• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Thanks Perorist.

Should I look to going Occult weps instead of Divine? Any more room for that swift 1-handy type wep in Occult?

Thanks again, I am trying to not check the wiki, not that checking through the weapon list would be all that tough but I'm sure when I do I'd find some dumb spoiler by accident.

gogogow

Don't read too much on the wiki.....there is a happy medium between going in with awareness, and completely spoiling the exploration/puzzle aspect ofthe game. Here are a few non-spoilery hints:

MOst have heard that the DLC is related to the
DUsk of Oolacile...
ensure to scrutinize her area. SHe is a sorcery vendor....if there was one level in the game that has the best sorcery advnacement, what would it be? THose hints should be enough for you to figure out what to do withough any wiki. The only benefit of goign through lost izalith first and its not even all the way in to izalith, is that the
sunlight maggot
is high in fire resistance....all new DLC needs at least one firey dragon.....there are other benefits to having the helm...will not expand on that even in blacked out form though!!!!

Ah okay, I wasn't gonna read a lot on the wiki anyway, just enough to access the DLC content. But thanks for the hints, I think I know what you mean. Then I guess, i'll finish Lost Izalith first.

krakov

Thanks Perorist.

Should I look to going Occult weps instead of Divine? Any more room for that swift 1-handy type wep in Occult?

Thanks again, I am trying to not check the wiki, not that checking through the weapon list would be all that tough but I'm sure when I do I'd find some dumb spoiler by accident.

Not sure on how severe the nerf to elemental weapons is, but they are probably about as good as occult weapons with no scaling at all. Generally I would say avoid divine/occult and magic/enchanted as it splits up the damage between physical and magic, which will make it pass through two defenses and in the end make it kind of weak. Occult/Enchanted bows with moonlight arrows are pretty damns great if you have high faith/int though.

If you keep going the normal path and take the halberd to +15 you can use it together with a faith-based enchant later on which will make it very very strong for a short period of time. I highly recommend this against going divine/occult.

Thrakier

Didn't you guys say one should upgrade the Balder Side Sword for a DEX build or do I remember that wrong? Because I have one in my inventory for quite a while but was using a STR BattleAxe instead....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Didn't you guys say one should upgrade the Balder Side Sword for a DEX build or do I remember that wrong? Because I have one in my inventory for quite a while but was using a STR BattleAxe instead....

If you want to play a dex character the BSS is a great choice. There is no "should" in this game, play what you want.

wutwutwut

Well, you won't die that much if you're careful, except for at a couple of bosses. I've died, maybe, what, 50 times throughout the game?

Thrakier

If you want to play a dex character the BSS is a great choice. There is no "should" in this game, play what you want.

I chose the Falchion. It seemed pretty similar but I liked the animations more and I thought it would be faster. Don't know.

After playing pretty awesome I got eaten by a treasure chest in Sens Fortress. This was by far the meanest and dumbest death I died.

2AdEPT

Not sure on how severe the nerf to elemental weapons is, but they are probably about as good as occult weapons with no scaling at all. Generally I would say avoid divine/occult and magic/enchanted as it splits up the damage between physical and magic, which will make it pass through two defenses and in the end make it kind of weak. Occult/Enchanted bows with moonlight arrows are pretty damns great if you have high faith/int though.

If you keep going the normal path and take the halberd to +15 you can use it together with a faith-based enchant later on which will make it very very strong for a short period of time. I highly recommend this against going divine/occult.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

use your faith points for magic, your dex/strenght points for a scalable sword or weapon...plus 15. Make a couple elementals for situational use - one chaos, one lighting. THe rest make physical and buff with your faith, or resins. I believe several of the faith miracles increase with higher faith points...you may wan tto consider how much more to spend vs. defense..if you never get hit, then don't go for defense go for attack power....if you tank a lot of hits, maybe the vitality and endurance (and the armour that accompanies it) will be a better option for this character. I find that now after 1000 hours vitality and endutrance are less important as I don[t get hit as much regradless.

