• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

sp;eaking of falling to one's death, allow me to vent for a sec here:

holy crap... I love this game but SCREW THIS GAME...

Trying to exit Blighttown takin the elevator up and I have died probably 20 times, most of which are due to the goddamn terrible floor. I'm not sure why any thin path in this area has at least one or 2 "steps" that my guy walks into and wont walk up, instead sliding off the edge of these pathways...

Lost the 30 K souls I had with me after clearing this area and it's boss... and now I just lost the 8 K I had made trying to get the F out of there.

UGH!!!!

ok thanks, I'm taking a couple days off.
/vent

ElFly

The Anor Londo archers are another example of thinking something in Dark Souls is impossible until you play the game enough times and realize it isn't.

Even if I might screw up once or twice on some playthroughs, I can get through the archers without even using a shield.

I passed them on my first try this run.

Of course I ran like hell from the first bonfire, didn't kill anything, had to heal in the tower just before them cause a gargoyle electrolanced me from behind, and then run to the one on the left. He suicided himself and I proceeded to the bonfire.

Feels good, man.

LiK

got back right into the game today. bought it last night and added the Durante mod.

so far i've been taking out the bosses first try. they no longer intimidate me from the console days. kept dying to grunts from being pushed off tho... embarrassing

Durante

I love this game so much.

I just met
Dusk of Oolacile
for the first time, and now I finally got some new spells for my caster after 12 hours or so.
Chameleon
is hilarious.

My only problem now is that her armor set sucks, but aesthetics demand that I wear it (and be human) at all times.

Thrakier

MOtherfuck Ornstein and Smough I will have fun with those two...

...two more questions:

1) what does it mean when "my black orb is pusling" or somewhat like that. I got a message which said that.

2) Falchion +10, should I upgrade it to a lighting falchion with less damage?

Clevinger

MOtherfuck Ornstein and Smough I will have fun with those two...

...two more questions:

1) what does it mean when "my black orb is pusling" or somewhat like that. I got a message which said that.

You can use the item in your inventory (the black orb, or whatever it's called) when it says that (you have to be in that specific area) to teleport into another world and go fight Lautrec, the guy in gold armor who killed the Firelink Shrine lady who can't speak. You then can take her soul back to her and revive her.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

1)
You can use the black orb item to invade lautrec's world and pay him back.

You can't use Estuses in there though, so either pack a lot of humanity, healing spells or some kind of long range gameplan.

2) Depends on how much you're going to sink into DEX.

I killed Nito and now all that's left is the final boss. Not sure if I want to take him on yet or maybe dick around.

zkylon

zkylewd
I love this game so much.

I just met
Dusk of Oolacile
for the first time, and now I finally got some new spells for my caster after 12 hours or so.
Chameleon
is hilarious.

My only problem now is that her armor set sucks, but aesthetics demand that I wear it (and be human) at all times.
You killed her? You monster.

HiiiLife

Urgent question GAF. I'm picking up a copy with my brother today for the PS3. But I hear the coop is a little sketchy because you're never on the same server. Is this true? We are playing in the same household so that should eliminate any problems of being on different servers correct?

I've asked this before a few weeks ago but I can't recall what you guys said and would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks GAF.

Zeliard

Parrying deflects all knockback with every type of physical attack, including ones you can't fully parry.

It's typically better to just dodge-roll out of the way, but in cases where you can't or where it would be more dangerous to, parrying can be useful.

Ridley327

Urgent question GAF. I'm picking up a copy with my brother today for the PS3. But I hear the coop is a little sketchy because you're never on the same server. Is this true? We are playing in the same household so that should eliminate any problems of being on different servers correct?

I've asked this before a few weeks ago but I can't recall what you guys said and would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks GAF.

Well, it's not so much as you're not on the same server as there is no server, as the game relies on p2p connections. The normal problems with p2p gaming apply to this game.

HiiiLife

Well, it's not so much as you're not on the same server as there is no server, as the game relies on p2p connections. The normal problems with p2p gaming apply to this game.

Ah I see. So what are the chances of us happening problems connecting? Like I said we are on the same Internet router. Sorry for the noob questions guys.

