• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

i-Lo

So I have this strange black shadow that seems to outline objects when they're in front of other objects. Is this because of something in the DSFix or is it part of the game?

I think it's called Screen Space Ambient Occlusion and often it sticks out like a sore thumb due to inaccurate shadowing when not implemented correctly.

Holy shit, the Witch Beatrice just saved my ass against Four Kings. I had the fourth king down to a 10th of his life when he grabbed hold of me with 50% health left. There's no way I would have survived it. But there she was, the Witch Beatrice to the rescue with a soul arrow up the fourth king's ass before he completed the grab animation.

YOU DEFEATED

Beatrice <3

OMG, the way to Tomb of Giants is pissing me off so hard. First of all it's too dark, so I need to get a light and do a completly different level. Ok, so far so good, game design, I can live with that. Then, I got smacked down twice from TWO GIANT SKELETONS right next to each other attacking me asynch so that I have no chance in hell to block or roll away. GREAT! I go there again, I get to this fucker who throws me down the pit. Thanks. I'll die down there, not being able to defeat his two fucking friends and like 20 of those huge ass skeleton wall thingys, whatever it is.

Then I go there again and this time, I fall through the floor into the endless pit of glitches. Fuuuuuuuark. And I ran this way already like 20 times before, that's the worst part of it. When you are clearing the catacombs first, you already have to go the same way over and over again when you die. So I probably ran the same way like...30 times or so. Just wow. They should at least give an hint where the next bonfire is. Or put it right at the beginning of a level. I don't have a problem with a challenging or even hard or unfair game, but letting me run the same part over and over again which is no challenge anymore at all feels just like I'm wasting lifetime. You know, life, the thing you got only once. :(

You have yet to meet the true horror of the Tomb: the giant skeleton dogs. They make the regular giant skeletons look like babies.

UrbanRats

So I have this strange black shadow that seems to outline objects when they're in front of other objects. Is this because of something in the DSFix or is it part of the game?

It's SSAO, tone it down in the DSfix.ini, i keep it at 2, but you can deactivate it completely with 0.

zkylon

zkylewd
OMG, the way to Tomb of Giants is pissing me off so hard. First of all it's too dark, so I need to get a light and do a completly different level. Ok, so far so good, game design, I can live with that. Then, I got smacked down twice from TWO GIANT SKELETONS right next to each other attacking me asynch so that I have no chance in hell to block or roll away. GREAT! I go there again, I get to this fucker who throws me down the pit. Thanks. I'll die down there, not being able to defeat his two fucking friends and like 20 of those huge ass skeleton wall thingys, whatever it is.

Then I go there again and this time, I fall through the floor into the endless pit of glitches. Fuuuuuuuark. And I ran this way already like 20 times before, that's the worst part of it. When you are clearing the catacombs first, you already have to go the same way over and over again when you die. So I probably ran the same way like...30 times or so. Just wow. They should at least give an hint where the next bonfire is. Or put it right at the beginning of a level. I don't have a problem with a challenging or even hard or unfair game, but letting me run the same part over and over again which is no challenge anymore at all feels just like I'm wasting lifetime. You know, life, the thing you got only once. :(
Look left from where Patches is, there should be a path leading to a ladder. Down the ladder is a much loved bonfire, that you can warp from and into.

Joined the Darkmoon Covenant, hope this is better than the Forest Hunter. I'm almost done with NG, only the last stretch DLC area and Gwyn remain...

Vaporak

Look left from where Patches is, there should be a path leading to a ladder. Down the ladder is a much loved bonfire, that you can warp from and into.

Joined the Darkmoon Covenant, hope this is better than the Forest Hunter. I'm almost done with NG, only the last stretch DLC area and Gwyn remain...

I've got one character who's a forest covenant, and another that's a darkmoon. The darkmoon character has literally never had the darkmoon invasion work. The only way I've ever been able to get PVP to even sort of work is via the forest covenant.

