• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

upandaway

"Oh dang, those two lancers killed me.. let's see, the bonfire is about 5-6 enemies away from my stuff, I had a ton of souls I didn't use yet and one humanity.. that totally means I can just run to grab it then run back to the bonfire, right? Right?"

:(

man...

I just looked up some info on him and he apparently asks for souls in exchange for advice on how to kindle bonfires. So you didn't miss out on anything important. If you have any questions about that, SoulsGaf has you covered.
Yeah alright, thanks.

Okay, Capra demon sucks. Second I enter into his lair and instantly death. I roll around his attack and his dogs hit me from behind. I've tried multiple ways now, but, everytime I do it those dogs hit me. What do I do?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The moment you step in, run up the stairs. It's a gamble whether or not you can make it past the body blocking dogs. Once up there, quickly turn around and see what's coming at you. If it's the dogs, block and kill. If it's the capra, drop down and go for the dogs. Once you get both dogs, you can take your time going up the stairs in order to buy healing time.

Ridley327

Okay, Capra demon sucks. Second I enter into his lair and instantly death. I roll around his attack and his dogs hit me from behind. I've tried multiple ways now, but, everytime I do it those dogs hit me. What do I do?

Run to Capra Demon's right; nearly all of the time, he goes for the overhead swing, and running past it will avoid it. You might get hit by a dog, but the priority is to get up the stairs and into the door. The dogs will be fast enough to follow you, but you'll be well equipped to deal with them. Once they're dead, Capra is easy pickings, especially since he has the tendency to fall while trying to reach you up there. Do a plunging attack, roll away, go back up the stairs, wait for him to fall like a dumbass again, repeat.

If you have it, the Drake Sword is highly effective against him and will end the fight quickly. Otherwise, he's very weak to fire, so fire bombs and pyromancy will be handy to have. Make sure to have a shield with 100% physical block and a good stability just in case he doesn't go for the overhead swing (the Heater Shield should do you well here); the priority is still getting up those stairs, but being prepared to be defensive about getting up the stairs is a good plan B.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's amazing how many souls you get in NG+. I'm easily getting more than 80k souls in the Undead Burg...

I don't even know what to do with them.

There's a random aspect of that fight that sometimes you just die and you can't do anything about it. But you should first try to run past the dogs and the Capra Demon by turning right and then left towards the stairs. Zigzag, like jim-jam says. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Annnd dead again. Capra demon itself was easy, I beat the 2 dogs, but, my controller died and so did I. Now, it's those 2 stupid dogs giving me trouble.

Ridley327

Annnd dead again. Capra demon itself was easy, I beat the 2 dogs, but, my controller died and so did I. Now, it's those 2 stupid dogs giving me trouble.

Ironic, isn't it? The boss is a giant anthropomorphic cow with two Demon Great Machetes, and it's the dogs that are the biggest problem.

Ironic, isn't it? The boss is a giant anthropomorphic cow with two Demon Great Machetes, and it's the dogs that are the biggest problem.

I know. Capra demons attacks are slow as hell, but, those dogs are tough as hell. Capra is no match compared to the Headless Demon in Undead Parish....now that guy was tough.

DLC SPOILERS:

Manus is destroying me, I cant stay alive long enough to really feel out his attacks.
I think I'm playing terrible lately, stuff that's normally easy for me, I'm messing up. Maybe it's burn out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DLC SPOILERS:

Manus is destroying me, I cant stay alive long enough to really feel out his attacks.
I think I'm playing terrible lately, stuff that's normally easy for me, I'm messing up. Maybe it's burn out.
Try some poise and a heavy shield. It'll give you time to adjust, if nothing else.

There's really only one attack that you should not try to block, and it's the 4 hit combo with the swings. You need to roll away in between the swings or else he'll eat up your stam and then grab you.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd be up to help you beat Seath but I just beat the game and I'm NG+ing. So far I've done all of Undead Burg+Parish pretty easily. Capra Demon took me three tries, but only because I messed up the timing of the roll. I also beat the Hydra, since what the hell, right?

Onto the Depths, now, I guess. I really miss warping T_T

There's more, each one stronger than the last, and there's one in particular that's....oh man...

DLC SPOILERS:

Did you get the pendant in the secret room? It makes you immune to magic for a short period and that really helps not get one-shotted by his magic attacks.

Ridley327

Thanks again, Thrakier! That tail of Seath's is such a pain to get, but it's worth it if you have a build focusing on Int in some way.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, I'm not beating Capra anytime soon thats for sure...
All that fight requires is perserverance. If you go to the Capra Demon from the first bonfire in Undead Burg (the one in the room with the ladder), you can run past all enemies except the two dogs, the assassins and maybe the archer inside the tower, so you'll be back in the fight in no time.

Well, I'm not beating Capra anytime soon thats for sure...

When I was new at this I had a few problems with Capra as well. Firebombs helped, he seemed vulnerable to fire.

Once you enter just run straight to the stairs and dispatch of the dogs. Then lure him around in that area (I always walked up the stairs, dropped down, repeat) and throw firebombs when there's an opening.

