• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
As with most bosses make sure you have a high stability shield and just stay right on his left side. Wait out his attack strings then get a one or two hits in. Summon if you need to, but i didn't find it made much difference.

Yeah, I figured it was a matter of just learning the patterns properly. I have a preference for dodging, rather than standing strong with a shield, so I'll try that. It's just been a while since I've been so thoroughly smacked down by any baddie in this game. Even the first two bosses in the DLC area were pretty easy to read and dodge. Something about this one just seems to catch me every time.

Ridley327

For the merchant in Undead Burg, if I kill him, anything I'm really missing out on? I've beaten the game before, but I'm going to pick up the PC version today and give it another playthrough, and I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Being able to readily purchase Lloyd's Talismans or getting the Bottomless Box early? I dunno, he's certainly not the most essential merchant out there, and his weapon drop is awfully nice for builds focusing on DEX.

Midou

For the merchant in Undead Burg, if I kill him, anything I'm really missing out on? I've beaten the game before, but I'm going to pick up the PC version today and give it another playthrough, and I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

He drops all the important items when you kill him, including the message stone and key to free the mage. The katana is a pretty sweet deal too.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

He used to be one of the few easy sources of buying arrows. With the patches though, there's a lot of places to buy arrows now, including all of the blacksmiths I believe.

I killed him on this run once I found Andre. I wanted that Uchigatana, man.

SJRB

Gold Member
He used to be one of the few easy sources of buying arrows. With the patches though, there's a lot of places to buy arrows now, including all of the blacksmiths I believe.

I killed him on this run once I found Andre. I wanted that Uchigatana, man.

His katana is worth killing him over? Only if I go for a high dex does it deal adequate damage though, right?

His katana is worth killing him over? Only if I go for a high dex does it deal adequate damage though, right?

Yea, I'm going for a dex (and katana) build and I want to use it for the whole game. I don't know that it is worth doing early for a first time player.

Thanks for the other responses. I think I was remembering about the arrows and forgot that the patch fixed that.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I try to avoid spoilers (even gameplay "spoilers") and thus the wiki during my first playthrough, but now I'm ready to invest a lot of materials into upgrading a weapon. So I want to make sure: what's a good weapon for upgrading that is (a) readily available mid-game and (b) suitable for a pure int build?
I'm currently thinking of simply going with a enchanted shortsword. (I like the moveset)
Is this a terrible idea?

Once you upgrade a weapon down the magic/enchanted paths, their stat scaling tends to shift to INT anyway, so just pick the weapon(s) you like playing with. If you want to max out your potential damage output, you tend to get slightly better results via INT-scaling with Magic +10 weapons than Enchanted +5 weapons IIRC.

Anteater

Interesting, I can't find my souls to recover, I dash jumped over fence for fun and fell down a flight of stairs and died, I thought it would be faster. I wish this game keeps track of my death counts, I've probably fell to my death a hundred times.

Edit: oh found it, it's in some stupid corridor, haha

Durante

Once you upgrade a weapon down the magic/enchanted paths, their stat scaling tends to shift to INT anyway, so just pick the weapon(s) you like playing with. If you want to max out your potential damage output, you tend to get slightly better results via INT-scaling with Magic +10 weapons than Enchanted +5 weapons IIRC.
Really? I assumed that at high INT Enchanted would be better than Magic.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

As always, it depends on your build/playstyle. I'm doing a dex/int build at the moment with a +15 Uchigatana and a Magic +10 Iaito in the off hand for the fun of it, with light armor and the Dark Wood Grain Ring. It's not something I'd recommend for first time players though.

I mean, between that and the low VIT, that's precisely why the boss I was grousing about earlier is getting one-shot kills on me.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Really? I assumed that at high INT Enchanted would be better than Magic.

With magic/enchanted weapons, your damage per swing is split between physical and magical damage. With Enchanted weapons the balance is shifted a little more toward the magical than the physical. With Magic weapons, it's balanced more towards the physical.

Your combined damage output tends to be slightly higher with Magic weapons.

Taruranto

I try to avoid spoilers (even gameplay "spoilers") and thus the wiki during my first playthrough, but now I'm ready to invest a lot of materials into upgrading a weapon. So I want to make sure: what's a good weapon for upgrading that is (a) readily available mid-game and (b) suitable for a pure int build?
I'm currently thinking of simply going with a enchanted shortsword. (I like the moveset)
Is this a terrible idea?

The
Moonlight Greatsword
is what are you looking for. You may want to check the wiki for how to get it because it is 1) missable 2) a little tricky to get.

