• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Quikies83

tried raising your Dex to wield a Bow?

I would need to raise my dex quite a bit in order to wield a bow that does good enough damage to serve as my main weapon for a while. Don't think so. That would also unnecessarily raise my level -- most of level ups will come from intelligence on this build. I'll obviously raise my strength, dex a bit for a main hand weapon though -- I'm just not sure what that weapon should be. As I said in my last post, I need something aside from my dagger.

NBtoaster

I don't think I have the ember for magic upgrades yet. Where would be a good area for a longsword drop?

You don't need an ember for magic upgrades up to +5 (the base weapon also needs to be +5 first though). You can buy swords from Andrei or have them drop from undead burg enemies. Might want to try which of shortsword, broadsword, or longsword has a moveset you like best first though. Magic weapons need green titanite which you can farm from the depths slimes.

Quikies83

You don't need an ember for magic upgrades up to +5. You can buy swords from Andrei or have them drop from undead burg enemies. Might want to try which of shortsword, broadsword, or longsword has a moveset you like best first though. Magic weapons need green titanite which you can farm from the depths slimes.

Good call. Thanks a lot.

NBtoaster

Though if that is too much work (low slime drop rates) you could consider the magic weapon spell buff from griggs instead, which would typically be stronger but rely on you buffing before encounters.

What's a good sword/weapon I can pickup for a sorcerer? I've been getting by with just soul arrows and a dagger but I'm just not doing enough damage to Gaping Dragon -- this fight is normally pie but this is my first caster run -- i'm low level and I want to keep it that way. I'm going to have to back out of the depths and find a better weapon (that I can equip).

I think staying really low level with a caster might be difficult, some of the better spells have rather hefty INT requirements, so you'll probably end up into the 30s/40s in terms of leveling to get some of the more worthwhile ones.

Buff whatever weapon you have with the magic-weapon spells and they start doing some good damage - Catalysts magic power scale with int, and the amount of damage is based on the magic power. At this point in the game, Estoic with Magic Weapon buff would probably be good, can get it in New Londo ruins right near the start.

ACE 1991

From the bonfire, run straight down the hallway minding the slimes on the ceiling. There's an opening on your left with a torch hollow. Go that way. Follow that back to the area with the hollows/butchers. You can save the pyro trainer in the barrel if you haven't (he's in the room behind where the butcher drops down). To the left of where the butcher drops down is an area where you can drop down into water. Do that and run up the stairs on the other side of this small area. Now you're in the first room of the depths, and you just have to continue up and out of this room and you'll be in lower undead burg. Straight shoot to firelink from there.

Ah, this was the missing piece! Thanks!

2AdEPT

From tragically loyal compatriot to glorified pony. I'm not sure this scenario really represents an improvement for Sif.
Oh come on...the sarcasm meter needs to be turned on ....that (cat person?) Haly post deserves post of the month....that was the hardest I laughed on this board for a long time.....too many dog owners around here....what's the difference between SIF and the cats that kill you in the forest?...should be NOTHING, but obviously not....what about the tree creatures? plants have feelings too we just don't know how to interpret them? PLus he is a wolf not a dog anyway. (please don't send me any hate mail signed with a paw print....please accept a little light fun poking in the nature it was intended...just a little light humour please.)
I would need to raise my dex quite a bit in order to wield a bow that does good enough damage to serve as my main weapon for a while. Don't think so. That would also unnecessarily raise my level -- most of level ups will come from intelligence on this build. I'll obviously raise my strength, dex a bit for a main hand weapon though -- I'm just not sure what that weapon should be. As I said in my last post, I need something aside from my dagger.

