• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But but but, how can you even get to Blighttown to ring the second bell if you havent gone through the Depths yet?
There's a cave to Blighttown that goes through Valley of Drakes, which can be access from New Londo near the Firelink Elevator.

You need the Master Key though.

Sullichin

But but but, how can you even get to Blighttown to ring the second bell if you havent gone through the Depths yet?

The channeler buffing the boss and shooting magic arrows at him had me at the edge of my seat hahahaha.

I have the master key. You can go into blighttown the back way from firelink shrine -> new londo -> valley of drakes. i show it in part 2. Lower undead burg and the depths are actually completely optional areas.

And yeah the channeler hit me with soul rays so many times, I'm surprised I survived that. Thought I'd do it to make the fight more interesting because it's not that challenging otherwise.

inorite.

To this day I still see stuff that catches me off guard, it keeps it interesting.

I have like 5 more parts to upload, but they need commentary, and I've been busy lately. I'll try to finish up this playthrough this week, and start uploading my SL.1 run after next week. (I've already started)

I'm thinking that I'm going to do a SL.1 run next, melee, and then immediately after, do a SL.1 NG+, naked, melee, calamity ring, cursed, (Lol, yeah right, me? haha)

I'm ready to rage.

Wiki'd this ring..

**Reads description**...

Why does this item exist...

Oh, right, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition...

Psy-Phi

It really depends on where you're farming. Darkwraiths are my bosom buddies for Chunks(and sometimes Slabs), while the Royal Sentinels almost never deign to drop Chunks.

Large Titanite Shards are ridiculously easy to get if you're on good terms with Frampt, just feed him Chunks, you get 3 or 4 Shards per Chunk.

But you need chunks for other upgrades.

I find it very easy to just....y'know...buy the Large Shards? The merchant in Sen's and the smith in Anor Londo sell them. But you can kill slimes in the Depths for a good amount too if you're heart set on not purchasing the things.

Haly

I think it's faster farming Painted World and then buying Large Titanite than farming slimes.

At the very least, it's not subject to RNG.

Sullichin

But you need chunks for other upgrades.

I find it very easy to just....y'know...buy the Large Shards? The merchant in Sen's and the smith in Anor Londo sell them. But you can kill slimes in the Depths for a good amount too if you're heart set on not purchasing the things.

The annoying thing though is that you get the large ember at the start of the depths, but you can't buy large shards until you're at the top of Sen's Fortress. If you don't have any and you're going into Sen's with just a +5 weapon, you're making things harder than they have to be. It would be great if Andre sold them, even at 3x the cost of the other merchants or in a limited supply to get you started.

inorite.

To this day I still see stuff that catches me off guard, it keeps it interesting.

I have like 5 more parts to upload, but they need commentary, and I've been busy lately. I'll try to finish up this playthrough this week, and start uploading my SL.1 run after next week. (I've already started)

I'm thinking that I'm going to do a SL.1 run next, melee, and then immediately after, do a SL.1 NG+, naked, melee, calamity ring, cursed, (Lol, yeah right, me? haha)

I'm ready to rage.

O_O Having a ring slot permanently occupied by the calamity ring will be more of a hindrance than the damage increase, I'd imagine. If you're Cursed and naked at SL1 in NG+ most things will one shot you anyway. That will be a fun playthrough to watch.

Thinking about unequipping my FAP ring for my deprived run so I can permanently use Ring of Steel Protection + Wolf Ring.. but I think the extra vit and stamina outweighs increased physical resistance.

There's a cave to Blighttown that goes through Valley of Drakes, which can be access from New Londo near the Firelink Elevator.

You need the Master Key though.

I have never tried it, but could you not also get there via the deeproot garden elevator then the valley of drakes? Much more dangerous, but you wouldn't need the master key.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah don't even run the game until you install DsFix.

Looks aces in 1920 x 1080, holy hell. And smooth too. Only getting framerate drops when resting at a bonfire.

Anyway, blasted through Undead Asylum and just reached the bonfire underneath the bridge in Undead Burg. I need to come up with some proper leveling strategy. During my Warrior ps3 playthrough I just winged it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game completely consumed my weekend and I'm absolutely loving it.

