• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

LiK

as bad as that review is, he's right about the story. Dark souls is a huge step back from demon's souls in that regard.

I have to disagree there, I think Demons had a more straightforward story but Dark has richer lore and way more interesting characters. There's way more history and I think the various Lore videos online analyzing all the dialogue and item descriptions is really cool. There's a lot more to the history, imo

I guess it depends on what we want in a story.

I love the way the story is integrated into this game. It's not jammed down your throat with unnecessarily long intro's and cut-scenes, instead it's there for the people who want to find it, and put all the pieces together. And for people who want to just turn on a game and play, they have it delivered to them that was as well. You can ignore or participate in however much story and lore you want, it's the way that it's delivered, that is different. But it's all there.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I disagree, especially with the AotA stuff now included. It requires more effort to get the full picture by picking up many items, achieving certain weapon ranks or covenant levels, and even ignoring other certain characters (that lie to you and obfuscate the true path ), but it contains way more lore and interesting history than Demon's Souls did.

Subtle stuff like Solaire's true identity being teased out through world clues is leagues above "dis guy is prince of boletaria" Ostrava.
solaire's true identity has nothing to do with the story, thats just world building.

In the fellowship of the ring, Frodo comes across three stone trolls, it is mentioned that these were trolls encountered by bilbo on his adventures. Now, if you were curious you could dig deeper and go find a copy of the hobbit and read up on these characters, but it can hardly be said that these three stone trolls contribute anything to the actual story of the lord of the rings trilogy. They are just set pieces that flesh out the world.

spoilers for demons and dark souls ahead.

Consider Demon's souls.

Why did you go to bolatairia? because demons and adventure and rescue missions and magic powers. each class had a reason for wandering into the lands of bolataria.

why did you end up in the nexus/dead? because for 90% of people, this happened.
Failing that, you got punched by Dragon God. Point is, the game establishes a reason why you are dead and for most people, it was their own fault.

Why are you a soul/undead/in the nexus? explained upfront by a combination of the lady in black and the monumental.

How do you fix this? the nexus wants souls, go slay some demons and regain your life/accomplish those class goals.

Now for Dark souls.

Why are you at the asylum? because some people are zombies.

Why are you dead? because some people are zombies.

Why are you ringing bells? because some guy [who mocks you] you've never met before said that "something might happen"

???????? - because honestly, i have no idea why my character does what it does. apparently the first half of the main quest is some sort of poorly thought out test to filter out worthy hollows from the chaff. Why a hollow would ever undertake this test is anyone's guess. You're not lured with anything, there doesn't seem to be any goal of fixing anything and the asylum itself is the great equalizer of character classes. None of these classes have meaningful goals because you were all inmates and did not expect to escape. You're dead just because and you ring the bells because progressing is what you do in a videogame. Then the loch ness monster pops out of the floor and tells you to go get some vessel that will let you overthrow that guy you saw in the credits for 5 seconds 12 hours ago.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Demon's Souls tutorial was ace. Asylum Demon is a chump compared to Vanguard.

Making your characters storyline death be a result of poor gameplay in newer players is the coolest thing ever.

and when you go back in new game+, it rewards you for beating the boss by giving you items in the dragon god tutorial area.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Who gives a shit about this game story, honestly.
Because eventually, you get stuck between two ledges and flanked by two Black knight archers.

Curiosity and immersion in the story can be the force that puts you back on that ledge for the dozenth time.

Sullichin

Vanguard is definitely a cooler first boss than Asylum Demon. I think I've only beaten that guy once. He has a ton of health. I love the tutorial level in Demon's Souls.