Why not get the best weapon suited for an early game sorcerer? It immediately does the most damage of any early game weapon just lying around and does not need upgrades.....PLUS it is a great catalyst as well!!!!! find it here within 1.5 minutes of Firelink if you have the Master key.....only slightly longer (3-5 minutes depending if you get distracted or just run through) if you don't:

back way to blighttown-> drop down the first "hole" you come across after going down the first ladder-> walk to the edge of the platform facing the majority of the level (you will see a red monster in the distance) -> drop down here but make sure to land on the skinny divider, not to the left of it err on the side of going too far right....slide on to the enemy with drawn sword. Drop down one more platform watching out for mosquitoes-> collect the weapon...oh and as a nice bonus the best early game Armour for a sorcerer is also there..(if not whole game Logans/Xanthous are my favourites but can't get until later) ..
many souls were burned in order to bring you this information :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
WTF, THIS is what old witches ring does? I do own it, although I have no idea where I got it. o_O

starting gift? the only other way is to trade with snuggy.

have to kill three more prowling demon's to finish my lifehunt scythe, looks like i'll probably have to hit up that respawning one with double hp. -.-

Thrakier

starting gift? the only other way is to trade with snuggy.

have to kill three more prowling demon's to finish my lifehunt scythe, looks like i'll probably have to hit up that respawning one with double hp. -.-

Yeah, probably starting gift. But why I chose it, I don't know. Cryptic player is cryptic.

right where you start the game. literally.

Cool. I was just about to head back there. Thanks.

After seeing how hidden the Great Hollow was I don't feel so bad asking for a little help. I bet people finding that place on accident must have felt like true explorers finding new land.

Quikies83

Oh come on...the sarcasm meter needs to be turned on ....that (cat person?) Haly post deserves post of the month....that was the hardest I laughed on this board for a long time.....too many dog owners around here....what's the difference between SIF and the cats that kill you in the forest?...should be NOTHING, but obviously not....what about the tree creatures? plants have feelings too we just don't know how to interpret them? PLus he is a wolf not a dog anyway. (please don't send me any hate mail signed with a paw print....please accept a little light fun poking in the nature it was intended...just a little light humour please.)

Why not get the best weapon suited for an early game sorcerer? It immediately does the most damage of any early game weapon just lying around and does not need upgrades.....PLUS it is a great catalyst as well!!!!! find it here within 1.5 minutes of Firelink if you have the Master key.....only slightly longer (3-5 minutes depending if you get distracted or just run through) if you don't:

back way to blighttown-> drop down the first "hole" you come across after going down the first ladder-> walk to the edge of the platform facing the majority of the level (you will see a red monster in the distance) -> drop down here but make sure to land on the skinny divider, not to the left of it err on the side of going too far right....slide on to the enemy with drawn sword. Drop down one more platform watching out for mosquitoes-> collect the weapon...oh and as a nice bonus the best early game Armour for a sorcerer is also there..(if not whole game Logans/Xanthous are my favourites but can't get until later) ..
many souls were burned in order to bring you this information :(

Very nice.. i was planning on heading that way after I take care of the Gaping Dragon. I'll follow your directions for the red robes (I assume that's what you're talking about) and whatever weapon is over there - I don't remember.

Of my 5 PC characters that I have a 'boss fight away from NG+', think I'm going to do it with my STR build on the PC, been having so much fun with it the last while. Just sort of doing the 'final kill the optional stuff' type things before moving on.

Even though I have no attunement slots, wondering if it will be worth buying all of the spells/pyromancies for a 'just incase in the future I want to start using them', and having multiple copies wouldn't hurt.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That wasn't sarcasm, I love Sif :(

(and I'm a cat person)

I don't want to kill him, and that the DLC
doesn't let you avoid doing so is a dick move from From.

Ridley327

That wasn't sarcasm, I love Sif :(

(and I'm a cat person)

I don't want to kill him, and that the DLC
doesn't let you avoid doing so is a dick move from From.

Sif knows what he has to do; even if your character does succeed where Artorias failed, the risk is just too great to let anyone take the Covenant and risk the darkness from spreading further. Sif knows it's either you or him, and he can't let up, even if you did save him.

Haly

Sif knows what he has to do; even if your character does succeed where Artorias failed, the risk is just too great to let anyone take the Covenant and risk the darkness from spreading further. Sif knows it's either you or him, and he can't let up, even if you did save him.
Bro, I killed the fucking FATHER OF THE ABYSS. I got this.

Grief.exe

Some nice downsampled Dark Souls shots

ibtIndwW1uQclz.png

iuUwcknCGdFFu.png

Of my 5 PC characters that I have a 'boss fight away from NG+', think I'm going to do it with my STR build on the PC, been having so much fun with it the last while. Just sort of doing the 'final kill the optional stuff' type things before moving on.

