• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

SYNTAX182

So I got this, but it seems when I launch the game from steam, it takes a while to get to the game. It will launch on a window, and stay there for awhile saying the game is not responding, then load maybe 5 minutes later (maybe I'm exaggerating, haven't timed when it loads, but it's definitely not normal).

Also, I have the dsfix 1.5, didn't make any edits to the settings, and the game is sped up a bit more than normal. Animations, etc. When I delete, the game is on normal speed. Not FPS, mine is always locked at 30fps.

Anyone having these issues?

M cpu is a Intel g620, EVGA 550 ti, 4GB ram on Win7. Maybe I just need to upgrade processor for this game.

Zeliard

yea the R2 is garbage but it does the most damage, longest reach(besides wp) and most bleed damage of the kantanas. Love it

The R2 attacks are basically terrible in terms of effectiveness but so awesome when you time them properly to land a finishing blow, or knock fools down with the two-handed R2.

So first time posting in the thread but I've hit a bit of a wall. I can't seem to beat either Queelag or Sif. I'm currently SL45 IIRC and am playing a knight with 25 STR, 21 END and 21 VIT, 15 FAITH and 14 DEX. I'm wearing the Elite Knight Armor set all at +3 and am using the Zweihander +10, Short Bow +5 and the Drake Sword +2. I also have the Dragon Crest Shield, Havels Ring and another ring I can't remember the name of that enhances my critical strikes.

Queelag just wrecks me with that fire burst attack. I feel like I'm too slow to move away from it and even if I call in that phantom chick for help, I can maybe get her down to half health.

Sif I've gotten a bit closer on and it's just learning his attack patterns but I feel like the Zweihander is too slow a weapon to use. The Drake Sword doesn't do shit for damage though.

Any tips? Recommended equipment? Should I just farm the Valley of Drake and get my level up some?

So first time posting in the thread but I've hit a bit of a wall. I can't seem to beat either Queelag or Sif. I'm currently SL45 IIRC and am playing a knight with 25 STR, 21 END and 21 VIT, 15 FAITH and 14 DEX. I'm wearing the Elite Knight Armor set all at +3 and am using the Zweihander +10, Short Bow +5 and the Drake Sword +2. I also have the Dragon Crest Shield, Havels Ring and another ring I can't remember the name of that enhances my critical strikes.

Queelag just wrecks me with that fire burst attack. I feel like I'm too slow to move away from it and even if I call in that phantom chick for help, I can maybe get her down to half health.

Sif I've gotten a bit closer on and it's just learning his attack patterns but I feel like the Zweihander is too slow a weapon to use. The Drake Sword doesn't do shit for damage though.

Any tips? Recommended equipment? Should I just farm the Valley of Drake and get my level up some?

You are way higher than you need to be for Quelaag. Try to tackle her first.

If you have magic, she is pretty easy to hit at a distance while the other NPC tanks her. Get in close for some attacks but be prepared to run quickly to avoid her area effect attack. If you need to, you can always ditch some of your armor. The red cloak set you find in Blighttown works well.

Haunted

Your equipment and levels are totally fine for both Queelag and Sif. Make sure you're under 50% equip load so rolling is an option. For Queelag, try to stay at her side, not in front. The phantom you summon can tank a lot of damage and aggro, definitely enough for you to get one, even two swings in with the Zweihander (use shield -> run in, swing two-handed -> get out with shield again). She has a pretty clear tell for the area attack, just run away if you spot it.

For Sif, I prefer being agile with <25% equip load, because the safest place to be is right under his belly, a bold roll towards him at the right time and you can let loose against him. The gold-hemmed armour set you get in an area shortly after Queelag is a great low-equip load set.

And obviously, if all else fails, you can always try to summon some other players to help with the bosses.

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone just told me a playthrough route that is very different from my own. What route are you guys following and better yet - what difference could it make?

For instance - I did Darkroot Garden before going to Blighttown. This guy did the Darkroot Garden after Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only routes out there are "recommended." Considering there are people completing the game at SL1 with clubs and shit, it's definitely possible to tackle the areas in any order your please (excluding the blocked out areas that open up once you get the Lordvessel).

