• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I'm going through the game for my third time (first two were on PS3 last year) with a Dex build based around the Uchigatana (for now; I may switch to Iaito sometime). I have made it past the boss of the Depths, grabbed Iaito and am planning to skip Blighttown. So far I haven't increased vitality at all l which is making battles more tense. I'm wondering if I can hold out and take out O+S without increasing Vit.

I took out the forest guardians which was a lot of fun before I got my dex up. Now I cut through them a little too easily. Also, Pharis was dumb and killed himself, so I didn't get to take him out. I did the reset trick to get his stuff, though.

Kalameet. Oh my god he's obliterating me. Switched from lightweight to medium armor to counter his hard hitting attacks but it turns out dodging is more important. Switched back to lightweight and now I'm trying to defeat him, somehow.

Gough wasn't kidding when he said Kalameet would still be strong as hell even with injured wings.

Grief.exe

Kalameet. Oh my god he's obliterating me. Switched from lightweight to medium armor to counter his hard hitting attacks but it turns out dodging is more important. Switched back to lightweight and now I'm trying to defeat him, somehow.

Gough wasn't kidding when he said Kalameet would still be strong as hell even with injured wings.

Its tough to roll through a lot of his attacks since they continue to damage through his 'backswing' so to speak. Like his head, tail, or arms continue to damage for a long time.

So you have to roll to the left sometimes, right others to avoid that backswing that can do massive damage.

Honestly, I just play that fight carefully I only go in for attacks during his flames, his eye blast, or after his flying charge attack.

I do punish his melee attacks on occasion, but they are pretty dangerous. Since you have to dodge his backswing and he can recover pretty fast and put some serious damage on you. I also you a Demon Machete so my recover time is slow.

ElFly

Kalameet is hard, but I defeated it like three attempts* after I realized that
the spot that floats above you after the telekinetic move where he makes you float, means that you get extra damage, so you should flee until it disolves.

You really need the quick roll for that fight. And do not lock on that much, cause it makes hard to avoid the attack where it flies above you and shoots fires downwards.

* I consider this "quick"

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
No there's one around the boss area, IIRC, but also The Depth's slimes are not the same as the Swamps' slugs, the latter drop Large titanite apparently, but i don't think the slimes do.

Ah yeah, I do remember a guy hidden behind a pillar with a large shard now that you mention it. As for the slimes, I'm sure they drop both Large Shards and Green Shards occasionally, as I farmed there for a while when I got bored of Blighttown.

Thrakier

Most definitely. You can now roll down to the bonfire and they'll just be chilling there.

Which bonfire?
The Capras arent the big problem, it's just that there are so many of them and then those fat guys. It would be easy with more flasks and fireballscrolls, but so it's very hard. It just sucks so hard that my Pyromancy guy is gone and I can't levle up my scrolls anymore. :(

Anteater

Which bonfire?
The Capras arent the big problem, it's just that there are so many of them and then those fat guys. It would be easy with more flasks and fireballscrolls, but so it's very hard. It just sucks so hard that my Pyromancy guy is gone and I can't levle up my scrolls anymore. :(

Just pull them out one by one, should be able to take them on without getting hit much

Grief.exe

Thrakier

Just pull them out one by one, should be able to take them on without getting hit much

Like I said, capras arent the big problem, just how many there are (even one by one) and then the fat guys in the end. My ressources don't last enough. I'm not good enough so that nothing hits me at all.

EasyMode

Which bonfire?

There's a bonfire below the first group of cappys. When you approach the bonfire for the first time a big ass worm will pop out of the wall.

It can currently load either .dds or .png.

That makes sense. So why did I just get 1.8 million souls?

You get 10% of the souls that they would need to level up again - so if you killed someone that was Soul Level 100, I think you would get around 6,000 souls as you need 60265 to level from SL100 to 101.

So whoever you got 1.8 mill souls from, was really high level (and wouldn't be surprised if they were a hacker)

2AdEPT

I'm personally gonna make an SL21 character for Sunbroing

That way you can get help people, SL9-33, with Taurus, Capra, Gargoyes, and Quelagg.
yeah I noremnally hold on for a long time to enjoy the co-oop at low levels...but since this is my second shot at the new DLC I assumed I could get a tonne of medals on O&S...got one more last night beifre heading to the shortcut.....got 2 medals there...but becuase I had ot quit the sunbros to get itopen I lost half my medals...still got a bout 4 to go I think?!?!??!??!? THen FINALLY on to Darkmoon, DUkes, and the new content with Skywalker build...ccan't wait....usually I am OP by that poiint but even with new spells the new content was very cahllenging for my sorcerer......the skywalker character WILL get Kallameet this time, and hopefully I can solo manus and Artorias.
Which bonfire?

