• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Had an intriguing (and my first!) PvP experience.

I go to Sen's Fortress and I'm rarely a human because I always magically end up getting killed two seconds after spending a damn Humanity on it, but this time I reverse my hollowing because I'm about to fight the boss and I want to summon Knight Tarkus. I go human and I'm climbing the tower and when I get to the point where the sniper crossbow dude at the top of the tower is, I'm getting a message I'm being invaded. "OH SHI-" I think but I have a card up my sleeve. I dash to the tower of where Tarkus' summon sign is and activate it praying that the invader doesn't jump me before Tarkus gets here. Luckily he doesn't, and I start making my way backward toward the bonfire so I can give myself more fighting room.

Well, shit. The invader's right on the really narrow walkway right outside the tower. I let Tarkus go ahead of me because I want to see what this dude's gonna do (He's got a black cloak and that Scythe you get in the Catacombs). Tarkus derps and just falls off the walkway before he can swing.

Nice. I go up to him with my shield drawn but he kicks me and I start falling. "Welp, that's it", I think, since I was sure he kicked me to the inside of the fortress where I'm gonna fall to my death. Except I don't, I fall to the roof and take a tiny amount of damage. And Tarkus is right there too! Hooray!

The dude is relentless. Not two seconds after I realize I'm still alive he drops his scythe down on my to try to hit me, except my shield is already up and I start retreating while Tarkus swings his huge sword and makes the invader take massive damage. I run forward and he swings his scythe at me with me taking zero damage. Awesome. I can tank this dude. Except I mis-time my swing at him and he takes a clean 75% off my HP in one hit. Ouch. I'm falling behind to try to get Tarkus to distract him so I can recover, but the fight was cut short because as I'm taking a swig off the Estus, Tarkus completely annihilates him in two more hits. Wee! A bit anticlimactic since I didn't even have an instrumental role in the battle but it was still damn fun.

This is probably a pretty run of the mill experience for anyone who PvPs often shit was cray for me. My PvP experiences in Demon's Souls didn't have that many turn-table moments for me. Oh shit, I'm getting invaded! Wait, I can summon a powerful phantom! Oh shit, he fell! Oh shit, I fell, I'm dead! Oh shit, I'm not dead! Oh shit, he's on my ass! Oh shit, I take him! Oh shit, he almost killed me! Oh shit, Tarkus destroyed him! All in less than like a minute.

Did you want them to roll out the red carpet, or something? A casual swing of the camera is all it takes.

It's not like it's hidden behind an illusory wall.

The big problem with finding that bonfire is the giant hurling the firebombs from the roof. I never had time to casually swing the camera to discover the bonfire until I killed that thing.

Sullichin

I'll take that challenge. Do you use rings?
Yeah, I'm allowing rings.
Sweet, looking forward to watching this series.
Cool, thanks.

Part 2 is finally finished uploading..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d8vK2alOZ0&feature=youtu.be
I ring both bells. Takes 3 tries to kill Quelaag with my club +5 but I get annoyingly close on the second attempt.

The next installment has me dying in a variety of embarrassing ways as I start losing patience and should take a break. I actually get killed by Kirk. That will be up tomorrow probably, I hope nobody minds i'm posting the links here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well it's not integral, since the cage shortcut is just a a few steps away. I had help with the orange messages though.

I have played this game through many times now and I never knew there was a bonfire in Sen's Fortress. I figured the stage did not have one because the shortcut (cage key on cage -> undead parish) was more than enough.

Vaporak

Guys what would be a good build for a player that has never beaten Dark Souls and is about to start his first playthrough?

I went a lot of points intro strenght to wield Zweihander but ended up not liking it at all since it's too heavy and the swings are too slow and from what I understand strenght weapons are like that.

Build doesn't matter. Just experiment and play in a style you like.

I've got UPnP enabled and an Open nat, and online functionality fails 95% of the time. The online functionality is catastrophically bad in this game.

Cool, thanks.

I ring both bells. Takes 3 tries to kill Quelaag with my club +5 but I get annoyingly close on the second attempt.

The next installment has me dying in a variety of embarrassing ways as I start losing patience and should take a break. I actually get killed by Kirk. That will be up tomorrow probably, I hope nobody minds i'm posting the links here.

Yeah keep posting them, as long as your video's aren't riddled with ads, keep putting them up. We all sharing our adventures here, and video format is just another medium.

