• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

That will be available only very late in the game. Until then it is a big inconvenience running around without Firelink, but definitely not a gamebreaker. Undead Parish is less than a minute away for example - it only really matters if you want to do a lot of farming and stuff.

Where would you be farming around firelink? You can still warp there, just not from there. The parish is a better home anyway as you are close to darkroot, the balder knights and andre. If you invested heavily in vit then the buff to estus is better than a live firekeeper. But, by games end i have killed all the firekeepers anyway, so i may be biased...

NBtoaster

I want to do a lot of farming and stuff. :-/

Are you sure it's gone? Can you not do anything at the grate where the firekeeper was?

Where would you be farming around firelink? You can still warp there, just not from there. The parish is a better home anyway as you are close to darkroot, the balder knights and andre. If you invested heavily in vit then the buff to estus is better than a live firekeeper. But, by games end i have killed all the firekeepers anyway, so i may be biased...

It will make New Londo a huge pain. Closest bonfire is Firelink until the second part, and then the darkroot basin but it's slow to get to the boss and harder to get past the drakes.

Thrakier

Yeah it's gone, I used it for +4 flasks. :(

I just had a weird fight vs. "ceaseless desease". I barely did damage because of my fire sword, I hit his hand a few times and suddenly "victory achieved". o_O Don't know what happened there. Anyway, am I supposed to venture on in the demons realm or should I go to Anor Londo first? The last thing I did was killing seth and before that O&S.

EDIT:

Btw, my Pyromancer is gone. :(

Haunted

That will be available only very late in the game. Until then it is a big inconvenience running around without Firelink, but definitely not a gamebreaker. Undead Parish is less than a minute away for example - it only really matters if you want to do a lot of farming and stuff.
? He said he has her soul, so he should have the Lordvessel as well. The place where you offer up the lord souls acts as a bonfire, and it's right next to Firelink.

NBtoaster

I just had a weird fight vs. "ceaseless desease". I barely did damage because of my fire sword, I hit his hand a few times and suddenly "victory achieved". o_O Don't know what happened there. Anyway, am I supposed to venture on in the demons realm or should I go to Anor Londo first? The last thing I did was killing seth and before that O&S.

EDIT:

You might want to try some optional areas. You could go to the painted world, back to the asylum or try the new content.

Your Pyromancer is in the blighttown swamp. There's a new better trainer there too.

EDIT:

Ceaseless can be beaten that way - in fact, i am pretty certain that is the way he is supposed to be beaten.

If you have placed the lords vessel and opened the gates then you can head down into the demon ruins. Prepare to revist some old friends though...

Is the pyro gone because you told him where the female pyromancer was?

Hzoltan69

Most importantly New Londo darkwraiths for chunks and slabs.

Anyway, I find myself warping to Firelink a lot, so if he can still warp there, then it's not all that bad - I just presumed it's not possible to warp to an unlit bonfire.

Zeliard

Anyway, I find myself warping to Firelink a lot, so if he can still warp there, then it's not all that bad - I just presumed it's not possible to warp to an unlit bonfire.

You can warp to an unlit bonfire, just not from one.

Ah, i see. I have never worried about getting multiple weapons to 15 so the two slabs you get in game were enough, and the last part of the game gives easy chunks in preparation for ng+. Can you not warp to the bonfire in darkroot than make a mad dash through valley of drakes? New londo just seems like an annoying place to farm because of the lack of bonfire anywhere near the darkwraiths.

You can still warp to unlit bonfires, just not from them.

Hzoltan69

Ah, i see. I have never worried about getting multiple weapons to 15 so the two slabs you get in game were enough, and the last part of the game gives easy chunks in preparation for ng+. Can you not warp to the bonfire in darkroot than make a mad dash through valley of drakes? New londo just seems like an annoying place to farm because of the lack of bonfire anywhere near the darkwraiths.

You can still warp to unlit bonfires, just not from them.

The Darkroot Basin bonfire is not warpable AFAIK, but it might actually be closer to New Londo than Firelink , so it's a viable option to farm from, but only if you can dash through the drakes (never tried).

ElFly

The Darkroot Basin bonfire is not warpable AFAIK, but it might actually be closer to New Londo than Firelink , so it's a viable option to farm from, but only if you can dash through the drakes (never tried).