Part 3 of my Naked Deprived SL6 run is up (no leveling, club/plank shield only, no elemental weapon paths, no pyro/magic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDY2JHI4BcU&feature=g-all-u

Bosses include capra, gaping dragon (channeler still alive), and I head to anor londo. The archers aren't a problem but the painting guardians on the rafters are the bane of my existance with this setup. Missing some footage like when I get killed by Kirk (yeah.. I know) because the video got corrupted and I just forgot to record at other parts. I haven't attempted O&S yet, but I'm sure unless I edit out the deaths/backtracking for that my next video is going to be me dying to them for an hour.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
[over-simplification for the sake of it]

No, Solaire isn't just "world building", the games plot and history is told through observing the world as you explore it and its items rather than in blunt un-interactive "DID YOU KNOW, SOLAIRE WAS...." cutscene form.

As for motivations, maybe you skipped the pre-rendered intro or something? Theres a birthmark or funky sigil that shows up on people turning them undead. You get afflicted with it in your past life, you get shipped off to the Undead Asylum as per the social decorum of the times (outlined no doubt by the fearful gods), and while there inherit the noble quest of the knight dude that saves you.

What follows is entirely up to you as the player in what can be described as your second life right from its start, which is good interactive storytelling. Whether you choose to believe what the people that pop up and tell you, or if you avoid them and dig deeper to find the truth behind your own heritage, the origin of the dark sign, and what all the players on this stage are vying for.

You can say its more awkward or demanding to sink your teeth into the story of Dark Souls, but it catergorically has more of it than Demon's. Its just up to you to find it.

Sullichin

Yeah I'd say the lore of Dark Souls is much more fleshed out than that of Demon's. There's just an incredible amount of it to discover.

Even though I find that the story could be better explained, I definitely loved all the little details that told just so much about the world.

I don't remember the name of the user, sorry, but that guy who started telling stuff such as all the stuff about the remaining Balder and Tower Knights or that drake trophy room and stuff made me appreciate it a lot.

It'd be better if someone actually took the time to explain a bit about the bells (even something as simple as "it's a test for the worthy Undead" would've been enough), and I still don't understand a lot about the story, but I prefer that to something more melodramatic and stupid.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It'd be better if someone actually took the time to explain a bit about the bells (even something as simple as "it's a test for the worthy Undead" would've been enough), and I still don't understand a lot about the story, but I prefer that to something more melodramatic and stupid.

The 'Gods' of Dark Souls are just like your greek set of old, challenging mortals with various tests and so forth. To reach Anor Londo, you have to pass the test of the 2 bells then Sen's Fortress. The end goal from the Gods point of view is finding a warrior worthy enough to attain the Lordvessel and ultimately re-link the bonfires by finding the sealed away Gwyn. No point in letting any old zombie chump into the hallowed Anor Londo/Mount Olympus.

I'm glad it doesnt force too much obvious motivation on you as a player and why you'd want to ring those bells, because it fits whatever class you start with. Wanderer out for adventure, brave knight looking to rescue a damsel, or adopt a cause, mage out looking for more spells and knowledge, etc. This is one of those "you are the player" games through and through. It just isn't heavy handed in spelling that out to you and just lets you go with the flow. It was refreshing. I loved Demon's Souls, but the "YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD" setup wouldnt really have suited someone starting out as a Depraved Barbarian or Thief would it?

antitrop

It's hidden, weird, abstract and reads like a religious text or an epic poem and has its own weird consistent logic and connectivity.

Fits the game like a glove.
Ok, I can buy all of that, but I still don't think the story of Dark Souls is very well presented.

It's definitely hidden, I think to the detriment.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh man, just read that review... Proof positive that just having an opinion and being able to put it down in words coherently means precisely nothing.

Admitting sloppy practice and bias upfront does not matter, why should I care to read if the writer can't be bothered to do more than the minimum and disqualifies his view at the outset?

Ok, I can buy all of that, but I still don't think the story of Dark Souls is very well presented.

It's definitely hidden, I think to the detriment.

That's the point. It doesn't need constant exposure through cutscenes or dialog especially since the majority of people wouldn't care for it. Gameplay definitely comes first.