Plus, doing stuff like this inspires people to try too, and who knows maybe we can make our very own NeoGAF challenge.

mxgt

Banned

Cool, thanks.

I'm currently up to Capra

Haven't recorded anything yet, probably will at the later bosses.

I imagine O&S are gonna be a whole lot of dying.

Haly

The...cage shortcut? :-'
Around the roof area there was a room with 2 cages. With the cage key, you can ride one of them down to the first guillotine bridge, and back up as well. From the Bonfire above Andrei, it is only a minute's walk ;3

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
SL70 having some trouble with the 4 kings. I can't summon Beatrice, cuz I didn't get her for the butterfly...can anyone help a brother out?

Ridley327

Around the roof area there was a room with 2 cages. With the cage key, you can ride one of them down to the first guillotine bridge, and back up as well. From the Bonfire above Andrei, it is only a minute's walk ;3

It's funny that the bonfire in Sen's Fortress keeps tripping people up, considering the embarrassment of secrets in that area that are waaaaaaay less obvious (the shortcut,
Big Hat Logan's cage, the merchant by the bonfire, being able to kill the Giant that opened the doors
, and so much more!).

It's funny that the bonfire in Sen's Fortress keeps tripping people up, considering the embarrassment of secrets in that area that are waaaaaaay less obvious (the shortcut,
Big Hat Logan's cage, the merchant by the bonfire, being able to kill the Giant that opened the doors
, and so much more!).

Speaking of that last one, I never knew it existed until this week when I was exploring Sen's, and climbed that ladder, and was like "WTF, this wall just doesn't look right", so I hit it and was rewarded with that little secret.

And the item-find ring you get there, the crossbow, and the little bit with the Siegmeyer, yeah, Sen's is loaded with secrets.

Dresden

Man, those Assassins before the Capra demon are eating my lunch.

Is there any trick to dealing with them, or is it just a 'learn to play better' thing?

Keep them in front of you, bash them up. The backstab move (and the obvious riposte they set up) are the only things you need to watch out for.

Thrakier

Yeah, did it. I'm now at Anor Londo...

Ridley327

Speaking of that last one, I never knew it existed until this week when I was exploring Sen's, and climbed that ladder, and was like "WTF, this wall just doesn't look right", so I hit it and was rewarded with that little secret.

And the item-find ring you get there, the crossbow, and the little bit with the Siegmeyer, yeah, Sen's is loaded with secrets.

Even with one of the easiest bosses in the whole game, Sen's Fortress is easily my favorite area of the game. It's old-school Castlevania in the best kind of way.

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh, so I reached the end of the Painted World and now I don't know what to do. I didn't expect
to find a nice lady willing to ask nicely for me to go back... I'd feel bad about killing her :(

Haunted

Huh, so I reached the end of the Painted World and now I don't know what to do. I didn't expect
to find a nice lady willing to ask nicely for me to go back... I'd feel bad about killing her :(
Where's the problem? Seems like you've already made your choice.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I think I'll leave my asshole run for NG+, like I did in Demon's.

What's with the sleeping poison dragon in the Painting World, anyways? Just behind the blood shield, can't get it to move.

Haly

Yeah, I think I'll leave my asshole run for NG+, like I did in Demon's.

What's with the sleeping poison dragon in the Painting World, anyways? Just behind the blood shield, can't get it to move.
Forward + R2 attack should move it.

Ridley327

Figuring out how to get the dragon butt to move was more challenging than fighting the rest of him.

Poor Undead Dragon; such a cool design (and a fantastic intro in the Painted World, at that), and all he really does is barf poison at you in three conveniently avoided directions.

Totakeke

Finally finished the DLC. Not using the
silver pendant
made it much more easier than relying on it.

Is it only my 360 controller that sucks or is the d-pad just far too easy to mistakenly press the wrong diagonal or two of them together?

Grief.exe

Finally finished the DLC. Not using the
silver pendant
made it much more easier than relying on it.

Is it only my 360 controller that sucks or is the d-pad just far too easy to mistakenly press the wrong diagonal or two of them together?

The 360 controller is notorious for how bad its D Pad is. I can't believe they designed it like they did.

Sullichin

I'm currently up to Capra

Haven't recorded anything yet, probably will at the later bosses.

I imagine O&S are gonna be a whole lot of dying.