You still have to ride an elevator from Darkroot Basin to Valley so I really doubt it is any faster.

e: oh I guess that if you already opened the door it is better. Still, drakes.

lol ok, I keep hearing how some people feel guilty for killing Sif, and im wondering if I missed something, as I could kill him right now but before now I havent seen him anywhere else.

Thrakier

Ceaseless can be beaten that way - in fact, i am pretty certain that is the way he is supposed to be beaten.

If you have placed the lords vessel and opened the gates then you can head down into the demon ruins. Prepare to revist some old friends though...

Is the pyro gone because you told him where the female pyromancer was?

Uhm, no. I didn't place the vessel. I wasn't at...well, the place where the ghosts are. I wasn't there.

Sullichin

Got my ass handed to me by O&S so many times on my deprived playthrough. I just suck at the first half of that fight apparently. It's very annoying when your weapon doesn't do much damage (club +10) and you can die so easily. One time I got super Smough down to 1/3 health and he one shot me. Then another time I get one shotted by Super Ornstein as soon as he appeared.

So I decided to kill ingward to get the very large ember early. It wasn't until I was beating his face in with a club that I remembered he sometimes doesn't drop the key to the seal on the PC version. Thankfully, he did. I think I'll have a slightly easier time with a +15 club. But first, it's off to kill the asylum demon.

Got my ass handed to me by O&S so many times on my deprived playthrough. I just suck at the first half of that fight apparently. It's very annoying when your weapon doesn't do much damage (club +10) and you can die so easily. One time I got super Smough down to 1/3 health and he one shot me. Then another time I get one shotted by Super Ornstein as soon as he appeared.

So I decided to kill ingward to get the very large ember early. It wasn't until I was beating his face in with a club that I remembered he sometimes doesn't drop the key to the seal on the PC version. Thankfully, he did. I think I'll have a slightly easier time with a +15 club. But first, it's off to kill the asylum demon.

That fight, in my opinion is the hardest in the standard game. If you can get through this, you got it. Just keep at it, and pace yourself.

just fought sif.

from, why? why do you make me do these things?

I watched ENB play not too long ago and he was speaking over it while fighting Sif...Sif was critical for like 2 minutes while he was talking and it was AWFUL...I literally had to skip ahead because it was hard to watch Sif fall over trying to swing and limp around, etc...ug...Sif, you're a hero.

Ridley327

So where to go next? I just placed the vessel and I'm around SL57.

It's pretty much up to you, really; I would personally recommend heading over to the Demon Ruins, which leads to Lost Izalith, so that you can get that done and over with. Depending on how far you've ranked up in the Chaos Servant covenant, you can actually avoid a big chunk of the Demon Ruins and make a beeline straight to the boss of Lost Izalith.

Thrakier

It's pretty much up to you, really; I would personally recommend heading over to the Demon Ruins, which leads to Lost Izalith, so that you can get that done and over with. Depending on how far you've ranked up in the Chaos Servant covenant, you can actually avoid a big chunk of the Demon Ruins and make a beeline straight to the boss of Lost Izalith.

How do I see how far I ranked up as Chaos servant? And where are the Demon Ruins? ;D This game...I know nothing despite playing it for 30 hours. :(

Ridley327

How do I see how far I ranked up as Chaos servant? And where are the Demon Ruins? ;D This game...I know nothing despite playing it for 30 hours. :(

Here's a general rule of thumb for any covenant that has a ranking system:

Rank 1: 10 of whatever item/action they want
Rank 2: 20 more of whatever item/action they want (30 total)
Rank 3: 50 more of whatever item/action they want (80 total)

For Chaos Servant, you end up doing everything you really need to do at Rank 2; you get the second unique pyromancy and the shortcut between Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith is accessible.

have you found the covenant? if you find and join it your level will be listed on your character's status screen. to advance it you need to feed like 30 humanities to be able to level up enough to access the shortcut.

Grief.exe

Really good video that covers the lore of the dlc and the abyss itself.