Ridley327

Ah I see. So what are the chances of us happening problems connecting? Like I said we are on the same Internet router. Sorry for the noob questions guys.

I honestly don't know what the situation is on the consoles, but the PC version seems to hate co-op for some reason. Invasions are another story.

Jintor

Currently wandering around the Demon Ruins. I'm not in the mood to really play it 24/7 anymore but it's nice that I can pop in and set myself a goal of 'the next bonfire' and just hack away at it until I'm there.

What's a good axe? I've got a +15 battle axe but on reflection that probably wasn't the wisest investment. It needs to be light though :T

Durante

How is PC online playing out? Hacked+broken or holding up?
I've been invaded 9 times or so, and I think at most 1 of those was a cheater. I killed 4 of them, and the other 4 seemed on the level.

I've also played coop with a friend for at least 15 hours or so. You have to be prepared to spend 15-20 minutes to get going, but as soon as you established a connection once reconnecting is easy.

Coop with strangers is fun as well, but only 1 out of 3 or 4 summoning attempts seems to work.

Jintor

It's okay where I am, but I don't know to what extent regionality comes into it. I've never run into a hacker though. AU/Pacific.

Eusis

I suspect the nature of online helps counterbalance it, there may be serious problems in the early game, but I doubt many will actively set themselves up to be invading capable on, say, most level 50 or level 100 players. I did alt+F4 on a blatant cheater though.

Thrakier

1)
You can use the black orb item to invade lautrec's world and pay him back.

You can't use Estuses in there though, so either pack a lot of humanity, healing spells or some kind of long range gameplan.

2) Depends on how much you're going to sink into DEX.

I killed Nito and now all that's left is the final boss. Not sure if I want to take him on yet or maybe dick around.

Uhm, could you elaborate on that?

Dresden

What's a good axe? I've got a +15 battle axe but on reflection that probably wasn't the wisest investment. It needs to be light though :T
Battle Axe isn't a bad weapon, really. Handaxe has a scimitar's moveset (meaning no stagger when whiffing) so it's a decent weapon. Black Knight Greataxe is for high-strength characters, great range and speed and damage.

Zaventem

http://www.game-over.com/reviews/pc/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition.html

Holy shit this "review" made me cringe hard.Is this what the majority of gamers think of Dark Souls? If you're wondering how i got linked to this nobody cares site, i wanted to see the reviews on PTD edition for PC and metacritic added this review.I've never seen a review of a game so bitter in my life.

I'm about to admit to something that, in many reader's minds, will serve to discredit my reviews: I don't finish the vast majority of games that I critique. Further, there are some few games where I don't even make it to the half way point. The reasons for this are various and sundry but all boil down to one indisputable fact; almost every game can be judged with a high degree of accuracy in a matter of minutes if you have enough gaming experience. Call it the game reviewer's "blink" ability. I didn't finish Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. I probably didn't even get half way into it. I'll explain why shortly, but rest assured, this game was easy to appraise, and not in a good way.

First let's get the obvious out of the way. If you don't own an Xbox 360 controller, don't buy this game; move along, there's nothing to see here. The mouse and keyboard controls are so ineptly implemented that I find it hard to believe that anyone at developer From Software even play-tested the damn thing. Needless to say, if you are porting a game from consoles and you can't even be bothered to perfect mouse and keyboard controls, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the experience.

After digging out my 360 controller from the box of "useless old console crap I never wanted to revisit" and re-learning how to use such an archaic and clumsy control system, I finally settled in for this self-styled hard-as-hell RPG. Character creation was pretty much the standard set up, letting you choose your sex, starting class and general look. The facial generation system is subpar, creating almost universally unappealing mugs, but fortunately (unfortunately?) that didn't matter much because, for some stupid reason, you play the game as a flesh-eaten zombie. Why? Well, that brings me to the next big complaint.

