnce you get it and upgrade it it is not much different! If you don['t get hit as a SL100 and you don't get hit as a SL1 there is literally ~zero difference. If you do happen to get hit then yeah there is a difference...for me it just means I have to be quicker on the estus and kindle more bonfires to get 20 estus instead of 10...not a big difference.

If you really wnat a new game experience try going SL1 pyro with zero upgrades allowed...no weapon upgrade, no armour upgrade, no pyro upgrade..just base equipment whatever you can find and have the stats to carry (mostly just clubs) is fair game, but you will get a few pyro spells, a crossbow, and rings in particular become paramount. LOve souls but don't know what to do next? Try NO upgrades...you will hve a totally new experience.....I allow summoning on the condition that the summon is following the same parameter...but only one summon or NPC friend...that's it. Sullichin and I had a hard time with O&S but prevailed...4 kings have not fallen yet...but i am confident that where there is a will there is a way! I think with 2 black firebombers each king will fall fall fast enough!!!! Stacked with power within and sanctus to temper the tearstone ring effect who knows how fast they might fall?!!??!?!??! Will be fun to try.

nOte Sullichin: I know you were frustrated/tired while doing it, but it still was very memorable for me....was an awesome experience!!!!

NBtoaster

You guys are insane, just saying, im level 50 right now and I feel like a noob, everything kills me at Anor Londo. I want to stop leveling as I dont want to leave behind my brother so we can play co op, but im having a hard time not spending the ridiculous amounts of souls I earn and the only way to spend them fast is by leveling up unless im missing something.

If you don't want to spend souls on levelling up you should spend it on titanite at the Anor Londo blacksmith.

Grief.exe

Wow. First playthrough four kings took me so many tries. I eventually had to essentially cheese it with Havel's armor. I couldn't dodge anything.

Second playthrough. Took me two times. And the first attempt was just bad luck, I escaped the purple explosion and thought it was safe to roll back in, got hit, then immediately after got hit with a sword swipe I couldn't dodge.

Balder Swag Sword + crystal magic weapon + power within + no armor

Made a Bed of Chaos guide to help people out.

iXYLdrbS3lZFO.png

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm getting invaded within minutes of becoming human pretty regularly now, even with the WoW covenant. Always someone with overpowered gear from much further along in the game than my character. Love the game but I'm getting reaaaallly tired of getting one-shotted by these assholes.

Grrr...

Gvaz

Banned
what is the minimum GPU i would need to brute force my way past the 15FPS drops at 1680x1050? i've got an HD6750 right now which just isn't cutting it.
Graphics cards don't matter. I'm playing with a weaker card than you and can get a higher consistent fps at a higher resolution. it's all about the CPU with this baby.

welcome to console games

Speaking of which, I so madd. 2.66 GHz quad core (i5-750) and I can't even get a steady 30. But the thing is, I look at my GPU and CPU usage, and neither are even at half, so what gives?

I dunno, I've learned to deal with it so far, but now I'm down in lava town, and I'm getting 15 everywhere, its realllllly frustrating.

EasyMode

Nooooooooo idiot me highlights the text because you quoted me. I got trolled with spoilers.

Haha, sorry. They're just names though, I didn't mean to give the impression that you fight them together. That's two separate fights.

Speaking of which, I so madd. 2.66 GHz quad core (i5-750) and I can't even get a steady 30. But the thing is, I look at my GPU and CPU usage, and neither are even at half, so what gives?

I dunno, I've learned to deal with it so far, but now I'm down in lava town, and I'm getting 15 everywhere, its realllllly frustrating.

I have the exact same cpu and get 30 in most places, so I guess my GTX 580 is doing all the work.

Haha, sorry. They're just names though, I didn't mean to give the impression that you fight them together. That's two separate fights.

I have the exact same cpu and get 30 in most places, so I guess my GTX 580 is doing all the work.

I have a 550 Ti only, so yeah, your killing it on the GPU front. But this game, I'm convinced will run like crap in certain areas no matter what, just because I really feel it isn't optimized very well.

It's cool, the next Souls on PC will be beasting. Maybe they'll call up Durante and be like: "MAEK IT WORX GUD!"

EasyMode

But this game, I'm convinced will run like crap in certain areas no matter what, just because I really feel it isn't optimized very well.

It's definitely not well optimized. Even simple effects like the fog gates can cause slowdowns, and I have a feeling the game is drawing stuff that's not even visible.

Graphics cards don't matter. I'm playing with a weaker card than you and can get a higher consistent fps at a higher resolution. it's all about the CPU with this baby.

welcome to console games

Will this processor handle this game decently? AMD Phenom II X2 555 processor (2 CPUs) 3.2 ghz.

