• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

Hah, I had no idea that red invaders could attack you while invading as a part of a covenant. That's kind of a neat detail.

It should also be noted that I don't think that maxing out your stats would allow you to do 65k a hit.

Regarding the katanas, I use the Iaito (upgraded to Lightning) cause the attacks are very similar to Vergil's from DMC3 and I use lightweight armour with it. Love the RT sheath -> unsheath slash move.

Thrakier

Those guys with the eggs on their backs...the sound they make....OLOLOLOLO.

Killed fucking Queelag after 10 tries. She was easy but damn she was still hard. :(

Rang the second bell, what's best to do next? I still have only a axe +5, I feel like I need a better weapon. Using Elite Knight Armor.

gogogow

I just gave Quelaag's sister 31 humanities (checked book). Nothing happened, no new pyromancy, door didn't unlock (in boss area). What gives?

mxgt

Banned
I just gave Quelaag's sister 31 humanities (checked book). Nothing happened, no new pyromancy, door didn't unlock (in boss area). What gives?

Should have gotten the Chaos Storm pyromancy and the shortcut doesn't open until you access it from the Lost Izalith side.

Did you leave the covenant at any point? It resets if you do. Try for 40.

Also, boss area?
you know the door is to the right, just before the Demon Firesage fog door, yeah?

gogogow

Should have gotten the Chaos Storm pyromancy and the shortcut doesn't open until you access it from the Lost Izalith side.

Did you leave the covenant at any point? It resets if you do. Try for 40.

Also, boss area?
you know the door is to the right, just before the Demon Firesage fog door, yeah?

I thought the door/stone wall opens where you fought
the centipede
boss.

Yeah, I joined the Stone Dragon by accident, but when I went back to Quelaag's sister and wanted to enter the covenant, it said I was already part of the covenant. Try 40? If it resets don't I need to offer another 30? :(

Well, time to warp to the Depths.........again.

ElFly

I thought the door/stone wall opens where you fought
the centipede
boss.

Yeah, I joined the Stone Dragon by accident, but when I went back to Quelaag's sister and wanted to enter the covenant, it said I was already part of the covenant. Try 40? If it resets don't I need to offer another 30? :(

Well, time to warp to the Depths.........again.

If you join the covenant, it will say "Chaos Covenant + 2" in your stat page, on the left side, on top of all your basic stats -endurance, strength, etc-.

If it says that, in the room before the firesage demon -the boss of the area that has all the capra demons-, there's a room to the right, with roots that go down into a corridor. There is the shortcut. Go to the door at the end of it and open it.

If it doesn't say Chaos Covenant +2...well, time to pony up more humanity :D I think your contributions to the covenant go back in half if you switch covenants, but ranks are kept.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuut, according to Steam, I hit the 100 hour mark already, last night. I can't believe it.

Mind you, a good chunk of that time was spent waiting/trying to invade.

And about 10 hours was wasted when I alt+tabbed, and I left it on overnight forgetting about it.

Still haven't even cleared the game yet, I guess that what I get for have 5 different characters on the go at once though.

That like, 225-250 hours if I include my time with the PS3 version.

o_O

Wow.

mxgt

Banned
Wuuuuuuuuuuuut, according to Steam, I hit the 100 hour mark already, last night. I can't believe it.

Mind you, a good chunk of that time was spent waiting/trying to invade.

And about 10 hours was wasted when I alt+tabbed, and I left it on overnight forgetting about it.

Still haven't even cleared the game yet, I guess that what I get for have 5 different characters on the go at once though.

That like, 225-250 hours if I include my time with the PS3 version.

o_O

Wow.

I have to have close to 500 hours now across all platforms

I'll never get bored of it

gogogow

If you join the covenant, it will say "Chaos Covenant + 2" in your stat page, on the left side, on top of all your basic stats -endurance, strength, etc-.

If it says that, in the room before the firesage demon -the boss of the area that has all the capra demons-, there's a room to the right, with roots that go down into a corridor. There is the shortcut. Go to the door at the end of it and open it.

