• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I imagine something like turning a corner and seeing an area FULL of enemies. Something like 150 to 200 fodder enemies that swarm you, that seems really awesome to me.

why would you want to ruin the souls games like that. :\

Finally beat the game. Died a shit ton (kinda wish they had a death count at the end) but it was fun. I probably died close to 1000 times.

Hardest boss was probably The Two Gargoyles. Extra special bonus to those fucking 1-legged lightning demons that drop Demon Titanite.

Hardest level was probably Blight town or Anor Londo (fuck the archers).

Easiest (non-gimmick) boss was Quelaag.

Went through the game using Broadsword --> Winged Spear --> Lightning Winged Spear --> Balder Side Sword --> Quelaag's Furysword --> Silver Knight Spear

Broadsword was fun at first, but I died too many times in the beginning. So I became a pussy and switched to poking behind a shield with spears. The Balder Side Sword was an okay upgrade, and good to break up the monotony of a spear. Quelaag's Furysword was fun, but the animation was awkward and got me killed all the time. The Silver Knight Spear is the best. Amazing range, damage, and stamina usage. Extra bonus for not having to switch to another divine weapon while in the Catacombs.

Big shoutout to the Dragonslayer bow/arrow. I cheesed a bunch of things with it, such as the demons in Lost Izalith.

Armor --> after the first few stages, I basically ran naked the entire game. I HATED the slow running and rolling. Yes, it was a lot more dangerous, but once I got used to the enemies, it wasn't too bad. The downside is looking a skinny dried stick of meat all the time because I was afraid to use Humanity.

mxgt

Banned
I imagine something like turning a corner and seeing an area FULL of enemies. Something like 150 to 200 fodder enemies that swarm you, that seems really awesome to me.

I don't really want this in a Souls game, but I am excited to see what they come up with next.

More of the same is fine by me though, I could play these games forever

cm osi

Since people are talking about a new "souls" game, it'll PROBABLY be on the next gen consoles and PC right?

The idea of a Dark Souls on next gen/PC is really really exciting, because I just keep thinking of the scale they would be able to make things.

that's dinasty warrior, no thanks.
souls games are all about less but strong enemies.

Just defeated the hydra in Darkroot basin and got dragon scale. Should I upgrade my drakesword with it or hold off on it?

hmm. there are better dragons weapon but i dunno if you're gonna pump up your STR

Is there a benefit to having 2 besides different enchantments? Can you attack faster or something?

You can do a really fast jab left handed jab. It's useful for stunning enemies with no poise, which you can then follow up with a devastating right handed combo. Stamina cost is minimal, but you sacrifice blocking so you have to get used to evading attacks.

The Capra fight was definitely not easy, but as soon as it was one on one it felt like a cage match. So awesome.

Grief.exe

Since people are talking about a new "souls" game, it'll PROBABLY be on the next gen consoles and PC right?

The idea of a Dark Souls on next gen/PC is really really exciting, because I just keep thinking of the scale they would be able to make things.

Or they could just release it on PC now and it will already significantly surpass next gen..

Just saying.

a no to the dynasty warriors idea

Hzoltan69

I love NG+ so far. Breezed through to the Depths without a single death. Asylum, Taurus, Havel, Gargoyles, Capra all went down first time. Feel like a god. :)

Anyone within SL71 range willing to help me out with getting Kalameet's tail? Trying to do it solo is such a pain in the ass.

Edit: nevermind, got it with a couple of randoms :)

kinggroin

Banned
Finally beat the game. Died a shit ton (kinda wish they had a death count at the end) but it was fun. I probably died close to 1000 times.

Hardest boss was probably The Two Gargoyles. Extra special bonus to those fucking 1-legged lightning demons that drop Demon Titanite.

Hardest level was probably Blight town or Anor Londo (fuck the archers).

Easiest (non-gimmick) boss was Quelaag.