If you like faith, consider my skywalker build, which I push towards faith/dex more than vit/end:
Logans robe
thief hood/dusk crown
washing pole +15
darkmoon blade buff (30 faith req.)
Darkmoon bow
Emit force (18 faith iirc)
lightning spears (various faith req. up to 50 for sunlight spears)
rings:
havels for poise gauntlets like black iron (darth vader gloves)
flippy ring for jedi tactics
Ring of sons first born for better damage through "the force"
stamina buffs

Grief.exe

Just beat the 4 Kings on NG+ at SL60 on my 3rd attempt, first time player in Dark Souls and its my 3rd total time beating them and my first NG+ playthrough.

The first time I saw the 4 Kings I thought it was massive bullshit, but now that I know the ins and outs its one of my favorite fights. There are just so many things to manage, and factors to account for, makes for a truly dynamic and intense fight.

I almost beat them on my first attempt, but the last king just had horrible RNG and I actually ended up with 3 up at once. I can somewhat effectively dodge 2 but 3 is pretty hard.

Here is my guide I wrote earlier if anyone is interested, I know its a tough boss and could help some people out.

Honestly, 4 kings aren't that difficult. My suggestion would be to get down to 25% equip rate, and equip the Grass Crest Shield for stamina regen.

Have the Crest Shield or Dark Hand on backup for blocking their magic missile attack.

They telegraph all of their attacks, just dodge to the side as they are swinging and the grab attack. Dodge backwards twice for the AOE attack.
Using a weapon buff like CMW, DMB, or Charcoal Resin will help, and make sure to hit them 2H.

I just beat them on NG+ with a MSGS, Power Within, and Charcoal Resin. First time Dark Souls player.

Watch these videos:

Boss guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAcFixc8Q8&feature=plcp (skip forward to about 2 minutes for the actual attack breakdown)

Naked sl5 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuARyjBw8F4&feature=plcp

About to go farm for Large Club in Blighttown so I can increase my damage. Probably should have done that before fighting the 4 Kings, but oh well.

Grief.exe

Treasure chest can eat my steel.

EDIT:

The large club I just found from a body in laying around in the swamp...

You are probably thinking of the Great Club.

EDIT: 7 runs....All I keep getting is dung pies.

EDIT2: Got it after 11 runs. I was so surprised when I got it too, had so many dung pies in a row. The rolling R1 is so great for dead angling.

Sullichin

Wanted to record some sort of challenge run but didn't want to do a SL1 game again. Will probably do deprived - no leveling, no armor, no pyro, no shield except plank shield, club only (or reinforced club, but I can only 2H that) - no elemental weapon upgrades, so just take it to +15 and use resins if necessary. I can see it now: I'll be relatively fine until O&S, and then be stuck there forever.

Just beat the 4 Kings on NG+ at SL60 on my 3rd attempt, first time player in Dark Souls and its my 3rd total time beating them and my first NG+ playthrough.

The first time I saw the 4 Kings I thought it was massive bullshit, but now that I know the ins and outs its one of my favorite fights. There are just so many things to manage, and factors to account for, makes for a truly dynamic and intense fight.

I almost beat them on my first attempt, but the last king just had horrible RNG and I actually ended up with 3 up at once. I can somewhat effectively dodge 2 but 3 is pretty hard.

Here is my guide I wrote earlier if anyone is interested, I know its a tough boss and could help some people out.

About to go farm for Large Club in Blighttown so I can increase my damage. Probably should have done that before fighting the 4 Kings, but oh well.

Wooooooooooooooooow dude, although I can't understand the text, I see how they did the break down. That's nuts. And, the fight that starts at 8:45 is just ridiculous. Wow.

Grief.exe

So I always see a message here right at the bottom of the Moonlight Butterfly's tower. It always says Here! or Right.

What is it?

data20120921185841180.png

Wooooooooooooooooow dude, although I can't understand the text, I see how they did the break down. That's nuts. And, the fight that starts at 8:45 is just ridiculous. Wow.

