• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Thrakier

Monstrous.

That's the games fault. It feels like I can take reveng on the devs for making it when I kill their creations!

So being summoned isn't exactly a fun job, isn't it? I waited like 10 minutes standing around in front of the capra demon entrance and...nothing happened.

Ridley327

That's the games fault. It feels like I can take reveng on the devs for making it when I kill their creations!

So being summoned isn't exactly a fun job, isn't it? I waited like 10 minutes standing around in front of the capra demon entrance and...nothing happened.

Perhaps you're overleveled for the player base that's currently going after the Capra Demon? Co-op works within a specific limit (±10 levels of the summoner + 15% of their current level). You would probably be better off placing it in front of O&S.

? You have to go the shortcut either way to get the maggot, it's only dropped there.

Can't you access it from the other side, though? I mean, you don't even need to actually open the door to be able to kill the bug that drops it, provided you have the right pyromancy.

Thrakier

Perhaps you're overleveled for the player base that's currently going after the Capra Demon? Co-op works within a specific limit (±10 levels of the summoner + 15% of their current level). You would probably be better off placing it in front of O&S.

Ah, I see. Probably. I'm around 45 I guess. Thanks for the advice, will try O&S. Damn, I wanted to meet Capra again. ;-^

NBtoaster

Can't you access it from the other side, though? I mean, you don't even need to actually open the door to be able to kill the bug that drops it, provided you have the right pyromancy.

Thought you were saying you would get the maggot by killing Solaire in the undead burg.

Johnas

I came back to da depthz

itlGOOY0K7fyB.jpg

Can you (or someone else) list those armor pieces? Looks good.

I think that's Ornstein's body armor there, but I'm not sure.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kalameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Give me your taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail.

I believe that's Ornstein's Armor with Giant's Helm and Black Leather Boots.

Haunted

Despite all of its flaws, the game just has a way of pulling you in like few other. Not surprised to see it happen to initially-skeptic Thrakier as well. :D

Thanks.

I see so many cool-looking combinations on here, but I can't ever seem to conjure up any fashion sense myself.
There are a lot of pieces in the game. Some of mine are:
Black knight set + Mask of Velka

Iron Helm, Eastern armor, knight leggings, cleric gauntlets

Velka Mask, witch robes, black manchet, black cleric legging

Silver knight set + steel helm

Darkwraith set + iron golem helm

Channeler set + giant helm

Johnas

When should I attempt to kill the Hellkite dragon?

I just killed him myself with a Scimitar +10 after killing O&S and then doing some optional areas. SL 50-something. Pretty easy at that point, probably took only 12 or 14 two-handed hits.

There are a lot of pieces in the game. Some of mine are:
Black knight set + Mask of Velka

Iron Helm, Eastern armor, knight leggings, cleric gauntlets

Velka Mask, witch robes, black manchet, black cleric legging

Silver knight set + steel helm

Darkwraith set + iron golem helm

Channeler set + giant helm

Nice, I just bookmarked your post so I can try these. Thanks.

willooi

When should I attempt to kill the Hellkite dragon?

Once I equipped Havel's Armour from Anor Londo, I found the fight much easier due to the overall resistances. Was getting burnt to a crisp without it.

Also recommended is equipping the Flame Stoneplate Ring from Sen's, and two handing a high damage weapon when he lands and ducking away in the underground area when he's flying = victory!

Thanks for the tips guys, I have almost all the weapons/gear recommended to try to beat him, its finally time to get my revenge for one hit killing me right after I was celebrating for having killed the Taurus Demon.

Just gotta get out of here first:

Thanks for the tips guys, I have almost all the weapons/gear recommended to try to beat him, its finally time to get my revenge for one hit killing me right after I was celebrating for having killed the Taurus Demon.

Just gotta get out of here first:

WTF!!!?!?! Nice resolution you got there, that's freaking crazy! Oh man, I ♥ Durante.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, quick question.

When I place the lordvessel, do I lose the ability to teleport between bonfires? I want to progress there, but I don't want want to risk losing teleportation because it's the MOST useful thing ever.

willooi

When I place the lordvessel, do I lose the ability to teleport between bonfires? I want to progress there, but I don't want want to risk losing teleportation because it's the MOST useful thing ever.

