• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

on my current character I actually almost got killed by pinwheel when I wasn't paying attention. in my defence, I decided to see how handy paladin leeroy is in a fight, so he actually had enough health to withstand more than two of my attacks.

Ridley327

Guy summons me to help him fight O&S, attempt 1: forgets that he's got one of the giant sentinels on his ass, dies as soon as I get in

Guy summons me to help him fight O&S, attempt 2: still forgets that he's got one of the giant sentinels on his ass, doesn't die right away, we proceed to O&S, doesn't know the general strategy behind the battle and spend his time ping-ponging back and forth between the two, gets smooshed by the fatty

Guy summons me to help him fight O&S, attempt 3: I message him with some helpful advice in the form of finding Solaire's summon sign; he rushes for it while a lucky nick of a sentinel's horizontal finds me and puts me out of my misery

Guy summons me to help him fight O&S, attempt 4: Summoned into an entirely different player's game, but he knows what he's doing and we stomp O&S like it was nothing (bleeding stunlock, lol)

Guy summons me to help him fight O&S, attempt 5: first guy summons me back (gotta admire his persistence), brings live phantom along with him; proceed to stomp O&S

I proceeded to blow all my souls on Twinkling Titanite for upgrades and I don't regret it.

2AdEPT

can anyone confirm if more and more reprisals makes any difference to darkmoon blade?...if not i don't want to waste my time, but its hard to tell as i got a few extra and it seemed not to change the damage but I couldn't be sure that it wouldn't go up next time I get one etc. Is there any reason at all to get more than 10?

edit:Apparently the wiki says that it increases both at +2 and +3 rank in the covenant (but not much at +3 (2.1 vs 2.0.) Lingering dragon crest ring works with it as far as I can tell but I am unsure exactly how much benefit it brings.... and of course raising your magic adjust by getting a better talisman that scales with faith is another way to increase it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10: Darkmoon Blade and Darkmoon Talisman
30: Darkmoon Blade Miracle power increases to 2.0 * Magic Adjust
80: Darkmoon Blade Miracle power increases a second time to 2.1 * Magic Adjust

What's the deal with the Great Scythe? I upgraded it to fire and when hammering at enemies with it I occasionally do an insane amount of damage in one shot, like 500 something damage. Usually I do 70-90 per hit. I haven't observed anything of the kind in other weapons. Is it a quirk of the Great Scythe?

NBtoaster

What's the deal with the Great Scythe? I upgraded it to fire and when hammering at enemies with it I occasionally do an insane amount of damage in one shot, like 500 something damage. Usually I do 70-90 per hit. I haven't observed anything of the kind in other weapons. Is it a quirk of the Great Scythe?

It's bleed damage. Multiple hits build up a bleed bar, when it fills they lose 30% of their HP.

2AdEPT

the great scythe is an all around great weapon...the R2 gives you a few steps run-in and if you learn to time ti right things just die in two swings of the thing...forget the bleed, upgraded to chaos +5 it will demolish most things in two hits of r2 ....no need for bleed in most cases....plu what could look more bad ass thn carrying that thing aroud with darwratih armour? It has to be fire/chaos not lightning..... just has to be.

krakov

Bleed is really effective against the stray demon but I can't think of many other uses. Great scythe is great as +15 with around 500 AR at 40 dex. You can also use it to stunlock Quelaag over and over by hitting her human body with R1.

Jintor

I went to visit the ash lake just before the final boss

The Onion Knights were by the bonfire... even after I'd saved Sieg, he'd still gone hollow eventually, and Catalina had put him down...

...:(

Guys, Chaos Blade or Fury Sword? I really like Katanas, but not too keen on the hp loss. Opinion on the web seems to be split. Thinking of the Chaos Blade for this first playthrough.

No, it doesn't.

If you hit it hard enough, it will stand and you will see it is a pair of legs like those in lost izalith.

Completely immortal too. Funny they didn't fix that for the PTD edition.

lol, yeah, I got it to stand up and was really confused and didn't want to take the risk of going in front of it!

Guys, Chaos Blade or Fury Sword? I really like Katanas, but not too keen on the hp loss. Opinion on the web seems to be split. Thinking of the Chaos Blade for this first playthrough.

Chaos Blade is much more like the other katanas. Fury sword has very fast attacks, but plays a bit differently. I am really liking the Chaos Blade right now. It starts a bit weaker than a +10 katana, but at +5 it hits hard.

Chaos Blade is much more like the other katanas. Fury sword has very fast attacks, but plays a bit differently. I am really liking the Chaos Blade right now. It starts a bit weaker than a +10 katana, but at +5 it hits hard.

Thanks, I think I'll go with it. Fury Sword looks more flashy, but really liking the Katanas.

koryuken

Thanks, I think I'll go with it. Fury Sword looks more flashy, but really liking the Katanas.