Yep. He makes the best Dark Souls boss videos in my opinion, really breaks it down for you perfectly. Wish I could understand the Japaneese text because there are probably some good tips, but otherwise you don't need it.

I chose the Falchion. It seemed pretty similar but I liked the animations more and I thought it would be faster. Don't know.

After playing pretty awesome I got eaten by a treasure chest in Sens Fortress. This was by far the meanest and dumbest death I died.

The treasure chest being haphazardly in the middle of the room didn't tip you off?

Haunted

I've been watching a couple blind playthroughs of Dark Souls and it's pretty funny how most of them have aborted after a while (either by just stopping or by looking up things online). :lol

NotSoRetro does a pretty nice blind playthrough, he's playing pretty well but it just highlights how bad the game is at explaining things.

The treasure chest being haphazardly in the middle of the room didn't tip you off?
If it's his first mimic? Of course not, don't be ridiculous.

I've been watching a couple blind playthroughs of Dark Souls and it's pretty funny how most of them have aborted after a while (either by just stopping or by looking up things online). :lol

NotSoRetro does a pretty nice blind playthrough, he's playing pretty well but it just highlights how bad the game is at explaining things.

I used to watch other people's let's play, and you are right, a lot of people have abandoned the game. I think that the dudes who do let's play's for the sake of views/hits don't find it worth investing the time. They can't ROFL stomp through the game like all the other ones they are used to.

On the other hand, some people can't just get over the curve, and give up.

So lately, I've just been watching highlights of people's playthroughs, preferably people who know what they are doing/talking about. I specifically like epicnamebro, and today I found some dude called vageta311, I'm enjoying his runs so far.

I'd be really interested to see what the completion rate is for this game.

I guess I am weird because I figured it was a trap given that every single chest before had never been laying around in the middle of a room diagonally (with nothing else in the room). There is absolutely nothing more they could do to telegraph it. I hit it first and woah game trope mimic making an appearance in yet another game.

Also I guess I am weird because I never had any problems in my first play through progressing other than wearing that ring for the four kings (I had gotten the ring, I just didn't know to use it).

Ridley327

Can someone explain to me what humanity is and what kindle is please?

At its core, humanity is a stat enhancement for both your item discovery stat, as well as your curse resistance. Having humanity also enables you to spend it at bonfires to reverse your hollowing (thereby putting you back into human form), as well as being able to kindle bonfires, which allows you to recover more Estus Flask charges. Initially, you start off with the ability to kindle bonfires once (which would allow you to recover a max of ten charges), but you get an item later that allows you to kindle further to two more, bringing up the maximum number of Estus Flask charges to twenty.

Humanity also has other uses, such as being the currency of a couple of the covenants, powering up certain kinds of weapons, and failing all that, being a pretty darn good health restoration item (and, really, the only one you can use as an invader if you're not doing a Faith build).

At its core, humanity is a stat enhancement for both your item discovery stat, as well as your curse resistance. Having humanity also enables you to spend it at bonfires to reverse your hollowing (thereby putting you back into human form), as well as being able to kindle bonfires, which allows you to recover more Estus Flask charges. Initially, you start off with the ability to kindle bonfires once (which would allow you to recover a max of ten charges), but you get an item later that allows you to kindle further to two more, bringing up the maximum number of Estus Flask charges to twenty.

Humanity also has other uses, such as being the currency of a couple of the covenants, powering up certain kinds of weapons, and failing all that, being a pretty darn good health restoration item (and, really, the only one you can use as an invader if you're not doing a Faith build).

Well I just now beat the first boss/mini boss so alot of this info is above my head but I do appreciate it.

How do I tell if Im in human form? Which is better, human form or hollow form?

Ridley327

Well I just now beat the first boss/mini boss so alot of this info is above my head but I do appreciate it.

How do I tell if Im in human form? Which is better, human form or hollow form?

