• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

oh dear, I really need to not click that link until lunch.

They're literally trimming shrubbery and you just invade their property and slaughter them.

The DLC shows how monstrous the player character actually is.

my first moment like that was probably the little mushrooms in darkroot. they completely ignore you, then when you butt-stab one of them they do that little squeal and shake their heads like they're saying "no no no please don't stab me in the butt".

I accepted the PC was a douche when I got to the end of the Painted World.

well, it's not like you have to kill her ;)

aside from anything else, if you let her live you can hang around in the painted world and use the dried finger to get invaded repeatedly at a high level if you feel like some pvp.

zkylon

zkylewd
my first moment like that was probably the little mushrooms in darkroot. they completely ignore you, then when you butt-stab one of them they do that little squeal and shake their heads like they're saying "no no no please don't stab me in the butt".
You can buttstab the mushroom men? Here I was wasting my time with R2 Scythe attacks...

well, it's not like you have to kill her ;)
I haven't killed her yet, but I want to, so both the PC and myself are really horrible human (hollow) beings.

aside from anything else, if you let her live you can hang around in the painted world and use the dried finger to get invaded repeatedly at a high level if you feel like some pvp.
Cool, might do that. Oolacile Township is another great place for high level PVP, I got constantly invaded at SL 74.

You can buttstab the mushroom men? Here I was wasting my time with R2 Scythe attacks...

I haven't killed her yet, but I want to, so both the PC and myself are really horrible human (hollow) beings.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't drop that pretty dress :\

Cool, might do that. Oolacile Township is another great place for high level PVP, I got constantly invaded at SL 74.

ah I haven't got there yet, but I intend to finish the dlc tonight or over the weekend.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure she doesn't drop that pretty dress :\
I'm rocking a mix of Beatrice's outfit with some of Lautrec's armor underneath, going just bellow the 25% weight with Havel's ring. Looks pretty good :3

ah I haven't got there yet, but I intend to finish the dlc tonight or over the weekend.
You're in for a treat. Artorias, Manus, Kalameet, so many awesome boss fights...

God dayum that crystal cave.
Bring a ton of arrows and just shoot at where you think the invisible paths might be. Prism stones are bullshit, so don't even bother with those.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just watch the snowflakes. I had expected some twists and turns like the Lens of Truth segments in OoT but they didn't even have that, most of the time it was just a straight walk.

2AdEPT

Doing a quick run through to get the key to the seal by killing Ingward with arrows is one of my early game staples along with taking out Pinwheel, both can be done in a couple of minutes flat and you only engage half a dozen ghosts total.

DOn't forget to mention that in PC version there is a bug with killing ingward where for SOME people ( iwas one) he doesn't drop..had to start over as I didn't have any saves at that point. Now I do . LOL .... to my knowledge the glitch was not fixed and although it seems to be rare it was documented on the wiki I checked so it was not just me.

koryuken

DOn't forget to mention that in PC version there is a bug with killing ingward where for SOME people ( iwas one) he doesn't drop..had to start over as I didn't have any saves at that point. Now I do . LOL .... to my knowledge the glitch was not fixed and although it seems to be rare it was documented on the wiki I checked so it was not just me.

Don't kill good people :)
I killed Soltaire for his armor on NG+

NBtoaster

Just watch the snowflakes. I had expected some twists and turns like the Lens of Truth segments in OoT but they didn't even have that, most of the time it was just a straight walk.

There is only one path that isn't straight, and its optional.

oh, I didn't know about that. he dropped it for me though, all is well.

Hey guys, been away for a week.

Launched me some Dark Souls last night for a bit. Left off heading into the DLC. So far, I've beaten the first 2 bosses, the 2nd one taking a bit of finesse.

Pretty cool experience so far, liking the theme of everything.

Found the PVP arena, and waited around for a while, didn't find any fights. Is this normal, or is the invasion method still the preferred method to get PVP?

Anyone else having issues with this game and Big Picture Mode? It was running just fine for quite some time but over the past week, Steam has been crashing randomly in the background while playing Dark Souls (and only DS).
It's not the biggest deal in the world since it has absolutely no effect on the game (I sometimes don't even notice Steam crashed), but it certainly is annoying.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh my god the Lifehunt Scythe+5 is AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIING. Just defeated
Gwyndolyn
in 5 hits.

Basically, just beat everything there was to beat. I'm not gonna kill Queelan or the blackmiths out of the love and respect I have for them (besides, no achievements tied to them :p), even if it costs me.

Was gonna farm the black knights in Kiln a bit but I don't really have much use for chunks. Will just get my bow to +14 and face Gwyn, once and for all...

It's a blue slab, I'm afraid :(

A regular slab is in Kalameet's lair, behind the waterfall though.

you know, maybe this is dark souls telling me to ditch pharis and ascend a short bow to magic +10

Anyone else having issues with this game and Big Picture Mode? It was running just fine for quite some time but over the past week, Steam has been crashing randomly in the background while playing Dark Souls (and only DS).
It's not the biggest deal in the world since it has absolutely no effect on the game (I sometimes don't even notice Steam crashed), but it certainly is annoying.