Thrakier

It is probably the best dex weapon if you can keep about 10 humanity on you. Maxed out and with 10 humanity and 40 dex it should do about 500 damage. For regular dark souls it is an amazing weapon, but i think it is weaker in the new content due to resistances.

I just have to have them in the inventory? Where is that explained? LOL That's so weird. o_O

JeTmAn81

The problem though is that their are quite some enemies in the way. If I fight them I already drank some of my estus which I deserately need for the fight. :( Ornstein reacts to my super fireball very well, but I have only 4 of them and that's not enough to kill him. My Falchion +10 barely does any damage to him. :(

How do I put my own summon sign somewhere?

I had a tough time getting summons for that fight. When I tried to get real people, I'd just get invaded and killed much quicker than I could summon allies. When I summoned Solaire, he didn't even make it into the boss room with me.

So I ended up doing that fight solo. I arrived at a basic strategy of locking onto Ornstein so I knew where he was, but at the same time really focusing on keeping a pillar between me and Smough so as to nullify his huge swings. You still need to keep track of Ornstein as well but his stuff doesn't really stagger you like Smough, so Smough's the one to watch out for.

I used my upgraded pyro glove to dump damage into Ornstein once I got him to swing at me (otherwise he'd just dodge my slow flame throwing) and kept moving throughout the entire room, weaving through the various pillars, to keep from getting cornered. Once Ornstein was dead, I kept Smough at the other side of a pillar at all times, moved closed to bait his moves, and pretty much only attacked him when he did his straightforward hammer slam down in front of them, because that one has no unpredictable followups. To attack him, I timed it to start running at him as soon as I could safely do so, get close enough to do a dashing attack, then back off and start the whole process over again.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I just have to have them in the inventory? Where is that explained? LOL That's so weird. o_O

No, you have to use them, so that your Humanity stat (that big number on the top-left) goes up. As in, you will be in danger of losing that humanity along with your souls when you die.

Also, increasing your Humanity stat gives you better item drop rates, and IIRC, they increased the Humanity scaling so that it might be worthwhile to hold up to 20 Humanity now.

Thrakier

No, you have to use them, so that your Humanity stat (that big number on the top-left) goes up. As in, you will be in danger of losing that humanity along with your souls when you die.

Also, increasing your Humanity stat gives you better item drop rates, and IIRC, they increased the Humanity scaling so that it might be worthwhile to hold up to 20 Humanity now.

Oh...I'll loose them within seconds then. Not worth it.

krakov

It is probably the best dex weapon if you can keep about 10 humanity on you. Maxed out and with 10 humanity and 40 dex it should do about 500 damage. For regular dark souls it is an amazing weapon, but i think it is weaker in the new content due to resistances.

It's a decent weapon at best even in the console version. I would rather use a falchion +15.

Tilian

Banned
People's thoughts and experiences on red phantom-blue phantom relationships?

I've been invading Darkroot Garden, and meet up with a number of blue phantoms. I don't like to interfere, and wait until their duel with the host is over before I take my shot.

However, a number of times blue will stop and turn on me mid-duel while I'm watching. I assume it's because red phantoms have a bad rep, that covenanters are truly protective of their turf, or that it just means potentially more souls. Dunno.

Not upset--I just find it interesting how different "rules" play out when 3 people meet up.

Is this a terrible idea?
Magic weapons for moderate Int, and Enchanted for high Int. I used an Magic/Enchanted Claymore for a while, but really, you're probably going to want either one of 2 weapons: Moonlight Greatsword or the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. MLGS only needs 16 Str to one hand it, less if you 2H and the MBH only needs 12 Str to 1H. You can make the MBH
once you reach the blacksmith Anor Londo using a +10 spear and the moonlight butterfly soul
and the MLGS is available
in the Crystal Caves from Seath's tail a bit after that.
If you don't want to read specific spoilers, then I'll just say that they can be gotten around mid-game.

As far as weapons to use before you build and upgrade either of those, I'm not too sure since I went straight for the Claymore.

If the game came with all the enhancements that Durante has made to it, I would have no trouble saying that it should be (or at least I would pay ) way more money than what is worth right now, its such a refreshing, rewarding and special experience.

Im not done with the game yet and Im already foaming at the mouth for a sequel.

Durante

Magic weapons for moderate Int, and Enchanted for high Int. I used an Magic/Enchanted Claymore for a while, but really, you're probably going to want either one of 2 weapons: Moonlight Greatsword or the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. MLGS only needs 16 Str to one hand it, less if you 2H and the MBH only needs 12 Str to 1H. You can make the MBH
once you reach the blacksmith Anor Londo using a +10 spear and the moonlight butterfly soul
and the MLGS is available
in the Crystal Caves from Seath's tail a bit after that.
If you don't want to read specific spoilers, then I'll just say that they can be gotten around mid-game.

