• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ElFly

He can do it.

Walk up to rats. Poison mist. Go to the next group. Poison mist. The group behind the bars. Poison mist. The group near the channeler. Toxic Mist.

Then just wait for them to die and homeward bone.

The problem is getting there, really.

Remember how hard is to go down from the depths to blighttown?

Think that, uphill, but being hardly able to climb stairs cause all the eggs on your back.

The creepiest part is those groups of giant humanities with like, 2 big ones and 2 small ones.

AM I SLAUGHTERING ENTIRE FAMILIES WHO WERE DAMNED TO THE ABYSS?

Have to agree it is one of the creepiest moments. Particularly when I first entered and saw them at the distance. Then started picking them off with arrows, and when I got bored of that I descended and FFFFFFUCK

SJRB

Gold Member
I just got invaded by a spirit called GFWL Souls in the Undead Burg. He had a huge head, had unlimited health and did the same dance the Channeler's do after which undead soldiers literally came falling from the sky. All sorts of weird artifacting going on as well, ragdol limb-stretching on the soldiers.

What the fuck. How rampant is this crap on the pc version?

Grief.exe

I just got invaded by a spirit called GFWL Souls in the Undead Burg. He had a huge head, had unlimited health and did the same dance the Channeler's do after which undead soldiers literally came falling from the sky. All sorts of weird artifacting going on as well, ragdol limb-stretching on the soldiers.

Not very rampant to be honest, I've invaded/been invaded probably 500 times and I've seen less than 5 cheaters.

He is actually the most notorious cheater on the PC version. I remember the first day after release people were posting pictures of his profile taken from the book of the guilty.

SJRB

Gold Member
Not very rampant to be honest, I've invaded/been invaded probably 500 times and I've seen less than 5 cheaters.

He is actually the most notorious cheater on the PC version. I remember the first day after release people were posting pictures of his profile taken from the book of the guilty.

I see. Well I tried to fight him but even after 3 backstabs with my battle axe he still had full health. And all the soldier spawning around really trashed my framerate so I just jumped off a ledge and killed myself.

But if he's such a notorious cheater why isn't banned yet?

Zaventem

I see. Well I tried to fight him but even after 3 backstabs with my battle axe he still had full health. And all the soldier spawning around really trashed my framerate so I just jumped off a ledge and killed myself.

But if he's such a notorious cheater why isn't banned yet?

It's GFWL.

Ridley327

The creepiest part is those groups of giant humanities with like, 2 big ones and 2 small ones.

AM I SLAUGHTERING ENTIRE FAMILIES WHO WERE DAMNED TO THE ABYSS?

That potentially puts
Sif's captors in a horrifying new light; what if they just wanted a pet to comfort them in the Abyss? :(

It's funny; what you're ultimately doing isn't really a horrible thing, but the game does such a good job of making you feel bad for doing it anyway.

koryuken

You have to really experience it to understand what I mean.

They drop Twins, Twins.

To add to this discussion, this sort of dawned on me after watching EpicNameBro's lore videos. It is very important that the item description says "This black sprite is called humanity". It does not say it IS actually humanity. (
in reality this is a fragment of the dark soul
) This is really significant.

I was always confused that I would restore my humanity at the bonfire, stop looking like a zombie, but all the NPC's would still refer to you as "undead". Essentially, you are not human again -- you never will be. No matter how many souls/humanities you consume, you are still undead. Almost everyone in this game (Fair lady just being one example) is trying to hoard humanity (
which is a black sprite, a fragment of a dark soul, not the real deal
) in order to become more like their former human self... Quite the depressing story. : )

Dis game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Beat the Taurus Demon on my first try, hell yes for Gold Pine Resin. Definately got my heart racing though.

I've been playing for two hours and beating the Taurus is pretty much the only progress I made. O yeah, I got the Drake Sword and moved up one bonfire [the one at Undead Parish at the sunlight altar].

Also been fiddling with pyromancy, the basic fireball spell is way more powerful than I remember. Great stuff, even though the casting time takes forever.

It's amazing how long you can play without actually making some solid progress.

LiK

HOLY SHIT, got invaded right before i hit a bonfire and i accidentally attacked Solaire there so he aggroed on me while i was fighting the invader.

I was so pissed but then I remembered Durante had autosave backups in the DFfix. Loaded back and I'm back about an hour but at least it was before the invasion.

THANK YOU DURANTE for that.

Thrakier

I hate Lost Izalith. That long ass way till bed of chaos, ran it 4 times already. God damn that's tedious, all those flame monsters there. It's not hard, it's just boring.