I made some pretty great progress, too. I went all the way through Sen's Fortress, then Anor Londo, went back to kill Sif and the Hydra in Darkroot, and then made my way into the Ruins of New Londo and took out the Four Kings. After hearing how difficult the Four Kings fight was, I was actually surprised at how easily I was able to dodge their attacks and cut them down. I beat the encounter on my second try.

I also managed to upgrade my Pyromancy Catalyst to +15. I'm rocking that along with a +14 Iaito. My dex is up to 37 now, but since I forged the Greatsword of Artorias, I've been trying to build up my Intelligence and Faith to 18 each in order to wield it properly. Unfortunately, my Soul Level is like 73 now, so it's become rather difficult to level up.

I'm wondering where to head off to next. Duke's Archives? Catacombs? Lost Izalith? Any suggestions?

Zeliard

I made some pretty great progress, too. I went all the way through Sen's Fortress, then Anor Londo, went back to kill Sif and the Hydra in Darkroot, and then made my way into the Ruins of New Londo and took out the Four Kings. After hearing how difficult the Four Kings fight was, I was actually surprised at how easily I was able to dodge their attacks and cut them down. I beat the encounter on my second try.

I also managed to upgrade my Pyromancy Catalyst to +15. I'm rocking that along with a +14 Iaito. My dex is up to 37 now, but since I forged the Greatsword of Artorias, I've been trying to build up my Intelligence and Faith to 18 each in order to wield it properly. Unfortunately, my Soul Level is like 73 now, so it's become rather difficult to level up.

I'm wondering where to head off to next. Duke's Archives? Catacombs? Lost Izalith? Any suggestions?

Do the Catacombs. You'll cut through everything easily at the point you're at, and the boss is laughable. Then you can just keep going on to Tomb of the Giants where one of the Lord Souls rests.

Bring a divine weapon (preferably one with striking power like a club or mace) to keep skeletons down until the necromancers are out of the picture, and a light source (i.e. the Sorcery spell Light) for Tomb of the Giants.

Haly

I did Archive > Izalith > Catacombs > Giants, mostly because I wanted the Sunlight Maggot from Izalith before going down into Giants.

At that level you should hit up the archives if only to get the pendant and check out the added content.

JeTmAn81

Well, I did it you guys. I finally beat Ornstein & Smough. Didn't even use summons, either, though I made an attempt once with Solaire after disconnecting my PS3 from the network so I couldn't get invaded (lol). But basically I just learned how to be patient, baiting Ornstein so I could hit him with my slow-moving high-damaging pyro attacks, then keeping those columns between me and Super Smough and slowly whittling him down after his straightforward hammer attack. It was such a feeling of relief to finally beat those dudes. After that I went on to New Londo Ruins, got to the Four Kings, decided that battle is too tough for me right now and proceeded on to fun with skeletons in the Catacombs.

Zeliard

If you unlock the Izalith shortcut you can get a Sunlight Maggot within a few minutes.

But it should be unnecessary if you have the light spell and 14 INT.

SJRB

Gold Member

That's awesome.

I'll try to incorporate more non-melee combat mechanics like pyromancy. Though the whole stats thing is still a bit complex for me, which is probably why I went a full-melee warrior in my last playthrough. I stopped playing when the stats started taking effects [I crafted a chaos fury sword +5 or whatever, and at that point I totally lost track of what stats do affect and what don't].

It's been a while too, I should read up on some basics again.

This post will contain massive spoilers. If you haven't beaten the game and read up on the implications of the different factions of the two serpents, you probably shouldn't be reading it.

It'd be better if someone actually took the time to explain a bit about the bells (even something as simple as "it's a test for the worthy Undead" would've been enough).

I have my own theory for why you ring the bells. I guess it could be seen as a "test to see who is worthy" if you believe that Frampt is the good guy. But if you subscribe to the popular theory that Frampt is a liar you can look at it in a very different way.

I look at it like this. I think the age of fire isn't really ending. I don't think Frampt and Gwyndolin really need your help. Gwyn doesn't need to be replaced. If he did, why would they try to kill you over and over again, e.g. luring you into fucking Blighttown to ring a bell, pitting you against their best man (Ornstein) and so on. I guess the bells can be viewed as a test to see who is worthy. But that doesn't explain why they would waste their best man in a test of worthiness, after you have already proven yourself repeatedly. Also, why would they treat you like shit and lie to you?

