• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

koryuken

Dear lord I just had the most tense fight with a Black Phantom in my entire Dark Souls career. I was in a pretty secluded room that you can't easily reach, so the guy spent like five minutes looking for me, as I was looking for him. I would sometimes see the guy run and get into a hallway, only to lose him as I got to where he was. We finally found each other, dueled, I got destroyed :p

PVP is pretty hit or miss right now. Probably has to do with my ping, but I'm never completely sure my attack landed or not, and then there's the lagstabbing. The DLC area is pretty fun for this, though, you get invaded quite a lot.

I had the craziest PVP fight ever... I was dueling a guy in Undead Burg when I got invaded by another red phantom. The honor-less bastards both turned on me and I got backstabbed by the guy that I was originally fighting. I started fighting them BOTH lol and I prevailed!!! (of course I used healing items since it was 2 v 1) I killed one guy with a great chaos fireball and killed the second guy with my Chaos Blade... this was the best feeling I've ever had playing any videogame. Holy shit lol.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Bridge with titanite demon....hmmm...ah fuck. This guy. He's beating me. :(

just run past him, you dont have to fight.

also if you open up the shortcut by the maggot, the demon will start to respawn after death.
if you kill him before opening the shortcut, he supposedly does not respawn.

Thrakier

There are a few text messages wich catch my feelings pretty great:

"I can't take this"
"Sorrow ahead"
"Imminent hollow"
"My heart is breaking"

and so on.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can anyone give me a rundown on what pyromancy spells are worth getting?

I've been reading up and it seems a lot of spells are not worth the investment.

So I've been playing Demon's Souls for the first time this past week, and holy shit at that final battle with The False King. Haven't been too impressed with some of Demon's boss battles, especially compared to Dark, but wow. This guy gives Gwyn a run for his money. Still haven't beaten him :(

Jintor

Fuck the Bed of Chaos and its motherfucking hour long walk to get back to him after you are instantly killed by his near un-avoidable PILLARS OF FLAME attack that he'll occasionally initiate the moment you slide into his arena. Even with the shortcut open that's a god damn marathon past a giant douchebag respawning demon and a bunch of flaming statutes.

/edit FUCK! Nearly ran straight onto the root but chose to jump in case I didn't make it, rolled on the root, fell off during recovery animation. MOTHER FUCKER.

//edit GOT THE BASTARD. Now only the Catacombs remain. That's enough for tonight I think.

Midou

Fuck the Bed of Chaos and its motherfucking hour long walk to get back to him after you are instantly killed by his near un-avoidable PILLARS OF FLAME attack that he'll occasionally initiate the moment you slide into his arena. Even with the shortcut open that's a god damn marathon past a giant douchebag respawning demon and a bunch of flaming statutes.

It sounds like you may have missed the bonfire closer to him.

cm osi

So I've been playing Demon's Souls for the first time this past week, and holy shit at that final battle with The False King. Haven't been too impressed with some of Demon's boss battles, especially compared to Dark, but wow. This guy gives Gwyn a run for his money. Still haven't beaten him :(

false king is still da boss.

1281880267342.png

krakov

I don't think there really is one, unless you're obscenely high level and then the greatsword of Artorias is the best.

I think it's debateable even if you are at the max level. It's pretty shit at 40 str/dex/int/fai at least. Split damage, no buffs.

Demon great machete +15 has similar AR at 27 str if twohanded. All physical damage and buffable.

Mort

Banned
The pygmy is definitely not the first human. Humans came out of the flame first, and the pygmy was later one lucky human who found a lord soul. In the cinematic, you see a bunch of skeletal figures rise from the ground. Those aren't hollows, they're people.

Director Miyazaki has stated that all humans are decended from the Pygmy. All humans have inherited a piece of the Dark Soul, know as humanity, from the Pygmy. If the Pygmy wasn't the first human, it's something very similar to mitochondrial eve where all of humanity is still decended from it. Either way, since the Dark Soul is what separates the humans from the gods, it would still be correct to refer to the pygmy as The First Human since it is the first to obtain any part of the Dark Soul.

Given the baldness and the thin bodies, the prologue implies that all humans and gods were hollows before the advent of fire. What type of soul they found likely determined if one was a god or a human. Those with the Lord souls and other firebased souls became lords and gods. The pygmy found the Dark Soul, and it's decendents became what is known as humans.

That said, the prologue is also a bit fuzzy on that. Gwyn has an Uncle, All father Loyde, which implies he had parents. So what exactly happened before the First Fire and the claiming of the Lord Souls is extremely uncertain and nebulous.

Link to the information about the Dark Soul here:
http://pastebin.com/4axrD3nW

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah this game's lore is pretty amazing. It's also equally amazing how much lore people seem to extract from the game.