All this adds a layer of mystery and if you happen to get fascinated by it, well there's a lot of good stuff for you to discover. I love how even the environments itself can tell parts of the story in this game. Speaks of talent and artistry of level designers.

Sullichin

What are your favorite sound effects in this game?

I absolutely love the mimic's laugh and death cry. So creepy and unique, fits the design perfectly.
The fast roll sound (coupled with its animation) is really satisfying for some reason.
Swinging blades in Sen's fortress are obviously great.
The sound of hitting a titanite demon. You get the feeling that you're not even making a dent.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
No, Solaire isn't just "world building", the games plot and history is told through observing the world rather than in "DID YOU KNOW, SOLAIRE WAS...." cutscene form.
You can never speak to solaire and the biggest impact that would have is you'll be confused by all the joke 'praise the sun' player signs.

but yeah, tell me again how important he is.
As for motivations, maybe you skipped the pre-rendered intro or something? Theres a birthmark or funky sigil that shows up on people turning them undead.
i did mention the 'because some people are zombies' and the cutscene that does not bear fruit until your average new player has dumped a work day into playtime.

You get it, you get shipped off to the Undead Asylum as per the social decorum of the times (outlined no doubt by the fearful gods), and while there inherit the noble quest of the knight dude that saves you.

What follows is entirely up to you as the player, which is good interactive storytelling. Whether you choose to believe what the people that pop up and tell you, or if you avoid them and dig deeper to find the truth behind your own heritage, the origin of the dark sign, and what all the players on this stage are vying for.

You can say its more awkward or demanding to sink your teeth into the story of Dark Souls, but it catergorically has more of it than Demon's. Its just up to you to find it.
being awkward and demanding are flaws of the narrative.

having to jump off an elevator, roll on a ledge, ignore a shiny, curl up into a ball in a giant birds nest and then go stare at a giant painting Isn't deep and rewarding interactive storytelling, its fucking cryptic nonsense. The existence of lore does not excuse the manner in which it is conveyed.

quelaag and her sister have an interesting backstory that ties into the overarching lore, but if you didn't pick the witches ring at the start, boy are you ever fucked when it comes to finding out about it.

There's definitely some love for cryptic nonsense. I can't deny that. That comes with being a Souls game.

Love it or hate it but I think it's integral.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
There's definitely some love for cryptic nonsense. I can't deny that. That comes with being a Souls game.
Well, thats my point. it doesn't. Demon souls reserved almost all of its cryptic nonsense behind world tendency; there was a universal method of changing world tendency and there were scheduled events where world tendency was forcibly set to black/white for several days, so you could still stumble upon a character like Selen without needing to explore world tendency modification. one in a million players will stumble upon a witches ring and tie it to quelaag's sister without the existence of online guides.

But on the other hand, demon souls did have a lot less lore to find, so it's a lot easier to just drop a character like Selen in the valley.

You can never speak to solaire and the biggest impact that would have is you'll be confused by all the joke 'praise the sun' player signs.

but yeah, tell me again how important he is.

i did mention the 'because some people are zombies' and the cutscene that does not bear fruit until your average new player has dumped a work day into playtime.

being awkward and demanding are flaws of the narrative.

having to jump off an elevator, roll on a ledge, ignore a shiny, curl up into a ball in a giant birds nest and then go stare at a giant painting Isn't deep and rewarding interactive storytelling, its fucking cryptic nonsense. The existence of lore does not excuse the manner in which it is conveyed.

quelaag and her sister have an interesting backstory that ties into the overarching lore, but if you didn't pick the witches ring at the start, boy are you ever fucked when it comes to finding out about it.

You meet Solaire multiple times throughout the game and he tells you things, usually relevant to the places you have just been or the things you have done.

You can talk to the despondant guy at firelink shrine and he will tell you about the crow and curling up in a ball. The shiny on the way shouldn't be ignored as it gets you a great environmental ring.