Anteater

I hate Lost Izalith. That long ass way till bed of chaos, ran it 4 times already. God damn that's tedious, all those flame monsters there. It's not hard, it's just boring.

aye, not my favorite part, after Anor Londo some of the areas just felt a bit linear and a rehash without much interesting enemies to fight, just go in, find the boss and kill them, some are kind of boring, I didn't mind them but it's nothing special to fight around there, just buncha carpa in demon ruins.

Boss also sucked. First half of the game was much more enjoyable for me with all the connecting areas and stuff, and that's all I kind of replay now, lol.

Grief.exe

Bed of Chaos guide for ya, should help you out.

iXYLdrbS3lZFO.png

Tilian

Banned

He's no25 in book of the guilty. SL1 and most his stats are at 99. 2400 health. Classic glitcher.

Bed of Chaos gave me real problems yesterday. For the final jump I would always panic and get knocked off or jump into the pit. I think it took 15 tries at least. But then all of a sudden everything clicked and I "got it". Could someone tell me who or what that was inside that I killed? I traded the lordsoul before reading what it said.

lol that thing kinda reminded me of that little ghoul you fight in Sin and Punishment 2 with the cranes.

Dumb question. I'm in Darkroot garden, and Long bow is within sight of me. Problem is I have to jump from a ledge and get it. I wanted to acquire it, then go to Andrei the blacksmith, upgrade it and spend my 13k souls. I don't want to fight the black knight and hydra boss after jumping down below. Is there a way to come back up after you take the longbow loot?

Thrakier

aye, not my favorite part, after Anor Londo some of the areas just felt a bit linear and a rehash without much interesting enemies to fight, just go in, find the boss and kill them, some are kind of boring, I didn't mind them but it's nothing special to fight around there, just buncha carpa in demon ruins.

Boss also sucked. First half of the game was much more enjoyable for me with all the connecting areas and stuff, and that's all I kind of replay now, lol.

Yeah I really enjoyed the first part way more so far. The firelink shrine and how you found out connecting ways and stuf and the setting...liked it a lot. Got worse from Blighttown onwards. I've yet to see a stage as good as the prison in Demon Souls.

Dumb question. I'm in Darkroot garden, and Long bow is within sight of me. Problem is I have to jump from a ledge and get it. I wanted to acquire it, then go to Andrei the blacksmith, upgrade it and spend my 13k souls. I don't want to fight the black knight and hydra boss after jumping down below. Is there a way to come back up after you take the longbow loot?

Pretty sure there is a ladder leading back up near a waterfall on the leftmost side. It's near some waterfalls iirc.

Ridley327

Bed of Chaos gave me real problems yesterday. For the final jump I would always panic and get knocked off or jump into the pit. I think it took 15 tries at least. But then all of a sudden everything clicked and I "got it". Could someone tell me who or what that was inside that I killed? I traded the lordsoul before reading what it said.

lol that thing kinda reminded me of that little ghoul you fight in Sin and Punishment 2 with the cranes.

The Bed of Chaos is a result of the Witch of Izalith using pyromancy to replicate the First Flame, but instead created the source of all demons. Whoops.

koryuken

The witch of Izalith tried to create the tree of life, but instead created a perversion that spawns monsters. I think you kill some sort of parasite that is the source of the tree's power.

Thanks guys. I love the lore in this game so much! I assume that was the "pygmie" they mention in the opening movie along with Nito and the rest.

Grief.exe

That's the witch of Izalith, mother to Quelagg, Quelanna, Ceaseless Discharge, and more.
She took one of the original Lord Souls and helped kill off the dragons with her fire magic.

She attempted to copy her Lord Soul and birthed Demons in Lost Izalith and the Demon Ruins.
Gwynn came to put down the Demons and used sunlight bonds to constrict her arms and hold in her power. You destroyed those, unleashing her, then stabbed her in the heart.
To be honest, I don't actually know what that little thing you killed was, maybe what was left of her.

Use a homeward bone

Or you can dodge by the black knight, into a cavern and you will come to a bonfire. Go beyond that and into the valley of drakes, turn left, dodge two drakes, and go up to New Londo Ruins, then to firelink.

If you don't have the master key you can duck into the back of blight town and get it real quick, also in the valley of drakes.

arit

You could use a homeward bone.

Wait what?
What hinted at this? I'm pretty sure Manus predates all the lords.