Dark Souls happens to be missing an important, if not central, component that all RPGs should have: context. This could include almost everything, from story, to dialogue, to continuity. Why am I a zombie instead of a human? Why am I tasked with ringing two distant bells? Who are these random people scattered around the environment? What the hell is going on and more important, why should I care? All of those questions, and many more, are either never answered, or answered cryptically with prophecy-talk nonsense. Context is what puts the "R" in Role Playing Game and in Dark Souls, you are most certainly not playing a role.

So then, what is this game? I thought long and hard on that question and I finally stumbled upon a decent, though not perfect, answer. Dark Souls is essentially a third-person, more complex version of Diablo (specifically the first game). What I mean by that is that it has almost no story, no meaningful dialogue and other than combat, leveling up and finding hidden loot, it has no real point. Once I realized this, the game became less conceptually frustrating, though no less boring. What remained infuriating was the combat and difficulty.

Depending on how you build your character, combat plays out in the usual melee/archery/magic trichotomy. I will give the game credit for one thing; the leveling system allows for a very elastic character building experience. You pick your class at the start, yes, but once you begin collecting souls (the game’s universal system for both experience and currency), you can easily give your warrior some magic or your rogue a giant shield; nothing is off limits or disadvantageous. However, outside of your character sheet, it’s entirely up to you to fight competently and, boy, does Dark Souls make that task hellish.

Most of the problem lies in the camera and targeting system. The camera is assigned to the right thumb stick (assuming you are using an Xbox controller) and since there is very little auto-tracking, you'll spend much of the game with both thumbs on the sticks. First off, coming from a mouse and keyboard background, it has never been more obvious how cumbersome and imprecise console controllers are. If nothing else, Dark Souls has made me love the fact that I'm a PC gamer all over again. Secondly, to fight effectively, you have to make use of the A, B, X and Y keys, which means forgoing camera controls while you drink potions or sprint, leaving you completely situationaly unaware. And for a game this merciless, not being able to quickly track swarms of enemies is unacceptable.

Speaking of mercilessness, let’s discuss that in detail, shall we? This game’s claim to fame is in its unforgiving, old school difficulty. At first glance, it’s true, the game is really hard and doesn’t hold your hand, especially during boss fights. But it’s one big deception for a few reasons. If you took this exact game, made mouse and keyboard functional (thus making the combat fun, rather than frustrating), and *gasp* added a manual save function, this would be just another third person action RPG, with very little unique about it except for how half-assed the setting and story are.

The reason people think this game is hard is that when a boss cheap-kills them (because the boss’s bounding box blocks the player into a corner of the level or stun-locks the player with unblockable flurry attacks), they have to run all the way back from the previous spawn point (bonfire), killing all the same enemies they just killed over again. Given that some bosses are very cheap and very far away from a bonfire, this adds up to some of the most wasteful playtime I’ve ever experienced in a game, especially since you may or may not be able to keep the souls (experience) of those in-between enemies you’ve repeatedly killed a thousand times. This game isn’t hard at all, it’s just ineptly designed. So while I may only be a third of the way in, my playtime is well past thirty hours.

Visually, the game is also pretty damn unimpressive. Everything is colored in dark, muted tones of gray, brown and black. The armor and weapons are adequately gleaming but the character models, both your own and those of the enemies, are bland and lifeless. Given that almost everything you fight is a zombie of one kind or another, maybe that's appropriate, but it sure isn't exciting to look at.

Finally, the multiplayer portion is a complete waste of time. At a bonfire, you can choose to spend a humanity point (a somewhat rare resource) to "reverse hollowing" (become human) and this opens the multiplayer portion of the game to you. The intention is that it's a double-edged sword, in that you get a higher loot drop rate and you can call on other players (and even some AI NPCs) to join your world to help you fight, while at the same time, other players can enter your world and hunt you down player-vs-player style.

Even just from that description, it's obvious that this is not true multiplayer. Instead, it's just a small taste of both co-op and pvp mulitplayer modes, given to you in a random, chaotic fashion. There's no microphone support and no keyboard chat box. You can either perform vague gestures (like cheering or pointing) or you can fight, that's it. So while the co-op, "help me kill a boss" option is pretty straightforward, the pvp is atrocious. When someone invades your world to fight you, all the doors fog over (meaning you are locked in a small area of the map) and you have to stop all forward progress and wait while some random dude loads into your game (it's not an instantaneous process). You then fight, for no reason, until one of you dies. Oh, and just to add insult to injury, the game doesn't care about level or gear, they just throw random battles together. So most times, the people who enjoy pvp gameplay (you know, immature douche bags that are super-leveled and decked out in the best gear) will sit in newbie areas and load in just to insta-kill you with one hit and then perform the laugh gesture. Yeah, good times.

