• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

CatPee

Oh, the dragon...no thanks. I'm not going to take a chance. I've seen it and I'll die no doubt

You have no choice.

Drake is rather easy to avoid. Sprint forward on the bridge just enough to trigger its appearance (you'll hear it coming), then run the hell back and steer to the side immediately. After that, it shouldn't breathe fire at you until you get at least to the staircase, where you can easily avoid the fire.

Ridley327

Oh, the dragon...no thanks. I'm not going to take a chance. I've seen it and I'll die no doubt

In any case, you will have to be going that way in order to progress to the Undead Parish. There's a more direct way of getting there, but it involves getting past the dragon (not necessarily defeating it, mind you).

You have no choice.

Drake is rather easy to avoid. Sprint forward on the bridge just enough to trigger its appearance (you'll hear it coming), then run the hell back and steer to the side immediately. After that, it shouldn't breathe fire at you until you get at least to the staircase, where you can easily avoid the fire.

I know, but, I want to restok my flasks beforehand.

Ridley327

Alrite, kindled. So, I should focus on dex vit and end? I'd like to use the drake sword because it sounds cool looking.

It really depends on how you want to play. If you're focusing on melee, those are going to be your three most important stats, in addition to the poise you gain from whatever armor you're using. Strength is not as important for a melee build, but it does govern your ability to use most weapons with just one hand (the requirements for using them two-handed are much lower).

zkylon

zkylewd
the t thing are her hands since she holds them like she would pray :D

fixed version.. looks better now i think

http://h2kblog.tumblr.com/post/32819113521/again-with-lettering
Perfect :3

I have 2 humanity, should I go back to the bonfire or press on? I don't want to lose these souls.

My biggest issue is HP and stamina. I have very little.
You'll want to kindle most bonfires to 10 flasks, so be sure to use your soft humanity for that. Level your END and VIT if you feel you're lacking, neither of those are bad investments.

The Drake Sword is pretty good if you have 16 STR to wield it, and might make your life a whole lot easier.

Also, so you can ease your mind: hard humanity and souls are both really easy to farm like you wouldn't believe. So if you happen to lose 100k souls sometime, like I did, yeah, it feels like shit, but don't worry about it too much. Don't be wasteful, but don't cry about them.

Ridley327

Fire Whip is faster, but Great Fireball has some splash damage that stays on the screen for a bit. Another thing about the Fire Whips is they're not exactly honest about the amount of uses you actually get; you get 80 "uses," but the way it works grants you only four, and only three of them will be at full power.

Grief.exe

Just recorded some video for gargoyles and Capra.

Gonna do some boss guide videos for my sl1 play through. Hopefully I'll have some stuff up later this week.
I'll make sure to post it here.

Got past that damn dragon. I survived two times :D I even can get past the undead burg without losing many flasks. The damn fire bombers and shield/spear guys cause trouble.

Going as a Pryomancer, but, want to do a hybrid of magic/melee.

Starter Pyro Robes and Hand Axe

Stats:

Vit:12
Attun:12
End:14
str:15
dex:10
int:10

How am I doing? I pumped str early on to get drake sword. I know it makes the early parts easy, but, it's not an instant win button. If you suck you suck and having a drake sword wont make things different imo.

koryuken

Got past that damn dragon. I survived two times :D I even can get past the undead burg without losing many flasks. The damn fire bombers and shield/spear guys cause trouble.

Going as a Pryomancer, but, want to do a hybrid of magic/melee.

Stats:

Vit:12
Attun:12
End:14
str:15
dex:10

How am I doing? I pumped str early on to get drake sword. I know it makes the early parts easy, but, it's not an instant win button. If you suck you suck and having a drake sword wont make things different imo.

Doing great, you haven't overcomplicated to anything.
Here are my recommendations for stats on your first play-through:

Vit:40
Attun:16
End:40
str:16
dex:40

You can switch (40 STR or 40 DEX) depending on if you want to use big slow STR weapons or if you want to use faster DEX weapons. Dex weapons are generally much easier to use. You can use things like Spears, Rapiers, Katanas, Daggers, and Scyethes. For strength you can use great-swords and the like. Pyro does not need any INT for FAITH, so you can finish the game with that first and decide if you want to go FAI/INT route or make a new character and try new things.