Chaos blade for sure. I killed O&S easily on NG+ using the Chaos Blade. It's very good. Hp loss is barely noticeable at 40vit. Just be sure to have 10 humanities at all time to do max dmg.

Ps. It was doing bleed dmg on Mr. Smough.

Chaos blade for sure. I killed O&S easily on NG+ using the Chaos Blade. It's very good. Hp loss is barely noticeable at 40vit. Just be sure to have 10 humanities at all time to do max dmg.

Ps. It was doing bleed dmg on Mr. Smough.

Thanks, seems pretty sick. Using 5 humanity atm, will try not to lose them! This is still my first run through the game but I'm way further than in the PS3 version now.
Strange how the same happened to me with Demon's Souls. Stopped playing the game at some point, resumed a year later and enjoyed it much more.

Zaventem

Just saw this video, haven't laughed so hard in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPC0QrtZVY&

brazzers.gif

Just wanting to show some of my brother's latest creation, from the Dark Souls Universe comes: Mini-figs!

Praise the Sun (yes the face was derped a bit off center...)

Chilling at the bonfire

Shields: Havel's, Solaire's, and Hollow Warrior

Full Solaire set.

Havel's armor. Will take different angles soonish

Hope you like! Almost done with both a Hollow Warrior, and starting on the motherfucking CAPRA DEMON! Any request? We are looking for inspiration, and I do like making things. NOtE: these aren't for sale I don't think. He only makes customs for trades, etc.

Wish we could make: Ornstein (need special molding material we don't have in that small scale)

LiK

Just wanting to show some of my brother's latest creation, from the Dark Souls Universe comes: Mini-figs!

Hope you like! Almost done with both a Hollow Warrior, and starting on the motherfucking CAPRA DEMON! Any request? We are looking for inspiration, and I do like making things. NOtE: these aren't for sale I don't think. He only makes customs for trades, etc.

Wish we could make: Ornstein (need special molding material we don't have in that small scale)

wow, nice

MAN. They are rad!

Also, whatthefuck! I just finished crafting this guy throughout the last couple of months.

ELITE KNIGHT!

Dark Souls Elite Knight by Mickcenary, on Flickr

Dark Souls Elite Knight by Mickcenary, on Flickr

A game so magnificent, it inspired me to make my first bona fide Lego creation. Praise the goddamn sun. And praise you guys for making my now perished thread what it was. Fist.

So, how is Artorias? I must say, Borderlands 2 has had me by the balls (and will continue to do so for a while), but I plan on jumping right back into this fucking amazing game as soon as the DLC drops on consoles. I've also managed to cajole some buddies into playing it. I look forward to their crushing heartache.

Haly

DLC is fun. Lore, loot and 3 great bosses.

Alrite, guys im getting my ass kicked. just started. I'm progressing a bit, but, dont know how to parry and my build is confusing I don't know how to build my guy up. I'mma pryomancer.

2AdEPT

I went to visit the ash lake just before the final boss

The Onion Knights were by the bonfire... even after I'd saved Sieg, he'd still gone hollow eventually, and Catalina had put him down...

...:(
At least you got your slab...I have had epic fail the last two times for various reasons....I bet I am like 3 for 7 lifetime with that slab and I have known how the do it each time...just screwed something up!!!!
Any of you fine fellows up for a stab at the Four Kings? I'm SL60 and could probably use a hand or two.

trade you for artorias help...I am SL 66....my faith build should be bale to help with 4 kings.....got the ring and all.

message me: AdEPTErik

Alrite, guys im getting my ass kicked. just started. I'm progressing a bit, but, dont know how to parry and my build is confusing I don't know how to build my guy up. I'mma pryomancer.
well for starters...pyro is great for all builds and you can upgrade it as any build...you will want to choose a second specialty....for noobs the ranged stuff helps a lot so choose either magic or faith. I suggest starting out as a dex character as you will need to learn how to be agile first....strength characters don't work out too well for noobs in my experience. Make a rule to stay under the 25 or MAYBE 50% equip burden and do not go light on VIT nor END if this is your first playthrough...you can go all the way up to 40 in each before the return on investment diminishes.

Beyond that...just make sure you do lots of searching the areas for cool equipment and upgrade equipment..find a few different weapons you like the move-set of and upgrade them with Andre to +10......this will help you more than leveling will...if you take it easy on the leveling you will stay in better co-op range and be better able to experience what little multiplayer is still left...its going away fast for me at level 60!!!

If you choose a specialty after pyro I can offer more specific help with regard to equipment choices and order of the areas for you to search through.

TheExodu5

Banned

Don't parry. It's very high risk-reward. Get yourself a 100 guard shield and just block with it.