Nope, not at all. You'll still get to use it to teleport to that same list of bonfires

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'd like to get into PVP, and invading dudes sounds really interesting.

What's the best way to go about doing PVP. I'm guessing it's Darkwraith, but I'm not sure if I want to lose access to Frampt just to get the Red Eye Orb.

What is the best way for a player to get into PVP so I can have some fights with some people?

willooi

What's the best way to go about doing PVP. I'm guessing it's Darkwraith, but I'm not sure if I want to lose access to Frampt just to get the Red Eye Orb.

What is the best way for a player to get into PVP so I can have some fights with some people?

Joining the Forest Hunter covenant in Darkroot Garden or the Darkmoon Blades in Anor Londo - and always wearing their rings - will constantly get you PVP'ing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Joining the Forest Hunter covenant in Darkroot Garden or the Darkmoon Blades in Anor Londo - and always wearing their rings - will constantly get you PVP'ing.
I'd recommend against the Forest Hunter covenant. It's a lot of PVP, but you'll feel like you're getting farmed...

Tilian

Banned

In addition to the above suggestions, what you can also do is simply hang out in Darkroot Forest and let the invaders come to you. Being around SL30-40 I got invaded constantly (as in every few minutes). No covenant, no rings, no fuss.

I'd recommend against the Forest Hunter covenant. It's a lot of PVP, but you'll feel like you're getting farmed...
Yeah, I though the idea of the Forest covenant was really neat, but the execution and the resulting exploitation by high level players is somewhat disappointing.

UrbanRats

Dropped the old character (around sl50) and started a new one.
It's not like i feel confident with the game or anything, but with the old one i felt like i was going through the motions (pyro, drake, lighting spear etc etc) whereas this time i'm doing a pure dex build, uchi and parrying dagger.
No need to mention how i get fucked left and right, still i'm having fun like the first time on ps3.

You can warp, but you should keep it until you beat the New Londo Ruins.

2AdEPT

feH8a.jpg

Holy glitches Batman! Never seen this before, anybody else? I've already killed Gywndolin by the way...

Runs really well on the laptop btw, @1280x720 at least.
I received the soul of smough while trying to get summoned at the bonfire.
Actually, the developer recommended NOT taking the master key for your first playthrough.
BUt you realize that was because they WANT their game to be hard right? My point was that there is no "recommended" order like there was in Demon's....all owing to the equipment...it makes sense to get certain items...spice in 1.3 for magic users prior to doing 2.2 fro example. The master key IS recommended for noobs, not by FROM because they obviously HATED even giving the shitty gifts they begrudgingly conceded us....listening to an interview with director Mizgyaki (SP) reminded me of listening to the drill sgt. at basic training boot camp...the guy loves to see pain in others....therefore, despite me never hearing this from from, it actually does fit with what I have heard.

the reason master key helps not hinders anything is that you can get a wide range of equipment sooner...but this can be done without the key regardless as there are shortcuts all over (that are obviously not glitches but there by design.) Not to mention long cuts that enable you to get basically anywhere while only observing the bells first and lord-vessel boss ordering.

So I cringe every time a "linear" player for lack of a better term tries to impose their linear mind on a poor noob.
He's looking at just the physical damage, not taking the fire damage into account, which is something like 200.
it is also a chaos weaon so with 10 humanity int he ticker it will kick ass....has poor reach though and only one fun move (coming out of roll +R1.)
I try to avoid spoilers (even gameplay "spoilers") and thus the wiki during my first playthrough, but now I'm ready to invest a lot of materials into upgrading a weapon. So I want to make sure: what's a good weapon for upgrading that is (a) readily available mid-game and (b) suitable for a pure int build?
I'm currently thinking of simply going with a enchanted shortsword. (I like the moveset)
Is this a terrible idea?
NOt terrible....but there are at least 4 options for more interesting weapons with near if not identical move sets to the shortsword, and unfortunately magic and enchanted weapons suck so definitely do not bother with them much...later you can pick up a few that come already partially upgraded and are interesting for their moveset and other things...not their damage, but you will need a high damage weapon even as a magic user for certian things. Here are a few options similar to short sword:
Balder Side sword - best DPS in the game, a rare drop but can drop in the parish onward, better reach than shortsword - a glorious and elegant weapon.
Sunlight sword - Solaires sword
Barbed shortsword - same as short sword almost...but has barbs that cause bleed damage, semi-rare drop from NPC phantom (can be dropped early to mid or late game depending on your luck.)
Astora sword (but scales with faith not INT.)
You could even throw the Estoc in there as similar to short sword but it is obviously a cross between a rapier and a spear (can stab with it from behind a raised shield.) Available seconds from the start of the game in firelink.

