• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

EasyMode

I found a lot of the Demon's Souls boss themes to be forgettable, despite my slight preference for that game. Maiden Astrea and Fool's Idol were ace though.

I think both soundtracks fit their respective games well. Wouldn't want a Demon's Souls style soundtrack for Dark Souls and vice-versa.

kinggroin

Banned
Tower Knight and Phalanx were my favs in the last outing. Along with the music that plays during your fight with Ganon in OoT (demon form), O&S make up 4 of my top 10 videogame theme songs.

Grief.exe

Anyone got a link to the dark souls ost? Preferably in flac

Guys, with the new expansion, how much life does PowerWithin drain per second? I know it was broken in the pre patch version.

Ya its about 10-15 per second.

I tested it with a level 1 and level 15 glove and its the exact same life drain.

SJRB

Gold Member
I decided to quit my "knight" build and go for a samurai build - Eastern armor set and the katana. Had to dump quite a few points in dexterity and the katana is super-weak at first. But upgrading it to +5 boosts dmg to about 145 which is great.

Now to take on the Moonlight Butterfly, then Havel and then the worst part - Blighttown.

i thought this would fit in here best

dssprites_zps0636dbb6.png

Ridley327

When gfwl originally came out with halo 2 weren't they trying to charge for it?

MS wanted $50/year for matchmaking and cross-platform play capabilities, but online play in of itself was never strictly charged. They quickly killed the idea once it became clear that cross-platform play was going nowhere with how poorly Shadowrun did.

Ah-I guess this just isn't the game for me. I can't beat the big Tarus demon. I can't even get near him without dieing from those firebomb guys. Those firebomb guys are everywhere, and anytime I attack anything I'm hit with 5-6 bombs or hit in the back. I don't feel like I'm making any progress after 4 hours )=

You just need a GFWL account, you don't need gold to play online..

What do you mean?

SJRB

Gold Member
I wandered into the Darkroot Forest for some easy farming on those NPC's, but then I got invaded by a blue spirit. I killed him but the white fog at the exit near the bonfire didn't disappear. Before I knew it I got invaded by a blue spirit again. And again.

I could not escape the area to stop the invasions. I got killed after the fourth invader got me with a katana's bleeding effect. I had no idea that stacked right through a shield.

Anyway, was I missing something or was it a bug?

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah-I guess this just isn't the game for me. I can't beat the big Tarus demon. I can't even get near him without dieing from those firebomb guys. Those firebomb guys are everywhere, and anytime I attack anything I'm hit with 5-6 bombs or hit in the back. I don't feel like I'm making any progress after 4 hours )=
There's a ladder going up just right of the white fog gate (have to go down the short stairs, then turn right), and you can go up there and kill the guys before fighting the Taurus Demon.

If you're having trouble with him, you can bait him into falling through the cracked ledges for an easy win.

koryuken

I wandered into the Darkroot Forest for some easy farming on those NPC's, but then I got invaded by a blue spirit. I killed him but the white fog at the exit near the bonfire didn't disappear. Before I knew it I got invaded by a blue spirit again. And again.

I could not escape the area to stop the invasions. I got killed after the fourth invader got me with a katana's bleeding effect. I had no idea that stacked right through a shield.

Anyway, was I missing something or was it a bug?

None of that is a bug. The forest is a heavy PvP traffic area. You will keep getting invaded if you are in human form.

The bleed effect is not a bug. This is what makes Katanas, Scythes, and daggers good... you cannot keep blocking or you will bleed half your life away.

There's a ladder going up just right of the white fog gate (have to go down the short stairs, then turn right), and you can go up there and kill the guys before fighting the Taurus Demon.

If you're having trouble with him, you can bait him into falling through the cracked ledges for an easy win.

I can't even get to him. I die too fast.

I think I'm done. I'm dieing too fast to be able to do anything. If I can't even get past the first area, then what chance do I have later on? I think I'm going to return the game. I can't level up because I have no souls, I can't kindle anything because I have no humanity. I can't do anything because I die too fast. I'm terrible at this game. I should have rented first.

even when I get to the T.demon and try to kill those guys, i can't because they just knock me off the ladder and kill me.