He is the father of the Abyss. The description of his soul states that he was clearly human. He is surrounded by humanities and the pygmy is shown to be the first humanity in the opening cinematic. Yet you are correct that he predates many of the characters, but not the lords.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He is the father of the Abyss. The description of his soul states that he was clearly human. He is surrounded by humanities and the pygmy is shown to be the first humanity in the opening cinematic. Yet you are correct that he predates many of the characters, but not the lords.
I'm pretty sure all the Lords were also humans.

koryuken

I'm pretty sure all the Lords were also humans.

I'm pretty sure the Lords were all Gods. Similar to Zues and his cohorts in Greek mythology. This is why Gwyn loses his deity status and gets downgraded after using his powers to rekindle the first flame. He WAS called the Lord of Sunlight but then became the Lord of Cinder.

Haly

Well
it IS heavily implied that the pygmy is your ancestor so if you killed Manus then you pretty much killed your great grand dad.

Haly

The pygmy is definitely not the first human. Humans came out of the flame first, and the pygmy was later one lucky human who found a lord soul. In the cinematic, you see a bunch of skeletal figures rise from the ground. Those aren't hollows, they're people.

koryuken

The pygmy is definitely not the first human. Humans came out of the flame first, and the pygmy was later one lucky human who found a lord soul.

everything I've read online suggests that he is the first human being. He also created the abyss, which is the scourge of this land. Are the developers implying something about humans ?? :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
everything I've read online suggests that he is the first human being. He also created the abyss, which is the scourge of this land. Are the developers implying something about humans ?? :)

Cant be, Quelana is the daughter of a lord and is human. three of the descendants of the izalith lord seem to have been human. Gwyn looks human, the witch looks human, Nito looks to have been human. The only way the pygmy could be the progenerator of humanity is if he was something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

well its the scourge of the gods, not necessarily of the land.
Since all the gods seem connected to Gwyn; snuffing out the lord souls would be the doom of them all. And without the everlasting dragons around, humans would be on top.

Haly

Okay thinking about it a bit more it makes sense that
Manus is in fact the pygmy because Kaathe convinced Oolacile to awaken him, and Kaathe is in cahoots with the pygmy. Or it's possible that they're both just making use of Manus' influence to expand the Abyss, which is relevant to their goals (to usurp the gods and usher in the age of Darkness/Humans).

Grief.exe

Cant be, Quelana is the daughter of a lord and is human. three of the descendants of the izalith lord seem to have been human. Gwyn looks human, the witch looks human, Nito looks to have been human. The only way the pygmy could be the progenerator of humanity is if he was something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

In Dark Souls, just because they have human traits, doesn't mean they are humans. Keep that in mind.

None of those you just listed are actually humans at all. See: artorias in the DLC, he couldn't go through the Abyss because he "didn't have a murmur of Dark"

Dark being the synonym for humanity.

Since all the gods seem connected to Gwyn; snuffing out the lord souls would be the doom of them all. And without the everlasting dragons around, humans would be on top.

Yes exactly. I don't know whether you are arguing with me, or making a statement, or what. But I agree.
I love how the story for the game is essentially a puzzle you piece together. I am almost at the end and didn't know most of the stuff y'all are talking about. It sounds like a bunch of historians sifting through lost tomes and artifacts. With varying theories and observations throughout. NG+ is going to be me finding out what the heck happened on Lordran.

I would buy a lore/art book for this game in an instant.

Check out Epic Name Bro on youtube. He has a lot of lore videos that you can watch.

I was actually watching one today, while I was supposed to be studying for a Physics test tomorrow, that he made months ago.

And he actually correctly guessed the location of Oolicile and a lot of other things that had to do with the DLC.

Okay thinking about it a bit more it makes sense that
Manus is in fact the pygmy because Kaathe convinced Oolacile to awaken him, and Kaathe is in cahoots with the pygmy. Or it's possible that they're both just making use of Manus' influence to expand the Abyss, which is relevant to their goals (to usurp the gods and usher in the age of Darkness/Humans).

An interesting theory is Kaathe and Frampt are working together the whole time, and just playing both sides so they make sure they are on top. Use you to keep the flame alive, they can ally with Gwyndolin, the last remaining god in the land, and still have power. Help you usher in the Age of Dark, side with you and still keep their power. And either way, they only have to murder either you or Gwyndolin and they will have all of the power.

Either way its obvious that Kaathe has been trying to usher in the age of dark for thousands of years and snuffing out the gods. Its pretty obvious that pure Humanity, or the abyss, instantly kills the gods or drives them insane, case in point Artorias had a piece of Gwyn's soul

Here is a really good lore video for you guys by the way.

