• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Uploaded the first part of my naked deprived playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrxD2rchO8

Rules:
Start as deprived, no leveling (SL6, all stats 11)
No armor.
Only use Club & plank shield
Only upgrade weapon along normal path (I'll have a Club +15, no lightning/fire etc). Weapon resins are allowed though.
No Pyromancy/sorcery/miracles
No summoning

In the first part I stop playing after I act a fool in the gargoyles fight. I also have the second video done waiting to upload where I ring the bells. I didn't do any commentary or anything, it's just gameplay footage.

Sweet, looking forward to watching this series.

Thrakier

Any idea why I can't upgrade my Falchion any furhter? I brought it to +6 but now it doesn't show up anymore, although I should have the items...

Finalow

data2012-09-2202-02-2fnizk.png
well at least you get summoned! I don't.

Totakeke

DLC boss help?

Manus's magic attack where he shoots projectiles directly at you pretty much kills me immediately if I'm too close. There's not much time to react to use the pendant or run either. So what's the deal? I've already got killed by this attack 3 times when he's down to less than 20% hp. I can't exactly just keep away either.

Thrakier

Well if you're sure the item is +6 then you should be able to level it up. Are you sure you have the +10 ember?

I have several items which state "+10" and also I could level my great axe from +5 to +6 and it needs the same item like the falchion to level it up, doesnt it?

Zaventem

DLC boss help?

Manus's magic attack where he shoots projectiles directly at you pretty much kills me immediately if I'm too close. There's not much time to react to use the pendant or run either. So what's the deal? I've already got killed by this attack 3 times when he's down to less than 20% hp. I can't exactly just keep away either.

You can dodge it but you have to keep side rolling when you see the animation and the pendant has a cast time faster than WotG,so you're getting caught off guard.All his attacks can be dodged.It took me a while to figure out how to dodge the one that circles the whole area.

Online in PC version is so much garbage. 80% of my summons/invasions are fail. Looks like ill be buying the ps3 dlc when it comes out, knew i should have just waited.

Raxus

Online in PC version is so much garbage. 80% of my summons/invasions are fail. Looks like ill be buying the ps3 dlc when it comes out, knew i should have just waited.

I dunno how it was for the PS3 but dark souls on the 360 was just as annoying pre-patch as I remember.

EasyMode

Can we blame P2P matchmaking on Namco Bananas being cheapskates? Servers were infinitely better in Demon's Souls, failed summons were such a rarity.

BTW, if you haven't forwarded these ports, doing so may help a little:

53, TCP & UDP
80, TCP
88, UDP
443, TCP
3074, TCP & UDP

Edit: Actually, see the link Hakkuei posted since it's much more detailed.

The problem is that both the host and the summonee/invader need to have these ports accessible. I think another problem is lobbies. You may find yourself in one that's sparsely populated or with few people in the same area as you. Maybe someone will patch the netcode someday allowing us to connect to a specific lobby without a player cap.

Tilian

Banned
Does anybody consider the shrug gesture a taunt at the beginning of a duel? Since he shrugs again when beating me I figured both were taunts. But when I refuse to bow at the start he sends a message about my etiquette (I always bow before and after except with jerks). He says the shrug is a greet, and I tell him no.

Is the shrug that ambiguous? I like to take dueling etiquette seriously.

Does anybody consider the shrug gesture a taunt at the beginning of a duel? Since he shrugs again when beating me I figured both were taunts. But when I refuse to bow at the start he sends a message about my etiquette (I always bow before and after except with jerks). He says the shrug is a greet, and I tell him no.

Is the shrug that ambiguous? I like to take dueling etiquette seriously.

The shrug is most definitely not a greeting.

Best taunt is 'What is it', anyway.

Now that I have a job again (woohoo!) I am seriously considering finally investing in a good gaming PC, just for this game. I played it on consoles and it was my GOTY last year bar none which is high praise indeed considering Zelda amongst other things but the visuals and new content here are just like unnggghh

mxgt

Banned
has anyone encountered another player being completely invisible? game bug or hack?

I got invaded in dark anor londo by a guy, I spent 15 mins looking for him until I got bored, stood outside and told him to come meet me

I'm standing there and waiting and suddenly I get backstabbed by absolutely nothing taking away 3/4's of my health. So I lock on and i'm greeted with a completely invisible player.

Hilariously, I still kill him by spamming wrath of the gods and then luckily finishing him off with an estoc stab while turtling behind my shield because I can't see the fucking guy.

Naturally I mock him in messages for hacking and still losing, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

mxgt

Banned
he probably stacked hidden body and fog ring? idk

Naw, can still see the person. Plus if that worked everyone would use it.

This guy was completely invisible, I forgot to take a screenshot but it was like I was locked onto mid air.

I encountered something like that before but with a summoned player. I first got summoned to help someone else who had also summoned this other guy who was completely invisible. So that ends and he defeats the boss and I still haven't defeated the area boss myself and I notice the invisible guy has put up another summon sign, I summon him and it turns out he's perfectly visible this time.

I think it's a bug.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, dark souls seems unwilling to sign into GFWL. Is this a problem on my end or theirs?

I got kicked off last night and since then I haven't been able to sign on.

EDIT: Seems to be a time warner problem.

EasyMode

I just killed
Ingward
in New Londo and now I feel like a bad person :(

Then karma strikes a minute later and I get booted to the menu by GFWL for no apparent reason.

Only took me 3 hours to get my chaos blade and defeat S&O from new game. so ready for the new content!!!! though im only level 30. prob going to get owned

The matchmaking in this game is weird, or whatever matchmaking there is.

I'm SL 15 and got invaded by some guy that was semi-invisible and I could only do 2 damage to, and he wouldn't just kill me. So I was stuck in that area and couldn't progress at all. :(

Had to quit out. Or is there anything else I could have done?

The matchmaking in this game is weird, or whatever matchmaking there is.

I'm SL 15 and got invaded by some guy that was semi-invisible and I could only do 2 damage to, and he wouldn't just kill me. So I was stuck in that area and couldn't progress at all. :(

Had to quit out. Or is there anything else I could have done?

Usually there are ways to suicide, unless the area was completely clear and there's nowhere to jump.

Nekrono

Guys what would be a good build for a player that has never beaten Dark Souls and is about to start his first playthrough?

I went a lot of points intro strenght to wield Zweihander but ended up not liking it at all since it's too heavy and the swings are too slow and from what I understand strenght weapons are like that.

gogogow

Fucking bonfire in sens fortress who is supposed to find that?

In Dark/Demon's Souls, when it looks like you can drop down, always check it out.

Rotating stair case, bookshelf treasure chest, doing it the easy way isn't working :(
I think I succeeded once, but I missed by a inch and fell to my death. After that I tried like 50 times, but my character only stands on the other side...... I think they semi fixed it. I gave up and finally accessed the new content.

epmode

I didn't notice the Sen's Fortress bonfire even after going through the game a second time on PC. That's after I already saw it on PS3.

Honestly, the game is designed around using player-written runes to find some secrets. I have no problems with that.

Top Bottom