And what is this shortcut kind sir? :3
There is a drop at the door of the first room in the Catacombs (after you lower the wall where the first bonfire is) - cross the little bridge to the door, stand at the little ledge besides the door, look down and drop. Then a few steps away is the drop to the ledge with Leroy's summon sign
- from there it's a straight run to Pinwheel.

You can do this immediately from first landing at Firelink Shrine from the Asylum, you can run past every enemy and so don't even need a divine weapon to get the rite of Kindling from Pinwheel. Good for speedruns/playthroughs after your first.

This is a great guide to these kind of shortcuts in the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhCaRCgelQ&feature=plcp (not recommended for first playthrough as it's better to explore and find your own way of course).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Killed Gwyn.

Realized my SL stays the same in NG+ so I can't achieve my ideal build.

Rage.

Time to do a speedrun.

Taruranto

J5Tbq.jpg

wut

Who the hell did i just kill?

Haly

What do you mean your SL stays the same? You can level up once you get out of the asylum.
I mean SL carries over so my dream build is shattered by my previous playthrough's tendency to experiment.

Haly

Ah fuck it, I'm going to get my Int to 18 and then just run around using the Abyss Great Sword.

LiK

I've got one character who's a forest covenant, and another that's a darkmoon. The darkmoon character has literally never had the darkmoon invasion work. The only way I've ever been able to get PVP to even sort of work is via the forest covenant.

yup, when i was in Forest Hunter, i kept getting invaded but anything else and it rarely happened. and by rarely, it hasn't happened at all when i was human in the other Covenants so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished up all of the Oolacile content. Goddamn Kalameet was such a badass. Took me like two and a half hours to finally get him down. I somehow managed to cut the tail, too.

I ended up cheesing Manus, though. I feel kind of bad about that.

Now the only boss left in the game for me is Gwyn. I've kindled most of the bonfires to 20, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do before NG+.

What weapons was everyone using going into NG+? Right now I'm switching between a Iaito +15 and a Artorias' Greatsword +5.

Haly

Finally finished up all of the Oolacile content. Goddamn Kalameet was such a badass. Took me like two and a half hours to finally get him down. I somehow managed to cut the tail, too.

I ended up cheesing Manus, though. I feel kind of bad about that.

Now the only boss left in the game for me is Gwyn. I've kindled most of the bonfires to 20, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should do before NG+.

What weapons was everyone using going into NG+? Right now I'm switching between a Iaito +15 and a Artorias' Greatsword +5.
Kill the other firekeepers for their souls.

I'm on my NG+ run and I'm just running around in Artorias set + Abyss Greatsword, being a badass.

I can't wait to fight NG+ Artorias as Artorias.

LiK

Kill the other firekeepers for their souls.

I'm on my NG+ run and I'm just running around in Artorias set + Abyss Greatsword, being a badass.

I can't wait to fight NG+ Artoriast as Artorias.

Kinda wish you did a stream of that

Ridley327

Question about a particular weapon for a Dex/Int build: I noticed that Velka's Rapier scales well with both Dex and Int, and it has a surprisingly versatile moveset. Is it worth upgrading?

Jintor

I somehow accidentally got to Nito while human, so I summoned a fellow outside. To my surprise it actually worked. I went in, saw him for the first time, and freaked out a little, but then I burnt him to death while my new buddy kept the skeletons off me and everything went perhaps the most hunky-dory I've ever seen it be in Dark Souls.

Couldn't take out s+o without some upgrades. I upped my vit to 20 and upgraded my armor (wanderer set with Xanthous pants), and took out o second. The armor combo is great except that I am right up against the limit so I can't wear a hat if I use the chaos blade, which is a lot of fun to use. I also want to try out Priscilla's dagger and the shotel in my offhand which means I can't use the grass crest shield for regen. This game is awesome.

Does the second undead dragon in the painted world have any relevance? It keeps ignoring me xD!

I assume you mean after you kill the Undead dragon, there is part of him just laying the path. If so, you can hit forward+R2 to do a jumping attack to get it to move. Really annoying. Though you may want to find another way to get where you are going...

ElFly

Does the second undead dragon in the painted world have any relevance? It keeps ignoring me xD!