I'm terrible with this kind of stuff :/

Gvaz

Banned
I have the 720 version OC'd to 3.5 and i'm usually at 1920x1200 and 30fps except for some 15 dips now and then, that's with ssao and ssma on

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel lost in terms of weapons. I've been using the Grass Crest Shield and either the Astora's Straight Sword or a Raw Estoc +3. I have some other weapons, too, but honestly everything feels really weak at the stage of the game I'm in. I just finished Quelaag and the Moonlight Butterfly, so I can either go after Sif or head into Sen's Fortress. The lizard dudes in Sen's are barely harmed by my weapons, though.

I also have Pyromancer and a +10 Flame, so that's good damage, but I only have two spell slots occupied by Fireball and Fire Orb, so I don't have a ton of uses.

I've got 15 Vitality, 25 Endurance, 20 Strength, 16 Dexterity, 8 Intelligence, 14 Faith on my guy right now.

Is there any weapon I should go get or start working towards that would be really good for me at this point? I've given the Blacksmith in the church the Large Ember and the Divine Ember so far, and I haven't eaten any of the boss souls. I'm willing to try anything, so any advice would help.

Zeliard

I feel lost in terms of weapons. I've been using the Grass Crest Shield and either the Astora's Straight Sword or a Raw Estoc +3. I have some other weapons, too, but honestly everything feels really weak at the stage of the game I'm in. I just finished Quelaag and the Moonlight Butterfly, so I can either go after Sif or head into Sen's Fortress. The lizard dudes in Sen's are barely harmed by my weapons, though.

I also have Pyromancer and a +10 Flame, so that's good damage, but I only have two spell slots occupied by Fireball and Fire Orb, so I don't have a ton of uses.

I've got 15 Vitality, 25 Endurance, 20 Strength, 16 Dexterity, 8 Intelligence, 14 Faith on my guy right now.

Is there any weapon I should go get or start working towards that would be really good for me at this point? I've given the Blacksmith in the church the Large Ember and the Divine Ember so far, and I haven't eaten any of the boss souls. I'm willing to try anything, so any advice would help.

That should be fine for that stage. Enemies tend to ramp up starting with Anor Lando, and at that point you get access to a Blacksmith that can modify your weapon to lightning or create boss weapons, giving you high base damage at lower levels (you can find a lightning spear in Sen's that can be helpful to some people).

If you want more power now you can head down to the Catacombs and find Vamos the blacksmith. He can create Chaos and Fire weapons, but you need the Chaos Ember from Demon Ruins first for Chaos, and red titanite chunks for both (plus a red slab to get Chaos to +5). He can do Fire weapons immediately up to +5. The Chaos Ember is a short trek from Queelag's. I tend to create a Chaos weapon early on in my playthroughs, but you should get used to walking around with 10 Humanity if you're going that route as it scales with it.

As you scale your stats up, scaling weapons will start to become stronger and you can then use Andre to craft some +15 weapons. But for the early parts it isn't necessary since elemental weapons will do more damage until you get other stats up.

Okay, so we were talking about it yesterday, and I've been giving it some thought. I'm definitely trying a SL1 run next. Actually I may start it in parallel with the current run I have going on now, seeing that I'm really close to finishing the game.

Hardest part (so far, lol) was trying to decide on what weapon/play-style I am planning to go with, and I think I have it figured out now. I know I don't want to whore out pyromancy, so I came up with an early game, reasonable method of getting ma'kill on.

I'll probably start another video series on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. It'll be like the one I currently have, where it consists mainly of boss fights.

It looks like you are aiming for a strength build but you are probabaly too focused on END for this stage of the game. I think you might have a bit of difficulty getting into a good weapon build without adding some more levels to strength and ignoring VIT and END. Also, Raw is not a good upgrade path. The grass shield is nice, but you can get the cloranthy ring pretty easily (in the great hallow) and then you can use a shield that has 100% physical and good stability (hallow shield or baldur shield if you can't get a shield off a black knight). Maybe switch to a club or axe, or get the sword out of the graveyard then tackle Sen's. Once in there you can grab the lighning spear and see how that feels.

With your focus on END, are you going for an agile build? Maybe focus on DEX then and grab the katana from blighttown or farm a baldur side sword. The lizards can take some punishment, but they aren't armored so slashing does good damage.

ACE 1991

So as far as 1H sword progression goes, is there something better than the sunlight straight sword that I should grab? As people in this thread have mentioned, I should be replacing my drake sword after
Gaping Dragon.

arit

So as far as 1H sword progression goes, is there something better than the sunlight straight sword that I should grab? As people in this thread have mentioned, I should be replacing my drake sword after
Gaping Dragon.

Balder Side Sword.

ACE 1991

Get to the bonfire at the top of Sen's Fortress. Go up the stairs, turn right, and follow the path and you'll find 2 Baldur knights that can drop it. Rinse and repeat.

I haven't been there yet, I'm SL30. What about farming near the bonfire where the entrance to Darkroot Basin is?

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't been there yet, I'm SL30. What about farming near the bonfire where the entrance to Darkroot Basin is?

You could probably do that, though it would be a bit more annoying since you'd have to take out 3 hollow knights and 3 baldur knights just for 1 chance at dropping.

Top Bottom