Instead, I think Frampt, Gwyndolin and cohort is terrified of you. Ancient prophecies state that a chosen undead will appear, changing the world in some significant way. I believe the prophecy refers to the chosen undead killing Gwyn, which would end the age of Fire and Gods and start the age of Darkness and Man. Of course, Gwyndolin and other gods, getting their godly powers from fire, would rather the status quo to remain. Thus, they do what they can to kill all would-be chosen ones. They propagate the myth that the bells of awakening should be ringed to lure adventurous undead into the clutches of gargoyles and the depths of Blighttown. If someone strong enough to survive these perils emerges, they know that someone would have a large chance of killing Gwyn and ushering in the age of darkness.

Thus, the Bells of Awakening also serve as alarm bells also in the figurative sense. If someone manages to ring them, Frampt and co know that they would have a large threat on their hands. Thus starts Plan B: Obfuscation part Deux. If the prophecy is true and the chosen undead actually kicks the bucket, they need to make sure that this wouldn't mean the end of the Age of Fire. How to do this? By convincing the stupid sod to burn in eternity in his place of course! How to do that? By getting to them before the other side can.

And considering which ending most first time players ended up with (unless they looked stuff up on the Internet), their devious plan most likely succeeded.

One of the advantages of From's approach to storytelling of keeping a lot hidden from the player is that it leaves a lot of room for enjoyable speculation. Not to mention the genius of creating a story where the protagonist is fooled into acting against their own interest due to not getting the full picture, by fooling the player in the same way.

SJRB

Gold Member
By the way, what armor is featured on the cover of the prepare to die edition? Looks awesome!

5JzfV.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In case you don't want to read the spoiler... here's a hint. The Japanese title of Prepare to Die Edition is, "Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition"

The annoying thing though is that you get the large ember at the start of the depths, but you can't buy large shards until you're at the top of Sen's Fortress. If you don't have any and you're going into Sen's with just a +5 weapon, you're making things harder than they have to be. It would be great if Andre sold them, even at 3x the cost of the other merchants or in a limited supply to get you started.

O_O Having a ring slot permanently occupied by the calamity ring will be more of a hindrance than the damage increase, I'd imagine. If you're Cursed and naked at SL1 in NG+ most things will one shot you anyway. That will be a fun playthrough to watch.

Thinking about unequipping my FAP ring for my deprived run so I can permanently use Ring of Steel Protection + Wolf Ring.. but I think the extra vit and stamina outweighs increased physical resistance.

Yeah, it's essentially a no-hit run, it's going to be chaotic, and grueling, but tbh, I don't think I can do it, but I want to push myself and try it anyways, even to see how far I get before miserably giving up and crying myself to sleep.

Regardless, that is way down the road, and although it's nice to think about, I don't want to start the theory crafting just get, to avoid getting ahead of myself. I still have to finish the standard game as it is.

And, I never have used the Ring of Favor, but, as a user who relies on that Wolf ring, I can say, it's really handy to have, but when it comes into play, it's usually a really hairy situation anyways. I guess this is partially true with the Ring of Favor, but you also have a nice little equip load increase (not that it is useful in your run), and stamina increase is always welcomed.

ElFly

Last night I was in human form in Painted World, cause I wanted the Xanthous' notched whip. So I was going upwards the spiral stairs to kill the harpies when I was invaded.

I started to go back down to hunt the invader, when suddenly a cutscene interrupted me. The statue in the phalanx area started turning.

Which really fucking helped me, cause I always forget where the fuck is that switch.

The cutscene ended, and I recovered control and promptly fell off the stair and died. So I never got to thank the "benefactor" that came to my world and opened my switch.

Yeah, it's essentially a no-hit run, it's going to be chaotic, and grueling, but tbh, I don't think I can do it, but I want to push myself and try it anyways, even to see how far I get before miserably giving up and crying myself to sleep.

Regardless, that is way down the road, and although it's nice to think about, I don't want to start the theory crafting just get, to avoid getting ahead of myself. I still have to finish the standard game as it is.

And, I never have used the Ring of Favor, but, as a user who relies on that Wolf ring, I can say, it's really handy to have, but when it comes into play, it's usually a really hairy situation anyways. I guess this is partially true with the Ring of Favor, but you also have a nice little equip load increase (not that it is useful in your run), and stamina increase is always welcomed.