Grief.exe

If you wear the Havel's ring you should be able to have all of your equipment plus whatever sword you want and stay under 25% equip load. If not you can always remove a couple pieces of the elite knight set and replace it with a lighter armor.

Sif and Quelaag fights aren't that difficult once you learn when and where to dodge. I think my last playthrough I beat both bosses on the first attempt taking maybe one hit each time.

Check out these boss guide videos to give you some more tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7-DX5f0_A&feature=plcp

Ridley327

Someone just told me a playthrough route that is very different from my own. What route are you guys following and better yet - what difference could it make?

For instance - I did Darkroot Garden before going to Blighttown. This guy did the Darkroot Garden after Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave.

I mean, at some point, you have to do Darkroot Garden; it can't be avoided, because you need the item that the boss drops. I don't think when you do it has much bearing on anything, since it's a hot PvP area that doesn't have any level limits.

That being said, a new cutscene plays before you fight the boss if you completed the DLC area.

SYNTAX182

So I got this, but it seems when I launch the game from steam, it takes a while to get to the game. It will launch on a window, and stay there for awhile saying the game is not responding, then load maybe 5 minutes later (maybe I'm exaggerating, haven't timed when it loads, but it's definitely not normal).

Also, I have the dsfix 1.5, didn't make any edits to the settings, and the game is sped up a bit more than normal. Animations, etc. When I delete, the game is on normal speed. Not FPS, mine is always locked at 30fps.

Anyone having these issues?

M cpu is a Intel g620, EVGA 550 ti, 4GB ram on Win7. Maybe I just need to upgrade processor for this game.

No one has these issues?

Ridley327

I've actually noticed it taking a little bit extra to load up if my 360 controller is turned on before it boots, so that's why I leave it off until then.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Do you spend much on upgrading multiple sets of armor? I've been sticking mostly with the Elite set and hadn't thought about switching out. Titanite isn't exactly hard to come by so I could upgrade other sets pretty easily if I wanted to.

Also, what's a good next step for upgrading weapons? Should I go divine ascension for the Zweihander? Can I remove that later? I kind of wouldn't mind going lightning later but am a little unclear on that. Any good one handed weapons outside of the Drake Sword that I should on the look out for?

Grief.exe

Thanks for the tips, guys! Do you spend much on upgrading multiple sets of armor? I've been sticking mostly with the Elite set and hadn't thought about switching out. Titanite isn't exactly hard to come by so I could upgrade other sets pretty easily if I wanted to.

Also, what's a good next step for upgrading weapons? Should I go divine ascension for the Zweihander? Can I remove that later? I kind of wouldn't mind going lightning later but am a little unclear on that. Any good one handed weapons outside of the Drake Sword that I should on the look out for?

What levels are your strength and dex?

Are you going for an int or faith build?

Grief.exe

25 STR
14 DEX

Faith build more than likely. I've already got a few points into it (it's at 15).

Mostly been focusing on VIT, END and STR.

Zwei is good then, you can look at Claymore, Man Serpeant Greatsword, Large Club, or Great Club for really good strength weapons.

You probably want to focus on Faith up to 30 for Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade and focus on End and Vit for the rest of your playthrough.

Zwei is good then, you can look at Claymore, Man Serpeant Greatsword, Large Club, or Great Club for really good strength weapons.

You probably want to focus on Faith up to 30 for Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade and focus on End and Vit for the rest of your playthrough.

I've never done any kind of a faith build yet, myself. I started one, then kinda gave up once I realized that using soul arrow is REALLY boring. BUT, that's right, there's other perks to faith build like these spells, and I should definitely try it.

So how widespread is cheating in multiplayer, do you think?

TBH, at first it was rampant, but it seems that majority of people who were trolling with trainers would have gotta bored and quit by now. In my experience, at first it was everywhere, but it isn't so bad now. Maybe I've just been lucky though.

Pyrrhus

I ask because I was sending R2, double-handed strikes with a Zweihander through a phantom's body and they were just backflipping away. I don't know whether that was netcode jank or cheating.

jns

I've never done any kind of a faith build yet, myself. I started one, then kinda gave up once I realized that using soul arrow is REALLY boring. BUT, that's right, there's other perks to faith build like these spells, and I should definitely try it.