I hate this, because, i really want to enjoy the game, but, apparently I'm just a bad gamer.

zkylon

zkylewd

I think I'm done. I'm dieing too fast to be able to do anything. If I can't even get past the first area, then what chance do I have later on? I think I'm going to return the game.

even when I get to the T.demon and try to kill those guys, i can't because they just knock me off the ladder and kill me.
Don't let it get to ya. Souls games can have that effect on you but really it doesn't get harder as it goes on, as soon as your mind clicks you'll be wondering how the hell any of this seemed so insurmountable back in the day.

Remember to keep your shield up at all times (if you don't have a 100 physical block shield, buy one from the undead merchant) and don't be reckless. Spend the first five or ten minutes just observing how he moves, the tells of each attack, etc., and only when you feel comfortable, start hitting him once or twice when he misses or you blocked one of his attacks. The Souls games are all about patience and understanding who you're facing. If you can keep your cool, you'll find all the enemies in the game leave openings for you to strike, telegraph their attacks for you to dodge them and get stunned after certain moves for you to heal. It's just a matter of spending some time finding those.

And if the game's pissing you off, just go watch TV or whatever for a while, cool down, and come back with a fresh mind. It helps more than you'd think.

I hate this, because, i really want to enjoy the game, but, apparently I'm just a bad gamer.
You don't need to be good at games to play Dark Souls, it's not a twitch experience like Bayonetta, you just gotta get in the "zone". Takes a while, I stopped playing Demon's Souls after a very rocky start, but I went back a year later with newborn resolve and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my life.

cm osi

I think I'm done. I'm dieing too fast to be able to do anything. If I can't even get past the first area, then what chance do I have later on? I think I'm going to return the game. I can't level up because I have no souls, I can't kindle anything because I have no humanity. I can't do anything because I die too fast. I'm terrible at this game. I should have rented first.

don't rush, shield always up and take them one at time, approach them slowly. get close to them and shift to the right, so when they try to hit you have open space for a nice backstab.
when you get to the taurus kill the two hollows up in the tower and don't fight the taurus one on one, there's a trick with the ladder. it's not a hard game, but it punish you for every error. it doesn't require complicate combos, just attention

Grief.exe

No casuals allowed ;)

What level are you? I have a level one and I just beat that boss no problem. I can put my sign down and you can summon me.

SJRB

Gold Member

Don't give up so fast, my friend. The game may seem brutal, but it is also fair. If you want more souls you can farm them by taking out undead soldiers, rest at a bonfire, take out soldiers again, rinse and repeat.

Humanity is found at several places, did you check your inventory? Be sure not to waste them for their health regen.

As for the firebomb guys, there are two options: take them out from afar while they can't reach you, or go in close where they will switch to a sword. Either way works, it just takes practice.

If any, I highly recommend watching some playthroughs of the first area. It will show you how to play, what to look out for, where certain items are hidden. It will give you a better understanding of the game. The key element is patience - try luring them out one at a time, never fight whole groups at once. Don't go for fance parry or backstabs before you mastered the basic block and attack moves.

Just keep trying to clear the area leading up to the Taurus Demon, practice WILL make perfect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I will also add to the sentiment that you don't need to be good at games to get good at Dark Souls.

I suck at "hard" games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, bullet hell shooters, etc. but I've gotten quite good at Dark Souls.

You just need to be careful and attentive.

Vaporak

MS wanted $50/year for matchmaking and cross-platform play capabilities, but online play in of itself was never strictly charged. They quickly killed the idea once it became clear that cross-platform play was going nowhere with how poorly Shadowrun did.

I remember them saying that, but are/were there any GFWL games where the online wasn't entirely dependent on the matchmaking?

zkylon

zkylewd
i was going for the "cold mood" of the place where she is on this one :D
Ah, that's yours? That's pretty awesome.

I feel the Queelan is the only one that looks weird, kinda like a cat or a dog since the T thing in her face looks like a nose or something.