Has anyone attempted a run like this on Youtube?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, what's a good DEX weapon?

I'm doing pretty well at 37 dexterity with a Iaito +14 right now.

I'm definitely going to look into getting an upgrading a Balder Side Sword, though.

Zeliard

Chaos blade is prob the best dex weapon if you aren't using buffs

Chaos Blade's my favorite weapon in the game. The R2 attacks are functionally problematic but they've got a level of badassery matched by very few weapons. I also dig the HP-sapping as an added element of difficulty, especially going with a low-VIT build, as well as the encouragement to always keep a minimum of 10 humanity on you.

Painted Guardian Sword, Gold Tracer, and Priscilla's Dagger also have movesets that just look sick. DEX weapons are the jam.

Has anyone attempted a run like this on Youtube?

I don't know, but it's been done, just not directly. I mean there's people who make no-hit videos of boss fights all the time. It's really just a series of those. In between the boss fights it's a matter of ninja'ing by everything and trying not to get hit by anything on your way between bonfires.

Sullichin

I rely heavily on the wolf ring in my deprived run. It's very useful to not be staggered by every hit. Just took my first attempt at O&S and got smashed in seconds. :p

This post will contain massive spoilers. If you haven't beaten the game and read up on the implications of the different factions of the two serpents, you probably shouldn't be reading it.

I have my own theory for why you ring the bells. I guess it could be seen as a "test to see who is worthy" if you believe that Frampt is the good guy. But if you subscribe to the popular theory that Frampt is a liar you can look at it in a very different way.

I look at it like this. I think the age of fire isn't really ending. I don't think Frampt and Gwyndolin really need your help. Gwyn doesn't need to be replaced. If he did, why would they try to kill you over and over again, e.g. luring you into fucking Blighttown to ring a bell, pitting you against their best man (Ornstein) and so on. I guess the bells can be viewed as a test to see who is worthy. But that doesn't explain why they would waste their best man in a test of worthiness, after you have already proven yourself repeatedly. Also, why would they treat you like shit and lie to you?

Instead, I think Frampt, Gwyndolin and cohort is terrified of you. Ancient prophecies state that a chosen undead will appear, changing the world in some significant way. I believe the prophecy refers to the chosen undead killing Gwyn, which would end the age of Fire and Gods and start the age of Darkness and Man. Of course, Gwyndolin and other gods, getting their godly powers from fire, would rather the status quo to remain. Thus, they do what they can to kill all would-be chosen ones. They propagate the myth that the bells of awakening should be ringed to lure adventurous undead into the clutches of gargoyles and the depths of Blighttown. If someone strong enough to survive these perils emerges, they know that someone would have a large chance of killing Gwyn and ushering in the age of darkness.

Thus, the Bells of Awakening also serve as alarm bells also in the figurative sense. If someone manages to ring them, Frampt and co know that they would have a large threat on their hands. Thus starts Plan B: Obfuscation part Deux. If the prophecy is true and the chosen undead actually kicks the bucket, they need to make sure that this wouldn't mean the end of the Age of Fire. How to do this? By convincing the stupid sod to burn in eternity in his place of course! How to do that? By getting to them before the other side can.

And considering which ending most first time players ended up with (unless they looked stuff up on the Internet), their devious plan most likely succeeded.

One of the advantages of From's approach to storytelling of keeping a lot hidden from the player is that it leaves a lot of room for enjoyable speculation. Not to mention the genius of creating a story where the protagonist is fooled into acting against their own interest due to not getting the full picture, by fooling the player in the same way.
No, no, I mean, I heard the theories and I got more or less clear what the purpose of the bells was when playing the story, I just mean, it would've helped if "Well, if you ring the bells something happens" was "You must ring the bells, because it's part of X" instead, at least, for the complaints of the story being too cryptic.

Chaos Blade's my favorite weapon in the game. The R2 attacks are functionally problematic but they've got a level of badassery matched by very few weapons. I also dig the HP-sapping as an added element of difficulty, especially going with a low-VIT build, as well as the encouragement to always keep a minimum of 10 humanity on you.

Painted Guardian Sword, Gold Tracer, and Priscilla's Dagger also have movesets that just look sick. DEX weapons are the jam.
yea the R2 is garbage but it does the most damage, longest reach(besides wp) and most bleed damage of the kantanas. Love it

Top Bottom