If it doesn't say Chaos Covenant +2...well, time to pony up more humanity :D I think your contributions to the covenant go back in half if you switch covenants, but ranks are kept.
I just quit the game after getting shitty dropping rate for humanities, like 0 or 1 per run.....
but will check the stats page once I boot up the game again later in the day. Thanks.

Ahhhh.....THAT room. Got it. What about the door in the Centipede boss area? That door can't be opened? Anyone know?

Sullichin

I just quit the game after getting shitty dropping rate for humanities, like 0 or 1 per run.....
but will check the stats page once I boot up the game again later in the day. Thanks.

Ahhhh.....THAT room. Got it. What about the door in the Centipede boss area? That door can't be opened? Anyone know?

Nope.

ElFly

There's a DLC area with super high humanity drop rates, but I doubt you are ready for that.

I went with the depths -love all the new warpable bonfires, even if for some reason there aren't any for lost izalith-, and killing all the rats downstairs while wearing covetous ring. I actually didn't have to grind much since I started saving humanity for chaos covenant since the start of the game.

gogogow

There's a DLC area with super high humanity drop rates, but I doubt you are ready for that.

I went with the depths -love all the new warpable bonfires, even if for some reason there aren't any for lost izalith-, and killing all the rats downstairs while wearing covetous ring. I actually didn't have to grind much since I started saving humanity for chaos covenant since the start of the game.

Do you need a super high soul level to be good enough for the DLC area's? Haven't played any yet or do you need to finish the game first? I haven't read much about them and I don't even know how to access the DLC content.

I got the covetous ring equipped too, but just now I got 0-1 humanity per run. A couple a days ago, I got at least 2-3 per run and sometimes even 4.

Thrakier

Those guys with the eggs on their backs...the sound they make....OLOLOLOLO.

Killed fucking Queelag after 10 tries. She was easy but damn she was still hard. :(

Rang the second bell, what's best to do next? I still have only a axe +5, I feel like I need a better weapon. Using Elite Knight Armor.

Where should I go next? Sen or demons cave or....?

Thrakier

Sen's Fortress. In the meantime you could try Darkroot Basin.

Basin I did already, killed the huge water monster there. The upper part of Darkroots Garden where the wolfs are is way too hard though. I did the wolfs but those knights, god damn. I'd like to use a DEX weapon instead of my +5 axe but I don't have a good one. :(

Everything after Anor Londo has felt weirdly easy, I went to Darkroot Garden or whatever where the Butterfly is, I killed it in 3 shots with my upgraded Zwehainder Lightining +3. Also all the enemies in this area where pretty easy.

I then headed to the Darkroot Basin and defeated Havel and the Hydra pretty easily too, I can even one shot kill the crystal hulk thingies. I stopped playing there last night, Im sure there is a difficulty spike coming though. Cant wait :)

Also, Ash lake was amazing, the atmosphere is so sublime.

Some pics of my journey yesterday (I asked for the day off to play the game haha)

263691F2C34D873E3040AA66852F7921859D2CC4

D87AF1776674E55E821D0CC8B6765BF88D0ACCF7

ElFly

Do you need a super high soul level to be good enough for the DLC area's? Haven't played any yet or do you need to finish the game first? I haven't read much about them and I don't even know how to access the DLC content.

I want to say yes. The monsters there hit hard, fast. I know I went there after anor londo, and went back with my tail between my legs.

There's a first area that's pretty easy but I did everything from the second bonfire onwards after I had beaten everything else in the game, sans gwyn of course.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I got the covetous ring equipped too, but just now I got 0-1 humanity per run. A couple a days ago, I got at least 2-3 per run and sometimes even 4.

Soul level isn't overly important but I wouldn't tackle it until your weapon is +14 or 15.

gogogow

I want to say yes. The monsters there hit hard, fast. I know I went there after anor londo, and went back with my tail between my legs.

There's a first area that's pretty easy but I did everything from the second bonfire onwards after I had beaten everything else in the game, sans gwyn of course.

Soul level isn't overly important but I wouldn't tackle it until your weapon is +14 or 15.

