• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

UrbanRats

Wow, DLC bosses are tough.
Artorias is giving me some trouble despite a +15 katana and some +9 wanderer's armor. He's really fun to fight, though. I think I'm just tired tonight and not playing well.

Luckly i had a bro with me before doing him, so i beat him at the first try without struggling too much (also i'm overleveled, since i had forgot about the dlc stuff until the end).
The
dragon was fairly easy,with predictable attacks, easy to avoid for the most part
(did that alone) but i've heard
Manos is a real pain in the ass, so i'm a bit worried by him.

zkylon

zkylewd
Luckly i had a bro with me before doing him, so i beat him at the first try without struggling too much (also i'm overleveled, since i had forgot about the dlc stuff until the end).
The
dragon was fairly easy,with predictable attacks, easy to avoid for the most part
(did that alone) but i've heard
Manos is a real pain in the ass, so i'm a bit worried by him.
I was pretty high level (SL 74) but they weren't really all that tough. No one really was after a while.

2AdEPT

Oh man, I think I'm trapped. I'm in the Tomb of Giants and I think I have cleared pretty much everything. I can't get into
the orange-gate at the end since it's sealed by the Great Lords or something

How can I get back to the Catacombs?
with great difficulty? LOL no its not so bad to get back...just run like shit by all the dog skellies and when you get to the ladder section...just aggro the skellies on the top of the ladder then go back down halfway..they will jump down and remove themselves from your path out.......only you won't be able to homeward out of catacombs...the hard part is getting back to the first bonfire close to Firelink with limited estus from the tomb! Kindle those fires as high as you can afford.....20 is not too much at all.....going backward through the catacombs is harder than going down what with no drops available and the bonewheels right off the bat...hope you took a divine weapon or at least killed all the shamans who unless dead resurrect the skellies.

If it makes you feel better I did it as a SL1 pyro with ZERO upgrades...10 estus was barely enough (only 2 humanity left to get human and kindle once) and not enough pyro to last so had to use it sparingly and use the divine club and I took my time killing every bonewheel one by one drawing each out with arrows....still had to face the black knight down there as well....took me 4 hours to get back.....was the most rewarding feeling when I finally made it out...better than the first time I killed flamelurker with no help solo.
I can't decide if I'd rather them doing Dark Souls 2 or a new Whatever Souls. Both sound great to me.

The name of the next souls game could be Dark Forest....FROM filed a copyright patent for the name shortly after releasing Dark Souls.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-10-30/from-software-files-dark-forest-game-trademark

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And to complete the cycle, their next next game can be called Demon Forest.

Grief.exe

I can't decide if I'd rather them doing Dark Souls 2 or a new Whatever Souls. Both sound great to me.

I kind of want dark souls 2 so they can continue the lore from this game.
Really the story might be over though, because no matter what ending you choose, the world will fade into Dark.

They could easily go to another region like carim, where chester is from, Astoria, catirina, and more.

Either way I just want a sequel, available on PC day 1, and exported to a studio that specializes in PC ports.

UrbanRats

I was pretty high level (SL 74) but they weren't really all that tough. No one really was after a while.

I was 79 when i started the area, now i'm like 87 or something (i had a ton of souls in the bottomless box i had forgotten to use).
At this point i'm not interested in summoning phantoms until NG+ anyway, so i'm not careful about lvl up, tbh, but yeah, at this level it definitely feels overpowered.

Wait, first they have to understand how to implement different resolutions.
Baby steps.

this is a good point, but if I had to choose I'd take a souls game sans gfwl over proper graphical options. after all, it's easier to fix the graphics with mods than it is to unfuck the online.

UrbanRats

this is a good point, but if I had to choose I'd take a souls game sans gfwl over proper graphical options. after all, it's easier to fix the graphics with mods than it is to unfuck the online.

It's weird to me.
I mean i'm not into programming, but how can you be able to create a game from scratch (granted they used an existing engine, but still) and have problems like not knowing how to port it to PC? Sounds absurd, it's like being a great chef, but not knowing the ingredient of a pizza margherita, you'd think at some point in your learning process those things would've came up, since you're able to build an entire 3d, complex game.

It's weird to me.
I mean i'm not into programming, but how can you be able to create a game from scratch (granted they used an existing engine, but still) and have problems like not knowing how to port it to PC? Sounds absurd, it's like being a great chef, but not knowing the ingredient of a pizza margherita, you'd think at some point in your learning process those things would've came up, since you're able to build an entire 3d, complex game.