Even though I have no attunement slots, wondering if it will be worth buying all of the spells/pyromancies for a 'just incase in the future I want to start using them', and having multiple copies wouldn't hurt.

On my str build I went full pyro and +15 int, helps to have the great magic weapon adding on a good deal of damage onto your weapons.

Thrakier

Join her covenant if you want, give her humanity for an awesome piromancy and a shortcut to Lost Izalith.

The great fireball? I had that before. And I already was in her covenant as well. Wearing the ring just changed that she said some sentences instead of "...".

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The great fireball? I had that before. And I already was in her covenant as well. Wearing the ring just changed that she said some sentences instead of "...".
You get more spells the further you level her covenant. The shortcut unlocks at 30 humanity given.

Haly

You get Chaos Storm at +2 Chaos Covenant.

Great Chaos Fireball is the best fireball you'll get.

What is this spider lady people are talking about? Did I miss something? I remember killing her but there was never a choice of being able to talk or anything.

There is a hidden wall down near where the bell is, hit it and it reveals the spider lady.

Wha?! Thanks I am gonna check that out.

Which means I must kill lots of baby skeletons :( outside Nito's Lair for humanity. I am primarily pyro, so I really want the best fireball now that I know it exists.

And seriously, WTF at the baby skeleton gangs. That has to be one of the creepiest things I have ever seen in a game.

Some nice downsampled Dark Souls shots

On my str build I went full pyro and +15 int, helps to have the great magic weapon adding on a good deal of damage onto your weapons.

Pyro is handy, but I've used it on almost every character I've had on the PC, so was making a point to do a 'no spell run' as any time I got into a tough spot with my other characters I'd go full-out pyro and just burn things to a crisp.

Not too bad of an idea to get great magic weapon though

zkylon

zkylewd
There is a hidden wall down near where the bell is, hit it and it reveals the spider lady.
Please, be more respectful among covenanters here. She's called the Fair Lady.

Insolents.

Pyro is handy, but I've used it on almost every character I've had on the PC, so was making a point to do a 'no spell run' as any time I got into a tough spot with my other characters I'd go full-out pyro and just burn things to a crisp.

Not too bad of an idea to get great magic weapon though
Haven't used any sort of magic with my main yet, but I'm really interested in a full-miracles run. Those lighting spells look wicked.

Haly

No lie, I'm wildly attracted to all the spider ladies, arachnobody be damned.

Haly

I think I can safely say the new humanity farming place is the Chasm of the Abyss.

koryuken

I think I can all safely say the new humanity farming place is the Chasm of the Abyss.

Is it really better than the squids in Duke's archives?

PS. I haven't played DlC yet. I'm busily creating different builds with all the items in anticipation of the DLC.

Ridley327

Is it really better than the squids in Duke's archives?

PS. I haven't played DlC yet. I'm busily creating different builds with all the items in anticipation of the DLC.

Without spoiling why it's a much better place to farm humanity, it is definitely a much better place to farm humanity.

Haly

You have to really experience it to understand what I mean.

They drop Twins, Twins.

Ridley327

You have to really experience it to understand what I mean.

They drop Twins, Twins.

It didn't immediately dawn on me what those ghosts were at first, but once I got one to drop humanity and you notice just how remarkably similar the two are, it hits you like a tidal wave. A real FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU moment in a game that's already full of them.

Haly

It didn't immediately dawn on me what those ghosts were at first, but once I got one to drop humanity and you notice just how remarkably similar the two are, it hits you like a tidal wave. A real FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU moment in a game that's already full of them.
The creepiest part is those groups of giant humanities with like, 2 big ones and 2 small ones.

AM I SLAUGHTERING ENTIRE FAMILIES WHO WERE DAMNED TO THE ABYSS?
She doesn't fit there. And who is going to go instead of her? Eingyi?
He can do it.

Walk up to rats. Poison mist. Go to the next group. Poison mist. The group behind the bars. Poison mist. The group near the channeler. Toxic Mist.

Then just wait for them to die and homeward bone.

Top Bottom