I'm using the Black Knight Sword+5, which is the max. upgrade, 330 dmg. And I think i'm 80+ SL. Not good enough?

2AdEPT

Where do I get the pole? I found a whip. o_O

Before I go any further...this weapon is like others have pointed out, NOT an OP weapon like the BKS, BKGA, or BKGS; it is a katana but does not have the same bleed and dex scaling as the iato or uchi...notwithstanding it is an elegant and historically accurate weapon and will excel in many situations ...(see below thanks to siegfried).....BTW size does matter....and if you can still move quickly, like you can with the WP, then is there really an option? ;P

spoilers on how to get poled:

first you need to join the forest covenant....I know yousaid you don't like the area as the knights are tough etc.....you can fight them if you do one at a time...no one would do well fighting them all at once, although there is a really easy strategy that will clear them all out and garner 7-9000 souls in a 1.5 minutes run.....but back to the pole worship......just run by the knights etc and find a small rock shelter straight along the edge of the ridge on the left..if you hug the cliff edge, only one or two kights will aggro....if you figure out the glitch then kill tehm off and go by there again and the other knights won't aggro...if not just run into the shelter, then run out the other side, down some stairs, and they should de-aggro eventually and walk backwards backto their posts. You will have passed ALvina the covenenant leader insdie the shelter. Talk to her and say yes to all prompts. Once you do you become one of the knights...they won't aggro anymore, and hence you can not farm their souls anymore...do not aggro them once you join the covenant or you will will have to pay a heavy price to absolve sins in order to re-do it all. Right after going out of the door back toward the first garden area you will see SHiva, who was not there previously...simply talk to him and exhaust his dianlogue and the nexst time you go to Blighttown he will appear near the wheel at the bottom of the platgforms and close to the bonfire. Bring lots of souls and buy what you want...and then kill him for his shield and sword.....but watch out...he has a secret back-up bodyguard! If you want to try out he covenant more , don't kill or even aggro anyone down there.
Awesome research!!!!...I bet the developers used that upward and downward "swallow tail" moveset for most of the weapons in the game based on this one weapon.....I always loved the aesthetic of the washing pole combos....the developers did an EXCELLENT job re-creating the "bird-like" visuals........the art and conjuration of the aesthetics in this game are second to none.....so great to have the fixes to enjoy it even more now!!!! Does anyone know if the community is coughing up enough cpoin for Durante and the 60FPS guy? I will give more if I hear that there was an anemic response.
I'm using the Black Knight Sword+5, which is the max. upgrade, 330 dmg. And I think i'm 80+ SL. Not good enough?

You are ALWAYS able to go into any area in souls games and figure out a strategy that will enable you to succeed. Rather than max stats and fully upgrade weapons, I suggest you try strategies and tactics instead...most of the brilliance in this game is owing to the fact that the developers obviously thought about it, made difficult and intimidating monsters and bosses....but ALWAYS give these poor saps a krytonite...the draw to this game for me is to figure this stuff out. Doing a SL1 pyro no upgrade run will strenghten your skill with this and harden your resolve....unlike most games, this world gives you the option to just run by enemies you can't beat a lot of the time as well.

AS much as I was exactly the same when I started...this game has taught me that dying is not bad, its simply a learning opportunity...very profound implicaiton for real life as well! Next time your parents give you a rough time ask them if in thier neglect of video games they ever had considered the ontological nature of their existense as deeply as you have!!!! Seriously, what woould be the harm in just going there and testing for yourself if you hare strong enough yet? The area is difficult and unforgiving, but the BKS is OP and can last through the whole game. OF course if you took a washing pole to +15 and then buffed it with Darkmoon (30 faith) this would be superior, albeit only able to do so in spurts.

