• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Don't worry, he won't go nowhere. It took me a long time to manage to kill the Black Knight in the tower.

I figured out his attack pattern, and he leaves himself open, but, I'm afraid to go back and lose my souls and my humanity. Also, I don't understand why everyone says Drake sword is OP. So what if I can 1 hit the fodder enemies? If I rush into a group of pikemen or shielders and not use tactics I'll die...doesn't seem OP to me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I figured out his attack pattern, and he leaves himself open, but, I'm afraid to go back and lose my souls and my humanity. Also, I don't understand why everyone says Drake sword is OP. So what if I can 1 hit the fodder enemies? If I rush into a group of pikemen or shielders and not use tactics I'll die...doesn't seem OP to me.
why shouldn't you have to use tactics against the 'fodder enemies'?

when you screw up your tactics and accidently pull multiple 'fodder enemies', why should you have an easy way out in a quick one hit kill on each of them? That is why people call it op

SJRB

Gold Member
God I hate how I have to sit through the unskippable title screens when I quit out of the game back to the main menu, so annoying.

why shouldn't you have to use tactics against the 'fodder enemies'?

when you screw up your tactics and accidently pull multiple 'fodder enemies', why should you have an easy way out in a quick one hit kill on each of them? That is why people call it op

I don't think it's so easy. Multiple fodder hitting you all at once can take out a huge chunk of HP if not outright kill you. I'm still reluctant to pull more then 1 pikeman.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I don't think it's so easy. Multiple fodder hitting you all at once can take out a huge chunk of HP if not outright kill you. I'm still reluctant to pull more then 1 pikeman.

right, but if you get one opening, one pikeman dies. the threat of the encounter is drastically lowered because it takes no effort to destroy enemies one at a time. you dont have to risk the choice of whittling down the group vs singling out a single target because every opening you get is the instant destruction of a target.

zkylon

zkylewd
I figured out his attack pattern, and he leaves himself open, but, I'm afraid to go back and lose my souls and my humanity.
No big deal, leave him be and come back when you feel more comfortable. It's the awesomeness of the game being open-world.

Also, I don't understand why everyone says Drake sword is OP. So what if I can 1 hit the fodder enemies? If I rush into a group of pikemen or shielders and not use tactics I'll die...doesn't seem OP to me.
Well, it has very high base damage (200, I think?) for such an early game weapon. My Iaito+15 has 220 and my Lifehunt Scythe+5 has 270 and those are end game/NG+ weapons.

I've beaten the game without using it once :)

SJRB

Gold Member
I had no idea the title screen skip was a part of Durante's mod.

That guy is a gentleman and a scholar. May the gods smile down upon him his entire life.

Edit - good lord there's even a fix to disable the cursor at startup. Awesome.

Sullichin

This will be the case most of the time regardless of how strong your weapon is. And Drake Sword sucks. Honestly don't know why it's recommended, you will be better off learning the game if you upgrade a weapon normally (plus that weapon will stay useful and drake sword becomes quite useless )

koryuken

:O

what level is that? 80vit? You auditioning for a boss character?

I have about 43vit. Ring of favor and mask of the mother will give you 30% vit. Im level 100, on NG+.

I also have 2.5 million souls from PvP and don't have anything to waste them on. I wish I could donate somehow.

Zimbardo

i wonder if From Software will ever release a patch that improves online play with the pc version ...or do they not care at all?

i have the ps3 copy as well, and connectivity is tons better in that version.

ps3 version, i have probably 80% (maybe a bit more) success on summonings. the pc version, i have probably around 70% (or more) failure rate. its terribly annoying. (Games for Windows Live ports are forwarded, btw, and i have an 'open' nat)

if they fixed the connectivity issues on the pc version, i'd be more than happy.

btw ...i was playing the ps3 version last night (its been months since i last played it) and was kinda surprised by the amount of framerate drops all over the place in that version. typically, i'd associate the framerate issues in that game with Blighttown ...but it really happens all over the place, and somewhat randomly. so nice to have a consistent framerate with the pc version ...if only the multiplayer worked better, tho.

right, but if you get one opening, one pikeman dies. the threat of the encounter is drastically lowered because it takes no effort to destroy enemies one at a time. you dont have to risk the choice of whittling down the group vs singling out a single target because every opening you get is the instant destruction of a target.

Whats the difference between 2 hitting them? With my axe I can get in 2 hits for his opening. Pikemen are the hardest enemy so far.

I beat the armored boar and now it's time to go into the church.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Whats the difference between 2 hitting them? With my axe I can get in 2 hits for his opening. Pikemen are the hardest enemy so far.
when you two hit you spend more time attacking and thus are vulnerable for a longer length of time. two hits also consume more stamina that you might have needed on the defense against the other enemies.

zkylon

zkylewd

I beat the armored boar and now it's time to go into the church.
How does bosses taking half as many hits to go down sound?

I see. Anyways, I found a balder shield off those Silver Knights is it better then my Hollow Shield? Btw, those Silver knights are a complete joke, with a predictable attack pattern. Pikemen are far, far harder to kill imo. But, that giant knight in the Church, I'm afraid to fight him.

What should I replace my drake sword with? I can't get to the claymore because the dragon is on the bridge now and very, very angry.

zkylon

zkylewd
I see. Anyways, I found a balder shield off those Silver Knights is it better then my Hollow Shield? Btw, those Silver knights are a complete joke, with a predictable attack pattern. Pikemen are far, far harder to kill imo. But, that giant knight in the Church, I'm afraid to fight him.