Sounds like you have a love/hate relationship with this game man! The Demon's ruins is cheesable so once you have experienced fighting them and as you say you can beat them .....why suffer?.....first, though, do it human so that you get the second inavasion of Kirk Knight of thorns..IMO his armour, which you can only get by killing him three times (depths, ruins, izalith) is one of the best looking if not the best in the game beucase it stuns and damages opponents when you roll. SEcond, I have NEVER fought all those Tauruses ever...just run by them with flash sweat on and collect the ember on a suicide run...case closed. THen although I usually run out of magic halfway through Capras...I know i can kill them ....but i also know you cna just
drop from the ledge to the bonfire without aggroing them at all....you don[t even have to fight one capra after the first one that guards the path entrance....
its FROM's way of saying ot you, "we just try to scare you in this game but really make it easy in the long run." "there is always a way to succeed if you use your patience, creativity, and practice." Etc. etc. FOr me that;s the fun of this game and although its not a surirse that many developers shoot for this draw for their games...I don't think anyone has done a better job than FROM at this particualr aspect of gaming. Even after 1000 hours of souls I still uncover new ways to do the same thing...the replayability is near endless.

Oh and before I forget!! Earlier I didn't want to spoil your fun in finding them yourself, but there are 3 pyro acenders in the game all of which you should be able access to right now if you are in Demon's ruins.
the first guy who died laurentius, queelana, the most important pyro trainer as she grants you an upgraded glove that goes much higher than teh first glove you get form laurentius or from teh start of the game if you chose pyro.....she camps out in the swamp on the way to queelag on one of those islands facing the door to queeelag and only appears later in teh rpgression of things usually and it is arguanle that she is glitched a bit although that is unconfiormed as far as I am concerned as she always shows up for me whether I play it on console or PC (and who is basically pointed out to you by laurentius if you listen to him in firelinkj carefully), and einygy, an egg face very close to where you are in a hidden wall room near the bell after queelag. DON"T KILL the egg head behind the wall. He sells a special pyro you can only get from him if you allow worms from other aggroed egg heads to suck your face.

Thrakier

I stood before the worm but a Bonfire I didn't see. Need to check again. If I get to it, it's probably easy. Who's Kirk Knight anyway? I already closed The Depths long before, never met him.

Well, I'm 99% hollow. Don't have enough humanity for all the deaths I die.

I stood before the worm but a Bonfire I didn't see. Need to check again. If I get to it, it's probably easy. Who's Kirk Knight anyway? I already closed The Depths long before, never met him.

You actually have to kill the worm as it is on top of the bonfire. I don't think Kirk will appear in the depths if you already beat it, and he might not show up in demon ruins if you don't trigger him in the depths first.

I would hold off on the mad rush past the taurus with flash sweat. You will get something that will make it much easier. If you face the taurus one at a time and stand under them then they are actually fairly easy. Fighting them there will give you practice for beating them so that you can get past the one at the bottom of the stairs easilly.

2AdEPT

there are lots of worms so you could be near the wrong one....as you leave the lava field you go on a windy path toward the guantlet of capras.....look to your right down below...there is a platform with an item and a bonfire...the worms pop out of the rocks so you wont see them until you are right on top of them.

Kirk is worth a second playthrough if you don't do his story the first time.....rad rad armour and drops very coool weapon and shield to match as well....I have done complete characters using only his stuff upgraded to lightning...you can shield bash with the spiked shield and if you blow a slab on it the lightning damamge is quite large!

You actually have to kill the worm as it is on top of the bonfire. I don't think Kirk will appear in the depths if you already beat it, and he might not show up in demon ruins if you don't trigger him in the depths first.

I would hold off on the mad rush past the taurus with flash sweat. You will get something that will make it much easier. If you face the taurus one at a time and stand under them then they are actually fairly easy. Fighting them there will give you practice for beating them so that you can get past the one at the bottom of the stairs easilly.

actually he does show up independent of whether you got him in depths or not..but you right....bosses must be alive and you will miss him in all locations if you are not human also with the boss alive. You must beat him in all three locations to get the armour...which shows up in a chaos covenant area separate from where you kill him......you don't even have ot do it in any particualr order (further evidence for the idea that FROM has NO set order outside of bells ->sens-> lordvessel), and you can get the spiked shield and barbed sword drops without doign all three, but most people kill gaping beofre heading to demon/s izalith for sure and wont have the armour unless they are tyring for it.

Deninitely a difficutl quest...I ahve missed the armour even when I was trying to do it! Usually forgettting to go to his summon spot in the sewer first before summoning help...help tends ot run straight to the boss...you have to have the midn not to follwo them and go down tot he deepest part of the sewer first......SO those that are not even trying to do it likley wont by accident, although it is possible!!!.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm usually hollow, I only managed to encounter Kirk right before the Bed of Chaos boss fight in Lost Izalith. Can I go back to the other spots and fight him, or does it have to be done in order?

edit: nevermind, you answered that question already! I guess I'll get him in NG+

Thrakier

I killed all the tauruses at the lavafield, they don't come back so it wasnt a huge issue. What should I get there? There is a soul in the middle of the lavafield, though I always died so far trying go get there fast enough with a jump. I need to watch out for the bonfire again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I killed all the tauruses at the lavafield, they don't come back so it wasnt a huge issue. What should I get there? There is a soul in the middle of the lavafield, though I always died so far trying go get there fast enough with a jump. I need to watch out for the bonfire again.
You'll find a ring later on that will let you walk across lava and only take periodic damage instead of the instant kill.

