• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Grief.exe

I don't understand how I'm sposed to kite Ceaseless Discharge. He gets to a spot where he'll just slap his hands if I'm close or breathe fire if I walk away. Can't lead him to the pit.

Don't even worry about doing that.

I just stand right next to him where he spawns, when he lifts his arms up just start rolling, I usually just roll twice and he will miss. You will miss his fire attack, his straight slap, and his two slaps this way (roll more times for his multi-slap attack).

Just pay attention for the sideways slash, he telegraphs this one by bringing his arm to the side instead of above him. Just watch and wait, then roll as its about to hit you. Or block with your shield if you have the stamina.

Getting down to 25% equip load and not locking on helps for this fight.

beat O&S the hard way
killed Smough first :/
then went to the catacombs and killed the pushover boss there. Now working my way through lost izalith.

NBtoaster

I don't understand how I'm sposed to kite Ceaseless Discharge. He gets to a spot where he'll just slap his hands if I'm close or breathe fire if I walk away. Can't lead him to the pit.

If you have angered him by taking the armor set and died that wont work until you run to where the armor was, wait for him to do an attack there, then run all the way back to the entrance.

Is there a link to the typed out dialogues? Don't feel like downloading anything.

No, but I'll type them up.

Artorias said:
Whatever thou art, stay away.

Soon...I will be consumed.

By them...by the Dark.

Thou art strong, human.

Truly, thine kind are more than pure Dark.

I beg of thee...the spread of the Abyss...must be stopped...

Ah, Sif...there you are. All of you...forgive me.

For I have availed you nothing.

Quelaag said:
Go back.

Forbidden be these parts, the realm of the creatures of Chaos.

They accept their banished fate.

Lest the flames devour all.

Have the children of Chaos feed upon your charred ashes.

Those who defy the pact....

Those who trespass Quelaag's Domain....

May you feel the depth of our wrath.

Ah...a precious new sacrifice.

Go on. Go on ahead.

Welcome, bringer of meat.

The children of Chaos are hungry. Give yourself to Quelaag's flame.

SJRB

Gold Member
Haha goddamnit it's too bright in my room, I can't see what's going on! Guess I'll have to wait until sunset to continue playing.

dark-souls,6963,394.jpg

Damn the Sun!

Minamu

Geez, started a new character on ps3 today and damn, the performance is so jarring :S I never really noticed it before but with two coop partners, the framerate is awful :S

Zaventem

Before Dark Souls came to PC,console owners said there was nothing like it on that platform.There were lots of post about a game people mentioned a shitton of times that's "like" Dark Souls.I'm sure you guys have some idea what i'm talking about,it's was an older game FUCK why didn't i favorite the video.
I still think there is nothing like DkS on PC but i would like to play the game people kept mentioning every time they talked about Dark Souls PC (it wasn't on the platform at that time obviously)

TheExodu5

Banned

Stay near the armor set you picked up, where he first starts to fight you. Stay near the wall on the right. He'll try to slap you, just move left while he does. Attack his arm after the slap. Repeat. He will do the same attack over and over again.

Prodigal

Banned
Was having some fun earlier this morning with an invader; I'm not much of a PvPer so I thought I'd finally put my Chameleon spell to good use.

I sat there for about 20 minutes and worked on some paperwork while he ran around the Archives looking for me. Then I got bored and shot him with a couple poison arrows which actually led to a good fight. Lasted a few minutes but I got lucky and snagged a hit on him around a corner. He was clearly the better player, I was just messing around. I guess I'm kind of a dick for doin' it though lol.

Grief.exe

Before Dark Souls came to PC,console owners said there was nothing like it on that platform.There were lots of post about a game people mentioned a shitton of times that's "like" Dark Souls.I'm sure you guys have some idea what i'm talking about,it's was an older game FUCK why didn't i favorite the video.
I still think there is nothing like DkS on PC but i would like to play the game people kept mentioning every time they talked about Dark Souls PC (it wasn't on the platform at that time obviously)

The witcher 2 is actually very similar.