Link to the information about the Dark Soul here:
http://pastebin.com/4axrD3nW

Holy shit at this part:

(P): About that, there actually is a odd way of going through blighttown. There are toxic blowdarters.
(IM): yea yea
(P): The Dung Pie is toxic so if you self intoxicate yourself, toxic does not stack so you are safe from the blowdarters
(M): but you're toxic now
(P): The dung pie toxic is a lot weaker than the blow dart toxic.
(I): So you...
(P): The toxic from Dung Pie and toxic from blow darts should have different damage output.
(M): Waaaaa
(I): To avoid being intoxicated you inflict it on yourself.
(P): Its a popular way for us to beat Blighttown.
(I): So thats why its there!
(M): Didn't think of that
(P): No its not. We found that loophole but if you go through the trouble of intoxicating yourself that its okay too. Kinda like the flu
(I): Yea I see
(P): Immunization

Sullichin

Started (yet another) new character to play when I get frustrated with my deprived character. Started as a warrior and went to the catacombs very first thing to join the gravelord servant and get the gravelord sword. That is a really strong weapon to get so early. I can use it 2H at level 7.
Wanted to do a combination of gravelording/co-op with this character. It's a shame that online is so borked in the PC version :/

Anyone have any advice getting it to work if my router is an Apple Time Capsule? It apparently doesn't support UPNP. I do have the ports mapped. NAT is open, upnp is unavailable.

Thrakier

Started (yet another) new character to play when I get frustrated with my deprived character. Started as a warrior and went to the catacombs very first thing to join the gravelord servant and get the gravelord sword. That is a really strong weapon to get so early. I can use it 2H at level 7.
Wanted to do a combination of gravelording/co-op with this character. It's a shame that online is so borked in the PC version :/

Anyone have any advice getting it to work if my router is an Apple Time Capsule? It apparently doesn't support UPNP. I do have the ports mapped. NAT is open, upnp is unavailable.

If they do another DS they need to rework the online system. Immersion is important, but it's not everything. I'll take a working summoning system every day over this random sign thing.

Sullichin

If they do another DS they need to rework the online system. Immersion is important, but it's not everything. I'll take a working summoning system every day over this random sign thing.

It works fine on PS3 for the most part. I like the summoning system and playing with strangers, it just doesn't work most of the time on PC for me.

You mean like a regular co-op mode where you just join friends from a list? Fuck that.

They just need to bring back dedicated servers so there aren't any connection problems.

Holy shit, finally beat the False King (Demon's Souls) in the most nailbiting way possible. He soul sucked me twice, both of those soul levels having been put in END. As a result, my armor got too heavy for a fast roll, and I only had to hit him 3 more times. Couldnt take the risk of opening the menu and getting rid of some armor, so I just went for it.

Wow. I need a 3rd Souls game NOW.

DO YOU HEAR ME, FROM

Gigglepoo

Is it worth it to upgrade shields? The one I've been using (Knight Shield) doesn't change its defensive statistics, and I don't use my shields for offense. Now that I have my sword, bow, and armor maxed out, I'm looking to upgrade something, but it seems like a waste to put more effort into my shield.

Is it worth it to upgrade shields? The one I've been using (Knight Shield) doesn't change its defensive statistics, and I don't use my shields for offense. Now that I have my sword, bow, and armor maxed out, I'm looking to upgrade something, but it seems like a waste to put more effort into my shield.
Absolutely. Upgrading shields increases their stability. The higher the stability the less stamina is drained on block.

LiK

Upgrading shields increases Stability. Equally important if you block more than dodge.

Sullichin

Holy shit, finally beat the False King (Demon's Souls) in the most nailbiting way possible. He soul sucked me twice, both of those soul levels having been put in END. As a result, my armor got too heavy for a fast roll, and I only had to hit him 3 more times. Couldnt take the risk of opening the menu and getting rid of some armor, so I just went for it.

Wow. I need a 3rd Souls game NOW.

DO YOU HEAR ME, FROM

Nice, reminds me of the first time I beat him, I had to take my pants off in the middle of the fight.

Surprisingly, I'm actually getting gravelord invasions. Currently gravelording the parish... annoying that you can't gravelord somewhere where you've beaten the boss, this is going to limit my options.

Nice, reminds me of the first time I beat him, I had to take my pants off in the middle of the fight.

Surprisingly, I'm actually getting gravelord invasions. Currently gravelording the parish... annoying that you can't gravelord somewhere where you've beaten the boss, this is going to limit my options.

you know its funny i never had any trouble with false king. neither the two gargoyles.

however, the fire spider screwed me 5 ways from sunday. its always been like that for me. all the bosses that give everyone trouble i breeze through, yet i get stuck on the bosses that everyone else just runs through.

also, i wish i had a dark souls buddy to do awesome things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYsQvMo2iM

Thrakier

You mean like a regular co-op mode where you just join friends from a list? Fuck that.