Has heavy spoilers for the DLC and the main game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d82kJlb5Us&feature=plcp

I love how the story for the game is essentially a puzzle you piece together. I am almost at the end and didn't know most of the stuff y'all are talking about. It sounds like a bunch of historians sifting through lost tomes and artifacts. With varying theories and observations throughout. NG+ is going to be me finding out what the heck happened on Lordran.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
In Dark Souls, just because they have human traits, doesn't mean they are humans. Keep that in mind.
that's speculation. there's no distinction made between the humans and the people you call not-humans other than the lord soul they received.

There's no reason to assume they were different [but identical in looks and ability] before the lords received their souls from the first flame.

So No. there clearly was a human race before the flame and it was artificially split by the first flame. The flame allowed for a disparity between "Gods" [people who received lord souls] and men [people who didnt], this is highlighted in the opening trailer. "but then there was fire, and with fire came disparity"

None of those you just listed are actually humans at all. See: artorias in the DLC, he couldn't go through the Abyss because he "didn't have a murmur of Dark"
Artorias could go throught he abyss, hell you find Sif in the abyss.

Haly

Artorias
sacrificed himself to save Sif (by giving him his shield), who you later free. Then youfinish Manus off for Artorias, fulfilling his legend as the Abysswalker. The one thing I don't get here is where "Covenant of Artorias" comes from, if he never truly walked the Abyss and instead fell to it.

Grief.exe

that's speculation. there's no distinction made between the humans and the people you call not-humans other than the lord soul they received.

There's no reason to assume they were different [but identical in looks and ability] before the lords received their souls from the first flame.

So No. there clearly was a human race before the flame and it was artificially split by the first flame. The flame allowed for a disparity between "Gods" [people who received lord souls] and men [people who didnt], this is highlighted in the opening trailer. "but then there was fire, and with fire came disparity"

Artorias could go throught he abyss, hell you find Sif in the abyss.

Ya he did...but you saw what happened to him when he tried
He completely loses his mind, and becomes a corrupted animal
. And Elizibeth says its because he doesn't have any Dark in him, meaning hes not human.

I mean it says in the intro, and again in the DLC, that the pygmy was the first human and that he picked up the Dark Souls after the lord souls, so that implies that humanity didn't exist until that point.

Artorias
sacrificed himself to save Sif (by giving him his shield), who you later free. Then youfinish Manus off for Artorias, fulfilling his legend as the Abysswalker. The one thing I don't get here is where "Covenant of Artorias" comes from, if he never truly walked the Abyss and instead fell to it.

Complete speculation:

I'm kind of thinking that the ring, as you see with the legend of the abysswalker, is bullshit.

The ring is just Artorias's ring, but didn't help him to walk the Abyss and I don't think it really helps you either. As you can walk the Abyss in the DLC freely without it.

I think its just passed down through legend that since Artorias had that ring, he could walk through the abyss. But since we find out that he truly couldn't walk the abyss without consequence, the legend around the ring is false.

Kind of doesn't work since you do die if you don't have the ring on during the main game. Could be just because of gameplay though.

It could be another false legend that Kaathe passed down to guide potential humans to him as well. Just like Frampt used 'the chosen undead' myth to guide humans to him.

That's why this game is so awesome. I've never played a game with lore as rich as Dark Souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Four Kings are dead, I'm deep into the Duke's Archives now. It's great so far, I felt so lost at times, can't wait to get another meeting with Seath :D

By the way, there's a place I can't seem to be able to reach.
After you get killed by Seath and imprisoned in the cell with the bonfire (loved that twist btw), there are two doors in that cell, one you go out through after killing the guard next to it, and the other's locked, but can be opened with one of the extra keys. Now that door leads to basically nothing, except there's a ledge to the left you can't access since now the open door is in the way. Anyone managed to get there?

Also, related to my tale of depressing NPC fates,
I've ran across Siegmund's daugther, and told her I had seen him, thinking she'd want to know the truth about her father's death. She took it like he was alive and she's gonna merrily keep looking for him. Poor sweet girl. Should've left her inside that golem...

Yeah, I like to call it "archaeological narrative", and it's amazing, just letting your imagination tie the dots and recovering lore bit by bit. I love how it's something that only videogames can do to this level, just finding out what you can, reading each description, paying attention to where that item was located, etc. I luv it :3

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I don't understand how I'm sposed to kite Ceaseless Discharge. He gets to a spot where he'll just slap his hands if I'm close or breathe fire if I walk away. Can't lead him to the pit.

Top Bottom