Huge spoilers if you haven't played the new content, but an amazing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d82kJlb5Us&feature=youtube_gdata_player

one thing that the video didn't really go into is when Elizabeth says, "Artorias has nary a murmur of Dark and will fall to the abyss." Its very interesting. Kind of alluding to how only humans can traverse the abyss, one of the reasons the gods fear them so much.

UrbanRats

Damn, i can't do the Capra alone with this build w/o shield.
I've been sitting on the little bridge for a while but no signs.
At least i didn't get invaded (yet).

Anyway i feel like i'm getting a bit better playing this way.

Ridley327

Quick question, can the DLC stuff be played in co op?

Also, what parts of the game are not available for Co op?

Yeah, co-op works in the DLC just fine.

I think that the only area in the game that doesn't have any ability for co-op or invasions is the Valley of Drakes, but since that's not really much of an area to begin with, it's not a particularly big deal.

EasyMode

Damn, i can't do the Capra alone with this build w/o shield.
I've been sitting on the little bridge for a while but no signs.
At least i didn't get invaded (yet).

Anyway i feel like i'm getting a bit better playing this way.

If blocking isn't an option, you can poise you way through with the Elite Knite Armor / Wolf Ring.

dsk1210

Dodge. Take advantage of the invincibility frames when you are rolling. Get that timing down!

I have been playing for over 100 hours between 3 different characters and have still not mastered the timing of the invincibility frames.

Still not completed the game yet either, I keep swapping between characters, I need to conclude one soon. :)

UrbanRats

Dodge. Take advantage of the invincibility frames when you are rolling. Get that timing down!

Yes, that's basically why i'm trying this build, to get better at anything but blocking and attacking afterwards, still, i'm kinda packed with goodies atm, i didn't want to try and experiment just now, with the Capra. :p
I think i'm gonna go back to the blacksmith to spend this cash on the Uchi and come back, since i barely see any messages on the ground anyway, must be deserted at this hour.
I think i could take the Capra fairly easily, but of course
the two dogs
make it a pain in the ass, especially since i'm not used to play this way.

EasyMode

Don't know if i have enough vitality for that, uhm.. i mean, considering i'd lose my fast movement.

Sorry, I should clarify. I meant tanking his opening attack if you don't have the shield stability to block it, but still blocking his other attacks. It's doable with low vitality, and the poise helps with the dogs.

Had Sif down to 20% health last night and died being careless. I got greedy with two hand swing from the Zweihander going in for the kill! AAAAARRRRGH!

Grief.exe

one thing that the video didn't really go into is when Elizabeth says, "Artorias has nary a murmur of Dark and will fall to the abyss." Its very interesting. Kind of alluding to how only humans can traverse the abyss, one of the reasons the gods fear them so much.

Bumping this to the next page so people can see it.

ElFly

Had Sif down to 20% health last night and died being careless. I got greedy with two hand swing from the Zweihander going in for the kill! AAAAARRRRGH!

This always happens to me. "hey I will recover enough stamina for the last two handed hit! oooh it dodged. ooooh I am dead"

The whole Artorias and Sif situation was really sad.

There is like an army of really huge ass armies. Are you sure I'm supposed to go there yet?

Hahaha, welcome to hell. You wanted to revist capra, right?! Yes, that is where you need to go - well, specifically you want to go right. Left you can pull them out one at a time and they don't respawn and there are some goodies that way.

rybrad

What is the best STR weapon I can get? I am in NG+ (just finished Anor Londo) and still love my Black Knight Greataxe but I am looking for some better damage if possible.

Thrakier

Hahaha, welcome to hell. You wanted to revist capra, right?! Yes, that is where you need to go - well, specifically you want to go right. Left you can pull them out one at a time and they don't respawn and there are some goodies that way.

The guy on the right side wasn't a problem. I don't stand a chance vs the other guys. Two of them are harder than boss fights and there is a whole army. I don't know what to do there. Can I go there later and do another part first and come back stronger?

Grief.exe

What is the best STR weapon I can get? I am in NG+ (just finished Anor Londo) and still love my Black Knight Greataxe but I am looking for some better damage if possible.

Man serpent great sword, large/great club, and demon machete all have A scaling.

The clubs and machete should do more damage then the bkga. Bkga's r1 got needed in ptde BTW.

Edit: don't sleep on the mace either.

Top Bottom