They just need to bring back dedicated servers so there aren't any connection problems.

Some sort of Lobby maybe. Or show all ghosts so uat least you KNOW that there are guys waiting for you (or other way around). Standing around for 10 minutes and you don't know if something is gonna happen...fuck that.

Sullichin

you know its funny i never had any trouble with false king. neither the two gargoyles.

however, the fire spider screwed me 5 ways from sunday. its always been like that for me. all the bosses that give everyone trouble i breeze through, yet i get stuck on the bosses that everyone else just runs through.

also, i wish i had a dark souls buddy to do awesome things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYsQvMo2iM

If you're talking about the armor spider from Demon's Souls, I agree. I freaking hate that boss. False King didn't give me any trouble either until I tried to beat him at SL1. And one of my most hated bosses first time around in DkS was Priscilla :p

That golem axe looks fun to use...

I was so happy that I finally got my first invasion to work that I fell and killed myself in front of the guy. Hope he lol'd as hard as I did! :D

SJRB

Gold Member
O shit, Lautrec is gone from Firelink Shrine. How the hell is this possible? I just rescued the pyromancer from the Depths, I haven't even rung the second bell.

The Firekeeper is still alive though, fortunately. But I need his ring, damnit.

O shit, Lautrec is gone from Firelink Shrine. How the hell is this possible? I just rescued the pyromancer from the Depths, I haven't even rung the second bell.

The Firekeeper is still alive though, fortunately. But I need his ring, damnit.

He sometimes just isn't there. If you didn't fight him, he should be back.

zkylon

zkylewd
I had the craziest PVP fight ever... I was dueling a guy in Undead Burg when I got invaded by another red phantom. The honor-less bastards both turned on me and I got backstabbed by the guy that I was originally fighting. I started fighting them BOTH lol and I prevailed!!! (of course I used healing items since it was 2 v 1) I killed one guy with a great chaos fireball and killed the second guy with my Chaos Blade... this was the best feeling I've ever had playing any videogame. Holy shit lol.
If I'm in a 2v1 situation, I try to stay out of the fight between the host and the invader, and just block their possible exits, so they can duel to the death, like they should. I don't do as much in the Forest Hunter invasions, though, there I just turn to every dirty trick I can think of: luring the fuckers into monsters, poisoning, waiting for more phantoms, etc... :p

Yeah, The False King was amazing, I couldn't beat him in NG+, and my heart was racing like I was gonna die when I killed him in NG. Such an amazing rush.

Defeated Gwyn, Lord of Cinder.

That's it? Easiest boss in the game after Pinwheel. I parried all of his attacks with ease.

He's a lot harder if you don't parry, at least that was my experience. I parried him on my first playthrough and then fought normally in NG+.

So I have a question, hope it hasn't been asked too many times, but this is a huge thread. I am going to get the DLC when it comes out for consoles - do I have to start a new game to play it? Or can I start a new game now, open up all the areas, and be "prepared" for it to arrive? Also, where are the new areas accessed from?

Sullichin

He's a lot harder if you don't parry, at least that was my experience. I parried him on my first playthrough and then fought normally in NG+.

So I have a question, hope it hasn't been asked too many times, but this is a huge thread. I am going to get the DLC when it comes out for consoles - do I have to start a new game to play it? Or can I start a new game now, open up all the areas, and be "prepared" for it to arrive?

There are certain conditions that must be met to get to the DLC area. I wonder if there's going to be an explanation or people are just going to have to plunk down $15 and find out for themselves/look it up online. You need to have cleared Anor Londo on your current playthrough...

- Rescue Dusk from the crystal golem after killing the hydra
- Get an item from a new crystal golem in Duke's Archives
- Bring it back to where Dusk was.

SJRB

Gold Member
He sometimes just isn't there. If you didn't fight him, he should be back.

You were right, he returned after I restarted the game. When you gotta go, you gotta go I suppose.

Also - I'm using the Crest Shield from Oscar of Astora and thinking of upgrading it. It requires twinkling titanite though, and since those are rather rare at this point I wonder if it's worth it. What shield are you guys using?

There are certain conditions that must be met to get to the DLC area. I wonder if there's going to be an explanation or people are just going to have to plunk down $15 and find out for themselves/look it up online. You need to have cleared Anor Londo on your current playthrough...

- Rescue Dusk from the crystal golem after killing the hydra
- Get an item from a new crystal golem in Duke's Archives
- Bring it back to where Dusk was.

Thanks! Can I do this stuff now with my current save game (ng++), or do I have to wait until the DLC is installed for it to "trigger?" I'm concerned that it wouldn't activate. Would hate to play all the way through Anor Londo only to have to do it again immediately.