Quelana gives you back story on her sisters and you can read the item descriptions to learn a lot more about the chaos witches. If you don't go pyro though then those elements may not be relevant to your character. The crow girl will trade you for a witches ring as well.

I love how much and how little there is. If you just talk to the astora knight, the despondent knight, frampt and qwynevere then you will fight gwyn and probably get the bad ending. But if you talk to everyone repeatedly and read up on the world/pay attention to your surroundings, you will find yourself in one of the most impressively realized worlds in gaming.

J-Rod

Can someone help me with this issue?

I don't know, but maybe try disabling windows firewall all together. If that works, then that's the culprit. Re-enable it and add a rule for that particular port.

If that's not it, then it might be some other security software you have installed on your machine like mcafee. Try disabling them to test it.

Pie and Beans

-- You can never speak to solaire

-- having to jump off an elevator, roll on a ledge, ignore a shiny, curl up into a ball in a giant birds nest and then go stare at a giant painting Isn't deep and rewarding interactive storytelling, its fucking cryptic nonsense

-- I spoke to him multiple times? Sure he doesn't have much to say since he's pretty fruity and gone a fair bit senile, but his plot quest is pretty interesting to follow through.

-- The Painted World is entirely separate to most if not all of the games plot proper. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it may have once been up for locking off into extra DLC territory for that very reason. It also teases a return of the "fight another player as the boss" mechanic with the Xanthou armour set and that darn hat. Maybe they ran out of time there to get that feature in again.

The way to view Dark Souls plot is like an archaeologist. Not in that faux language deciphering way of Fez, but by researching through item descriptions and exploring this entire world and of things, people, and enemies in very specific places. It is a precise example of how a videogame can tell its story not in the conventional structure of all narrative, all the time. You can choose just to dick around and chop at dudes, or put the mental investment in required to finding all the rich history and situation of just what the fuck is all going on here. It ranks up there and beyond games like Ico, SOTC, and Journey for telling a story in far different ways to gameplay -> exposition cutscene -> gameplay, cycle.

I mean Demon's Souls, while having a fairly basic plot structure all laid out for you with a big bad, calamity and save the world message, even had more difficult to access plot shit in the form of world tendancy locked events. Dark Souls is a far superior solution to its very unique way of storytelling.

For those looking for a fair bit more conventional storytelling though, the AotA stuff has it in spades. Lots of talky characters, lots of lore, fairly simply laid out. Come here, rescue the princess from the big bad, save the day!

So tired of farming Titanite Chunks, I want to take my Zhwehainder to Lightning + 5 but the chunk drops are so rare, maybe I should just wait until I get to New Londo, im farming it by killing the 2 knights before the entrance of O&S.

Anyway, went back to Sens Fortress to help some people out in jolly cooperation, I feel so freaking over powered with my Zhwe Light + 3, I remember this place being a nightmare, now I just run in and out like its my home, its an amazing feeling :)

Grief.exe

I don't know, but maybe try disabling windows firewall all together. If that works, then that's the culprit. Re-enable it and add a rule for that particular port.

If that's not it, then it might be some other security software you have installed on your machine like mcafee. Try disabling them to test it.

I appreciate the reply.

I already have Windows Firewall disabled and the only security software I run is Security Essentials.

Original issue if anyone has any advice:

I'm having trouble opening up port 3074.

I set up a static IP for my computer.
Logged into router, went to port forwarding section
did 3074 UDP/TDP with my static IP

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

This still shows that 3074 is closed, any advice?

I appreciate the reply.

I already have Windows Firewall disabled and the only security software I run is Security Essentials.

Original issue if anyone has any advice:

I have had bad experiences with web-based port forwarding checks and they don't necessarily have correct results in my case. I always use http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/ to check my ports, and the results are generally accurate, as in the ports that I opened on my router appear as open, the others don't. Maybe that'll help you.

After installation just go to Tools -> "Test your Port Forwarding" and enter the ports you want to check.