Went through the game using Broadsword --> Winged Spear --> Lightning Winged Spear --> Balder Side Sword --> Quelaag's Furysword --> Silver Knight Spear

Broadsword was fun at first, but I died too many times in the beginning. So I became a pussy and switched to poking behind a shield with spears. The Balder Side Sword was an okay upgrade, and good to break up the monotony of a spear. Quelaag's Furysword was fun, but the animation was awkward and got me killed all the time. The Silver Knight Spear is the best. Amazing range, damage, and stamina usage. Extra bonus for not having to switch to another divine weapon while in the Catacombs.

Big shoutout to the Dragonslayer bow/arrow. I cheesed a bunch of things with it, such as the demons in Lost Izalith.

Armor --> after the first few stages, I basically ran naked the entire game. I HATED the slow running and rolling. Yes, it was a lot more dangerous, but once I got used to the enemies, it wasn't too bad. The downside is looking a skinny dried stick of meat all the time because I was afraid to use Humanity.

Ha ha this post made laugh.

SJRB

Gold Member
Did they nerf the Lightning Spear? I just recovered it in Sen's Fortress and I don't remember it being this weak. I could pretty much shred through the Serpent Soldiers on the ps3 version.

Sentenza

Did they nerf the Lightning Spear? I just recovered it in Sen's Fortress and I don't remember it being this weak. I could pretty much shred through the Serpent Soldiers on the ps3 version.
All elemental weapons got a nerf in the "Prepare to Die edition".

On a side note, I just finished the game yesterday. Since I dropped it my weapon of choice has been the Black Knight Halberd +5. Reasonably quick, enormous reach and big damage.
I didn't have the chance to try the Black Knight Greataxe, by the way. It was the only weapon I didn't drop from those fuckers.

BKGA is probably my favorite weapon that I tried so far. Wish that I didn't screw up my build on the 360 version that uses it - would like to go back to it when the DLC drops on consoles.

Sentenza

Four Kings is freaking ridiculous. The second the first King comes close it shoots one of those purple things which instantly kills me. No chance to dodge or run away from it.

I've tried 20 times maybe and I'm beginning to think it's impossible. No matter what I do I get killed by this homing purple thing. Is high vitality required to beat this?
My tactic for the Four Kings: full Havel, a heavy weapon (once again, BK Halberd) and I just ran into them swinging like a mad man.
They died so easily I had to wait roughly 10 seconds for each one of them to spawn.

cm osi

Four Kings is freaking ridiculous. The second the first King comes close it shoots one of those purple things which instantly kills me. No chance to dodge or run away from it.

I've tried 20 times maybe and I'm beginning to think it's impossible. No matter what I do I get killed by this homing purple thing. Is high vitality required to beat this?

hmm, not really. you need a good m.def shield and to get closer to them . you can summon witch beatrice but she's not that good against them.

cm osi

Thanks, but I don't see how my gear have any significance when I can't even get into the fight. I die the same second the first King arrives.

I'm using full Havel and Zweihander +15 btw.
try some light armor, you have to reach the king as soon as possible

Ridley327

Getting a shield with high magic reduction will help out tremendously if a King is using that move. The Crest Shield or if you managed to get a Dark Hand to drop from a Darkwraith would be immensely valuable to you.

SJRB

Gold Member
All elemental weapons got a nerf in the "Prepare to Die edition".

On a side note, I just finished the game yesterday. Since I dropped it my weapon of choice has been the Black Knight Halberd +5. Reasonably quick, enormous reach and big damage.
I didn't have the chance to try the Black Knight Greataxe, by the way. It was the only weapon I didn't drop from those fuckers.

Damnit, Lightning Spear was my favourite weapon.

O well. Anyone using a katana? One wiki says the uchogatana has better stats, the other wiki states the Iaito is better. Any advice?

Are they even good to use after Sen's Fortress at all?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

In regards to this idea, I didn't mean for that to be happening ALL the time, but I feel like after a particularly rough section, it would feel great to just have a small section where you can just rip through everything like a reward for getting through that rough section.

Ridley327

O well. Anyone using a katana? One wiki says the uchogatana has better stats, the other wiki states the Iaito is better. Any advice?

