• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

upandaway

Hahaha, I was fighting the Tauros boss thing on the bridge (mostly throwing myself at him and dying just to pass time) and after getting him about a quarter down he fell off and died. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm not CLOSE to deserving that but oh well! Haha.

Vaporak

Would a Claymore with fire help me? I've come close, but, those dogs, those dogs, those dogs are giving me nightmares. I'm going to think about returning the game. I'm having nightmares about Capra, I imagine I'm in a dark room naked and Capra bursts through the door, I can't move because the dogs hit me, and then Capra murders me.

I'm so scared of Capra. He's haunting my dreams now. I swear he's giving me panic attacks. Now I hear theres more of them? I can't do it, he's too scary for me.

Weakness: Resignation.
Try: Courage.

Hahaha, I was fighting the Tauros boss thing on the bridge (mostly throwing myself at him and dying just to pass time) and after getting him about a quarter down he fell off and died. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm not CLOSE to deserving that but oh well! Haha.

this is even more hysterical in pvp. one time when I was playing a forest hunter I invaded a guy who was waiting for a duel near the stairs in darkroot garden (you'll go there in a little while, it's a common spot for semi-organised pvp). we both buffed up and readied ourselves, bowed then began.

I rolled at him with my rapier and thrust to test his defences. he immediately rolled out of the way, and fell straight of a cliff. it took me about 10 minutes to stop laughing completely.

Thrakier

So, which of the devs thought it was funny to NOT put a bonfire in the new londo area? Idk man, sometimes...just lost 40k souls because of this shit. And I have no idea where to go, already lowered the water and went through fog doors twice.

Ridley327

So, which of the devs thought it was funny to NOT put a bonfire in the new londo area? Idk man, sometimes...just lost 40k souls because of this shit. And I have no idea where to go, already lowered the water and went through fog doors twice.

You're essentially going to be heading to the center of the bottom. You'll know you're heading the right way when you get to a big room that has ghosts, Darkwraiths, and the second Mass of Souls.

NBtoaster

Shortcut: In the area with the first two ghosts, you can drop down to the lower level on the right. Follow the right path here, eventually you'll come to a fog gate.

To progress here, you will need the ring from killing the boss of the forest area.

Thrakier

You're essentially going to be heading to the center of the bottom. You'll know you're heading the right way when you get to a big room that has ghosts, Darkwraiths, and the second Mass of Souls.

I'll have to do that every time I loose to the 4 kings!?

Shortcut: In the area with the first two ghosts, you can drop down to the lower level on the right. Follow the right path here, eventually you'll come to a fog gate.

To progress here, you will need the ring from killing the boss of the forest area.

Which ring and why?

Thrakier

Covenant of Artorias. If you don't have the ring euipped you will instantly die when entering the boss area.

Butterfly or Seth? Killed both anyway.

fuck killing sif man, they need to patch in a way to get the ring without killing him. like, maybe if you save puppy-sif in the dlc he just hands it over to you as a way of saying thanks. when he starts to limp near the end of the fight my giant heart breaks and I have to go and hide in the humvee.

fuck killing sif man, they need to patch in a way to get the ring without killing him. like, maybe if you save puppy-sif in the dlc he just hands it over to you as a way of saying thanks. when he starts to limp near the end of the fight my giant heart breaks and I have to go and hide in the humvee.

Can you ask someone to give you the Covenant of Artorias or does that not work?

yeah he needs to die if you want to finish the game :(

well, I could always use a save-game editor and just give myself the ring every time I make a new character but that feels more wrong than killing him.

zkylon

zkylewd
I hate being summoned to farm invaders. I just like beating S&O over and over again...

Also, Queelag's Furysword is fucking cool!

upandaway

I was so buddy buddy with my little axe I got as a Pyro (tried the shortsword too and didn't "get" it), then the axe nearly broke, so I reluctantly equipped a spear that just dropped. Love at first sight man.

All I do is the same stab like a stupid little whatever, and I dunno it just... works out. I look so dumb in fights now. I don't know what it is with me and spears in games. I SHALL POKE MY WAY TO THE LIVING.

How are spears considered in DS? What's considered the best weapon type?

Ridley327

As extra sad that fight with Sif gets if you do the DLC first, I thought it made for some terrific storytelling. You get an even better sense of what's at stake than ever before, and you find out without so much as a whisper.

