• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ArynCrinn

Banned
http://www.game-over.com/reviews/pc/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition.html

Holy shit this "review" made me cringe hard.Is this what the majority of gamers think of Dark Souls? If you're wondering how i got linked to this nobody cares site, i wanted to see the reviews on PTD edition for PC and metacritic added this review.I've never seen a review of a game so bitter in my life.

There is nothing more hopeless, irresponsible and depraved than a man in depths of a rage quit. :\

2AdEPT

Come on now...I like the game but that's a bit overly defensive. I consider those things as part of the "community experience". No way in hell I could finish this game without GAF and YouTube, that's just how it is. I don't think From Software really considers that, they are just lucky that their gamedesign and online communities blend very well. I don't even believe that they fully understand it what's going on with their Souls games. Maybe. I don't know.
FROM knows the community exists and promote it.....I am not liking the multiplayer right now, but their rogue ideas about how to create the mood for Demon's and then dark were tracked by me since 2009 and they have done an excellent job for the most part....they knew what they were going for and were successful with those that "get" it.
Quoting to see if I have any takers this evening.

your SL is too high...very few go over 100 anymore.

time to start a new character?

Grief.exe

The rolling R1 for the Large Club is amazing. Dead angles perfectly, and if someone has low poise it will automatically stagger, setting them up for a good combo.

I'm new to the PVP scene, well the game for that matter, but having a ton of fun tonight in Oolicile Township dueling.

I basically beat NG+ at SL60, and saved my souls from the whole playthrough. I used them all at once and pumped my level up to 100 for a great pvp build.

I have the Claymore, Man Serpent Great Sword, and Large Club all in my arsenel of PVP weapons. Maybe next playthrough I will upgrade the Demon Machete and Zwei as well.

I was thinking of trying BKGA since I read it was one of the top weapons on the console version, but apparently the R1 damage has been significantly nerfed in PTDE.

I still have this issue if anyone has any insight:

I'm having trouble opening up port 3074.

I set up a static IP for my computer.
Logged into router, went to port forwarding section
did 3074 UDP/TDP with my static IP

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

This still shows that 3074 is closed, any advice?

HiiiLife

I just got invaded by a guy who had double daggers that shocked and electrocuted me. And he had a fireball that killed me in one hit. He invaded three times in a row. Each time i didnt stand a chance. there's no way he's level 12. Smh. Terrible first play through..

Grief.exe

I just got invaded by a guy who had double daggers that shocked and electrocuted me. And he had a fireball that killed me in one hit. He invaded three times in a row. Each time i didnt stand a chance. there's no way he's level 12. Smh. Terrible first play through..

If you are level 12, then he can be up to about 24 or 25. Possible in this game to essentially beat the game at really low level and get some really powerful items, then come back and harrass low level newbies.

Ya its probably one of the most annoying parts of this game. I neve experienced it though. I have heard of people who do it hornorably though, don't get really high powered weapons and invade people at low levels, thats ok.

HiiiLife

If you are level 12, then he can be up to about 24 or 25. Possible in this game to essentially beat the game at really low level and get some really powerful items, then come back and harrass low level newbies.

Ya its probably one of the most annoying parts of this game. I neve experienced it though. I have heard of people who do it hornorably though, don't get really high powered weapons and invade people at low levels, thats ok.

I was trying to do co op with my brother. We beat Taurus Demon. We both leveled up to 12.
Then surprise.. Invaded me when I was solo. Tried to fight. Died. Invaded me again. Died. Managed to link up with my bro. We didn't stand a chance against him. And died. Lmao.

Annnnnd then he invaded my brothers world while he was a human and killed him. Smh terrible. Getting invaded by high players is not fun. Or being harassed by low players WITH high weapons they somehow acquired. Turned off the game right after that.

Grief.exe

I was trying to do co op with my brother. We beat Taurus Demon. We both leveled up to 12.
Then surprise.. Invaded me when I was solo. Tried to fight. Died. Invaded me again. Died. Managed to link up with my bro. We didn't stand a chance against him. And died. Lmao.

Annnnnd then he invaded my brothers world while he was a human and killed him. Smh terrible. Getting invaded by high players is not fun. Turned off the game right after that.

Click avoid in GFWL, use the black banishment crystal, or just straight up quit game when he connects.

Raxus

I'd be surprised if as far as Undead Parish or Depths.

People tend to pay way too much attention to troll reviews. I love how he mentions you only fight zombies and to the right is the chimera, dragon, etc. Not to mention the huge assortment of enemies you encounter once you reach blighttown. Zombies are only really prevalent taking the path to the parish and then you only see them on occasion.

For me the real Dark Souls starts at New Lando. Tough section, cool enemies, awesome bosses. Too bad so few are able to make it that far.

Anteater

I'm about to admit to something that, in many reader's minds, will serve to discredit my reviews: I don't finish the vast majority of games that I critique. Further, there are some few games where I don't even make it to the half way point. The reasons for this are various and sundry but all boil down to one indisputable fact; almost every game can be judged with a high degree of accuracy in a matter of minutes if you have enough gaming experience. Call it the game reviewer's "blink" ability.

dezsninfle.gif

HiiiLife

Click avoid in GFWL, use the black banishment crystal, or just straight up quit game when he connects.