My suggestion to you to hold you over, and eventually surpass even your horn or moonlight sword is to try to get one of these more interesting swords but if you can't find one, take your short sword to +15 and use magic weapon, great magic weapon, and eventually Crystal magic weapon buff...this is superior to magic/enchanting.....the two resistances that all enemies require you to go through means you can't just add up the damage listed to get a total...you will be amazed how low the maxed out magic and enchanted weapons actually register at (see the enemies health bar.) You can always use resins lightning and fire on your +15 weapons as well....not so with magic/enchanted!!!! you definitely have to try to get the MLGS though..even just to see its R2 one and two handed....you don't need 16 STR to two hand it......its the signature sword for all of FROM's games and there is even reference to it in the Armored core series. spoiler favourite sword for me is the
washing pole from a special covenant related vendor that can be acquired early if you use wiki
.....by far my favourite weapon in the game and with crystal magic weapon buff and +15 it really can not be beat for reach, moveset, DPS and damage all considered...plus it is modeled after a real sword in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

thanks so much for your work on the graphics etc.....PM anytime for whatever level of spoiler-free or otherwise hints or whatever anytime.

Hzoltan69

Has farming been nerfed in PTDE? I went to the Depths to farm some large titanite and humanity and got good drops for the first run, mediocre for the second and NONE for the following 5-6 runs. So I warped back to Firelink, did a run of New Londo then to the Depths again and the same thing happened.

Has farming been nerfed in PTDE? I went to the Depths to farm some large titanite and humanity and got good drops for the first run, mediocre for the second and NONE for the following 5-6 runs. So I warped back to Firelink, did a run of New Londo then to the Depths again and the same thing happened.

Random number generator is random. You just had a streaky run, I've been able to farm there for Titanite. Sometimes the dice screw you :p

Hzoltan69

Random number generator is random. You just had a streaky run, I've been able to farm there for Titanite. Sometimes the dice screw you :p

It was the same pattern both times. And having ZERO drops for 5-6 runs consequently seems to be anything but random.
Am I the only one who experienced this?

Thrakier

What do I do with those boss souls? Oh, also, the firekeeper is gone but I killed his murderer already. What do I do with the item I got from him?

Hzoltan69

What do I do with those boss souls? Oh, also, the firekeeper is gone but I killed his murderer already. What do I do with the item I got from him?

The giant blacksmith in Anor Londo can create boss weapons from them.

You can revive the firekeeper with the recovered soul. Be careful not to give it to someone else to reinforce your estus, becuse then you'll have no Firelink bonfire for this playthrough.

Thrakier

The giant blacksmith in Anor Londo can create boss weapons from them.

You can revive the firekeeper with the recovered soul. Be careful not to give it to someone else to reinforce your estus, becuse then you'll have no Firelink bonfire for this playthrough.

Well, too late I guess. God damn!

Hzoltan69

Not a big deal since there's another bonfire right next to Firelink Shrine (Kiln of the First Flame).

That will be available only very late in the game. Until then it is a big inconvenience running around without Firelink, but definitely not a gamebreaker. Undead Parish is less than a minute away for example - it only really matters if you want to do a lot of farming and stuff.

Thrakier

That will be available only very late in the game. Until then it is a big inconvenience running around without Firelink, but definitely not a gamebreaker. Undead Parish is less than a minute away for example - it only really matters if you want to do a lot of farming and stuff.

I want to do a lot of farming and stuff. :-/

Top Bottom