Grief.exe

Look at picking up and upgrading either the Battle Axe or the Reinforced Club. Both can be bought from the Undead Merchant in the Undead Burgh. Both are some of the better weapons in the game for early game and low stats.

Grab the Heater Shield from the Merchant while you are there.

Look at picking up and upgrading either the Battle Axe or the Reinforced Club. Both can be bought from the Undead Merchant in the Undead Burgh. Both are some of the better weapons in the game for early game and low stats.

Grab the Heater Shield from the Merchant while you are there.

The Battle axe? I have it and don't like it. It's too slow and leaves me open and drains my stamina. Hand Axe sucks but I found it easier to get in hits.

I wasted a ton of souls trying to get the drake sword. I don't know what kind of arrows I should use, but, i've wasted a lot of time trying to get that stupid sword, and still havent cut off the drakes tail. Maybe I should have gone closer.

Ridley327

The Battle axe? I have it and don't like it. It's too slow and leaves me open and drains my stamina. Hand Axe sucks but I found it easier to get in hits.

I wasted a ton of souls trying to get the drake sword. I don't know what kind of arrows I should use, but, i've wasted a lot of time trying to get that stupid sword, and still havent cut off the drakes tail. Maybe I should have gone closer.

The arrows don't matter as much as the bow itself, as that's what ends up determining the overall damage you do with them. Normal bows scale with your dexterity, so the higher that is, the better damage you'll do with any type of arrow.

SJRB

Gold Member

It takes quite a while, but it will fall off eventually. Your best bet is to go to the small passage underneath the bridge. There will be two undead soldiers, go stand in the area where the sword-wielding undead soldier is. From here you have a perfect sight on the dragon's tail without risk getting injured.

Just aim the bow [remember you can switch to first-person-mode with R1] and aim for the pointy end of the tail. It might take you an arrow or 50, but the reward is well worth it. The Drake Sword does 200 damage, which is significantly more than anything you've used so far. It doesn't scale with stats though.
When it falls it will automatically be added to your inventory, so you don't need to worry about it falling down over the ledge or something.

Also - be sure to talk to Solaire before progressing.

This awesome. Is there any way I can get the Elite Knight pixel art for an avatar? I understand if not :)

here you go

kw94ntn5.png

2AdEPT

Beat the game last night, for the first time. Feels good.

This game has quickly become one of my all-time favorites. The world and its lore has a lot to do with that, I think. It reminds me of FFXII in some ways, what with the interconnected locations and how the deeper down into the depths you go, the more primordial and mystical things get. Both games feel like worlds that have real ancient history.

I played a bit of Demon's Souls back in the day but I was pretty incompetent at it. Now I feel like going back.
Yes...demon's was the first...and although there were many improvements in Dark, some things remain better...constant is the combat and the thrill of the boss fights...if you can still get online nothing beats old monk as a boss twist.
You have no choice.
This is not true. if he has master key the forest can be entered from the valley and running by the drakes there is easier than the hellkite dragon....if he has master key he can enter the forest from Havel's tower as well. I have never not taken the master key as a gift so I can't remember if the tower requires it or not.

There is also a way to "jump" down to the lower burg and progress through the entire pre-sens fortress areas before doing the church, master key or not.
no
Wrapping everything up for NG...

Anyone knows where to find
Dusk
after you beat the last DLC boss?
I was told that she just sobs at the
manus fight
and you never see her again....wasn't liking that, but until I see her I guess I have to go with it.

I tried, couldn't find her. Maybe I should do something else?
I beat Manus and left her laying in the floor since she wouldn't say anything...
Yeah, she just sobs after the Manus fight. I went to the mushroom afterwards to see if she had anything to say about Dusk being saved (she did), and then went to Darkroot Basin and used Dusk's summon sign to speak to her again where she had a few new lines.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, she just sobs after the Manus fight. I went to the mushroom afterwards to see if she had anything to say about Dusk being saved (she did), and then went to Darkroot Basin and used Dusk's summon sign to speak to her again where she had a few new lines.
Gotta be in human form for that? Because I went there as hollow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No you don't, her summon sign is special and not really a phantom summon but just a unique way of presenting her character.

