• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

SJRB

Gold Member
It's not uncommon. Don't know the reason fir it, but a simple homeward bone always fixes it.

I considered that, but I didn't remember which bonfire I last rested at. Restarting the game fixed it though, so no big deal [fortunately].

Anyway, time to kick some Capra Demon ass!

I need to find a summon sign pronto, haha

Thrakier

Quelaag and Priscilla's

Queelags Sword I already have so that's probably done. Priscilla I didn't even fight yet. So I'll happily consume SOULS AND LEVEL UP MUHARHAR.

Anyway...where should I go next? Just did the bed of chaos. I thought I can find a light source in lost izalith for the giants section?

Nope. Just bought, fresh install. Restarted, too. Just says that DARK SOULS PREPARE TO DIE EDITION executable has stopped working.

disable steam community in-game. I still crash every other time I try to start it, but I can at least get in eventually with that disabled. this happens quite a bit with games which use gfwl, it's like they're fighting for our souls upon initialisation.

Just took out (just before O+S in Anor Londo)
Lautrec and his friends
. I forgot how easy that is if you plan it well. Still on 9 VIT using +10 Uchi, or +2 lightning Iaito. I've been almost exclusively two handing and just having grass crest shield on my back for the stamina regen and sometimes using power within for fun.

I've been using the Wolf and East Wood Grain Rings. I thought about Havel's but with the nerf to EWGR, I like the slightly lower defense, but high poise with Wolf. Anyone have any other ideas?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Queelags Sword I already have so that's probably done. Priscilla I didn't even fight yet. So I'll happily consume SOULS AND LEVEL UP MUHARHAR.

Anyway...where should I go next? Just did the bed of chaos. I thought I can find a light source in lost izalith for the giants section?
Quelaag has two weapons, the other is the better Dex weapon, Chaos Blade.

It's a Katana.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ascension consumes the soul, you'll need to get her on NG+.

Vaporak

Well, damn you gaffer who told me to choose Queelags Sword for a Dex build when I asked!! Be damned! (It feels like everything you do in this game is "wrong")

The Fury sword is good to, don't worry about it. The chaos blade also damages you every time you attack with it.

gogogow

I don't get it. I have the Fire Zweihander at +5 and want to keep upgrading it to +6, +7 etc.. I have enough souls, enough red titanite chunks. But somehow I can't upgrade it?! The weapon is not on the list?!

I got invaded at the top of Sen's Fortress and it turned into a 20 minute cat and mouse battle. I eventually lost and got a message through gfwl further rubbing salt in my wounds, so I sent one back that said 'haha, but now you better help me beat the boss' and he totally put down his sign and helped me beat the boss. Good times.

Yay, Painted World was an absolute treasure trove of useful stuff. Very nice change of pace...but still unpleasant, what with all the impaled dudes everywhere. Interesting boss too.

But I found this icky little dried finger. Any idea what the heck it does?

Sullichin

Yay, Painted World was an absolute treasure trove of useful stuff. Very nice change of pace...but still unpleasant, what with all the impaled dudes everywhere. Interesting boss too.

But I found this icky little dried finger. Any idea what the heck it does?

It allows you to get invaded more frequently. If you use it, you can potentially get invaded by someone even if they just invaded and killed you. It's useful when you are doing PVP and waiting for invasions, because it resets a built-in, totally hidden-to-the-user invasion timer. It's gotta be the most obtuse item in the game.

It allows you to get invaded more frequently. If you use it, you can potentially get invaded by someone even if they just invaded and killed you. It's gotta be the most obtuse item in the game.

Ha! That's pretty strange. Nice to know what it does though. The item description sure doesn't tell me much other than how icky it is.

I am starting to feel depressed now. I don't want this game to end. Is NG+ rewarding?

zkylon

zkylewd
Beaten Seath at last, and found the DLC area by accident :p

Chimera boss was pretty easy, but I think I'm overleveled (SL 71, Iaito +15)

Could someone please explain how I can co-op with a friend? I've placed a sign but he can't see it.

He's lvl 14 and I'm 8. We're at the bonfire beneath the Hellkite dragon (the one down a ladder).

edit: After a few tries I saw his sign instead, but I got Summoning Failed. Is this common?
The host has to be in human form and can't have already beaten the area boss. The host can summon players hollowed or human within +/- (10 + 15%) of the host's soul level who have placed their white soapstone sign. Since the game is p2p you get connected to only a group of people to potentially connect with instead of everyone.

If you've put down your sign and he can't see it, you can try replacing the sign every 30 seconds or so as each time you lay down your sign it and reconnects to a new batch of players. The problem with this is that it takes a while to refresh the signs so by the time the host sees it and tries to connect you may have already replaced the sign and the connection will fail. Otherwise you could lay down your sign and leave it alone and have the host occasionally lay down his for a few seconds and remove it as that will also cycle the signs that the host sees.