When I see the sheer amount of positive reviews this game got from the console crowd, it just reinforces my elitist PC attitude. This Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is not only the worst console port I've ever played (and I play most of them), it's also one of the worst designed. I mean literally, this game is one step above my character having "lives" and when I run out of those, I'm told to jam quarters into my PC to continue playing. If this is what constitutes a "good console RPG", then I'll sleep soundly at night with the knowledge that I'm not missing a damn thing by not owning a PlayStation 3. I guess I'm alone in understanding this, but supposed difficulty is not a substitute for intelligent design. Dark Souls proves that.

Ridley327

Uhm, could you elaborate on that?
Certain weapons scale damage up based on one of the four main parameters that determine being able to use them. If you look at a weapon in detail, you'll notice letter rankings on the lower lefthand corner. They go from E to S, and the higher it is, the more of a bonus you'll receive.

Holy shit this "review" made me cringe hard.Is this what the majority of gamers think of Dark Souls? If you're wondering how i got linked to this nobody cares site, i wanted to see the reviews on PTD edition for PC and metacritic added this review.I've never seen a review of a game so bitter in my life.

After the Dishonored "some people NEED handholding or they're lost" quote, shitty reviews like this make much more sense.

Um...actually, those story questions are answered. You have to search, but they're there. That was a bad review.

Nearly everything in the game is elaborated on, to a much higher degree than most other modern games. A poster in here (I forget his name) pointed out there was even a lore reason for particular enemy locations.

The fact this sod claimed it was all out of context made it very clear he's the type of gamer who needs every single thing spoonfed to him.

antitrop

Nearly everything in the game is elaborated on, to a much higher degree than most other modern games. A poster in here (I forget his name) pointed out there was even a lore reason for particular enemy locations.

The fact this sod claimed it was all out of context made it very clear he's the type of gamer who needs every single thing spoonfed to him.
He's lazy.
He's just really fucking lazy.

He's probably the type of person who flies off the handle and flips out at even the most minor of inconveniences in his every day life.

Like the type of person standing in front of you in the line at a gas station checkout counter trying to buy some cigarettes who is visibly upset and frustrated that the 19 year old cashier has to open a bankroll of 50 pennies to give him the correct change back.

http://www.game-over.com/reviews/pc/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition.html

Hint, reviewer, play, read, listen and you'll fucking find out the answers to most questions in the game.

What a joke of a review, thanks for pointing it out!

Ridley327

Jesus @ that review. I've never seen someone so far up their own ass that they could stare at their own teeth until that last paragraph.

mrgone

Hey, turns out there's a pretty ridiculous geometry bug in The Great Hollow that makes a slight ridge on one of the branches casually insurmountable when you're trying to head back up to the top. Thanks, dudes. I didn't need all that humanity anyways. :((

edit: And I recovered everything after finding a weird solution to the the geometry problem in a wiki, and am still safely uncursed. Let's put this behind us, Dark Souls. I still love you.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Hey, turns out there's a pretty ridiculous geometry bug in The Great Hollow that makes a slight ridge on one of the branches casually insurmountable when you're trying to head back up to the top. Thanks, dudes. I didn't need all that humanity anyways. :((

And I recovered everything, found a weird solution to the the geometry problem in a wiki, and am still safely uncursed. Let's put this behind us, Dark Souls. I still love you.

I thought they had fixed this but it's been a while since I've been down there on either version of the game though.

Jesus @ that review. I've never seen someone so far up their own ass that they could stare at their own teeth until that last paragraph.

He gives all PC gamers a bad name.

I'm like dude, just own your shitty little opinions, don't say you're part of an "elite group" who most likely disagree with you completely.

Top Bottom