I am actually a programmer, and I can't really believe that there was a lack of ability involved given what you just said, particularly when you consider that it was actually a ps3 and 360 title originally and they're insanely divergent architectures. it's honestly more likely that they didn't think anyone would buy it and just didn't bother to do any extra work on the port than press the "package 360 game for pc" button.

the whole thing ostensibly came about because of the thread that cm started on their forums and subsequent petition, who knows where the idea of porting it even came from originally. hopefully the sales have been decent enough for them to pay attention now though, their audience is increasingly moving to pc in the west so it's in their best interests as well as ours.

NBtoaster

ibiIOCMQFT7qOf.png

How on earth do you get to this one? Lower half of the great hollow.

zkylon

zkylewd
I am actually a programmer, and I can't really believe that there was a lack of ability involved given what you just said, particularly when you consider that it was actually a ps3 and 360 title originally and they're insanely divergent architectures. it's honestly more likely that they didn't think anyone would buy it and just didn't bother to do any extra work on the port than press the "package 360 game for pc" button.

the whole thing ostensibly came about because of the thread that cm started on their forums and subsequent petition, who knows where the idea of porting it even came from originally. hopefully the sales have been decent enough for them to pay attention now though, their audience is increasingly moving to pc in the west so it's in their best interests as well as ours.
Yeah, I too as a programmer am baffled at their incapability to add something so basic like multiple resolutions after doing something as complicated as porting it. I get the feeling they grabbed some of the programmers from the console dev team and sat them to publish for build for PC and that's it.

Pretty sad, I hope they learn from it.

As for other games in the same world, there's a lot of interesting places to visit, but since you pretty much
kill every major character of Dark Souls history
, I feel there won't be much of a hook, unless they come up with something really new, and in that case it's probably better to do something from scratch.

I'd really love a Dark Souls-esque game set in the present, with Parasite Eve 1-like combat and DkS difficulty and dungeon/enemy/RPG mechanics design.

Thrakier

I can't do fucking Seath with only half of my energy and I don't care how much you guys defend it, letting me run 3 minutes to get to this fucking endboss EVERY TIME is not a fun game mechanic but a waste of lifetime. The would've been a much better one with a "retry" option or at least a bonfire close to the bossfight.

So, any help with that? His attack pattern I don't understand even after watching YT vids.

Dresden

So, any help with that? His attack pattern I don't understand even after watching YT vids.

Hit his belly, roll back when he spews crystal curse beams. Rinse and repeat. The spot where you shattered the rod is unreachable for him. He's also slow so you can 'reset' the fight just by running to the other end of the room.

Tail chopping is a bit harder. Videos can help.

Thrakier

Hit his belly, roll back when he spews crystal curse beams. Rinse and repeat. The spot where you shattered the rod is unreachable for him. He's also slow so you can 'reset' the fight just by running to the other end of the room.

Tail chopping is a bit harder. Videos can help.

That's the problem I don't know when he spews and where he spews. Weird things happened like I was behind him and suddenly he somehow spewed behind himself. o_O

zkylon

zkylewd
That's the problem I don't know when he spews and where he spews. Weird things happened like I was behind him and suddenly he somehow spewed behind himself. o_O
You'll want to get a shield with high magic resist and pretty low weight equipment to outrun his crystal breath. When he does the attack that pretty much fills the entire room with crystals, just roll around like crazy when you see the crystals pop up and you'll receive minimum damage at worst.

Just be light on your feet, bait him into doing the half-the-room crystal spew, then run to one of his sides and hammer on one of his side-legs.

Thrakier

You'll want to get a shield with high magic resist and pretty low weight equipment to outrun his crystal breath. When he does the attack that pretty much fills the entire room with crystals, just roll around like crazy when you see the crystals pop up and you'll receive minimum damage at worst.

Just be light on your feet, bait him into doing the half-the-room crystal spew, then run to one of his sides and hammer on one of his side-legs.

Meh, I thought Havel is the way to go. I'm using that shield +3 you get from the knight which you meet first after you got out of your cell. I think it has high magic res.

zkylon

zkylewd
Meh, I thought Havel is the way to go. I'm using that shield +3 you get from the knight which you meet first after you got out of your cell. I think it has high magic res.
Yeah, the Crest Ring should be alright, but it has pretty low stability, so don't rely on it too much. As far as armor goes, I really think this is a battle which requires a lot of mobility, so I'd go as light as possible, below the 25% if possible (use Havel's Ring if needed).

By the way, if you're cursed already, the clams outside Seath's room drop curse removing items, so equip yourself the item discovery boost ring and kill them to de-curse yourself. Equip curse-resistant pieces of armor and concentrate on outrunning the crystal breath, and you'll have no problem with curses.

cm osi

I see. Anyways, I found a balder shield off those Silver Knights is it better then my Hollow Shield? Btw, those Silver knights are a complete joke, with a predictable attack pattern. Pikemen are far, far harder to kill imo. But, that giant knight in the Church, I'm afraid to fight him.