THe only thing that I learned ahead of time that made a difference to me was that there is lots of
sorcery
drops/finds in the new content..when I heard this I scrapped my Skywalker faith build (easier to do after epic fail with the Ingward glitch) and re-started as a sorcerer so that I could experience the new stuff right away. But now after I missed a tail and have a few options to reverse with the new contnet I am back on NG with the glory of the DSFIX and 60FPS and I have no greater ambition than to try out my favourite skywalker buiild - washing pole +15; emit force, logans robe, Darth vader black iron gauntlets for poise, dusk crown/thief's hood, lightning spears, darkmoon blade, Dark Wood grain Ring.....haven't decided whether i will go high endurance and limit dex, or go hiogh dex and use havels ring instead. Although it wrecks the the aesthetic of the build I usually succumb to putting the grass crest on back, but if I don[t do havel's I could use cloranthy ring instead. Imagine if you could your character looking and swinging like Darth Maul??? Rydell's pole in Demon's was not good enough, nor was the moveset even close.

dsk1210

I hope Durante got at least £2,000 in donations, I donated to him, he put in a hell of a lot of work for the first 3 weeks, I have not donated to the 60fps guy yet, not sure who produced it to be honest.

gogogow

You are ALWAYS able to go into any area in souls games and figure out a strategy that will enable you to succeed. Rather than max stats and fully upgrade weapons, I suggest you try to strategies and tactics instead...most of the brilliance in this game is owing to the fact that the developers obviously thought about it, made difficult and intimidating monsters and bosses....but ALWAYS give these poor saps a krytonite...the draw to this game for me is to figure this stuff out. Doing a SL1 pyro no upgrade run will strenghten your skill with this and harden your resolve.

AS much as I was exactly the same when I started...this game has taught me that dying is not bad, its simply a learning opportunity...very profound implicaiton for real life as well! Next time your parents give you a rough time ask them if in thier neglect of video games they ever had considered the ontological nature of their existense as deeply as you have!!!! Seriously, what woould be the harm in just going there and testing for yourself if you hare strong enough yet? The area is difficult and unforgiving, but the BKS is OP and can last through the whole game. OF course if you took a washing pole to +15 and then buffed it with Darkmoon (30 faith) this would be superior, albeit only able to do so in spurts.

That's plenty.

Haha, okay, i'll try to do a DLC level. The thing is, I don't even know where they are or how to access them. I'll try to read up on them on the wiki and try to tackle one of them. Probably after Lost Izalith or i'll just skip Izalith for now, since I just started this level anyway.

2AdEPT

Haha, okay, i'll try to do a DLC level. The thing is, I don't even know where they are or how to access them. I'll try to read up on them on the wiki and try to tackle one of them. Probably after Lost Izalith or i'll just skip Izalith for now, since I just started this level anyway.

Don't read too much on the wiki.....there is a happy medium between going in with awareness, and completely spoiling the exploration/puzzle aspect ofthe game. Here are a few non-spoilery hints:

MOst have heard that the DLC is related to the
DUsk of Oolacile...
ensure to scrutinize her area. SHe is a sorcery vendor....if there was one level in the game that has the best sorcery advnacement, what would it be? THose hints should be enough for you to figure out what to do withough any wiki. The only benefit of goign through lost izalith first and its not even all the way in to izalith, is that the
sunlight maggot
is high in fire resistance....all new DLC needs at least one firey dragon.....there are other benefits to having the helm...will not expand on that even in blacked out form though!!!!

I cant wait to beat the game so I can see these videos, dont want to spoil it too much hehe.

The thing about this game is, at least in my experience/opinion, it really picks up once you actually beat it, and all the plot/main surprises are out of the way.

After I beat it the first time, I went online and started watching all these videos and seeing different play-styles and, secrets I had no idea existed.

So I had to dive right back in, and keep playing.

It's one of those games, yeah you can get through the main content, but it still manages to hang onto your interest long after you get through it the first time.

This game is magical.

Edit: And even with all the resources online, this week I stumble across 2 new things I've never even seen before, both found via exploration. One of which was a glitch that got me stuck in a well. Haha.