I actually stopped using bpm because I got sick of it fighting with gfwl for ownership of the home button when I was playing this

I actually stopped using bpm because I got sick of it fighting with gfwl for ownership of the home button when I was playing this
I thought they had fixed it with today's BPM update because the Guide button was only bringing up BPM while keeping Live's interface at bay. It was glorious.
Unfortunately, it turns out that my 360 controller was assigned as controller 2 for some reason and that was the reason why Live wasn't reacting to it (but the game played just fine). I wish I knew how to assign controller ports on PC but a quick Google search tells me it's not so easy. Blah.

if you're doing a dex build, pharis is the strongest possible bow at +14/+15. dont give up.

actually my build is like 30/70 dexterity and intellect, I just grabbed pharis because it was there and it did pretty damned good damage even with that split. in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should just switch to an enchanted/magic weapon instead but there's something to be said for keeping a ranged weapon which can do decent damage against enemies with magic-resist around.

zkylon

zkylewd
...aaaand done. NG+ here I come.
Gwyn was pretty easy, specially compared to the False King, and it all ends up abruptly, I really didn't like that, I wasn't hoping for a long cutscene but I barely understood what I actually did by linking the fire. Anyways, back to Undead Burg, this time with a huge ass scary scythe in my hands...

----

By the way, weirdest of bugs, after going back to the menu screen, the game opened up a mirrored windowed version of itself or something lol:

ibcA2CcfXgQG4u.png

So I might have been a bit overpowered against Pinwheel boss, got him with 3 strikes of a Lightning Zhwei + 3.

Is this boss usually hard?

Also, tomb of giants looks scary, not going there for now.

Can anyone recommend where to go next, I cleared Anor Londo, then went to Catacombs, then went to the Asylum, killed the stray demon and got the Peculiar Doll.

Im planning to visit the painted world next but have no idea what to do afterwards.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I might have been a bit overpowered against Pinwheel boss, got him with 3 strikes of a Lightning Zhwei + 3.

Can anyone recommend where to go next, I cleared Anor Londo, then went to Catacombs, then went to the Asylum, killed the stray demon and got the Peculiar Doll.

Im planning to visit the painted world next but have no idea what to do afterwards.

Pinwheel is a joke, even if you do the catacombs way early.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
took down 4kings and artorias. now I just have kalameet, manus and gywn left.

4kings was a tad annoying because i had to lose my bloodbite ring for the covenant of artorias or break my FaP ring. so i ended up using a Gold Pine Crystal Halbred +5. It wrecked the kings before a second one could even spawn but used 5 durability points. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gold covetous serpent ring. Farm Clams outside Seathz room. They drop purging stones.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Gold covetous serpent ring. Farm Clams outside Seathz room. They drop purging stones.
that sounds painful and awkward. fitting.

---

when fighting seath, i found that if you hug the corner of his left tentacle and body, he'll only do his sweeping crystal aoe attack and it will miss you half the time/do minimal damage. you can pretty much just swing away and heal.

edit: just remembered i had fraps running while i fought seath. turns out i used the corner of both of his front tentacles.

OuLId.jpg

pRVdq.jpg

mnWfZ.jpg

1nHxT.jpg

cRuzX.jpg

g3LHC.png

umqbR.jpg

[yes i leave fraps on screencap mode when i play games... i'm not a weirdo! its only 21gigs!]

koryuken

Oh my god the Lifehunt Scythe+5 is AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIING. Just defeated
Gwyndolyn
in 5 hits.

Basically, just beat everything there was to beat. I'm not gonna kill Queelan or the blackmiths out of the love and respect I have for them (besides, no achievements tied to them :p), even if it costs me.

Was gonna farm the black knights in Kiln a bit but I don't really have much use for chunks. Will just get my bow to +14 and face Gwyn, once and for all...

I love the lifehunt, but chaos blade +5 is the best... Seriously. Try it with 10 humanity. It is so fast and the range is so great.

zkylon

zkylewd

Well you have a good many options: Painted World of Ariamis, Demon Ruins-Lost Izalith, New Londo and the Duke's Archives.

The Painted World's pretty easy, so it's a good place to start. You could also do Lost Izalith if you want to get an item that'll make Tomb of the Giants much easier.

I love the lifehunt, but chaos blade +5 is the best... Seriously. Try it with 10 humanity. It is so fast and the range is so great.
I don't like stuff that drains health, but will upgrade it to +5 when I get to a blacksmith and try it some more :p

koryuken

Well you have a good many options: Painted World of Ariamis, Demon Ruins-Lost Izalith, New Londo and the Duke's Archives.

The Painted World's pretty easy, so it's a good place to start. You could also do Lost Izalith if you want to get an item that'll make Tomb of the Giants much easier.

I don't like stuff that drains health, but will upgrade it to +5 when I get to a blacksmith and try it some more :p

I have ~1850hp and I cannot see the hp drain. It takes 3 attacks from the sword to see a pixel drop in life.

Top Bottom