Make sure to clear the nearby crystal golems though, they CAN kill her.

zkylon

zkylewd
No you don't, her summon sign is special and not really a phantom summon but just a unique way of presenting her character.

Make sure to clear the nearby crystal golems though, they CAN kill her.
Her summon sign is where the golden golem was, right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Her summon sign is where the golden golem was, right?
No, it's on the forest side near the hydra pit, by a rock jutting out of the ground.

(You should still revisit the golden golem area for some loot though)

zkylon

zkylewd
No, it's on the forest side near the hydra pit, by a rock jutting out of the ground.

(You should still revisit the golden golem area for some loot though)
That might be it then, I didn't check the whole area, just went to where the portal was last time.

Thanks

the past week I've been working on a low-level darkwraith because pvp with noobs is actually pretty bloody fun. they tend to not really care much about the imaginary rules of pvp a lot of dark souls players seem to like following, so they'll heal themselves and summon lots of help to turn the tables. lots of fun.

unfortunately I got the shits with trying to kill four kings with my oolacile ivory catalyst and velka's rapier +5 at sl16, and decided to park that project. it's probably a good move all things considered since I have yet to actually complete the game because I keep spending all my time trying to find the perfect build. having a blast all the while of course, so it's all good.

next try I'll probably start with a sorceror and take int and dex up to 16 for velka's then stop there (sl10). endless opportunities to get down and dirty, assuming I can actually kill the bloody four kings.

deddonpachi, that pixel art is brilliant. As if it isn't heart-breaking enough killing Sif, now every time I kill him I have to think of the cute lil' pixel version too! ;__;

Grief.exe

the past week I've been working on a low-level darkwraith because pvp with noobs is actually pretty bloody fun. they tend to not really care much about the imaginary rules of pvp a lot of dark souls players seem to like following, so they'll heal themselves and summon lots of help to turn the tables. lots of fun.

unfortunately I got the shits with trying to kill four kings with my oolacile ivory catalyst and velka's rapier +5 at sl16, and decided to park that project. it's probably a good move all things considered since I have yet to actually complete the game because I keep spending all my time trying to find the perfect build. having a blast all the while of course, so it's all good.

next try I'll probably start with a sorceror and take int and dex up to 16 for velka's then stop there (sl10). endless opportunities to get down and dirty, assuming I can actually kill the bloody four kings.

Go down into the catacombs and get vamos to make you a +5 fire bss, reinforced club, or battle axe. Then get power within.
You will be able to take down 4 kings.

I love fighting Smough &O in co-op. How long should I wait each time before I log out to change servers? Sometimes it takes more than 30 minutes to get summoned, and then other times i get summoned right away.

Sl 58 btw, not sure if thats a little high for anor londo.

Bleh. The ghosts in the New Londo Ruins are one of the cheapest enemies I've ever seen in a video game. There is no way of knowing how much longer your transient curse is going to last, and you can't use another one until the last one ran out, so I keep either getting annihilated when it runs out in the middle of a fight, or standing around for 2 minutes waiting for it to run out so that I can start the clock over before entering a new area. Not to mention the long distance attack through a wall from an enemy you can't see while you are standing on a narrow walkway above a fall to your death. Also, when you are on those same narrow walkways and lock onto one of them and they fly around you in circles causing your character to spin around, also likely to end in you plummeting to your death. I'm through the area now, but it really came down to trail and error, which is double annoying because firelink is the closest bonfire, which results in having to ride that elevator every time you die. Complete bullshit.

Once you know the enemy placements it's easier to deal with the New Londo ghosts one at a time, or at the most only a couple. Poise really helps too, so if you use light armour equip the wolf ring.

