• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

rizz

Neo Member
One of my favorite things to do in the game is to find a really high ground and take in the vista. And try to figure out the places I've been to.

zkylon

zkylewd
Invading as a Forest Covenanter is a lot less fun that I hoped it'd be. Fighting is alright but they can heal and you can't and you can't even interrupt their healing, and half the times you get lagstabbed by full Havel set people that just back into a corner and spam parry. Really, unlike co-op, the PVP in this game is very dull and I don't think I'll do it again.

My secret technique so far is using toxic cloud so I can kill them bit by bit lol

Jintor

Invading as a Forest Covenanter is a lot less fun that I hoped it'd be. Fighting is alright but they can heal and you can't and you can't even interrupt their healing, and half the times you get lagstabbed by full Havel set people that just back into a corner and spam parry. Really, unlike co-op, the PVP in this game is very dull and I don't think I'll do it again.

My secret technique so far is using toxic cloud so I can kill them bit by bit lol

People just farm forest covenanters as far as I can tell. The only time it was any fun to me was when I was fighting some guy who was wandering around with 600k souls on him for some reason I could fathom. He rolled off a cliff by accident mid-fight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You need a different kind of weapon. With my lifehunt scythe, if they stop in front of me to heal its basically game over for them.

A good backstab weapon works too.

zkylon

zkylewd
People just farm forest covenanters as far as I can tell. The only time it was any fun to me was when I was fighting some guy who was wandering around with 600k souls on him for some reason I could fathom. He rolled off a cliff by accident mid-fight.
Seems so, I'm pretty disappointed :/

You need a different kind of weapon. With my lifehunt scythe, if they stop in front of me to heal its basically game over for them.

A good backstab weapon works too.
For some reason backstabs won't ever register (they did when I was invaded just running in human form) but it's true I could use a better weapon. Right now I don't like the ones I have...

This game couldnt be any more cryptic even if it tried.

I joined the foresr covenant, than went to the bonfire, i go back to the forest and see the crazy assassins have respawned again so I rush and 1 hit kill one guy and lo and behold I have now betrayed the covenant >_>

gogogow

I joined the foresr covenant, than went to the bonfire, i go back to the forest and see the crazy assassins have respawned again so I rush and 1 hit kill one guy and lo and behold I have now betrayed the covenant >_>

Why would you kill one of your own? You joined them, they are like your brothers.

7threst

You shouldn't have done that....

NBtoaster

Lost about 30 humanity on O+S in NG+ (no useful magic, just melee). All my summons failed, so i had to rely on Solaire for assistance. I often couldn't even get to him because of the ridiculously tough giant guards. And when I did get into the fight, I had to race solaire to kill the right guy first. And then he always died immediately in the second part.

I don't want to think about Four Kings NG+ without magic..

gogogow

Well they were less than friendly the first time i killed them all so i was afraid of them

Is there any way to fix it?

Yes, you can absolve your sins by paying (a shitload of) souls to Oswald of Carim. It's that guy in the tower after you defeated the twin Gargoyles. To see if you have sinned or not, you can buy the Book of the Guilty from the same guy for 1000 souls.

Thrakier

Even the level design is cryptic as hell. I would've never found the bridge to the church in the Londo. Never ever. Even when I knew that here is the place where it needs to go on.

gogogow

Even the level design is cryptic as hell. I would've never found the bridge to the church in the Londo. Never ever. Even when I knew that here is the place where it needs to go on.

You mean through the broken window? Yep, that is the biggest bullshit, now way would I know where to go without reading a guide. Haha, I think Anor Londo has the most bullshit stuff going on, the broken window and those two archers, ugh.....

You mean through the broken window? Yep, that is the biggest bullshit, now way would I know where to go without reading a guide. Haha, I think Anor Londo has the most bullshit stuff going on, the broken window and those two archers, ugh.....

I don't see how you could miss it... it is literally the only way you can go.

gogogow

I don't see how you could miss it... it is literally the only way you can go.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about that part after defeating the Gargoyle. You first have to drop down a bit and walk on the roof tiles. Not just very easy to miss, but just plain not seeing it!

antitrop

The two archers in Anor Londo is the worst designed part of the entire game.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about that part after defeating the Gargoyle. You first have to drop down a bit and walk on the roof tiles. Not just very easy to miss, but just plain not seeing it!

Well I think if your exploring around you will probably drop down (there is a treasure chest around there as well) and then the path to the window is basically unmissable.

Can someone explain what their problem is with the two archers?

Anteater

Anor Londo was great, it was pretty easy to explore compared to sen's fortress before it, I did run around in circles for a bit before I find the way to the window.

Now tomb of the giants without
a lantern
, that's really something.

gogogow

Well I think if your exploring around you will probably drop down (there is a treasure chest around there as well) and then the path to the window is basically unmissable.

Can someone explain what their problem is with the two archers?

ONLY if you know that you CAN drop down on those tiny tiles, then yes, the window is obviously unmissable.

And about the two archers:

That was just straight up cheap. Not only are there two of them, but they are standing on the opposite sides of each other. So when you're facing one, you can't see the other, but of course they are both shooting "rockets" at you and you have to evade the one which is facing your back. And when you get hit, you will most likely fall to your're death, even if you block you most likely slide off the edge and also fall to your death. You then have to run all the way back and will probably not be your only time doing that.