Raxum

Anyone have any idea how much the elemental weapons got nerfed in the PTDE? I noticed the numbers were down a bit, but on top of that when I attack things with something they are weak against it still doesn't seem to do very much damage. I have a +8 Divine spear that I was going to use for TotG and it's only doing between 60-80 damage on any of the skeletal enemies(It's saying I should be doing 300+according to my stats). I wanted to use it for the Nito fight to stop the adds respawning, but I'm beginning to think that just destroying everything with my Demon Great Machete +15 would be the better strat (I'm doing a str/melee playthrough).

EasyMode

Anyone have any idea how much the elemental weapons got nerfed in the PTDE? I noticed the numbers were down a bit but, on top of that when I attack things with something they are weak against it still doesn't seem to do very much damage. I have a +8 Divine spear, that I was going to use for TotG and it's only doing between 60-80 damage on any of the skeletal enemies(It's saying I should be doing 300+according to my stats). I wanted to use it for the Nito fight to stop the adds respawning, but I'm beginning to think that just destroying everything with my Demon Great Machete +15 would be the better strat (I'm doing a str/melee playthrough).

For that fight, I just use whatever divine weapon I have to kill the skeletons and then switch to something more damaging for Nito.

zkylon

zkylewd
Fuck S&O in NG+. Those fuckers are aggressive as hell and I just died with just one hit left for Smough T_T. I rolled+attacked to get a quick kill but the bastard just did his butt stomp and I was left below him, and his ugly ass was the last thing I saw.

Raxum

For that fight, I just use whatever divine weapon I have to kill the skeletons and then switch to something more damaging for Nito.

Fair enough, I made a divine spear because the only 2 divine weapons I had I couldn't wield. But I kind of wanted something that did decent damage without me putting in much dex, or that I could defend with (thus the spear), but that amount of damage is fairly negligible against the giants.

The giant skeleton dogs (not sure of their name) are a big pain for using a slow weapon against, I pretty much can't kill them without getting hit. They recover from a shield stun before I recover from attacking them. Maybe I need a faster weapon. Any recommendations for a reasonably fast, decent str build weapon?

EasyMode

Fair enough, I made a divine spear because the only 2 divine weapons I had I couldn't wield. But I kind of wanted something that did decent damage without me putting in much dex, or that I could defend with (thus the spear), but that amount of damage is fairly negligible against the giants.

The giant skeleton dogs (not sure of their name) are a big pain for using a slow weapon against, I pretty much can't kill them without getting hit. They recover from a shield stun before I recover from attacking them. Maybe I need a faster weapon. Any recommendations for a reasonably fast, decent str build weapon?

Yeah the dogs are a pain in the ass. If you have a maxed out pyro glove, it only takes one Great Fireball or Chaos Fireball to kill them. How many hits of your Demon Machete does it take to kill them and how much STR do you have? I'm partial to the Man-Serpent Greatsword: 521 damage at 40 STR and same speed as the Claymore. But even with a faster weapon you might run into the same problem. Once I get to the second bonfire I just run past them.

Sentenza

Damn, I just read about the Dark Wood Grain Ring.
Sounds like with this nerf they turned something awesome (maybe even TOO much awesome) in something almost useless.

EasyMode

Damn, I just read about the Dark Wood Grain Ring.
Sounds like with this nerf they turned something awesome (maybe even TOO awesome) in something almost useless.

It was the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too ring. People flipping all over the place with high poise armor, and without going beyond 40 Endurance. Now you have to make a meaningful sacrifice with your other stats if you want that kind of mobility as a tank. The flipping animation was awesome, but it's for the best.

UrbanRats

I always have that ring equipped (unless i need something very specific, like rusted iron ring) yes i need to be <25% anyway, but i think the ninja roll has a much faster recovery and more i-frames.
I'm not sure of this, but with the ring on, i'm much better at getting that timing right.

Anyway started NG+ and even before heading to the Burg, i did Pinwheel to have 20 estus, the fucker killed me, i rushed there with minimal HP and was totally careless. :p
Got him at the second try, of course.

Sentenza

It was the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too ring. People flipping all over the place with high poise armor, and without going beyond 40 Endurance. Now you have to make a meaningful sacrifice with your other stats if you want that kind of mobility as a tank. The flipping animation was awesome, but it's for the best.
I'm talking about middle grounds, here.
It apparently was an absolute must before, but for how it works now I can't see a single reason to use it over a Havel Ring, for instance.