Zeliard

That's the Chaos Ember, used for making Chaos weaps.

You can suicide run to get it if you throw on some fire defense and use spells like Flash Sweat. Otherwise you have to wait till you get the Orange Charred Ring from the Centipede boss.

Grief.exe

Did you get Iron Flesh pyromancy?

Haunted

Ok, someone needs to clear this up for me, because I still don't know even though I've played through the game a couple times now.

What's the main difference between Fire and Chaos weapons? Similarly Magic/Enchanted, also +15/Raw and Divine/Occult. I don't know which is better for what.

From what I understand, the latter variants just go to +5 while the others can go to +10, but in turn they have less "stat scaling" (whatever stats are meant by that) - but at what point does the increased stat scaling of the +10 variants surpass the +5 of Chaos/Enchanted/Raw/Occult, if ever?

You'll find a ring later on that will let you walk across lava and only take periodic damage instead of the instant kill.

you can use the miracle flash sweat, putting on as much fire resistant equipment that still keeps you below 50%, and equip fire resistance ring to minimize the fire damage and quickly jump/rush through the lava and get the ember. also

EasyMode

Ok, someone needs to clear this up for me, because I still don't know even though I've played through the game a couple times now.

What's the main difference between Fire and Chaos weapons? Similarly Magic/Enchanted, also +15/Raw and Divine/Occult. I don't know which is better for what.

From what I understand, the latter variants just go to +5 while the others can go to +10, but in turn they have less "stat scaling" (whatever stats are meant by that) - but at what point does the increased stat scaling of the +10 variants surpass the +5 of Chaos/Enchanted/Raw/Occult, if ever?

I don't understand these upgrade paths either. Whenever I compare them using the wiki or the character planner, they actually seem like downgrades except for chaos which gets a very marginal boost.

Edit...

An example using the character planner:

40 Strength & 40 Faith

Divine Greataxe +10 = 302 physical / 416 magic (718 total)
Occult Greataxe +5 = 308 physical / 396 magic (704 total)

I don't see the point...

Edit 2: I was under the impression that occult/enchanted had better stat scaling.

Ruuppa

where can I upgrade my Pyro when my first Pyro Mentor is gone? I told him about chaos daughter.... :(
Once you get over +10 Pyromancy Flame, the next mentor appears in the Blighttown Swamp. Iirc you must have met her at least once to be able to tell the first mentor to go to the Swamp.

In any case, she is sitting next to the big pillar closest to the boss entrance on the right side when coming from the Blighttown bonfire.

Thrakier

Once you get over +10 Pyromancy Flame, the next mentor appears in the Blighttown Swamp. Iirc you must have met her at least once to be able to tell the first mentor to go to the Swamp.

In any case, she is sitting next to the big pillar closest to the boss entrance on the right side when coming from the Blighttown bonfire.

Well, how should I bring my flame to +10 when my mentor left...

Ruuppa

If you have enough of the required stat, going the normal upgrade path is the best way to go. If you don't, elemental damage becomes amazing. For example, if you're a mage but want to have some melee damage as well, raising your Str/Dex just enough to use a weapon and then making it elemental can be extremely effective. Some upgrades also give additional scaling:

Divine/Occult gives a weapon Faith -scaling Magic damage.
Magic/Enchanted gives a weapon Intelligence -scaling Magic damage.
Raw/Fire/Chaos/Lightning is just non-scaling big damage. Late edit: Chaos is like Fire, but gives extra damage with Humanity. With 10 Humanity, it's much better than Fire.

Also elemental upgrades are best used on weapons with low natural scaling.
Talk to Einggyi at the Chaos Daughter bonfire? Not sure if he can actually upgrade your Pyromancy. Did you join the Chaos Covenant to get the Chaos Fireball? That could be the trigger to open the option of getting him to leave Firelink, not sure. Oh, and the next mentor should also appear by that time, even without +10.

Quelana will be your new mentor - I don't think she sells all of Laurentias' spells, but she sells a lot more and some very powerful. Plus she can take ascend your flame to the highest level. Exhaust her dialog before taking on the last boss in the chaos branch of the story.

you can use the miracle flash sweat, putting on as much fire resistant equipment that still keeps you below 50%, and equip fire resistance ring to minimize the fire damage and quickly jump/rush through the lava and get the ember. also

I am pretty sure you must have put some levels into VIT in order for this to work as I have never been able to get in and out in time (the pick up animation takes too long in this case). But I never upgrade VIT until I have soft-capped DEX and END.

Ruuppa

I am pretty sure you must have put some levels into VIT in order for this to work as I have never been able to get in and out in time (the pick up animation takes too long in this case). But I never upgrade VIT until I have soft-capped DEX and END.
Done it with 15 Vit, so you don't need a lot. Go over from the other side of the lava, where the run is shorter and don't bother trying to get out. Because your Blood splatter will always spawn a few seconds behind your actual death-spot, you can recover your stuff easily.

Top Bottom