Sullichin

Thanks! Can I do this stuff now with my current save game (ng++), or do I have to wait until the DLC is installed for it to "trigger?" I'm concerned that it wouldn't activate. Would hate to play all the way through Anor Londo only to have to do it again immediately.

I'm sure you can do all the stuff now, except
get the item from the new golem in Duke's Archives because it won't be there yet.
But you can probably do everything else and save that last step until the DLC hits, i'd imagine.

You were right, he returned after I restarted the game. When you gotta go, you gotta go I suppose.

Also - I'm using the Crest Shield from Oscar of Astora and thinking of upgrading it. It requires twinkling titanite though, and since those are rather rare at this point I wonder if it's worth it. What shield are you guys using?

Crest shield is great against 4 Kings and other bosses that have magic attacks. You can just purchase twinkling titanite later in the game, they become the easiest weapons/armor to upgrade, which is kind of silly.

I'm sure you can do all the stuff now, except
get the item from the new golem in Duke's Archives because it won't be there yet.
But you can probably do everything else and save that last step until the DLC hits, i'd imagine.

Crest shield is great against 4 Kings and other bosses that have magic attacks. You can just purchase twinkling titanite later in the game, they become the easiest weapons/armor to upgrade, which is kind of silly.

Sounds great, thanks very much. I would be playing it already if my computer could handle it.

Thrakier

OMG, the way to Tomb of Giants is pissing me off so hard. First of all it's too dark, so I need to get a light and do a completly different level. Ok, so far so good, game design, I can live with that. Then, I got smacked down twice from TWO GIANT SKELETONS right next to each other attacking me asynch so that I have no chance in hell to block or roll away. GREAT! I go there again, I get to this fucker who throws me down the pit. Thanks. I'll die down there, not being able to defeat his two fucking friends and like 20 of those huge ass skeleton wall thingys, whatever it is.

Then I go there again and this time, I fall through the floor into the endless pit of glitches. Fuuuuuuuark. And I ran this way already like 20 times before, that's the worst part of it. When you are clearing the catacombs first, you already have to go the same way over and over again when you die. So I probably ran the same way like...30 times or so. Just wow. They should at least give an hint where the next bonfire is. Or put it right at the beginning of a level. I don't have a problem with a challenging or even hard or unfair game, but letting me run the same part over and over again which is no challenge anymore at all feels just like I'm wasting lifetime. You know, life, the thing you got only once. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I have this strange black shadow that seems to outline objects when they're in front of other objects. Is this because of something in the DSFix or is it part of the game?

OMG, the way to Tomb of Giants is pissing me off so hard. First of all it's too dark, so I need to get a light and do a completly different level. Ok, so far so good, game design, I can live with that. Then, I got smacked down twice from TWO GIANT SKELETONS right next to each other attacking me asynch so that I have no chance in hell to block or roll away. GREAT! I go there again, I get to this fucker who throws me down the pit. Thanks. I'll die down there, not being able to defeat his two fucking friends and like 20 of those huge ass skeleton wall thingys, whatever it is.

Then I go there again and this time, I fall through the floor into the endless pit of glitches. Fuuuuuuuark. And I ran this way already like 20 times before, that's the worst part of it. When you are clearing the catacombs first, you already have to go the same way over and over again when you die. So I probably ran the same way like...30 times or so. Just wow. They should at least give an hint where the next bonfire is. Or put it right at the beginning of a level. I don't have a problem with a challenging or even hard or unfair game, but letting me run the same part over and over again which is no challenge anymore at all feels just like I'm wasting lifetime. You know, life, the thing you got only once. :(
You can aggro those first two skeletons one at a time if you don't go too far from the slide/drop. There are 3 things in the game that give light to TotG, so you don't have to do another area first, one of them is a drop in the Catacombs.

Once you learn the layout of TotG and the enemy placements, you can actually run through the whole thing without a single enemy encounter. As Sinatar said, the first bonfire is near
Patches

Also, there is a super super quick shortcut through almost the entire Catacombs down to Pinwheel's room, it literally takes seconds to get from the Catacombs entrance at Firelink to TotG.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So I have this strange black shadow that seems to outline objects when they're in front of other objects. Is this because of something in the DSFix or is it part of the game?

That's called Ambient Occlusion. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.

You can aggro those first two skeletons one at a time if you don't go too far from the slide/drop. There are 3 things in the game that give light to TotG, so you don't have to do another area first, one of them is a drop in the Catacombs.

Once you learn the layout of TotG and the enemy placements, you can actually run through the whole thing without a single enemy encounter. As Sinatar said, the first bonfire is near
Patches

Also, there is a super super quick shortcut through almost the entire Catacombs down to Pinwheel's room, it literally takes seconds to get from the Catacombs entrance at Firelink to TotG.

And what is this shortcut kind sir? :3

Top Bottom