Usually I'll send the elevator back up when I go down there too, because I'll usually rather homebone out (or in case I die?!) than go back to the elevator to Firelink Shrine, this saves a little time at least waiting for it.

Doing a quick run through to get the key to the seal by killing Ingward with arrows is one of my early game staples along with taking out Pinwheel, both can be done in a couple of minutes flat and you only engage half a dozen ghosts total.

Grief.exe

I usually keep the transient curse item in my quick inventory, where you have your estus flask.
I then usually keep it selected. If you have transient curse on, you won't be able to use it and the item will be greyed out. If it runs out, then the item won't be greyed out. Back away and hit x.

I think the hardest part is the building where ingward is. I usually just sprint past it all the way to the ledge right before you drain new londo. If you wait there all the ghosts will come, but they retreat if you go too far back so you can take your time clearing them out.

Sullichin

Dark Souls (console version) came out a year ago today in America *cries*
Can't think of another game that I've played regularly for a full year. Well I got it like a week after release but yeah.

EasyMode

Waiting for transient curse to expire is definitely annoying. They should let you eat another to reset the timer.

I love fighting Smough &O in co-op. How long should I wait each time before I log out to change servers? Sometimes it takes more than 30 minutes to get summoned, and then other times i get summoned right away.

Sl 58 btw, not sure if thats a little high for anor londo.

I found that as you go past SL60 there are less summons for O&S. As for changing lobbies, I've read that simply putting your sign down again may do that but I'm skeptical. Do you find quitting and reloading to be effective for summoning? I've never tried.

From pls, go back to servers for the next game. The online play in Demon's Souls worked so well compared to this.

LiK

SL50+ and the game has been a breeze so far except for a handful of enemies. i was SL59 when i beat the 4 Kings after figuring out their pattern in 2 retries. have to admit that i'm doing way better than when i was on consoles.

Orn&Smough were still the toughest dudes

I usually keep the transient curse item in my quick inventory, where you have your estus flask.
I then usually keep it selected. If you have transient curse on, you won't be able to use it and the item will be greyed out. If it runs out, then the item won't be greyed out. Back away and hit x.
Exactly what I do, although the white glow around you helps too, heehee.

I do the same with the white soapstone to see when I'm about to be invaded too, if it greys out I know I have about 10-15 seconds before Mr Blue or Mr Red appears for an ass-whooping.

I found that as you go past SL60 there are less summons for O&S. As for changing lobbies, I've read that simply putting your sign down again may do that but I'm skeptical. Do you find quitting and reloading to be effective for summoning? I've never tried.

From pls, go back to servers for the next game. The online play in Demon's Souls worked so well compared to this.

After like 10~15 minutes without being summoned i'll quit and reload (I'm impatient), must do something cause all the messages change.

Thinking of making 45 ish guy for smostein co op, see if I get more bites.

you know what's great? all the environmental lore. I was just cruising around the (dlc area)
royal wood
and I came across some
scarecrows
who weren't attacking me because they were too busy pruning trees and shrubs to pay any attention to me.

and then it hit me. I'd been wandering around killing the grounds-keeping staff.

Go down into the catacombs and get vamos to make you a +5 fire bss, reinforced club, or battle axe. Then get power within.

hmm that sounds promising, I'll give it a shot next time :)

Zeliard

you know what's great? all the environmental lore. I was just cruising around the (dlc area)
royal wood
and I came across some
scarecrows
who weren't attacking me because they were too busy pruning trees and shrubs to pay any attention to me.

and then it hit me. I'd been wandering around killing the grounds-keeping staff.

They're literally trimming shrubbery and you just invade their property and slaughter them.

The DLC shows how monstrous the player character actually is.

koryuken

On NG+, I ended up 2handing the Furysword with 10+ humanity. 500+ dmg with 300 of it being fire.

zkylon

zkylewd
They're literally trimming shrubbery and you just invade their property and slaughter them.

The DLC shows how monstrous the player character actually is.
I accepted the PC was a douche when I got to the end of the Painted World.

Is there a compendium of all the story and lore stuff in the game? I got so many questions...

Top Bottom