No, it doesn't.

If you hit it hard enough, it will stand and you will see it is a pair of legs like those in lost izalith.

Completely immortal too. Funny they didn't fix that for the PTD edition.

PolishQ

I'm quite enjoying my Titanite Catch Pole +5. Just took down Artorias after a few unsuccessful tries. Now I just need to finish the DLC, take down Four Kings and the final boss, and that'll be it for my first playthrough!

LiK

not gonna lie guys, the Silver Knight Sword +5 is pretty sweet. no magic or anything but i like it. might switch when i upgrade the Black Knight Sword I just got.

i really enjoy playing as a STR/END character more. i was more about DEX/END on the consoles and I got sick of dodging.

koryuken

I am thinking of trying an Int + Moonlight sword build. How good is this build? I would imagine that it only gets better because of the persuers spell.

Thrakier

My first encounter with Niteo lastet 3 seconds and costed me 50k souls. Fuck this game. Is there a third bonfie in Giants tomb closer to the boss?

Haly

My first encounter with Niteo lastet 3 seconds and costed me 50k souls. Fuck this game. Is there a third bonfie in Giants tomb closer to the boss?
For Nito, don't enter too deeply into the cave, get close enough to him so he approaches you then just kite him back. You won't aggro too many skeletons this way.

koryuken

For Nito, don't enter too deeply into the cave, get close enough to him so he approaches you then just kite him back. You won't aggro too many skeletons this way.

Having the FireTempest pyromancy helped me quite a bit. Took like a 1/3 of his life in one shot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Where do I get this? I only do have the great fireball.
Quelana near the big wheel leading to Valley of the Drakes in Blighttown. You have to have upgraded your Pyromancy Flame to +10 for her to show up, and then talk to her a bunch of times, I think, to get the spell (maybe reload too).

koryuken

Quelana near the big wheel leading to Valley of the Drakes in Blighttown. You have to have upgraded your Pyromancy Flame to +10 for her to show up, and then talk to her a bunch of times, I think, to get the spell (maybe reload too).

She gives you the quest to destroy the bed of chaos. You get the spell from her after you kill it.

PS. If you have 30 humanities, you can get the chaos fire storm spell from the fair lady. It is a bit more powerful but requires 2 slots.

Once you know the route well enough, it's fairly easy to run to him in a matter of seconds and not need to actually fight anything. Occasionally I might mess up at the mini pin-wheels and get hit once, but generally I don't.

I actually found getting up close and personal works better, hug close and circle around to stay at his back - he tends to do a good job at taking out his own skeletons for you.

I am thinking of trying an Int + Moonlight sword build. How good is this build? I would imagine that it only gets better because of the persuers spell.

It's a pretty solid build, the weapon has a nice move set - not too slow, and scales nicely with int. Some of the sorc spells do crazy damage, especially when you get the crystallized tin catalyst or whatever (the one reduces number of casts, but cranks up the damage).

Think my sorc has 20 vit/end, 46 int, rest into Attunement and was able to clear most of the game + DLC without issue. 4 Kings ended up actually being a bit of a pain in the ass for me, but other than that most stuff fell rather quickly.

Thrakier

Is it better than the great fireball?

Thrakier

Do you have any chance against Nito without a holy weapon? I can't kill of those small skeletons for good. They always come back.

EDIT

NVM, he died like a bitch. Next: Painted world.

koryuken

Fyi, for the people using Steam. If you have an extra copy of Dark Souls to trade or are willing to buy it in exchange for Borderlands 2, I have a full digital copy of Borderlands 2 available as a gift. Pm me if interested.

Thrakier

Wow, damn, painted world is beautiful to look at and to play. Reminds me much more of Demon Souls than anything so far.

Got invaded and after noticing I could barely damage this guy I alt +F4ed. Sry. :(

Just went thorough Blighttown and entered the spider's nest. When the cutscene started I was like "oh shit oh shit oh shit, this will not end well".

Easiest boss fight so far. Phew.

Top Bottom