What should I replace my drake sword with? I can't get to the claymore because the dragon is on the bridge now and very, very angry.

to get the claymore you should wait in the safe zone on the bridge (not the stairs, try the left zone) and wait till he comes down. when you see he's coming down just run between his legs and you should be able to reach the bonfire

glad to see you're still playing.

Thrakier

Yeah, the Crest Ring should be alright, but it has pretty low stability, so don't rely on it too much. As far as armor goes, I really think this is a battle which requires a lot of mobility, so I'd go as light as possible, below the 25% if possible (use Havel's Ring if needed).

By the way, if you're cursed already, the clams outside Seath's room drop curse removing items, so equip yourself the item discovery boost ring and kill them to de-curse yourself. Equip curse-resistant pieces of armor and concentrate on outrunning the crystal breath, and you'll have no problem with curses.

I farmed the shells already without the ring (I don't have it) and they dropped nothing.

zkylon

zkylewd
I farmed the shells already without the ring (I don't have it) and they dropped nothing.
That ring will help you a lot, try to find it or you'll miss not having it. Getting one soft humanity helps some too, though not as much as the ring. You can also use a Symbol of Avarice, if you have one.

Another option would be to buy purging stones from Oswald in the Undead Burg, but that's too much of a walk.

Thrakier

Did it, god damn that fucker. Off to New Londo I guess. What do I do against those ghosts there?

Btw, if I get it right below 25% weight is the fastest animation set? That means 35/95 is about as good as 35/150 so I really don't need Havels Ring anymore?

Ph, also, where do I get demon titanite for Queelags Sword? I need lots of it.

EDIT:

I suck at math. Anyway, it's weird because I dont have the feeling I'm any slower without Havel.

Haunted

Off to New Londo I guess. What do I do against those ghosts there?
Either use a Transient Curse item, get cursed or use a weapon that can hit them (that dagger you find down there and the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias for example).

Btw, if I get it right below 25% weight is the fastest animation set? That means 35/95 is about as good as 35/150 so I really don't need Havels Ring anymore?
Below 25% equipment is basically the fastest roll, yes. There actually are tiny differences between 0% and 9.3% and what not, but they're negligible. Below 25% is what you want. The difference between a <25% and <50% in both movement speed and roll is very noticeable, be more attentive next time. :p

Demon Titanite drops from Titanite Demons - the big headless ones crawling around with one leg and the big staff, who for the most part don't respawn.

As much fun as it is to act like a know-it all and help other people out, do consider to read up on the wiki from time to time, saves you the time of having to type out some of those minor questions. :)

Did it, god damn that fucker. Off to New Londo I guess. What do I do against those ghosts there?

EDIT:

I suck at math. Anyway, it's weird because I dont have the feeling I'm any slower without Havel.

Ghosts - transient curse
Demon titanite - the bottom of Sen's fortress has a bunch of titanite demon's. There is also a respawning one on the shortcut to Lost Izalith.

I could never quite figure out what was triggering his roll aways, sometimes he'd always roll after a block into counter attack, othertimes he'd consistently trade with a second attack. bit frustrating. only tip i can give you is that he seems much more manageable if you are always moving towards him

Thanks. Only took a few tries this morning. He's a really fun fight.

Ridley327

Is anyone up for helping me out with Seath later tonight? Not so much for actually killing him, as that part is easy, but I'd like to get his tail and it's a lot easier with at least one person helping out.

UrbanRats

Yeah, I too as a programmer am baffled at their incapability to add something so basic like multiple resolutions after doing something as complicated as porting it. I get the feeling they grabbed some of the programmers from the console dev team and sat them to publish for build for PC and that's it.

Pretty sad, I hope they learn from it.

As for other games in the same world, there's a lot of interesting places to visit, but since you pretty much
kill every major character of Dark Souls history
, I feel there won't be much of a hook, unless they come up with something really new, and in that case it's probably better to do something from scratch.

I'd really love a Dark Souls-esque game set in the present, with Parasite Eve 1-like combat and DkS difficulty and dungeon/enemy/RPG mechanics design.
I would like to visit something more eastern, but always set in the Dks/DmS universe.
I mean like MiddleEastern or even as far as Indian inspired (Lordran seems more WesternEurope-centric in design).

I have to admit the stamina based combat is a big draw for me, so i don't know how it would work in a modern setting.