SJRB

Gold Member
Killed Quelaag, rung the bell, joined the Chaos people for the pyromancy spell, talked to the Fair Lady using the old witch's ring and also took out Ceaseless Disgarge. I was down there anyway.

Now running through the Great Hollow looking for the cloranthy ring but that place is a mess to navigate.

EasyMode

Killed Quelaag, rung the bell, joined the Chaos people for the pyromancy spell, talked to the Fair Lady using the old witch's ring and also took out Ceaseless Disgarge. I was down there anyway.

Now running through the Great Hollow looking for the cloranthy ring but that place is a mess to navigate.

It's near the very first bonfire. Walk onto the branch a bit and look down, you'll have to drop.

Damn, if the online would work properly the PC version would be my game of the generation.

Would love to do some more PvP, but it just takes to long to get into a fight.

UrbanRats

I've always had more problems with Quelaag than Capra, when she starts spamming the explosion it's annoying as fuck.
And if you're not careful she can close you into a corner with the magma. (admittedly she doesn't have good defence, when you're on her side/back)

Ridley327

I've always had more problems with Quelaag than Capra, when she starts spamming the explosion it's annoying as fuck.

Really? Even considering the lava pools she can generate, she gives you an unbelievable amount of room to maneuver in. It also helps that her explosion attack is telegraphed five years in advance.

UrbanRats

Really? Even considering the lava pools she can generate, she gives you an unbelievable amount of room to maneuver in. It also helps that her explosion attack is telegraphed five years in advance.

*shrugs* I don't know, i know she hugs the spider's head before an explosion, but i'm usually too upclose to her bum to see it, and sometimes she does it 2 or 3 times in a row, which isn't problematic but it's annoying cause you can't get close and have to wait. :p
Capra on the other hand, once the dogs are dead is almost like a normal enemy, and it's always clearly visible on screen, so you can time your rolls better.
Not saying it's impossible or even one of the hard boss, but i found her more annoying than Capra.

zkylon

zkylewd
Depths done, on Blighttown now. Good to see the fat guy in the cave (the one near the giant squid bug) is still kicking my ass :)

I didn't even know that area existed. This fucking game...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I didn't even know that area existed. This fucking game...
I wonder how people even found it the first time.

a dead end with a chest is so common you'd think that alone was reward for your exploration. but then if you happen to somehow find the wall, another dead end with another chest. you'd already think you were indiana Jones before you tested the second wall.

UrbanRats

I wonder how people even found it the first time.

a dead end with a chest is so common you'd think that alone was reward for your exploration. but then if you happen to somehow find the wall, another dead end with another chest. you'd already think you were indiana Jones before you tested the second wall.

lol, i found it just because i was rolling like an idiot, pure chance.

Hzoltan69

There are lots of features I would like to see in a sequel (most importantly to have one for PC), but one thing that is starting to feel more and more important is the ability to define and change equipment sets with one button.

I really like changing between a fast light, somersaulting set and a heavy tank build for enemies or locations where dodging doesn't work. It is really annoying that it takes minutes to swap out all the items one by one.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, got from the start of the game to Anor Londo in NG+ in a day so I gotta say it's not that hard.

I think I may start another character, probably miracle heavy. I want to be able to shoot some of Solaire's lighting spears.

4 kings are demoralizing me. Spent ages waiting around to summon someone. Apparently I can't summon the npc to help because I didn't summon her to beat the butterfly, which sort of seems like I'm being punished for doing well earlier.

There are lots of features I would like to see in a sequel (most importantly to have one for PC), but one thing that is starting to feel more and more important is the ability to define and change equipment sets with one button.

I really like changing between a fast light, somersaulting set and a heavy tank build for enemies or locations where dodging doesn't work. It is really annoying that it takes minutes to swap out all the items one by one.

Would also be awesome for pvp. Sometimes i'll equip myself in a way that is tailored specifically for a boss, and then on the way there i'll get massacred by an invader.

willooi

4 kings are demoralizing me. Spent ages waiting around to summon someone. Apparently I can't summon the npc to help because I didn't summon her to beat the butterfly, which sort of seems like I'm being punished for doing well earlier.

Best way to defeat them is move as quickly as possible. Two-hand an elemental damage weapon (fire works really well) and just rush up and smash the first one as soon as it appears repeatedly until it dies, and hopefully before the second king pops up. The key is to definitely sprint up and get rid of them before they overwhelm you.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

be thankful, she's pretty useless vs 4kings.

I assume you're doing a mage build if you need help, so trust me when i say trading extra boss hp for a second mage would not help at all.

IF you're not a mage, use a normal weapon in your playset upgraded to as far as you can and then apply a buff to it. i used a crystal halbred with gold pine; wrecked the kings.

ImRight

So im getting on in my First Play through ever.... and i have just realised that Pyromancy kicks ass, however the first teacher is gone..... i killed the guy in the chaos place or whatever it's called...... and my pyro glove is only +2, so the npc that is supposed to be in blight town is not there.....