The thing is.. We started playing it on PS3 today. Lol. I just posted in here cause I figured you guys knew a good amount of the stuff that goes on in the game considering it released on PC not too long ago. So the experience is fresh. I just blocked him. We both did. I'm done for the night. That guy completely ruined the hype of killing the Taurus Demon. Smh.

I also had to look this up on the Dark Souls forums. Low level griefers. People do this often? Terrrrrrrible. Ruining the experience. Lol.

Ridley327

Decided to roll a pyromancer, with the intention of building it around Dex/Int. I have to say that it's awfully rewarding to blitz through the Burg and the Parish with the knowledge that I have now. My only death thus far has been me falling off the bridge by the bonfire in the Burg. Go figure.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

HiiiLife

I had a feeling he didn't get past the Gargoyles.

^you guys are seriously scaring me with this Gargoyle talk. A few hours ago I beat Taurus Demon for the first time. It was a painful yet awesome experience. Lol.

And to add insult to injury, I'm watching a walkthrough strategy video and holy shit did I miss ALOT back not only at that main bonfire, but also when you enter the "Undead" section for the first time. Smh.

AND...

I was apparently supposed to pick the Master Key. I'm seriously about to restart my game if it'll make my play through a lot more enjoyable. Lol.

You can restart if you like, but the masterkey isn't necessary - it just lets you access a few areas a little earlier than you usually can. You can buy the masterkey not too far into the game if you didn't pick it as a starting gift. Most the other gifts are useless or just consumables though.

Don't worry about the Gargoyles, you can summon 2 helpers - real or NPC for bosses, and like anything in this series, the first time you face an enemy it can seem a huge challenge, but soon you will be slicing through them like butter - for example, you face more Taurus Demons later on, but by then you'll be much stronger, and you'll realise their attack patterns are easy to deal with - so if you start a new character build or play NG+ the original Taurus will be a piece of cake.

Any way, forget the Gargoyles, your biggest grief will soon be the Capra Demon! ;)

Vaporak

^you guys are seriously scaring me with this Gargoyle talk. A few hours ago I beat Taurus Demon for the first time. It was a painful yet awesome experience. Lol.

And to add insult to injury, I'm watching a walkthrough strategy video and holy shit did I miss ALOT back not only at that main bonfire, but also when you enter the "Undead" section for the first time. Smh.

AND...

I was apparently supposed to pick the Master Key. I'm seriously about to restart my game if it'll make my play through a lot more enjoyable. Lol.

Master Key exists almost entirely to sequence break or skip content, I don't suggest it for your first run through of the game.

Anteater

It's possible that he got to Capra, since he know how to summon npcs and mention how scarce humanity was, and being stunlocked into a corner, but yea it's probably one of those first bosses before the depths.

HiiiLife

You can restart if you like, but the masterkey isn't necessary - it just lets you access a few areas a little earlier than you usually can. You can buy the masterkey not too far into the game if you didn't pick it as a starting gift. Most the other gifts are useless or just consumables though.

Don't worry about the Gargoyles, you can summon 2 helpers - real or NPC for bosses, and like anything in this series, the first time you face an enemy it can seem a huge challenge, but soon you will be slicing through them like butter - for example, you face more Taurus Demons later on, but by then you'll be much stronger, and you'll realise their attack patterns are easy to deal with - so if you start a new character build or play NG+ the original Taurus will be a piece of cake.

Any way, forget the Gargoyles, your biggest grief will soon be the Capra Demon! ;)

Lol. I would love for that Demon to be my next grief, I really do. But I'm sure you read my rant a few posts up about some dude harassing my brother and I. It. Was. Horrible.

Leave us newbs alone!

*chris crocker voice*

But on a serious note. I enjoyed Demon Souls too much to let some ass ruin my opinion of this game. Gonna go in tomorrow with a fresh mind. Lol.

Thrakier

Certain weapons scale damage up based on one of the four main parameters that determine being able to use them. If you look at a weapon in detail, you'll notice letter rankings on the lower lefthand corner. They go from E to S, and the higher it is, the more of a bonus you'll receive.

Yeah yeah, I know that. I mean in relation to the lighting falchion.

SJRB

Gold Member
Played the PS3 version, but I'm thinking of picking this one up. Stupid question, but does the pc-dvd version have a full install or would I need to keep the dvd in the drive?

krakov

Falchion +10, should I upgrade it to a lighting falchion with less damage?

If you plan on investing in DEX you should keep going towards +15. If you need a damage boost you can raise DEX and/or use a weapon enchant such as Magic Weapon or a resin. If you take it the lightning way and regret it you can break it down to +10 again and go from there. The only materials you are wasting are titanite chunks which are easy to come by.

jns

Man, I had such an incredible run on NG+ last night. I was clearing New Londo Ruins to take down 4k and in the 5 tries it took me to beat them, I picked up 4!!!!! slabs from the few darkwraiths I killed on the way to the fog gate. I have never had such good luck over about 600 hours of playing. I now have the luxury of taking a few weapons I have never really used to +15.