Grief.exe

I would like to visit something more eastern, but always set in the Dks/DmS universe.
I mean like MiddleEastern or even as far as Indian inspired (Lordran seems more WesternEurope-centric in design).

I have to admit the stamina based combat is a big draw for me, so i don't know how it would work in a modern setting.

That's what I was saying for a sequel. Stay in the dark souls universe and go to a different region.

There are regions like catarina, Astoria, carim, and more.

There are some regions we know almost nothing about. Like zena, where domhnall the merchant is from.

Those places could easily have some different architecture and design like you described. Could set it during the time period of this game, or in the past. I don't see them doing a direct sequel since no matter the ending, the world will eventually plunge into Dark.

I killed that Headless Demon near the Gargoyles. I didn't die once. I learned to avoid his attacks and run in between swings. Took me 8 flasks, but, I did it. Also found the glasscrest shield and a bonfire and a dark knight killed himself. Today is a good day indeed.

upandaway

So well, I just started and immediately, a guy asks me for 100 souls and I refuse because I didn't pay attention to see if that's a lot and I figured there's no rush to accept. And then he doesn't ask anymore.

So, uh. I'm early enough that I can just start again given half an hour. Was it something worth half an hour? Was I screwed out of stuff?

Finished the DLC. I feel like the bosses were (in order of difficulty)
Kalameet > Artorias >>> Manus. Manus only took me a few tries. Artorias wasn't bad after getting his patterns down. But I feel like I only beat Kalameet because I got lucky getting him to spam his stomp. So many of his moves gave me trouble.

I hate that the PvP area is tied to the campaign. I'd like to kill Gwyn and run through some early NG+ content, but getting back to and killing O+S is going to be a hassle. Oh well, I'm looking forward to all three DLC bosses on NG+.

DLC is incredibly good.

So well, I just started and immediately, a guy asks me for 100 souls and I refuse because I didn't pay attention to see if that's a lot and I figured there's no rush to accept. And then he doesn't ask anymore.

So, uh. I'm early enough that I can just start again given half an hour. Was it something worth half an hour? Was I screwed out of stuff?

The knight laying on his back? I don't remember him asking for souls.

EasyMode

I don't recall anyone like this. At the beginning of the game you say? What did he look like?

upandaway

It was a big guy (with mushroom hair) who made me join a thing and then sold me stuff.

Sorry if it's too vague, I'm not near the game to check what the thing he made me join is called :(

upandaway

Ah, Petrus:

He asked you to join his covenant. I'm not sure what he asked 100 souls for, but you can always buy from him later.
Hm, okay, thanks man. He said something about telling me about a mission if I paid him.. but if it's not any item or anything I guess it's ok.

EasyMode

Hm, okay, thanks man. He said something about telling me about a mission if I paid him.. but if it's not any item or anything I guess it's ok.

I just looked up some info on him and he apparently asks for souls in exchange for advice on how to kindle bonfires. So you didn't miss out on anything important. If you have any questions about that, SoulsGaf has you covered.

zkylon

zkylewd
I at first felt I was alright with 50% weight but after a while you cannot go back, and I'd rather have the Poise Ring than wear any extra armor. Push the limits of your 25% (I have 29.9 out of 30 :D), use Havel's Ring if you have to.

It makes a huge difference, you walk faster, your stamina recharges faster, your rolling is more fluid so it's possible to chain multiple dodges and a lot of the enemy attacks are so tremendously telegraphed it's hard not to dodge/block.

Yeah, I really like the stamina based combat too, it's surprisingly simple and smart at the same time, but I love the difficulty, minimalism, exploration and character building so much I wish those sensibilities were taken into other genres and settings.

I killed that Headless Demon near the Gargoyles. I didn't die once. I learned to avoid his attacks and run in between swings. Took me 8 flasks, but, I did it. Also found the glasscrest shield and a bonfire and a dark knight killed himself. Today is a good day indeed.
Gotta love how all it took was a few more tries to get you in the 'zone' and completely hooked in the game. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

EDIT:

If all you care about is roll speed, then being under 25% load is the same. But lighter armour also means less damage reduction and poise.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, quick question.

I'm on my first play through and I just got to the kiln.

Where and when do I access the DLC content?

Also what SL is recommended? I'm SL 90 right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey guys, quick question.

I'm on my first play through and I just got to the kiln.

Where and when do I access the DLC content?

Also what SL is recommended? I'm SL 90 right now.
SL 90 is more than enough.

How to get to the DLC:
There's a golem inside the Duke's Archives that drops a Broken Pendant you can use at the spot you saved Dusk of Oolacile (behind the Hydra in Darkroot Basin) to teleport to the DLC area.

Top Bottom