Yea I'm gonna be embarrassed to record dying to O&S over and over. This will be a harder run than an otherwised uninhibited SL1 run because of no armor, elemental weapons, or pyro. Sl6 but only 1 more VIT point than a SL1 character, and less STR..

Ridley327

Speaking of those bastards, I don't suppose there's anyone around SL120 who would be willing to help me out with getting rid of them around midnight EST?

NBtoaster

Figuring out how to get the dragon butt to move was more challenging than fighting the rest of him.

Poor Undead Dragon; such a cool design (and a fantastic intro in the Painted World, at that), and all he really does is barf poison at you in three conveniently avoided directions.

You're supposed to go under the dragon butt, it's not supposed to move. In the underground area theres a wheel to turn that opens the gate.

Grief.exe

Speaking of those bastards, I don't suppose there's anyone around SL120 who would be willing to help me out with getting rid of them around midnight EST?

I could probably help. I'm at 93 right now but want to pump my level up to 100 for PvP (I have more than enough souls, I've been saving this whole play through). I probably won't be around though since I'm going out.

I wrote a guide a couple pages back with advice and videos that should make it easy. I beat them at sl60 or 70 this ng+ play through on my third try I think.

Sullichin

My gamertag is the same as my handle here. Shoot me a message if you see me online, I might be playing another character but I have a SL100.. I think.

McHuj

I've been doing the SL1 run over the past 4 days. Tonight I got to 4 Kings and said "fuck it" after dying embarrassingly fast.

It took me a while to get through it. Basically Crown of Dusk + Dragon Crest Ring+Ascended PyroMancy Flame with Greater Fireball and Greater Combustion.

Don't summon the Witch as they'll get more HP. My strategery that worked for this fight was
2 Greater Fireballs and finish of the King with my Axe +5 lightning Axe for the first two kings
4 Greater Combustions for the last two.

That setup made Seath and Nito embarrassingly easy.

EasyMode

It took me a while to get through it. Basically Crown of Dusk + Dragon Crest Ring+Ascended PyroMancy Flame with Greater Fireball and Greater Combustion.

Don't summon the Witch as they'll get more HP. My strategery that worked for this fight was
2 Greater Fireballs and finish of the King with my Axe +5 lightning Axe for the first two kings
4 Greater Combustions for the last two.

That setup made Seath and Nito embarrassingly easy.

Appreciate the advice, but unfortunately I've set my mind on melee only for this run. I'm using the +5 Lightning Reinforced Club which should do the job. My problem is that I've never bothered learning their tells, so I'm getting hit and wasting time healing, which leads to me getting tag-teamed when his buddy shows up.

EasyMode

SL1 and melee only? And your name is EasyMode???

I used to play mostly easy games and often picked easy difficulty, but then the soul crack got me. I'm not even sure why I bought Demon's Souls initially, I didn't read or know anything about it. But I saw some pictures and I thought it looked neat... and it was!

PS. The ring of favour and protection helps a lot here. I wouldn't consider trying without it.

Hypron

SL1 and melee only? And your name is EasyMode???

It's perfectly doable and not that hard, even with the nerf elemental weapons are still very powerful (I played through it with 2 battle axes, a lightning and a fire one, that covered pretty much every possible situation), and with the ring of favour and protections very few bosses can kill you in 1 hit in NG, which is your main worry when you have low health.

For me finishing the game SL1 was heaps easier than playing through it the first time: since you already know how the game works, you know where you need to go and what you need to do to get powerful weapons. You also know the bosses' weaknesses, and since you've already beaten them at least once you have at least 1 working strategy for each one up your sleeve.

Ridley327

Eh the only thing you missed by taking the dragon butt road was a tower knight.

Oh, he was still there, waiting at the bottom.

Does Dark Souls place higher priority on invasions than co-op? Sullichin was dropping his summon sign like it was hot, but it never showed up in my game. He invaded me to test our connection, and it worked right away. Or is that just a fault of the netcode?

Oh man, online is so damn fun.

I get in the Painted World and decide to lay down my summon sign even though I've never played through the level before. It's damn fun to go into another person's world and run through the area for the first time. So many OH SHI- moments and you and the partner discovering secrets, etc. A couple of invaders randomly spiced things up too. I died, then he died, but I rushed back to the bonfire and he summed me all three times until we finally killed the boss there. :p

Top Bottom