Hzoltan69

I suck hard at the game, yet it's still my GOTY 2011.
Awful review, either way.

Judging from both the review and his comments to criticism it's clear that the guy is a jerk.

However, as for his opinion of the game - this really sounds like the impression I got after playing ten minutes in the Undead Asylum. I was ready to write the game off. Hell, I even came here puzzled: the game is ugly, controls suck, story is nonexistent, what is all the hype about?

I got a few answers though that made me give the game another try, and for that I thank you GAF. Once you stop expecting all the same things you are used to in mainstream RPGs, this game really stands on its own.

After playing for 50-odd hours I had to realize that all my initial impressions were wrong.

Graphics? While I still consider the graphics terrible from a technology standpoint, the design more than makes up for it. And now with texture modding made possible by Durante-God-Almighty, it is only a question of time until this game has the graphics detail it really deserves.

Controls? They are awesome. Weapons in this game don't just look different and have different stats - they do FEEL different, and once things 'click' they all control great.

Story? There's a brilliant story and a wonderfully complex background to this game - it's just not in-your-face.

I basically stopped playing all other games (including Skyrim and Diablo III :)) and having tremendous fun with DS. The game is by no means perfect, but it's one of the best out there.

I have just one word of advice to newcomers (and shitty reviewers): It's amazing what having an open mind can give you...

Feindflug

almost every game can be judged with a high degree of accuracy in a matter of minutes if you have enough gaming experience. Call it the game reviewer's "blink" ability

When I see the sheer amount of positive reviews this game got from the console crowd, it just reinforces my elitist PC attitude.

WOW...

jns

Metacritic adding a shit review like that is exactly why I think it's terrible and should never have existed.

I haven't bothered with metacritic for a very long time. Reviews in general are dire in video games imo and it makes the entire site useless. If I want to know more about a game before buying, then forums like gaf, or even youtube, are much more helpful to me as I can get proper opinions from people who I know have tastes that run close to mine.

I'm obviously in love with Dark Souls but I have never read a single 'proper' review of the game before, or after purchase. The only reason sites like metacritic--and games journalism in general--bother me, is the industry (aka publishers) actually put value in these random numbers given by people who are no more than people who like to play video games.

tl/dr? The entire review system is fucking stupid and game journalists are actually marketing mouthpieces.

Also, Dark Souls is the best game that has been released in the last decade.

Sry for the rant.

Long live Durante!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just got THREE Titanite Slabs in the Great Hollow, that's my personal record! No humanity or GCSR either. Praise Durante for the skipintro or that would not have been possible, as well as the crow trades.

Thrakier

If you plan on investing in DEX you should keep going towards +15. If you need a damage boost you can raise DEX and/or use a weapon enchant such as Magic Weapon or a resin. If you take it the lightning way and regret it you can break it down to +10 again and go from there. The only materials you are wasting are titanite chunks which are easy to come by.

Hm, ok, now I get it. Strange thing just is that I didn't see the +11 upgrade option. Maybe I'm missing the right part.

arit

4E406ADE979ABDA0249E88280A1763BB0FBA94B9

Solaire so crazy.

He once kicked a friend down that ladder, I guess it is his way of telling you that Gargoyles do not need phantoms.

Last time I was summoned there I was shocked to see even the FireKeeper's soul guardian to be alive, but even more after getting the message of a second summon while standing in front of the fog gate (as in summon first, try stage later). I regret not using the crystal and trying to invade him after that :D

EDIT: And that review is pure gold, I thought a PC elitist at least would have tried to copy his save for a rudimentary quickload.

Yes, you'll get it later on. Only Andre (undead parish) can ascend along the regular path once he has the right embers.

Sadly though, you cannot skip the large ember with the very large ember.

Midou

Blink Ability........

I'm gonna be sure to use that one when I feel like giving a "review" on something.

Yes, this must be the most elitest part of that review. "Oh, I can just put 10 minutes into any game and tell you if it's good". While there is a little bit of truth to the fact that you can usually determine a game is bad in some ways rather quickly, such as awful controls, you cannot just say an entire game is shit within 5 minutes of playing. Unless they are like, Big Rigs or something.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
as bad as that review is, he's right about the story. Dark souls is a huge step back from demon's souls in that regard.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
as bad as that review is, he's right about the story. Dark souls is a huge step back from demon's souls in that regard.

I disagree, especially with the AotA stuff now included. It requires more effort to get the full picture by picking up many items, achieving certain weapon ranks or covenant levels, and even ignoring other certain characters (that lie to you and obfuscate the true path ), but it contains way more lore and interesting history than Demon's Souls did.

Subtle stuff like Solaire's true identity being teased out through world clues is leagues above "dis guy is prince of boletaria" Ostrava.

Top Bottom