EasyMode

What are your favorite sound effects in this game?

I absolutely love the mimic's laugh and death cry. So creepy and unique, fits the design perfectly.
The fast roll sound (coupled with its animation) is really satisfying for some reason.
Swinging blades in Sen's fortress are obviously great.
The sound of hitting a titanite demon. You get the feeling that you're not even making a dent.

Those are all good. Some others:

- Bleeding explosion
- The Zweihander's two-handed strong attack and any similar weighty sounding attack
- The lightning miracle

Least favorite: Brass set/chain mail... ching, ching, ching!

Vanguard is definitely a cooler first boss than Asylum Demon. I think I've only beaten that guy once. He has a ton of health. I love the tutorial level in Demon's Souls.

Part 3 of my Naked Deprived SL6 run is up (no leveling, club/plank shield only, no elemental weapon paths, no pyro/magic)

Bosses include capra, gaping dragon (channeler still alive), and I head to anor londo. The archers aren't a problem but the painting guardians on the rafters are the bane of my existance with this setup. Missing some footage like when I get killed by Kirk (yeah.. I know) because the video got corrupted and I just forgot to record at other parts. I haven't attempted O&S yet, but I'm sure unless I edit out the deaths/backtracking for that my next video is going to be me dying to them for an hour.

Woooooooooord, I'll catch up with this part later tonight when I have a chance.

Grief.exe

I have had bad experiences with web-based port forwarding checks and they don't necessarily have correct results in my case. I always use http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/ to check my ports, and the results are generally accurate, as in the ports that I opened on my router appear as open, the others don't. Maybe that'll help you.

After installation just go to Tools -> "Test your Port Forwarding" and enter the ports you want to check.

Well this seems to work, I installed the tool and its showing that 3074 is open. I even tested with a random port and it showed that one as closed.

So at least they are open on my end, and I have no firewall that could be blocking the connection. Hopefully its getting through just fine. This has been a lot of time wasted...

Hopefully some of the other things I have done will help my connections as well. Disable the router firewall, turning NAT on, allowing for port connections, etc.

EDIT: I'm still getting the issue where the fog wall goes up and its obvious someone is invading but its just not going through.

EDIT2: I'm actually getting a lot of action today. I'm not getting as much of the failed gray wall, actually I haven't had any since the last edit. Done about 20-30 duels, gotta go to class now.

Sullichin

Woooooooooord, I'll catch up with this part later tonight when I have a chance.

Heh, I watched your centipede demon fight earlier, I never knew that the arm can detach and crawl at you by itself like that. Also in that last video I posted, a man serpent spits some sort of gas at me. That attack caught me off guard, I think I have only seen it one other time in many, many playthroughs.

Well this seems to work, I installed the tool and its showing that 3074 is open. I even tested with a random port and it showed that one as closed.

So at least they are open on my end, and I have no firewall that could be blocking the connection. Hopefully its getting through just fine. This has been a lot of time wasted...

Hopefully some of the other things I have done will help my connections as well. Disable the router firewall, turning NAT on, allowing for port connections, etc.

EDIT: I'm still getting the issue where the fog wall goes up and its obvious someone is invading but its just not going through.

I get a lot of that in Ooacile. It's annoying because you can't do anything except stand there

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So tired of farming Titanite Chunks, I want to take my Zhwehainder to Lightning + 5 but the chunk drops are so rare, maybe I should just wait until I get to New Londo, im farming it by killing the 2 knights before the entrance of O&S.

Anyway, went back to Sens Fortress to help some people out in jolly cooperation, I feel so freaking over powered with my Zhwe Light + 3, I remember this place being a nightmare, now I just run in and out like its my home, its an amazing feeling :)
They drop pretty frequently for me, tbh.

It's easier farming Titanite Chunks than Large Titanite Shards.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just picked up the Prepare to Die pc version, lots of goodies were included [artbook, poster, cards]. Pretty cool.