Grief.exe

At least you got your slab...I have had epic fail the last two times for various reasons....I bet I am like 3 for 7 lifetime with that slab and I have known how the do it each time...just screwed something up!!!!

The first time I went through the game I set it up perfectly after I had actually read in this thread about the event.

I jumped down there with our boy sieg with only one enemy left up, we quickly dispatched it. As I was landing the killing blow sieg slightly moved to his left and I caught him with swing.

He got pissed, I immediately boned out of there and went and saw Oswald to fix my sin. He did, and I went back down there and sieg was ok.
I let out a huge sigh of relief.

Any of you fine fellows up for a stab at the Four Kings? I'm SL60 and could probably use a hand or two.

I wrote this guide for someone else earlier in the thread, might be useful to you.

Honestly, 4 kings aren't that difficult. My suggestion would be to get down to 25% equip rate, and equip the Grass Crest Shield for stamina regen.

Have the Crest Shield or Dark Hand on backup for blocking their magic missile attack.

They telegraph all of their attacks, just dodge to the side as they are swinging and the grab attack. Dodge backwards twice for the AOE attack, or just roll behind him and block with Dark Hand/Crest Shield will do minimal damage and you can resume attacking more quickly.
Using a weapon buff like CMW, DMB, or Charcoal Resin will help, and make sure to hit them 2H.

I just beat them on NG+ with a MSGS, Power Within, and Charcoal Resin. First time Dark Souls player.

Watch these videos:

Boss guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAcFixc8Q8&feature=plcp (skip forward to about 2 minutes for the actual attack breakdown)

Naked sl5 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuARyjBw8F4&feature=plcp

Haly

By the time I realized I wanted Ornstein's armor, I had done too much damage to him and Solaire finished him off. Then I suicided into Smough. The phantom I had summoned must've been so confused.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't parry. It's very high risk-reward. Get yourself a 100 guard shield and just block with it.

Exactly. Try getting used to the basic combat mechanics before focussing on the parry move. If any, try and master the backstab.

Also, there is a 100 guard shield right before the first bonfire in Undead Burg. You'll notice your defenses will improve greatly over the broken shield you aquire at the start of the game.

Default pyromancer armor is pretty great, there is no real need to upgrade for quite some time.

As a new character I'd focus on vitality and endurance first, for additional Health and Stamina/encumbrance. You may also want to invest some points in dexterity and purchase a bow from the undead merchant. Bow and arrow is a great way to pull enemies one at a time and prevent getting gang-mobbed.

SJRB

Gold Member
Alrite. I've died at least 10 times so far.

I should mention I'm playing offline. I don't have XBL...so that makes things harder.

Depends. You can summon NPC allies for pretty much every big bossfight, and you don't have to worry about being invaded.

Just be sure you reversed hollowing before going to a bossfight. Some summon signs can be a bit tricky to find.

kinggroin

Banned
....dear god, O&S was boss battle of the millennium. I haven't felt that bad ass as a gamer in a long time.

Tell me there's a battle theme as good as that one was, later one. I pretty much have the YouTube most clip on loop, heh

Depends. You can summon NPC allies for pretty much every big bossfight, and you don't have to worry about being invaded.

Just be sure you reversed hollowing before going to a bossfight. Some summon signs can be a bit tricky to find.

How do I get more e.flasks? Only 5, I see people with 10 even 20.

PolishQ

Beat the game last night, for the first time. Feels good.

This game has quickly become one of my all-time favorites. The world and its lore has a lot to do with that, I think. It reminds me of FFXII in some ways, what with the interconnected locations and how the deeper down into the depths you go, the more primordial and mystical things get. Both games feel like worlds that have real ancient history.

I played a bit of Demon's Souls back in the day but I was pretty incompetent at it. Now I feel like going back.

UrbanRats

Damn, almost screwed up my playthrough yesterday.
Did the
4 archdemons, ready to do Gwyn
, so i decided to start and slay all of the good people of Lordran for their loot (firekeepers, blacksmiths etc) just then i remembered that i had yet to do the DLC areas. :\
casualties:
Boobs lady, Giant Blacksmith, Spider woman, Manos Blacksmith

I stopped in time, before fucking it too much up.
Firelink Shrine + Andrei are enough to wrap it up.

mxgt

Banned
....dear god, O&S was boss battle of the millennium. I haven't felt that bad ass as a gamer in a long time.

Tell me there's a battle theme as good as that one was, later one. I pretty much have the YouTube most clip on loop, heh

Gwyn has the best theme in the game imo

EasyMode

Speaking of boss themes, do the DLC bosses have their own? I've beaten them twice and never noticed.

This game has excellent boss themes in general, with only 2 I don't care for (
Seath & Bed of Chaos
).

Top Bottom