• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

The guy on the right side wasn't a problem. I don't stand a chance vs the other guys. Two of them are harder than boss fights and there is a whole army. I don't know what to do there. Can I go there later and do another part first and come back stronger?

Oh yes - they are optional. You actually want to come back after get a bit further into demon ruins anyway to get the items. Those guys are set up though in such a way that if you move forward in small increments you will pull them to you one at a time. They are pretty good practice though as you will face more and in tighter quarters.

Thrakier

Oh yes - they are optional. You actually want to come back after get a bit further into demon ruins anyway to get the items. Those guys are set up though in such a way that if you move forward in small increments you will pull them to you one at a time. They are pretty good practice though as you will face more and in tighter quarters.

I'm looking forward to it.
Fuck this game.

UrbanRats

I can't find a large titanite shard for the life of me (prior to queelag).
I must've missed the one in the Depths, but even still, i didn't remember them to be so rare. :\

Sullichin

I can't find a large titanite shard for the life of me (prior to queelag).
I must've missed the one in the Depths, but even still, i didn't remember them to be so rare. :\

There's one in the swamp right by where Quelanna would be. You can farm the leeches there too

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
There's one in the swamp right by where Quelanna would be. You can farm the leeches there too

I also recommend getting to the bonfire in the Depths and farming the large group of slimes that drop from the ceiling near the bonfire. That might be what UrbanRats was thinking about, as I don't think there's a Large Titanite Shard to grab in the Depths aside from farming the slimes.

zlatko

Banned
dark_souls_knight_sculpture_by_futantshadow-d4b8zat.jpg

I wish I had a thousand dollars to get one of these.

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone wanna trade some items with me to exchange achievements? I have almost all the reinforced weapon ones but I need an extra Sif soul, Priscilla's tail and Seath's tail to get the all rare weapon achievement. Obviously I will give you them right back, but my achievement whoring is getting in the way of me legitimately enjoying the game to the fullest extent right now lol.

Grief.exe

I noticed the demon machete rolling R1 does a thrust attack on both 1H and 2H move sets.

Would that be boosted by the Leo ring? I feel like that + power within will really shred through bosses.

I think I'm gonna take a slight break from dark souls and play some TL2 and CSS, the latter so my FPS skills don't degrade too much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fuck I'd buy an Artorias figurine.

I'D BUY IT SO HARD.

LiK

they made a few statues as a prize for a contest drawing during the console launch. never announced who won unless I missed it. they should sell them.

UrbanRats

I might do that, although the poisonous water is annoying so i tend to stay there as little as possible.
I also recommend getting to the bonfire in the Depths and farming the large group of slimes that drop from the ceiling near the bonfire. That might be what UrbanRats was thinking about, as I don't think there's a Large Titanite Shard to grab in the Depths aside from farming the slimes.
No there's one around the boss area, IIRC, but also The Depth's slimes are not the same as the Swamps' slugs, the latter drop Large titanite apparently, but i don't think the slimes do.

Haunted

I noticed the demon machete rolling R1 does a thrust attack on both 1H and 2H move sets.

Would that be boosted by the Leo ring? I feel like that + power within will really shred through bosses.

I think I'm gonna take a slight break from dark souls and play some TL2 and CSS, the latter so my FPS skills don't degrade too much.
Any thrust attack is boosted by the Leo ring, so I'd assume so.

Grief.exe

Any thrust attack is boosted by the Leo ring, so I'd assume so.

This is strange. I actually do less damage.

Without the Ring equipped, the rolling R1 does 551 damage
With the Ring equipped, the rolling R1 does 428 damage
With the Ring equipped and a counter attack, the rolling R1 does 750 damage.

I like triple checked this because it seems opposite, I thought it increases the damage by about 20% for Thrust attacks and then about 40% for counter attacks, which 750 is exactly 40% greater than 551.

Thrakier

Sometimes this game really is just shit. I defeated pinwheel with ease and then fell to death right after it in the tomb of giants. You can't see shit there, it's almost pure luck if you don't know where to go. Aaaaand...I'm starting all the way up in the catacombs again. Fuck it.

Whatever...Tomb of Giants. Should I go there? I just placed the vessel.