Thrakier

Before I go any further...this weapon is like others have pointed out, NOT an OP weapon like the BKS, BKGA, or BKGS; it is a katana but does not have the same bleed and dex scaling as the iato or uchi...notwithstanding it is an elegant and historically accurate weapon and will excel in many situations ...(see below thanks to siegfried).....BTW size does matter....and if you can still move quickly, like you can with the WP, then is there really an option? ;P

spoilers on how to get poled:

first you need to join the forest covenant....I know yousaid you don't like the area as the knights are tough etc.....you can fight them if you do one at a time...no one would do well fighting them all at once, although there is a really easy strategy that will clear them all out and garner 7-9000 souls in a 1.5 minutes run.....but back to the pole worship......just run by the knights etc and find a small rock shelter straight along the edge of the ridge on the left..if you hug the cliff edge, only one or two kights will aggro....if you figure out the glitch then kill tehm off and go by there again and the other knights won't aggro...if not just run into the shelter, then run out the other side, down some stairs, and they should de-aggro eventually and walk backwards backto their posts. You will have passed ALvina the covenenant leader insdie the shelter. Talk to her and say yes to all prompts. Once you do you become one of the knights...they won't aggro anymore, and hence you can not farm their souls anymore...do not aggro them once you join the covenant or you will will have to pay a heavy price to absolve sins in order to re-do it all. Right after going out of the door back toward the first garden area you will see SHiva, who was not there previously...simply talk to him and exhaust his dianlogue and the nexst time you go to Blighttown he will appear near the wheel at the bottom of the platgforms and close to the bonfire. Bring lots of souls and buy what you want...and then kill him for his shield and sword.....but watch out...he has a secret back-up bodyguard! If you want to try out he covenant more , don't kill or even aggro anyone down there.

Thanks, I guess that's that. I was already with her and said "no". :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Killed Seath and got the Moonlight Greatsword. Kind of disappointing actually, was expecting a harder fight.

2AdEPT

Thanks, I guess that's that. I was already with her and said "no". :(

Jut talk to Carim in the parish and he will "absolve sins"..... this may work, although the times I did it I had killed lots of garden allies, not just said "no." Before you go just ensure you have enough sin by giving her a few shots to the whiskers first.....which will guarantee you have lots to absolve not just saying "no." It will be costly, but I will share the souls glitch with you it you are short and then it won't be an issue.

Killed Seath and got the Moonlight Greatsword. Kind of disappointing actually, was expecting a harder fight.

killing him is no feat sure sure, but the moonliught sword si elusive for most...did you have help?

I don't understand how weapon scaling works and am trying to avoid the wiki as much as possible.

I'm going with a Faith build and know that I can ascend some weapons to Divine which scales off of Faith.

So far my favorite weapon is the Halberd which I have up to +7.
I have 4-5 other weps at +5.

Right now I have 16 str 15 dex 21 faith. I'm gonna get faith up to 30 or so as I'm told that's needed for most faith spells. Then was gonna just focus on leveling up Vit and End.

Is there a weapon I should look out for? a weapon that does better as Divine?

I prefer quick 1-H weapons, and range is a plus (hence my love of that Halberdo).

edit: I'm just about done with BlightTown. First playthrough ever.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how weapon scaling works and am trying to avoid the wiki as much as possible.

I'm going with a Faith build and know that I can ascend some weapons to Divine which scales off of Faith.

So far my favorite weapon is the Halberd which I have up to +7.
I have 4-5 other weps at +5.

Right now I have 16 str 15 dex 21 faith. I'm gonna get faith up to 30 or so as I'm told that's needed for most faith spells. Then was gonna just focus on leveling up Vit and End.

Is there a weapon I should look out for? a weapon that does better as Divine?

I prefer quick 1-H weapons, and range is a plus (hence my love of that Halberdo).

edit: I'm just about done with BlightTown. First playthrough ever.
Most weapons have bad faith scaling with the exception of some larger weapons like greatswords and ultra greatswords that have B scaling. Dragonslayer spear is also an exception but requires a specific build to be useful. IIRC only a few bows have A scaling with faith. I would recommend a divine claymore or zweihander if you can handle the slow swing. Also to make divine weapons you stop at +5 normal and go from there, if you upgrade a weapon past +5 you'll have to downgrade it before you can make it divine.

Top Bottom