Make sure you both have an open NAT. Even if you both have an open nat and meet the requirements for coop you may not always see the other's sign or successfully connect because the online in this game is busted.

Grief.exe

Go to your router and open the nat, turn on unp, open port 3074, and turn off any firewalls.

Hung over and I have connected a few times and the trick is for the one to be summoned to put down his sign. Then the host put down his sign about every 20 secs. This cycles through the servers and eventually you will see your friend.

If you're using upnp you don't need to port forward 3074. If you're not using upnp or it's not working then look up how to port forward for GFWL (port 3074 is the main one for p2p connections) but keep in mind that it uses the same ports as XBL in case you have a 360.

You can see your NAT type in GFWL by bringing up the guide, going to settings, then network.

Vaporak

Could someone please explain how I can co-op with a friend? I've placed a sign but he can't see it.

He's lvl 14 and I'm 8. We're at the bonfire beneath the Hellkite dragon (the one down a ladder).

edit: After a few tries I saw his sign instead, but I got Summoning Failed. Is this common?

I hear that BEFORE loading a game, going into GFWL and doing some invite to party thing helps you see a specific persons summon sign. But the networking in this game is shit and co-op and PVP fail vastly more often than they succeed.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Quelaag and Priscilla's

finally got my lifehunt staff to +5. i remembered i had a +10 black bow so i just bought 200 arrows and wrecked the respawning Titanite Demon demon in Izalith.

such a glorious weapon. wish it had slightly better range though.

Sullichin

Anyone have any idea how to deal with two chimera at once

these guys are lightning roided assholes

I didn't realize until today that they respawn. Yeah, I mean even after you kill both of them, they both just come back. Only 3,000 souls a pop too. I was able to kill them by running back to the entrance, baiting their attacks (getting smashed in the process), and popping out of the cave with a 2HR2 Reinforced club attack when I could. Once it's down to one it's easy.

Got to DLC area on deprived character, took out sanctuary guardian without much trouble. I can tell I'll be able to beat Artorias, I died a couple of times but I just have to be more patient.

...4 Kings on the other hand, fuck. A +15 club with only 11 STR even with resin doesn't have enough AR to beat these guys quickly enough to only deal with one king at at time. Don't know how I'm going to do this.

...4 Kings on the other hand, fuck. A +15 club with only 11 STR even with resin doesn't have enough AR to beat these guys quickly enough to only deal with one king at at time. Don't know how I'm going to do this.
do you have to use the club? I took them down with 9 vit earlier today using purely pyromancy.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Boss fights are the lifeblood of this game

especially when the bosses become regular enemies to put your growth in perspective.

couldnt even beat the first taurus demon without exploiting its AI but today 3 on 1 wasn't even a cause for concern. makes me wonder what i was even doing/thinking to have been unable to dodge its attacks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Beat 'im. Took me a bunch of tries, and a bucketload of Estus, but it was cool as hell. Hope I get to see the guy again...

Momentary

Banned
What is the best great sword/ ultra great sword in the game.
I keep hearing that it's the non cursed greatsword from the soul of Sif.
I don't see how.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't see how.

For me it's probably the Claymore or the Moonlight Greastsword, depending on your build. But it really comes down to liking the move sets and timings, Zweihander isn't bad either.

Artorias swords aren't that great unless you build around them, otherwise their outclassed pretty easily.
Obsidian Greatsword
is good too.

KSai

It was bugging me like hell, but I finally found out where From Software got the inspiration for Lordran and Boletaria.

Mont_Saint-Michel.jpg

Mont Saint Michel in France. Thank you Moyashimon season 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
Dear lord I just had the most tense fight with a Black Phantom in my entire Dark Souls career. I was in a pretty secluded room that you can't easily reach, so the guy spent like five minutes looking for me, as I was looking for him. I would sometimes see the guy run and get into a hallway, only to lose him as I got to where he was. We finally found each other, dueled, I got destroyed :p

PVP is pretty hit or miss right now. Probably has to do with my ping, but I'm never completely sure my attack landed or not, and then there's the lagstabbing. The DLC area is pretty fun for this, though, you get invaded quite a lot.

Vaporak

I don't see how.

I don't think there really is one, unless you're obscenely high level and then the greatsword of Artorias is the best.

Hzoltan69

If you cross the bridge with the titanite demon, you should find the Sunlight Maggot there.

zkylon

zkylewd
The DLC was pretty great, haven't finished it yet, but the dungeons are among the best in the game (I feel the Souls games shine the brightest in city/castle levels) and Artorias really sets a new high for boss design. He's just so freaking cool and scary.

The PVP arena, I waited for a bit but didn't find any matches...

Top Bottom