I killed Capra. I am crying right now, I feel as though a part of my life is over, i can sleep easily, I can go on with my life knowing it will be okay. I did it, gaf, I did it. I beat the Capra demon.

No other enemy or boss is as scary looking as capra.

Raxum

Yeah the dogs are a pain in the ass. If you have a maxed out pyro glove, it only takes one Great Fireball or Chaos Fireball to kill them. How many hits of your Demon Machete does it take to kill them and how much STR do you have? I'm partial to the Man-Serpent Greatsword: 521 damage at 40 STR and same speed as the Claymore. But even with a faster weapon you might run into the same problem. Once I get to the second bonfire I just run past them.

It's taking 1.1111111 hits to kill them with the 1-hand light attack, I'm at 45 str, says it should do about 640 damage by the status page, but it's hitting the skeleton dog things for about 450. I was thinking either the Man Serpent Greatsword or the Butcher Axe, as I quite like the moveset of both, and both have good scaling. It'll just be a bit of a chore to re-farm all the upgrade materials to make the switch. I was quite happy with the Demon Machete until now, and I've only got Nito and Four Kings left of the four lords.

Currently don't have enough attunement for any spell-casting whatsoever. Probably should fix that as pyromancy would be a good supplement for the strength build.

Edit: Congrats Alim, that boss fight can be very trying, and I certainly remember my first attempts at the Capra Demon. Honestly though, when i played it on console I gave up just after Ornstein and Smough. Currently have resolved to finish this on PC at least once. A str build was probably not the best choice first up though haha

zkylon

zkylewd
YES! Took me a ton of tries but finally killed effing S&O, Smough first, NG+, no summons. So much pain, but monumental achievement for me :)

I killed Capra. I am crying right now, I feel as though a part of my life is over, i can sleep easily, I can go on with my life knowing it will be okay. I did it, gaf, I did it. I beat the Capra demon.

YES! Took me a ton of tries but finally killed effing S&O, Smough first, NG+, no summons. So much pain, but monumental achievement for me :)

aerial-high-five-fuck-yeah.jpg

EasyMode

I'm talking about middle grounds, here.
It apparently was an absolute must before, but for how it works now I can't see a single reason to use it over a Havel Ring, for instance.

Yeah it's useless now. I can't really think of a way they might have nerfed it halfway.

It's taking 1.1111111 hits to kill them with the 1-hand light attack

If the 1-hand light attack does that much damage, then wouldn't a 2-hand strong attack (the jumping one?) one-shot them?

zkylon

zkylewd
I get the feeling that the reward from killing S&O would be better if I had some kind of nude mod installed lol.

Anyhow, anyone knows how to get to this chest? Is there anything worthwhile in there?

Haven't done it in NG+, but the first time I beat them might be one of the most satisfying moments in gaming for me ever.
Yeah man, just like the False King in Demon's, I was shaking by the end. So goood.

Raxum

Yeah it's useless now. I can't really think of a way they might have nerfed it halfway.

If the 1-hand light attack does that much damage, then wouldn't a 2-hand strong attack (the jumping one?) one-shot them?

A 1-hand jumping attack 1-shots them but I can't get it off in time. They get stunned back, or do their chomping/clawing/fall-over attack, I initiate it as soon as the last hit touches my shield and they get up and stun me out of it before I get it done. It's only like half a second too slow it seems. And I'm even trying it with light armor on for mobility with everything else.

It's only really a slight annoyance in the end that they're hitting me, as I can avoid getting hit by pretty much everything else easily. Been using the Greatshield of Artorias and it's been going really well for pretty much everything so far, nice and light, and really high stability. Possibly just need to deal with being slower and use some high poise armor as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I get the feeling that the reward from killing S&O would be better if I had some kind of nude mod installed lol.

Anyhow, anyone knows how to get to this chest? Is there anything worthwhile in there?

Yeah man, just like the False King in Demon's, I was shaking by the end. So goood.

In that shot, do you see where those statues are on the right? Jump onto that area, then you can climb through the window on the other side by the chest and head up the stairs. Be careful.

zkylon

zkylewd
Man it's taking forever to get summoned in NG+ and I don't want to get 25 faith for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant...