As far as weapons to use before you build and upgrade either of those, I'm not too sure since I went straight for the Claymore.
Thanks! I think I'll stick with my plan of making an enchanted shortsword for now, and then upgrade to the MBH at some point. It uses completely different upgrade items anyway.

I've been invading Darkroot Garden, and meet up with a number of blue phantoms. I don't like to interfere, and wait until their duel with the host is over before I take my shot.

However, a number of times blue will stop and turn on me mid-duel while I'm watching. I assume it's because red phantoms have a bad rep, that covenanters are truly protective of their turf, or that it just means potentially more souls. Dunno.

Not upset--I just find it interesting how different "rules" play out when 3 people meet up.
As a forest hunter, I consider it my duty to kill everything and everyone who enters the woods (or at least die trying :p). It's RP man!

Thrakier

That huge ass dick in the one room in Anor Londo (same as before the forest), wtf, wall collision from software, ever heard of it? I was standy way outstide of this room and he still hit me. Got to be kidding me.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I am getting wrecked by
Manus
, the final(?) boss in the DLC area, holy shit. I took on Super Ornstein with a Silver Shield and an un-upgraded Fury sword and barely took a hit. I can't last a minute with this dude for some reason.

Do you get anything from cutting his tail?

Tail doesn't come off. You can try and try and try to make it, but it ain't never going to part company with his rump.

And oh lord, how I tried to make it come off.

Tilian

Banned
As a forest hunter, I consider it my duty to kill everything and everyone who enters the woods (or at least die trying :p). It's RP man!

That's what I figured. One blue phantom followed me around searching for the host. I thought we were looking together, until I stopped, and he backstabbed. I then realized he had been chasing me the whole time!

And for the 1000th time, thank you for all your hard work. Payday is this Friday, and I aim to send a little your way.

Anteater

The weird thing is, as the situation is with Souls game, From Software can even sell this as an "feature". Every other game would get tons of shit for it. Ninja Gaiden guys would explode.

I'm not sure if that's a feature lol, it's just one of the rules you have to learn through trial and error or reading on the web.

TheExodu5

Banned
The weird thing is, as the situation is with Souls game, From Software can even sell this as an "feature". Every other game would get tons of shit for it. Ninja Gaiden guys would explode.

You actually need to attack an enemy through a door at one point of the game
prison cell in The Duke's Archives
, so it kind of is a feature. D:

Anteater

You actually need to attack an enemy through a door at one point of the game
prison cell in The Duke's Archives
, so it kind of is a feature. D:

That was bullshit for me
because it took me a while to see that dude, lol, but to be fair it's not really a wall, you could kill the rats through bars in the depths too.

SJRB

Gold Member
So how is this version doing, sales-wise? I run into soapstone messages, but I hardly ever run into "phantoms" of other players.

Sitting at a bonfire and seeing other players briefly light up is one of the highlights of the game for me. Especially in goddamn Blighttown. Feels so good to know I'm not alone out there. The upper Blighttown bonfire is an amazing setpiece.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

Perhaps true to their covenant's reputation, red invaders are almost invariably total pricks who seem to take joy in running train on underleveled and/or underequipped folk, which is why I take great joy in double- and triple-teaming any red phantoms I encounter.

That was bullshit for me
because it took me a while to see that dude, lol, but to be fair it's not really a wall, you could kill the rats through bars in the depths too.
Also some of the
Silver Knights in Anor Londo standing behind walls and the Hollow Thiefs that burst out of the doors in Lower Undead Burg
can all be hit through walls - it is a feature! :D

Taruranto

It mostly depends on the context.

When i'm invading
Dark Anor Londo
with my Darkmoon and i see a Red Phantom i tend to try to team-up with them, though i got backstabbed a couple of times because of that, ahah.

Other situations, it just depends on my humor. Though with my Darkwraith-mage i accidentally oneshot blue phantoms most of the times with Pursuers. :p

Grief.exe

So how is this version doing, sales-wise? I run into soapstone messages, but I hardly ever run into "phantoms" of other players.

Sitting at a bonfire and seeing other players briefly light up is one of the highlights of the game for me. Especially in goddamn Blighttown. Feels so good to know I'm not alone out there. The upper Blighttown bonfire is an amazing setpiece.

I think it has done pretty well sales wise. It was in the top 2-3 sellers on Steam for the better part of a month, in the top 10-15 most played games for that period as well. Now its about 10-15 sellers and 15-20 most played. And the game isn't even steamworks, so thats not an accurate representation of the entire playerbase.

