• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

yup, when all else fails and you just wanna get on with the game, turn human and summon some help.

it really is easy-mode. when I killed o&s last time I grabbed solaire, then summoned a guy who was right outside the fog gate. sadly he didn't make it to the end of the fight; pretty sure that wasn't my fault, but I felt pretty terrible until the victory message cleansed my mind of any remaining guilt.

ArynCrinn

Banned
feH8a.jpg

Holy glitches Batman! Never seen this before, anybody else? I've already killed Gywndolin by the way...

Runs really well on the laptop btw, @1280x720 at least.

NBtoaster

Four Kings NG+ :(

Can get down to half health with sunlight blade and darkmoon blade (on obsidian greatsword), and Beatrice, but she is useless.

Is there a better weapon to buff for someone with about 40 strength and 30 dex?

arit

Can get down to half health with sunlight blade and darkmoon blade (on obsidian greatsword), and Beatrice, but she is useless.

You might want to try it solo, since they gain health (and other buffs?) when not faced alone and since she is useless, why grant them that?

jns

Try great magic barrier if you have it, or even the normal one will help a lot.

Haunted

You can summon Beatrice for Four Kings? I didn't know that.

LiK

correct, I heard the summon is useless and she adds HP to the boss so not worth it.

Tex117

Banned
Where is it written what order you are supposed to do the game in? Last I checked, other than ring two bells before sens onward, and four lordvessel bosses before Gwyn....THERE is NO ORDer!!!

Sorry for harping on this, but every time you give this advice to people you are projecting an image of the game other than what was intended by the developers, and it is not very good advice IMO. Do the order in whatever way you see fit and I HIGHly recommend the master key as gift and HIGHLY recommend using it to do whatever order you feel like!!!!

Perhaps i am off on this but the developers said they made the open world based on fan response from demon's souls. I was one of the fans supporting the idea that there best be less order and more open world exploratory based progression...the developers did as much with Dark and the fans like me rejoiced.

Each to the their own, but other than listed above there is no sequence to break what-so-ever. I would re-start if I didn't relaize this and didn't take the master key for whatever reason.....although interestingly, you can still do any order (within the above parameters) without the master key regardless...so much for order.

Actually, the developer recommended NOT taking the master key for your first playthrough.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
Just made an Uchigatana +15

On NG++, just beat Four Kings so easily with this + Power Within and Charcoal Pine Resin. It made them a joke, feels bad being this powerful :(

There is no 'right order' to play the game. Play how you want, in whatever order you want. Yes, there is a bit of a 'logical progression that is easy for your first play through', but no need to stick to that.

I finally gathered the stuff to make the Abyss Greatsword only to find out that it requires you to have Int and Faith levels up to 18 to use the weapon effectively and my character is a melee build exclusively. sigh.

JeTmAn81

yup, when all else fails and you just wanna get on with the game, turn human and summon some help.

Yeah, that always helps. Except when you get invaded over and over on your way to the summons signs/boss area and instantly backstabbed.

I finally gathered the stuff to make the Abyss Greatsword only to find out that it requires you to have Int and Faith levels up to 18 to use the weapon effectively and my character is a melee build exclusively. sigh.

the crime here is that his weapons arent that great. especially when you factor in his high stat requirements. I have a character made to use his gear specifically and it's rad (look at my name) but there are clearly better weapons.

Though it does parallel the iffy nature of the "legend" to the character, which is well played if done on purpose. (vague on purpose to avoid spoilers)

Grief.exe

the crime here is that his weapons arent that great. especially when you factor in his high stat requirements. I have a character made to use his gear specifically and it's rad (look at my name) but there are clearly better weapons.

Though it does parallel the iffy nature of the "legend" to the character, which is well played if done on purpose. (vague on purpose to avoid spoilers)

The dlc is so cool from a gameplay perspective, but also for lore.

Really sheds a lot of light on Dark, and why the gods fear humans so much.

Thrakier

Oh my god, o rnsteig and smough, duo of despair. :( Any tips? Where can I summon if I need to? I can bring ornstein down to the last 1/3 but then there is just dead left for me. :(

Taruranto

Been invading
Lost Izalith
recently, got a lot of successful invasions there.

And a lot of "Master of the world" disconnected too...

Oh my god, o rnsteig and smough, duo of despair. :( Any tips? Where can I summon if I need to? I can bring ornstein down to the last 1/3 but then there is just dead left for me. :(

Put your summon sign close to the bonfire where you entered the church, help some people out beat them and then call someone up in the same room.

I helped 2 people out and the third time I summoned someone to help me in my world and beat them in one try.

EasyMode

Summon signs are usually near the bonfire.
You can also summon Solaire in the big hall where those giant sentinels are. His sign is on the stairs near the silver knight shooting arrows.

Ornstein is weak to fire and Smough is weak to lightning. The second part of the fight is easier if you kill Ornstein first since Smough is slower and easier to react to.

Ridley327

Solaire can be summoned on the staircase that's by the archer in that room. Otherwise, there tends to be a lot of summon signs that pop up right by the door.

Anteater

Use the pillars, fat dude is slow so you could just use pillars as cover, the pillars will stop the fat dude from reaching you, while skinny dude will be dumb and charges you so you could block/dodge and get a few hits before fat guy gets to you, rinse and repeat.