Just did a quick edit, don't really claim to know what I'm doing, but looks a little better to me:

ibsQrQu6xTc6QD.png

Hope you add Artorias :)

These were hilarious. I can't believe people fell for the steel armor + tiny mace :lol

The silver knight disguise blew my mind. Like, how can so many people not notice the drastic size difference? After that sequence I was actually expecting the royal sentinel disguise to work, but thankfully it didn't.

The painting guardian was clever though. I like how the solaire invader wasn't fazed and kicked him off. Don't mess with Solaire, he's too pro for little tricks!

Don't give up so fast, my friend. The game may seem brutal, but it is also fair. If you want more souls you can farm them by taking out undead soldiers, rest at a bonfire, take out soldiers again, rinse and repeat.

Humanity is found at several places, did you check your inventory? Be sure not to waste them for their health regen.

As for the firebomb guys, there are two options: take them out from afar while they can't reach you, or go in close where they will switch to a sword. Either way works, it just takes practice.

If any, I highly recommend watching some playthroughs of the first area. It will show you how to play, what to look out for, where certain items are hidden. It will give you a better understanding of the game. The key element is patience - try luring them out one at a time, never fight whole groups at once. Don't go for fance parry or backstabs before you mastered the basic block and attack moves.

Just keep trying to clear the area leading up to the Taurus Demon, practice WILL make perfect.

But, I have no more gold pine )= and those hollows on the stairs always hit me.

Ridley327

I still hate the Bed of Chaos fight so much. Thanks to whoever pointed out the quit/reload trick, as that helped a great, great deal, but it still doesn't change the fact that the fight is just broken and uninteresting.

CatPee

I think I'm gonna make a permanent backup of a save right before Ornstein and Smough. Such an incredible fight.

But, I have no more gold pine )= and those hollows on the stairs always hit me.

Block, wait for enemies to bounce off, take a couple of swings, roll back, regain stamina, raise shield. Every enemy has rather obvious patterns in their movements that you can take advantage of.

OH MY GOD I DID IT. I BEAT HIM! I'm sitting here crying tears of joy, shaking. I didn't use any cheap attacks. All I did was use my hand axe. Now wheres the next bonfire?

Ridley327

I have 2 humanity, should I go back to the bonfire or press on? I don't want to lose these souls.

My biggest issue is HP and stamina. I have very little.

Press on a bit, because you're about to unlock a shortcut to the bonfire that you're trying to get to.

If you're really worried, you should have at least one Homeward Bone that you can use to instantly teleport back to the last bonfire you visited.

Press on a bit, because you're about to unlock a shortcut to the bonfire that you're trying to get to.

If you're really worried, you should have at least one Homeward Bone that you can use to instantly teleport back to the last bonfire you visited.

But, I'll no longer have all my souls if I do.

koryuken

OH MY GOD I DID IT. I BEAT HIM! I'm sitting here crying tears of joy, shaking. I didn't use any cheap attacks. All I did was use my hand axe. Now wheres the next bonfire?

Oh to be new to this game again. I remember those times... Killing those fucking gargoyles after numerous frustrating deaths was a great feeling. You will see what I mean. MAUHAHAHAHAH.

And then you will meet everyone's favorite homeboy, the Capra demon. That guy will surely put your patience to the test LOL.

On my current NG+ run, I am not even using a shield to block. I am also using a weapon that drains my hp with every hit. Chaos Blade 2H + Grass Cress on my back always. Funny, but I am having a much easier time with this play through and owning everything in my path. I only died once so far to O+S on this play through, mostly because I was stylin'.

The key thing you will realize about DS is that you are always getting better, but the game's difficulty stays more or less constant. Good luck.

Well, the good news is that the shortcut to the bonfire is just past the Taurus Demon, down a staircase on the middle of the big bridge. The potentially bad news is you're going to have to sprint for it. :)

Oh, the dragon...no thanks. I'm not going to take a chance. I've seen it and I'll die no doubt

Top Bottom