I'm using both. I would say that the Uchigatana is the more useful of the two since it has slash/thrust properties, as opposed to the Iaito's slash-only status. Either one will do you very well for a dex build, as their A-scaling nets a lot of bonus damage, as well as being able to inflict bleeding rather quickly. Do not sleep on them at all.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm using both. I would say that the Uchigatana is the more useful of the two since it has slash/thrust properties, as opposed to the Iaito's slash-only status. Either one will do you very well for a dex build, as their A-scaling nets a lot of bonus damage, as well as being able to inflict bleeding rather quickly. Do not sleep on them at all.

Thanks. The Iaito's R2 attack looks cool but is pretty useless, especially against shield-wielding enemies. Too bad I wasted all my large titanite shards on upgrading it, guess I should start farming Sen's to buy a bunch from the merchant and upgrade my Uchigatana some more.

Ridley327

Thanks. The Iaito's R2 attack looks cool but is pretty useless, especially against shield-wielding enemies. Too bad I wasted all my large titanite shards on upgrading it, guess I should start farming Sen's to buy a bunch from the merchant and upgrade my Uchigatana some more.

At +15, it's a beast. Getting a riposte with it will make you say "wow."

Sentenza

As far as i can remember the best spot to farm large titanite shards is in the Depths, just outside of the bonfire's room (slimes).

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah i guess... i don't hold pyro in SUCH high regard it's just kinda awesome especially for only +2 and i really enjoy using it..... but i guess ill have just as much fun when i Ng+ or eventually make a new char ........ So then the fury sword is no big loss? i've got sif's soul now so i guess i can make artorias' sword...... just need to get my faith up :-/

thanks
Kinda late, but yeah, that sword is not really THAT important. I hear it's pretty great, but you'll get through NG without it no prob (I did).

I've taken a lot of time with the game and it took me about 85-90 hours to beat it. If you're paced a little faster I'm sure you can do it in 75.

Project Goat-block is finally finished! Capra vs. Depraved:
Amazing dude, I love that praise the Sun pose on fucking Capra lol.

I use the Iaito because I like it's wide R2 attack more than the "lunging" R2 of the Uchigatana. In damage I think they're pretty much the same. I actually made myself a whole lot of Uchigatanas with different effects in case I needed special damage against one of the bosses :p

As far as i can remember the best spot to farm large titanite shards is in the Depths, just outside of the bonfire's room (slimes).
The DLC area has a few enemies that regularly drop large titanite shards, but for me the best thing is farming the shielded slimes in the Painted World and then just spend 100k on shards :p

Would a Claymore with fire help me? I've come close, but, those dogs, those dogs, those dogs are giving me nightmares. I'm going to think about returning the game. I'm having nightmares about Capra, I imagine I'm in a dark room naked and Capra bursts through the door, I can't move because the dogs hit me, and then Capra murders me.

I'm so scared of Capra. He's haunting my dreams now. I swear he's giving me panic attacks. Now I hear theres more of them? I can't do it, he's too scary for me.

UrbanRats

Man,
Gwyn
at 15 fps was a pain in the butt, parrying him with those fire effects that made all slow down, it must have took me 5 tries or more.
Manus was fun though (with a phantom + Sif, epic fight, yes)

zkylon

zkylewd
Would a Claymore with fire help me?
Not really if you can't get up the stairs. The "combo" is run right, roll diagonally towards the stairs, run up the stairs and after they end go to the right. You'll get into a tight spot only the dogs can get into. Dispatch them, then get 1v1 on Capra with whatever fire stuff you want. It always helps since more damage is more damage.

Ridley327

Would a Claymore with fire help me? I've come close, but, those dogs, those dogs, those dogs are giving me nightmares. I'm going to think about returning the game. I'm having nightmares about Capra, I imagine I'm in a dark room naked and Capra bursts through the door, I can't move because the dogs hit me, and then Capra murders me.

I'm so scared of Capra. He's haunting my dreams now. I swear he's giving me panic attacks. Now I hear theres more of them? I can't do it, he's too scary for me.

Oh, how I wish right now that work's PC let you right click on avatars...

cm osi

capra demon is not a matter of weapon, it's just dodging the first attack and the dogs.
run right and then roll/jump to the stairs.
or try summon for some help.

dark souls

wait, why are you naked?

Top Bottom