I played up until Anor Londo on the PS3, which got incredibly boring and frustrating so I never continued onwards. I'll try the pyromancer this time around.

..after I check out Durante's updates, of course.

Sullichin

Just picked up the Prepare to Die pc version, lots of goodies were included [artbook, poster, cards]. Pretty cool.

I played up until Anor Londo on the PS3, which got incredibly boring and frustrating so I never continued onwards. I'll try the pyromancer this time around.

..after I check out Durante's updates, of course.

Yeah don't even run the game until you install DsFix.

How do you have all those rings so early in the game, in particular the Serpent Ring got my attention, as you already have it by the time you hit the Capra Demon?

Also that fight with the Gaping Dragon was awesome and intense.

Ruuppa

They drop pretty frequently for me, tbh.

It's easier farming Titanite Chunks than Large Titanite Shards.
It really depends on where you're farming. Darkwraiths are my bosom buddies for Chunks(and sometimes Slabs), while the Royal Sentinels almost never deign to drop Chunks.

Large Titanite Shards are ridiculously easy to get if you're on good terms with Frampt, just feed him Chunks, you get 3 or 4 Shards per Chunk.

Sullichin

How do you have all those rings so early in the game, in particular the Serpent Ring got my attention, as you already have it by the time you hit the Capra Demon?

Also that fight with the Gaping Dragon was awesome and intense.

I rang both bells in the second part (back entrance through blighttown). Then when I was messing around with the 60fps patch (I can't record when using this), I had the bright idea to rush through Sen's fortress to buy some large titanite shards. I died in Sen's but was able to grab the ring of steel protection and the covetous serpent ring. Then I decided to just hit up Sen's a bit later so there wouldn't be even more backtracking in my videos. I also lost a ring of sacrifice in this charade.

This playthrough is about to fall apart with O&S looming, though. I might backtrack and get the rite of kindling before even attempting that fight.

LiK

Also that fight with the Gaping Dragon was awesome and intense.[/

he was too easy compared to the other bosses so i didn't find it exciting.

Heh, I watched your centipede demon fight earlier, I never knew that the arm can detach and crawl at you by itself like that. Also in that last video I posted, a man serpent spits some sort of gas at me. That attack caught me off guard, I think I have only seen it one other time in many, many playthroughs.

inorite.

To this day I still see stuff that catches me off guard, it keeps it interesting.

I have like 5 more parts to upload, but they need commentary, and I've been busy lately. I'll try to finish up this playthrough this week, and start uploading my SL.1 run after next week. (I've already started)

I'm thinking that I'm going to do a SL.1 run next, melee, and then immediately after, do a SL.1 NG+, naked, melee, calamity ring, cursed, (Lol, yeah right, me? haha)

I'm ready to rage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It really depends on where you're farming. Darkwraiths are my bosom buddies for Chunks(and sometimes Slabs), while the Royal Sentinels almost never deign to drop Chunks.

Large Titanite Shards are ridiculously easy to get if you're on good terms with Frampt, just feed him Chunks, you get 3 or 4 Shards per Chunk.
I went Kaathe route >_>

I rang both bells in the second part (back entrance through blighttown). Then when I was messing around with the 60fps patch (I can't record when using this), I had the bright idea to rush through Sen's fortress to buy some large titanite shards. I died in Sen's but was able to grab the ring of steel protection and the covetous serpent ring. Then I decided to just hit up Sen's a bit later so there wouldn't be even more backtracking in my videos. I also lost a ring of sacrifice in this charade.

This playthrough is about to fall apart with O&S looming, though. I might backtrack and get the rite of kindling before even attempting that fight.

But but but, how can you even get to Blighttown to ring the second bell if you havent gone through the Depths yet?

he was too easy compared to the other bosses so i didn't find it exciting.

The channeler buffing the boss and shooting magic arrows at him had me at the edge of my seat hahahaha.

Top Bottom