Would like to hear an official statement from From or Namco. After playing this, I'd really like to see the sequel on PC, I couldn't live without it.

As for seeing the phantoms, make sure you open up port 3074, have Unp enabled, and Nat open all on your router settings.

EDIT: It will be crazy after its first sale as well. I'm sure a lot of people are still on the fence after all the bad word of mouth before release. I don't remember the exact stats that Gabe gave for games on a discount, its something like 200-300% profit. Keep in mind, not just sales. Profit.

EDIT2:
What about those sales? It's often been reported that Valve and its co-operating publishers take a loss on most sales that have drastic discounts, but Newell debunks that fact by stating in some cases, the revenue jump can increase to a factor of 40. "Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40."

source: http://techgage.com/news/gabe_newell_talks_about_the_effects_of_steam_sales/

Durante

Chameleon is the most amazing spell in the game, especially if you play as a human 100% of the time for aesthetic reasons :p

Today I outlasted 2 invaders in Sen's.

Edit:
Oh, and DS has continuously been in the Steam top 20 since it was released, so I imagine it was quite profitable.

todahawk

It gets better regarding humanity. I don't know where you're at in the game but there's a place where you can 'farm' humanity pretty easily. Any Chaos weapon/spell's damage scales with Humanity as well.

I went from not caring about it at all to understanding it helps drop rates, finding a place to farm it and having 70 humanity in my inventory and usually around 10 active unless i'm in a new area.

doomquake

I came back to da depthz

itlGOOY0K7fyB.jpg

Thrakier

Motherfuck I defeated O and S. I killed the thin guy at first and the fought the fat guy like a coward, using the pillars so that he couldn't attack me like he normally would and then ran in to him one strike at a time. I needed 30 minutes and he got me a few times in between. In the end I used all my healing stuff and was done to like one cm on the health bar, it was so tiny I almost couldn't see it, every hit would've been my certain death. I escaped his ass bomb thing attack two times in the end, I never managed to do it before, but the last two I was able to avoid, it was so fucking close, I couldn't believe it.

Now where do I get this coop stone? I don't own it.

Taruranto

I've been messing with the equipment a little, and i managed to work a INT/STR build somehow.

I'm curious to see how it will do in pvp, it should be at least funnier than just using Dark Beads...

I also get to use Chester's coat, hell yeah

A shame i can't use the bellowing dragoncrest ring though. :(

Ridley327

Motherfuck I defeated O and S. I killed the thin guy at first and the fought the fat guy like a coward, using the pillars so that he couldn't attack me like he normally would and then ran in to him one strike at a time. I needed 30 minutes and he got me a few times in between. In the end I used all my healing stuff and was done to like one cm on the health bar, it was so tiny I almost couldn't see it, every hit would've been my certain death. I escaped his ass bomb thing attack two times in the end, I never managed to do it before, but the last two I was able to avoid, it was so fucking close, I couldn't believe it.

Solaire gives it to you when you meet him for the first time, just before crossing the bridge where the Hellkite Dragon spawns.

jns

Congrats on besting fatty and skinny. The white soapstone is a gift from Solaire after you beat the Capra Demon. If you don't have it now, I'm really not sure where you will get it from. You can try and find him at the sunlight alter, which is conveniently located underneath the hellkite dragon on the bridge in the undead burg.

Thrakier

Congrats on besting fatty and skinny. The white soapstone is a gift from Solaire after you beat the Capra Demon. If you don't have it now, I'm really not sure where you will get it from. You can try and find him at the sunlight alter, which is conveniently located underneath the hellkite dragon on the bridge in the undead burg.

Where is it exactly? Where I met him first? He's not there where I met him first. So I'm fucked I guess, no coop for me. That really does suck.

jns

Where is it exactly? Where I met him first? He's not there where I met him first. So I'm fucked I guess, no coop for me. That really does suck.

You can still summon other people, just cant be summoned yourself. If he's not where you first met him, the bridge right next to it where you see the red dragon has a bonfire under it and a small courtyard with the sunlight alter. He can be found there as well. If you need tips to get past the dragon (its super easy once you know how) just let us know.

Thrakier

You can still summon other people, just cant be summoned yourself. If he's not where you first met him, the bridge right next to it where you see the red dragon has a bonfire under it and a small courtyard with the sunlight alter. He can be found there as well. If you need tips to get past the dragon (its super easy once you know how) just let us know.

I just ran beyond the dragon somehow, dont ask how. He's there, but only talking shit. He's not giving me the soapstone. May I kill him?

Top Bottom