Souls arrow is a magic spell, not faith. The magic and faith trees are very different imo, but can co-exist well if you want to level up to around 125-130

Souls arrow is a magic spell, not faith. The magic and faith trees are very different imo, but can co-exist well if you want to level up to around 125-130

Yes a little ignorance on my part, but I've assumed that most builds that use faith use intelligence in the same relation to how strength and dexterity are linked. But my experience with that route is very limited and like I mentioned, I haven't really given that route a fair shot.

I'll sink a few more hours into that character, I got to Anor Londo with it, beat O&S, and heading into the archives, but just not feeling it.

The magic and faith trees are very different imo, but can co-exist well if you want to level up to around 125-130

56. Or 72 if you want 50 int.

Some short example vids at SL72:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhqRuMWCaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHrkIsbZKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUs_0-aWkdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YHd9Mek6K0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92kSZZ2IGb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4iNVpHV_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtwDoh6kE0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OrziOLpK8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7A1LdKSUlE

TWoP and WoG are pretty much required though.

[edit:]

Nobody uses faith/int hybrid builds. It doesn't make sense.

*facepalm*

Yes a little ignorance on my part, but I've assumed that most builds that use faith use intelligence in the same relation to how strength and dexterity are linked. But my experience with that route is very limited and like I mentioned, I haven't really given that route a fair shot.

I'll sink a few more hours into that character, I got to Anor Londo with it, beat O&S, and heading into the archives, but just not feeling it.
Nobody uses faith/int hybrid builds. It doesn't make sense.

Common builds are quality (27 str/40 dex), pure strength, dex/faith, and pure int.

I think dex/faith (40/40) is the most versatile, followed by quality/pyro.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm lvl 80, and working on the last of the 4 lords. I don't think I want to level up anymore, but what do I spend my souls on?

Consumables or crafting materials! Buy a bunch of twinkling titanite, for example.

wutwutwut

I'm doing a dex-oriented build, and I have int at 15 to use Great Magic Weapon (which is awesome). It's not worth putting in 10 more points to use CMW, is it?

HiiiLife

Just did co op with a couple random players. Fun as hell.

Fought the Gargoyle everyone was talking about. Only thing is that I was a white phantom being summoned into their world so I'm still gonna have to fight it sometime. Lol.

But at least I got the idea of how the fight plays out.

I'm doing a dex-oriented build, and I have int at 15 to use Great Magic Weapon (which is awesome). It's not worth putting in 10 more points to use CMW, is it?

My first build with a significant amount of dex ended up being shored up with int. Being an agile caster w/+15 dex weapons works really well.

CMW alone is pretty brutal on faster weapons.

2AdEPT

Master Key exists almost entirely to sequence break or skip content, I don't suggest it for your first run through of the game.

Where is it written what order you are supposed to do the game in? Last I checked, other than ring two bells before sens onward, and four lordvessel bosses before Gwyn....THERE is NO ORDer!!!

Sorry for harping on this, but every time you give this advice to people you are projecting an image of the game other than what was intended by the developers, and it is not very good advice IMO. Do the order in whatever way you see fit and I HIGHly recommend the master key as gift and HIGHLY recommend using it to do whatever order you feel like!!!!

Perhaps i am off on this but the developers said they made the open world based on fan response from demon's souls. I was one of the fans supporting the idea that there best be less order and more open world exploratory based progression...the developers did as much with Dark and the fans like me rejoiced.

Each to the their own, but other than listed above there is no sequence to break what-so-ever. I would re-start if I didn't relaize this and didn't take the master key for whatever reason.....although interestingly, you can still do any order (within the above parameters) without the master key regardless...so much for order.

Nice strategy with the firebombs.

I'm getting wrecked by O&S on my deprived run, as expected. Maybe I'll do something else like kill Sif for now...

Black Firebombs are OP. I'm going to whore them out on my SL1 play-through, but shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!

Anyways, yeah man, take a break, stretch out and try something else, and have at it again with a fresh perspective.

jns

Yeah, you can absolutly do it sooner (nice vids) but I like to put a bit into str/dex to get some nice scaling happening when i cast sunlight sword.

I try to stay away from TWoP and WoG now days after the console fest (but I will have them in rotation just in case sometimes :)

Top Bottom