I think too human is actually pretty similar to demon souls. Has a similar difficulty and level layout, but similar combat to god of war, and loot/level system like D2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay so, taking those quotes into account, I've made a rough draft of the "tiers" of beings in Dark Souls.
Tier 1: Immortal, God-like powers

Deities - Gwyndolin, Gwynevere, Gwyn (pre Second Kindling), Velka, Fina

Ancient Dragons - Seath, Stone Dragons, Kalameet

Gravelord - Nito

Tier 2: Immortal, magic powers but not on the level of the Gods

Angels - Witch of Izalith and her Daughters (pre Bed of Chaos), Gwyn (post Second Kindling), Artorias, Ornstein, Smough, Ciaran, Gough, Sif, Alvina, Big Hat Logan, Domhnall of Zena, Silver Knights, Black Knights

Crossbreeds - Priscilla

Demons - Ceaseless Discharge, Bed of Chaos, Quelaag (demon form), Quelaan (demon form), Demon enemies

Primordial Serpents - Kaathe, Frampt

Giants - Giant Blacksmith, Hawkeye Gough, Giant Knights

Modern Dragons - Hellkite, Drakes

Abyssals - Darkwraiths, Manus

Tier 3: Mortal, access to magic powers but not on the level of the Gods

Darksign Branded Humans - Player Character, Pygmy, Solaire (and other humanoid phantoms), Salaman, Laurientis (and other trainers), Andrei, Vamos

Hollows - Undead Merchants, other Hollows, Balder Knights, etc

Undead - Skeletons

Wildlife - Rats, Trees, Snakes, etc

Notes:
I use the word "Angels" for lack of a better term because they are:
1) Immortal
2) Possibly of divine origin
3) Lack humanity despite being sentient
4) Can ascend to godhood or regress as well (as with the case with Gwyn)

No one on the Tier 2 list of beings drop Humanity (except for Manus), that's the main qualifier. Otherwise they are a Tier 3 being. All bosses drop humanity except for the Four knights of Gwyn, and Gwyn himself.

Both Hawkeye Gough and Ciaran refer to the player character as "human", and Artorias as well if that quote list is anything to go by. This means that they are some race removed from humans but not quite gods. They also drop no Humanity, even Ciaran, though she looks perfectly fine and healthy.

In the prologue, when the voiceover talks about disparity, she's not talking about the rising of humans, but the creation of two separate races, Angels and Humans, Heat (divinity) and Cold (non-divinity), Life (immortality) and Death (mortality), Light and Dark. Since "Dark" is a recurring term when talking about humans (Manus, the Abyss, the Dark Soul), it only makes sense that Light probably refers to the divine beings. Which also explains why Gwyn and co want to extend the Age of Fire, which is a time of Gods, while the Pygmy and Kaathe want to usher in the Age of Dark (the age of Man).

Haly

Kalameet is one of the oldest dragons actually

What about Abyssal Demons? The first one drops Humanity.
Bumped Kalameet up. Forgot about the early demons. And now that I think about it, most of the bosses drop humanity. Ornstein and Smough, Artorias and Ciaran were the exceptions.

The only plausible explanation is that Humanity is only dangerous to Angelic classes of beings and their familial lines(causes corruption), and that the humanity the other bosses have is from random adventurers who died by their hands.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it me or are there different voice actors used for Solaire and Lautrec?

They sound so different than from what I remember.

Haly

That reminds me....what do I do with the boss souls? Who do I give them to? I am almost at the end and want to do something with them.
You give them to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo to ascend a +10 weapon to into a boss weapon.

There's no known benefit to keeping the boss souls, since the souls they give you when consumed is a pittance while the weapons they turn into are unique and can't be acquired any other way.

Thrakier

You give them to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo to ascend a +10 weapon to into a boss weapon.