What should I replace my drake sword with? I can't get to the claymore because the dragon is on the bridge now and very, very angry.
Silver Knights? You mean Balder Knights? You'll find the Silver Knights later in Anor Londo and they're no joke :D

I like the Hollow Shield a lot, it's pretty good early on.

Thrakier

I can't do fucking Seath with only half of my energy and I don't care how much you guys defend it, letting me run 3 minutes to get to this fucking endboss EVERY TIME is not a fun game mechanic but a waste of lifetime. The would've been a much better one with a "retry" option or at least a bonfire close to the bossfight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think I had any problem with Seath because I just kept going for his tail that he never hit me until I decided to take a look at him (was a bit tired of staring at rotating tentacles) and BAM curse.

SJRB

Gold Member
Goddamn Blighttown, I got sweaty palms haha!

Just reached the first bonfire, I need a break. And I need to take a look at the wiki's, there's way too much treasure to be missed in the upper parts.

Big black knight was a pushover, but, that wizard guy shooting magic missiles at me? He killed me by zerg rushing me with his minions of doom. Against my better judgement i'm going to go up into the tower, am I to expect danger?

zkylon

zkylewd
Goddamn Blighttown, I got sweaty palms haha!

Just reached the first bonfire, I need a break. And I need to take a look at the wiki's, there's way too much treasure to be missed in the upper parts.
Explore all you can and when your stuck on an item, then check the guide. You don't want to spoil yourself the fun :)

Big black knight was a pushover, but, that wizard guy shooting magic missiles at me? He killed me by zerg rushing me with his minions of doom. Against my better judgement i'm going to go up into the tower, am I to expect danger?
Into the tower the mage is in?
Yeah, and what you'll find makes the Taurus Demon look like a random hollow in comparison...

Don't have pine resin.

Should I kill Knight Lautrec or let him survive? If I kill him can I do after I kill the gargoyles and get his ring? I'd like his help to distract the gargoyle to get his axe.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't have pine resin.

Should I kill Knight Lautrec or let him survive? If I kill him can I do after I kill the gargoyles and get his ring? I'd like his help to distract the gargoyle to get his axe.
Yeah, you can.
Letting him live after ringing the first bell leaves you open for a pretty cool questline, but you'll gimp yourself for a while, and you can kill him later and everything returns to normal.
Let him live if you want the coolest stuff, kill him if you want it easy.

His armor looks stupid, but, that ring looks nice. I think I'll kill him.

I killed the Gargoyles. They weren't so bad except for the fact they could fly and that fire attack. Solarie died in the battle.

Wanny

I wonder when they will announce another Souls game... I need some new hope in my little heart as other games became flat since I played the souls series. lol

I wonder when they will announce another Souls game... I need some new hope in my little heart as other games became flat since I played the souls series. lol

Wasn't Dark Souls announced one year after Demons came out? I think we're getting close.

I hope they go with a different theme this time. I think they've done all they could do with the medieval style and I don't know how they can make another one and still feel unique. I'm thinking something more Victorian.

tumblr_ma342qa3fI1r4o3jio1_500.jpg

Like the type of place this guy probably came from.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Wasn't Dark Souls announced one year after Demons came out? I think we're getting close.

I hope they go with a different theme this time. I think they've done all they could do with the medieval style and I don't know how they can make another one and still feel unique. I'm thinking something more Victorian.

They still haven't truly perfected the Souls experience, so I think a 3rd installment is due. I wouldn't mind a different setting or motif though, but mechanically, net code and polish wise I'd love to see From get it perfect. And perhaps further iterate on the mechanics and that diversity.

Wanny

It would have been at this year's E3 (or maybe TGS?) if they announced it like Project Dark :(

I agree that a theme related to that character would be great.

CatPee

His armor looks stupid, but, that ring looks nice. I think I'll kill him.

I killed the Gargoyles. They weren't so bad except for the fact they could fly and that fire attack. Solarie died in the battle.

It's funny how you were on the verge of giving up on the game due to the random hollows, and now you just breezed through the Gargoyles. :p

Oh well Capra demon is going to be an issue. Those dogs and the swinging attack at the start make me dead. dead. dead.

Ah yes, good ol' Capra. Roll and dodge the first swing, get up the stairs and take out the dogs, then take on Capra.

Wow, DLC bosses are tough.
Artorias is giving me some trouble despite a +15 katana and some +9 wanderer's armor. He's really fun to fight, though. I think I'm just tired tonight and not playing well.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ah yes, good ol' Capra. Roll and dodge the first swing, get up the stairs and take out the dogs, then take on Capra.

Or you could take a step back once through the fog gate, hold up your shield and wait for a opportunity to deal with the dogs, or get better position.

But the rushing the stairs is a brute force strategy that doesn't work even 80% of the time, dogs just do what dogs do. And sometimes Capra will follow you up the stairs first. Better to invest in a 100% physical reduction shield to +5 and tank his shots near the fog gate. Wait for a opportunity to rush the stairs or bait the dogs another way.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Wow, DLC bosses are tough.
Artorias is giving me some trouble despite a +15 katana and some +9 wanderer's armor. He's really fun to fight, though. I think I'm just tired tonight and not playing well.

I could never quite figure out what was triggering his roll aways, sometimes he'd always roll after a block into counter attack, othertimes he'd consistently trade with a second attack. bit frustrating. only tip i can give you is that he seems much more manageable if you are always moving towards him

Top Bottom