I seriously don't remember any other parts in the game, just navigating through a level (except for a certain boss) that's this annoying and cheap.

If you position your body to be facing diagonally to the wall (back to the wall but shield angled enough to block the arrow) the arrows will never knock you off the platform. The archer on the right has a tendency to also jump off the building lol.

Thrakier

Come on now...I like the game but that's a bit overly defensive. I consider those things as part of the "community experience". No way in hell I could finish this game without GAF and YouTube, that's just how it is. I don't think From Software really considers that, they are just lucky that their gamedesign and online communities blend very well. I don't even believe that they fully understand it what's going on with their Souls games. Maybe. I don't know.

wutwutwut

That was just straight up cheap. Not only are there two of them, but they are standing on the opposite sides of each other. So when you're facing one, you can't see the other, but of course they are both shooting "rockets" at you and you have to evade the one which is facing your back. And when you get hit, you will most likely fall to your're death, even if you block you most likely slide off the edge and also fall to your death. You then have to run all the way back and will probably not be your only time doing that.

I seriously don't remember any other parts in the game, just navigating through a level (except for a certain boss) that's this annoying and cheap.
I'm really confused, since the archers were really simple for me to deal with. I ran to the right archer first, and the left archer's arrows were blocked by a pillar while I took care of him (her?). Then I could take care of the left archer at my leisure. Are there certain conditions under which that happens?

Ridley327

Come on now...I like the game but that's a bit overly defensive. I consider those things as part of the "community experience". No way in hell I could finish this game without GAF and YouTube, that's just how it is. I don't think From Software really considers that, they are just lucky that their gamedesign and online communities blend very well. I don't even believe that they fully understand it what's going on with their Souls games. Maybe. I don't know.

They give enough visual cues so that you don't need to be online to get hints; it's just a matter of close observation.

Sullichin

Wtf you can seriously parry arrows?

And lol @ about yet another discussion re: AL archers. There were so many parts that were more difficult than that my first playthrough. Interesting that so many people seem to get stuck here. Just run. Roll through the arrow. Knock the knight off the ledge. Done. I'm sure now that I'm saying this I'll die on the archers when I record it on the playthrough I'm doing.

The Anor Londo archers are another example of thinking something in Dark Souls is impossible until you play the game enough times and realize it isn't.

Even if I might screw up once or twice on some playthroughs, I can get through the archers without even using a shield.

Tilian

Banned
I summoned a guy and he dropped me 50 divine blessings. How is that possible? I've only ever seen a few in multiple playrhroughs. Was that a cheat or legit?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought the archers were pretty easy. Once you get to the end of the ramp, the archer on the left is being blocked by the column so it's just one archer. Then it's just a matter of dodging/blocking the other archer and getting close enough so he goes melee.

gogogow

The Anor Londo archers are another example of thinking something in Dark Souls is impossible until you play the game enough times and realize it isn't.

Even if I might screw up once or twice on some playthroughs, I can get through the archers without even using a shield.

It's actually better when NOT using a shield and probably easier. Just roll, roll, roll.

arit

I summoned a guy and he dropped me 50 divine blessings. How is that possible? I've only ever seen a few in multiple playrhroughs. Was that a cheat or legit?

They can be bought later on and once you stop leveling and have your gear you have enough disposable income to be kind.

They give enough visual cues so that you don't need to be online to get hints; it's just a matter of close observation.

There's no way to tell that you can walk on the roof tiles, though. They're curved in a way that it's very easy to believe that you'll just slide off them and into your death. There are plenty of other instances in the game where you have slightly curved things that the designers just arbitrarily chose not to let you walk on them.

The only reason I knew where to go is because people had written "GO HERE", and even then I thought I was doing some weirdass shortcut. I didn't know that's actually the only way to progress.

ArjanN

I thought the archers were pretty easy. Once you get to the end of the ramp, the archer on the left is being blocked by the column so it's just one archer. Then it's just a matter of dodging/blocking the other archer and getting close enough so he goes melee.

This. If you just run they won't even hit you until you're on same ledge as them, and by then one of them can't hit you any more.

The biggest diffuculty is that if you do fall, you'll have to run past the giant knights and fight a bunch of demons again, but I think the Capra demon is much cheaper.

Ridley327

There's no way to tell that you can walk on the roof tiles, though. They're curved in a way that it's very easy to believe that you'll just slide off them and into your death. There are plenty of other instances in the game where you have slightly curved things that the designers just arbitrarily chose not to let you walk on them.

The only reason I knew where to go is because people had written "GO HERE", and even then I thought I was doing some weirdass shortcut. I didn't know that's actually the only way to progress.

You can see the open door from the ground level, and there's an elevated surface that conveniently goes high enough to reach it. It's just simple logic, really.

Anteater

there were places where you could drop/roll off in undead burg, fireshrine and stuff so it when I got to anor londo it kind of makes sense

but this is coming from someone who fell and died like 500 times in this game, i fell to my death more than anything

Top Bottom