There's no known benefit to keeping the boss souls, since the souls they give you when consumed is a pittance while the weapons they turn into are unique and can't be acquired any other way.

I don't get your last sentence. Should I eat them or not? I can't use all of those boss weapons at once, can I? And I already own Queelags fury sword.

Haly

Don't eat them, you can just farm a similar amount of souls in your favorite soul farming spot. The Boss Weapons are irreplacable, even if not all of them are good.

And you can ascend as many weapons as you have souls and +10 weapons for. Of course, you can always keep them into NG+ because the amount of souls awarded by regular enemies there is vastly higher, making upgrading weapons easier.

Frank

Severance: Blade of Darkness?

Thrakier

If you don't need the souls for any crafting then yeah you might as well consume them.

Don't eat them, you can just farm a similar amount of souls in your favorite soul farming spot. The Boss Weapons are irreplacable, even if not all of them are good.

And you can ascend as many weapons as you have souls and +10 weapons for. Of course, you can always keep them into NG+ because the amount of souls awarded by regular enemies there is vastly higher, making upgrading weapons easier.

Maybe you guys fight that out and then lemme know...

Haly

I'm pretty OCD with this game and I want every weapon, if that helps your decision any.

I'm getting a crash immediately after trying to launch the game from Steam. My drivers are updated, I looked online and it said it doesn't like quad core CPUs--is this true? I wanna play this mother.

Ionic

What level should I have fought O&S at? I didn't find it very difficult, and Ornstein took only 4 hits to kill with the
Dragon Tooth
. Smough wasn't that difficult in the end to finish off either.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just ran into an annoying glitch where none of the bonfires in Undead Burg / Undead Parish were working - I couldn't rest at any of them. I wasn't being invaded either. Had no choice but to quit the game, I hope restarting it will fix everything.

Unless I'm missing something?

Tilian

Banned
Just ran into an annoying glitch where none of the bonfires in Undead Burg / Undead Parish were working - I couldn't rest at any of them. I wasn't being invaded either. Had no choice but to quit the game, I hope restarting it will fix everything.

Unless I'm missing something?
It's not uncommon. Don't know the reason fir it, but a simple homeward bone always fixes it.

koryuken

It's not uncommon. Don't know the reason fir it, but a simple homeward bone always fixes it.

This happens a lot on console too, its not necessarily a bug. When someone is attempting to invade you (you dont get the invasion message just yet) your bonfires shut off and fog walls may appear. It could be that people keep trying to invade your game but fail. To confirm, were you in human form when this happened?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This happens a lot on console too, its not necessarily a bug. When someone is attempting to invade you (you dont get the invasion message just yet) your bonfires shut off and fog walls may appear. It could be that people keep trying to invade your game but fail. To confirm, were you in human form when this happened?

There is a bug where the bonfire will remain unlit even after the fog gates disappear though.

I'm getting a crash immediately after trying to launch the game from Steam. My drivers are updated, I looked online and it said it doesn't like quad core CPUs--is this true? I wanna play this mother.
The only time I've had this game crash on me in over 150 hours of playtime was when I forgot to close d3doverrider before booting it. If you have that or a similar app running, try closing it. I've read that it also doesn't like apps with in game OSDs like MSI Afterburner, so if you use that then turn it off, or maybe try disabling the in game steam overlay.

Sullichin

Nope. Just bought, fresh install. Restarted, too. Just says that DARK SOULS PREPARE TO DIE EDITION executable has stopped working.

If you're on steam, try choosing "verify integrity of game cache". This has fixed a couple of games that have stopped working for me on steam before.

EasyMode

Man, whoever said hyper armor was added to strength weapons in this version must have been trolling. I've been testing the two-handed strong attack with the Dragon Tooth and Greataxe and it ain't there.

DISAPPOINTED

Haly

I got his taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail.

Now to beat his face in.

Top Bottom