Ridley327

You should at least should have a Skull Lantern for that area, provided you killed the necromancers in the Catacombs. The Cast Light sorcery or the Sunlight Maggot would be better choices for light, though.

Grief.exe

Sometimes this game really is just shit. I defeated pinwheel with ease and then fell to death right after it in the tomb of giants. You can't see shit there, it's almost pure luck if you don't know where to go. Aaaaand...I'm starting all the way up in the catacombs again. Fuck it.

You need to get a light spell from Dusk of Oolacile if you have the Int, I think its 14.

Use the skull latern you got from one of the necros in Catacombs.

Or go to Lost Izalith and get the sunlight maggot, you can wear it on your head.

I think you personally are having the toughest time in this game possible. I'm surprised you haven't given up on this game and moved on.

EDIT: Beaten.

Anteater

You could find a lantern somewhere down there in a chest, but you'll need some patience if you want to make your way through without that light spell.

One of the dudes could drop the skull lantern in the catacombs, check your inventory to see if you already got one.

Thrakier

You need to get a light spell from Dusk of Oolacile if you have the Int, I think its 14.

Use the skull latern you got from one of the necros in Catacombs.

Or go to Lost Izalith and get the sunlight maggot, you can wear it on your head.

I think you personally are having the toughest time in this game possible. I'm surprised you haven't given up on this game and moved on to be honest.

EDIT: Beaten.

Why should I give up? Do you think I'm the only one dieing in this game? Don't give me this shit, please. I played through Demon's Souls just fine.

I don't know where Lost Izalith is.

OK, I got a couple of questions.

1. Ariamis:
If I don't fight the boss in the Painted World, can I come back and still get Humanity by killing enemies there?

2. At completely random points in the game I sometimes hear a weird sound and I magically get one more Estus flask. What is that about?

Ridley327

OK, I got a couple of questions.

1. Ariamis:
If I don't fight the boss in the Painted World, can I come back and still get Humanity by killing enemies there?

2. At completely random points in the game I sometimes hear a weird sound and I magically get one more Estus flask. What is that about?

1. You can go back, but there are far, far, far better places to farm humanity.

2. Someone in that area has kindled the bonfire; as a result, you wind up with a bonus charge.

krakov

There is one in the area where the channeler is, behind a pillar. There is one in Blight town by a big pillar between the waterwheel and the boss entrance and I'm pretty sure there is another one by the slugs.

King Boo

dark_souls_knight_sculpture_by_futantshadow-d4b8zat.jpg

I wish I had a thousand dollars to get one of these.

i really like the armor designs. a lot of games don't capture that look i think. one of the things i like about the game of thrones show on hbo, is the armor.

but in other games, most armor looks so bad and ugly like in oblivion or skyrim.

1. You can go back, but there are far, far, far better places to farm humanity.

2. Someone in that area has kindled the bonfire; as a result, you wind up with a bonus charge.

1. OK, that's fine then.

2. Cool, I never knew that! I've only gotten it about 2-3 times the whole game, though. Love all the little details, just like I loved them in Demon's.

Durante

I thought this game was really good when I was just doing PvE. Then I thought it was great when I was doing coop. Now after 4 hours of the Forest Hunter covenant actually working I'm convinced that it's the GotY. I had 1vs1, 1vs2, 2vs1, 2vs2 and even one 2vs3 situation. I died often, especially to people clearly "farming" hunters, but it really doesn't matter, it was just an amazing experience. My basic process is immediately casting Chameleon when I arrive (unless someone is in sight of course), switch out the ring, and then scout the situation to see whether there are any white phantoms. If so I wait until more hunters arrive, otherwise I try to get into position to get the first spell in without being seen.

Of course it would be even better if the online wasn't so inconsistent. It took almost an hour from putting on the ring until I was summoned for the first time, but subsequently it happened every 1-3 minutes.

One concern I have though: how are the souls you get for defeating another player calculated? Because I usually got 4k-15k, but then suddenly 90k, which seems a bit excessive.