It's up to you who you want to kill first though, played through it a few times and I didn't find them to be that different other than fat guy dies faster because I use a lightning katana.

Thrakier

Solaire can be summoned on the staircase that's by the archer in that room. Otherwise, there tends to be a lot of summon signs that pop up right by the door.

The problem though is that their are quite some enemies in the way. If I fight them I already drank some of my estus which I deserately need for the fight. :( Ornstein reacts to my super fireball very well, but I have only 4 of them and that's not enough to kill him. My Falchion +10 barely does any damage to him. :(

How do I put my own summon sign somewhere?

Sullichin

The problem though is that their are quite some enemies in the way. If I fight them I already drank some of my estus which I deserately need for the fight. :( Ornstein reacts to my super fireball very well, but I have only 4 of them and that's not enough to kill him. My Falchion +10 barely does any damage to him. :(

If you don't have the right of kindling, I'd suggest getting that
by defeating the extremely easy boss of the catacombs
and then coming back, and kindling the bonfire up to 20 estus flasks. Buy some gold pine resin and use it on your falchion. Always have the camera facing them and back away from their attacks, using the pillars to your advantage.

Ridley327

Use the White Soapstone to drop down your summoning sign. Keep in mind, though, that progress is only saved for the host and not the phantom, so while you'll get souls and humanity for defeating the boss, it won't show up as you defeating them in your own game.

Anteater

You could just skip the enemies on the way if you enter from the main entrance, just dash and run past them, they don't follow you through the fog gate :p

Thrakier

You could just skip the enemies on the way if you enter from the main entrance, just dash and run past them, they don't follow you through the fog gate :p

Yeah I could but that makes summoning a bit harder. ;)

Use the White Soapstone to drop down your summoning sign. Keep in mind, though, that progress is only saved for the host and not the phantom, so while you'll get souls and humanity for defeating the boss, it won't show up as you defeating them in your own game.

OK I guess I'll try that.

If you still have Quelaag's soul and some demon titanite, you can upgrade that falchion to Quelaag's Furysword at the giant blacksmith.

I own that, yeah. I saw the upgrade option but I didn't bother because damage would go down to 80 or even 60, I don't remember. But it's still better?

EDIT:

I think I can kindle a bonfire, yeah.

EasyMode

I own that, yeah. I saw the upgrade option but I didn't bother because damage would go down to 80 or even 60, I don't remember. But it's still better?

The only reason it would go down is if you don't meet the required stats to wield it. It needs at least 11 Strength and 13 Dexterity. If you meet that it will do a lot more damage than the falchion and you can upgade it to +5 depending on how much demon titanite you have.

Grief.exe

The only reason it would go down is if you don't meet the required stats to wield it. It needs at least 11 Strength and 13 Dexterity. If you meet that it will do a lot more damage than the falchion and you can upgade it to +5 depending on how much demon titanite you have.

He's looking at just the physical damage, not taking the fire damage into account, which is something like 200.

todahawk

For O&R I focused on one at a time. For the second part of the fight I used dung. It took about 4-5 pieces to make one of them toxic then I played a bit more defensively.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I am getting wrecked by
Manus
, the final(?) boss in the DLC area, holy shit. I took on Super Ornstein with a Silver Shield and an un-upgraded Fury sword and barely took a hit. I can't last a minute with this dude for some reason.

Do you get anything from cutting his tail?

Oh, I see? The game really isn't very good at explaining itself. :( Is Queelags Sword good for DEX builds though?

It is probably the best dex weapon if you can keep about 10 humanity on you. Maxed out and with 10 humanity and 40 dex it should do about 500 damage. For regular dark souls it is an amazing weapon, but i think it is weaker in the new content due to resistances.

Durante

I try to avoid spoilers (even gameplay "spoilers") and thus the wiki during my first playthrough, but now I'm ready to invest a lot of materials into upgrading a weapon. So I want to make sure: what's a good weapon for upgrading that is (a) readily available mid-game and (b) suitable for a pure int build?
I'm currently thinking of simply going with a enchanted shortsword. (I like the moveset)
Is this a terrible idea?

I am getting wrecked by
Manus
(final(?) boss in the DLC area), holy shit.

As with most bosses make sure you have a high stability shield and just stay right on his left side. Wait out his attack strings then get a one or two hits in. Summon if you need to, but i didn't find it made much difference.

For the merchant in Undead Burg, if I kill him, anything I'm really missing out on? I've beaten the game before, but I'm going to pick up the PC version today and give it another playthrough, and I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

I try to avoid spoilers (even gameplay "spoilers") and thus the wiki during my first playthrough, but now I'm ready to invest a lot of materials into upgrading a weapon. So I want to make sure: what's a good weapon for upgrading that is (a) readily available mid-game and (b) suitable for a pure int build?
I'm currently thinking of simply going with a enchanted shortsword. (I like the moveset)
Is this a terrible idea?

As a pure int build do you even need a regular melee weapon? I think the tin catalyst is available mid game and can be used as a weapon, but i think it might cut down on your sorceries.

For a single playthrough enchanted weapons will work ok as you shouldn't be to bothered by the scaling. But you could also just get a weapon to 15 then use magic weapon on it. Most swords though are dex or str based, faith as well in a few cases.

Top Bottom