Being human gives you a slight increase to your resistances, as well as the most important aspect: being able to summon phantoms. However, you're also susceptible to being invaded by other players, so you would have to watch out for them, as well as the normal enemies.

You can tell by the humanity icon in the upper lefthand corner; if it's white, even if you don't have any humanity points, you're human. If it's greyed out, you are currently hollow.

Haunted

You can also tell pretty easily by just looking at your model or face. >_>

Think of it this way: if you're playing as hollow your game is private, if you're playing as human you open up your lobby to invasions and co-op.

Just beat my first invader, haha.

What a tense battle. Took me like 3 minutes just to take him down, since I was afraid to be aggressive. Was just dancing around waiting for him to get impatient and make a mistake, which he did.

What a great feeling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man, Bed of Chaos is owning me.

I just want to hit things.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I had trouble with the second orb but I got it now.

That helps with the next part though. Now to avoid the flames.

Dresden

I've always wanted to make a Channeler guy complete with the trident. Do the dance when invading, or when cooping.

Invading New Londo, and then buffing the Darkwraiths there with the dance, would be fun.

Zeliard

Also I guess I am weird because I never had any problems in my first play through progressing other than wearing that ring for the four kings (I had gotten the ring, I just didn't know to use it).

Those times when you get summoned for Four Kings and the host doesn't know about the ring are quite a hoot.

*bow*

*bow*

*jump*

"Summoner has died, returning to your world."

KSai

I once read from someone else that if you attack Gwynevere without getting the Lordvessel, the Lordvessel will be in that chest.

Judging by PTDE content, whatever game From does next in the Souls lineage will be outstanding.

Kalameet
was a fucking monster, probably took me 20-25 tries. By the end of that fight, I respected that boss and was kind of sorry to see him go. Luckily, the praise from
Hawkeye Pierce Gough - baddest motherfucker in the game -
cheered me right back up.

Currently getting crapped on by
Manus
, mainly his dark magic and my seeming inability to distinguish his
"rain down dark shit" tell from his "volley of dark shit" tell
. Loving these fights though.

Daante

Bought it yesterday evening on steam, together with installing Durantes fix.

Running great so far on my 3570k and 7850. Game looks great now and seems to run stabile aswell :)

Rolled a Pyromancer, havent decided yet if i go melee or magic this time. My first time with the game on the PS3 i ran with a Pyro aswell, but it was a heavy strenght/dex build together with maxed out Pyromancy witch i thought worked well.

Is magic worth getting into?

Sullichin

Uploaded the first part of my naked deprived playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrxD2rchO8

Rules:
Start as deprived, no leveling (SL6, all stats 11)
No armor.
Only use Club & plank shield
Only upgrade weapon along normal path (I'll have a Club +15, no lightning/fire etc). Weapon resins are allowed though.
No Pyromancy/sorcery/miracles
No summoning

In the first part I stop playing after I act a fool in the gargoyles fight. I also have the second video done waiting to upload where I ring the bells. I didn't do any commentary or anything, it's just gameplay footage.

Ruuppa

Judging by PTDE content, whatever game From does next in the Souls lineage will be outstanding.

Kalameet
was a fucking monster, probably took me 20-25 tries. By the end of that fight, I respected that boss and was kind of sorry to see him go. Luckily, the praise from
Hawkeye Pierce Gough - baddest motherfucker in the game -
cheered me right back up.

Currently getting crapped on by
Manus
, mainly his dark magic and my seeming inability to distinguish his
"rain down dark shit" tell from his "volley of dark shit" tell
. Loving these fights though.
If his spells are giving you problems, you should use the Silver Pendant. You can grab that from
the Township behind a hidden door that only opens if you use a lightsource on it(Lantern, Light -spell, Maggot).

NBtoaster

Quelaags Furysword feels so good to swing. Been demolishing NG+ with it. Was going to get Strength to 50 but might as well bump up Dex because I really like fast and light weapons.

Strength has fun and novelty weapons but they're sooo slooow...

Top Bottom