So was the game's files unpacked or something? A friend showed me a texture mod or some sort of HD texture of Dark Souls plants. Wondering if this is true, that way I can dive into modding it! (Still have yet to buy Dark Souls though lol)

Durante

So was the game's files unpacked or something? A friend showed me a texture mod or some sort of HD texture of Dark Souls plants. Wondering if this is true, that way I can dive into modding it! (Still have yet to buy Dark Souls though lol)
It's not really file unpacking, instead the game's texture loading calls are redirected when they happen. Which has the advantage of not requiring any changes to existing files.

More information:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=206
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/

Grief.exe

Of course it would be even better if the online wasn't so inconsistent. It took almost an hour from putting on the ring until I was summoned for the first time, but subsequently it happened every 1-3 minutes.

I'm seeing the same issue. It takes like 20-30 minutes for their servers to effectively recognize you, then the PVP starts flowing consistently.

Oh shit gamasutra touching on the very thing everyone else on the entire planet has been saying about Souls games since 2009. Man, so insightful

btw this is me shitting on that site not the poster.

Isn't Gamasutra considered a very high quality site?

I kind of agree with them, once you understand the game, it really isn't that hard. The first 20 hours the learning curve is pretty steep and brutal though

2AdEPT

One concern I have though: how are the souls you get for defeating another player calculated? Because I usually got 4k-15k, but then suddenly 90k, which seems a bit excessive.

My understanding was that it is just a percentage of the total souls someone is carrying...nothing to do with level, but I could be wrong...I can confirm that the loser does not take the souls but ruather gets a prize value related to the amount that they carry...the bloddstain contians the same amount when you lose as a host.

What sword did you decide on?

By the way, if you did all the work you did on this game thinking it was below GOTY status...what would have you done if it was game of the generation or best all time? FOr me its best all time although I took a 20 year break from games to get married and have kids :p.....asteroids and pac man don't measure up to today's games....although there is alot of crap out there despite good graphics etc.

Genral question:

So I have not got summoned in three days...this is a major differfence for me as a few weeks earlier I was at least getting 2-3 summons a session. I am level 60 on my new character and even at O&S bonfire I go half an hour or even a few hours without any action :(

I kinda need level 2 sunbro for this character to get great lightning spears and only three more medals to go....anyone feeling generaous at 10pm pacific can hlpe me out by either soliciting my help on bosses or just feeeling charitable with sunlight medals my handle is AdEPTErik?

Sentenza

Huh, guy's right, neither Souls game lives to its reputation (and that's a good thing), but that's a pretty read (no offense to you btw). I mean, allowing you to play however you want or the linearity of the game doesn't have anything to do with difficulty, really :/
Well, I think he was just implying that the game doesn't leave you so "directionless" and clueless about your goals as many depicts it. What I found strange about that point was actually something else.
It sounded almost like it was meant as a complaint: "The game tricks you into thinking that it's open, but to some extent it tends to force your hand in some direction".

Uh... But that's not really a trick. That's exactly how you design a *good* open world game (see also Risen/Gothic).
The other popular option is some shitty level scaling, like in TES.

Grief.exe

Genral question:

So I have not got summoned in three days...this is a major differfence for me as a few weeks earlier I was at least getting 2-3 summons a session. I am level 60 on my new character and even at O&S bonfire I go half an hour or even a few hours without any action :(

I kinda need level 2 sunbro for this character to get great lightning spears and only three more medals to go....anyone feeling generaous at 10pm pacific can hlpe me out by either soliciting my help on bosses or just feeeling charitable with sunlight medals my handle is AdEPTErik?

You can also go to the shortcut tunnel between Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins and farm the Sunlight Maggots, they drop a lot of medals.

2AdEPT

You can also go to the shortcut tunnel between Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins and farm the Sunlight Maggots, they drop a lot of medals.

I am so there after work.....2 hours to go.........thanks for the reminder!!!! I knew I was missing/forgetting something...notwithstanding, I really miss co-op and in all the 1000 + hours spent ont his game I never had to be forced to care about medal drops from the maggots....:(

Grief.exe

I am so there after work.....2 hours to go.........thanks for the reminder!!!! I knew I was missing/forgetting something...notwithstanding, I really miss co-op and in all the 1000 + hours spent ont his game I never had to be forced to care about medal drops from the maggots....:(

I'm personally gonna make an SL21 character for Sunbroing

That way you can get help people, SL9-33, with Taurus, Capra, Gargoyes, and Quelagg.

Top Bottom