Anything i can do or am i screwed until Ng+? :( kinda sucks..

i mean Ive put like 56 hours in i dun wanna start a new game ahahah, even though i would probably get to the same point in like 10-15 hours now......

Anyway to try n glitch the BT trainer into game lol? without hacks or mods of course.....

zkylon

zkylewd
Best way to defeat them is move as quickly as possible. Two-hand an elemental damage weapon (fire works really well) and just rush up and smash the first one as soon as it appears repeatedly until it dies, and hopefully before the second king pops up. The key is to definitely sprint up and get rid of them before they overwhelm you.
This. The hard part is having more than one alive at the same time. If you rush them, you should be alright, they telegraph heavily all their attacks and just sidestep and hack hack hack.

I don't think you can afford to heal, though, at least not with one of them alive and at full health.

So im getting on in my First Play through ever.... and i have just realised that Pyromancy kicks ass, however the first teacher is gone..... i killed the guy in the chaos place or whatever it's called...... and my pyro glove is only +2, so the npc that is supposed to be in blight town is not there.....

Anything i can do or am i screwed until Ng+? :( kinda sucks..
Wait, you killed Eingyi? Have you rescued Laurentis yet? He's in the Depths, stuck in a barrel, behind the room you find the first Butcher in.

If you killed both of them, then yeah, you're stuck with your Pyromancy Flame+2 until NG+. You shouldn't kill friendly NPCs if you can help it.

ImRight

Wait, you killed Eingyi? Have you rescued Laurentis yet? He's in the Depths, stuck in a barrel, behind the room you find the first Butcher in.

If you killed both of them, then yeah, you're stuck with your Pyromancy Flame+2 until NG+. You shouldn't kill friendly NPCs if you can help it.

Yeah i rescued the first guy, but he went crazy or something and i found him in BT and he attacked me :( so i had to kill him.

And Eingy, well i'm pretty sure i killed him cause someone wrote like hidden room ahead or something and he wouldn't let me past........ either that or i just attacked without realising he was an npc :(

DAMN oh well...... guess i will have to wait for Ng+...... on that note..... im up to killing the lords.... i have defeated Seath so far........ is there much more game to go? by ways of main story line + dlc?...... i just like... opened some huge doors in the londo ruins also.....

kinda debating weather i should start another play through...... another thing i really wish i hadn't done is used the soul that i could have made the fury sword out of.... Quelaag's i think should i just bite the bullet and start a new play through?

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah i rescued the first guy, but he went crazy or something and i found him in BT and he attacked me :( so i had to kill him.

And Eingy, well i'm pretty sure i killed him cause someone wrote like hidden room ahead or something and he wouldn't let me past........ either that or i just attacked without realising he was an npc :(

DAMN oh well...... guess i will have to wait for Ng+...... on that note..... im up to killing the lords.... i have defeated Seath so far........ is there much more game to go? by ways of main story line + dlc?...... i just like... opened some huge doors in the londo ruins also.....

kinda debating weather i should start another play through...... another thing i really wish i hadn't done is used the soul that i could have made the fury sword out of.... Quelaag's i think should i just bite the bullet and start a new play through?
If you hold Pyromancy to such high degree then sure, but I beat the game using only melee and it's doable.

And if you beat Seath and drained the flood in New Londo Ruins, I'd say you're probably about 60-70% done. If you don't bother with the different covenants, getting all the unique equipment, etc., you can be done fast and just NG+ it.

ImRight

If you hold Pyromancy to such high degree then sure, but I beat the game using only melee and it's doable.

And if you beat Seath and drained the flood in New Londo Ruins, I'd say you're probably about 60-70% done. If you don't bother with the different covenants, getting all the unique equipment, etc., you can be done fast and just NG+ it.

Yeah i guess... i don't hold pyro in SUCH high regard it's just kinda awesome especially for only +2 and i really enjoy using it..... but i guess ill have just as much fun when i Ng+ or eventually make a new char ........ So then the fury sword is no big loss? i've got sif's soul now so i guess i can make artorias' sword...... just need to get my faith up :-/

thanks

I think most of us have killed Eingy at one point or another, for a start he looks like an enemy, and even now impatiently mashing the button I answer 'no' to his question. A quick restart solves that.

As for Laurentius, if you have the great chaos fireball from the spiderlady covenant or have Ascended your pyromancy flame with Quelana in Blighttown, when you speak to him next he will ask you about it - if you tell him the truth by answering 'yes', he will go to Blighttown and turn enemy on you.

I'd be happy with just a more streamlined menu system. I tend to move my favourite go to pieces together at the top, especially for rings - switching between fog, wolf, grass, hornet, serpent rings etc on the fly.

cm osi

once you get how things works you can do what you did in your first play in half the time, and even better. i suggest to start a new game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since people are talking about a new "souls" game, it'll PROBABLY be on the next gen consoles and PC right?

The idea of a Dark Souls on next gen/PC is really really exciting, because I just keep thinking of the scale they would be able to make things.

I imagine something like turning a corner and seeing an area FULL of enemies. Something like 150 to 200 fodder enemies that swarm you, that seems really awesome to me.

Top Bottom