GFWL, man, such a dark taint on an otherwise perfect game...

---

Is SL 80 too much for NG+ Anor Londo?

In that shot, do you see where those statues are on the right? Jump onto that area, then you can climb through the window on the other side by the chest and head up the stairs. Be careful.
Cool, actually I think I can see it from my screenshot, so will try.

Capra is the hardest demon in the game imo. I've seen S/O, oh don't get me wrong I'll probably rage quit on them, but, Capra was artificially hard and no fun to fight. It's really difficult to fight him when he has 2 dog minions and a small arena and hits you the second you go through the door. Capra was a broken boring unfun fight and should not been as hard as it should be. There no was no skill involved, once Capra was alone he became a wimp.

It was all luck. Worst fight in the game no doubt.

NBtoaster

Capra is the hardest demon in the game imo. I've seen S/O, oh don't get me wrong I'll probably rage quit on them, but, Capra was artificially hard and no fun to fight. It's really difficult to fight him when he has 2 dog minions and a small arena and hits you the second you go through the door. Capra was a broken boring unfun fight and should not been as hard as it should be. There no was no skill involved, once Capra was alone he became a wimp.

You're going to love a certain piece of furniture.

Ridley327

HUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

Grief.exe

I think you missed my post and boss video. Fight is pretty easy if you watch his attacks and roll through them, or for a new player just block them. The only one you can't block is his double sword attack, but that's pretty easy to see coming.

The real reason I'm reposting this is check out that youtube video channel, guy has boss guides for every single boss. Just watch one when you get frustrated and it will help you out.

What you want to do is run to the right and roll through his swings.

All of his attacks are telegraphed and actually pretty easy to dodge.

If a dog blocks your way, just go 2 hand and you should be able to burn through him in one hit.

Watch this boss guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15SgSY6rNcw&feature=plcp

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think you missed my post and boss video. Fight is pretty easy if you watch his attacks and roll through them, or for a new player just block them. The only one you can't block is his double sword attack, but that's pretty easy to see coming.

The real reason I'm reposting this is check out that youtube video channel, guy has boss guides for every single boss. Just watch one when you get frustrated and it will help you out.

The guy who does those videos is such a badass. I just spent an hour going through his videos. Wow.

Anyway, for me, it was definitely Kalameet who gave me the most trouble in terms of bosses. That guy was hard as hell. Took me like 2 hours of non-stop tries to finally get him.

UrbanRats

NG+, did Capra, Gaping and Quelaag fairly easily, but i have yet to kill Taurus and the Gargoyles, lol.
I hope i haven't broke the game too much.

It's a divine blessing.

That is one of my favourite areas of the whole game for PvP, the amount of people even when you're at a high level that don't know how to get across is hilarious, I've seen invaders try literally everything to try and get across. Sometimes they just run off the ledge on the opposite side because they come up on the lift, see you at the far end forget there is a huge drop! It never gets old using the environment against your competitor!

Hzoltan69

After playing Dark Souls exclusively for the last month or so, yesterday I went back to Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which I left off a few months ago.

While I really appreciate the art design of DS it still came as a shock (again) how far behind graphically it really is compared to a modern PC game.

I really wish to see a sequel with all the bells and whistles on PC. I'd build a quad-sli for it any day if necessary.

Yes, I am a graphics whore.

zkylon

zkylewd
NG+, did Capra, Gaping and Quelaag fairly easily, but i have yet to kill Taurus and the Gargoyles, lol.
I hope i haven't broke the game too much.
I just beat Anor Londo and so far everyone's been pretty easy ('cept S&O). You shouldn't have a problem with the Gargoyles.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's a divine blessing.

That is one of my favourite areas of the whole game for PvP, the amount of people even when you're at a high level that don't know how to get across is hilarious, I've seen invaders try literally everything to try and get across. Sometimes they just run off the ledge on the opposite side because they come up on the lift, see you at the far end forget there is a huge drop! It never gets old using the environment against your competitor!
lol that's awesome. Gotta love inventive griefing, I imagine some awesome stuff using Chameleon...

And I think I'll get there just to leave no stone unturned, but I never found use for Divine Blessings. I mean, estus/humanity, what else you need?

Thing is, since i skipped them (by jumping to lower undead burg) i killed Queelag before even freeing Lautrec.
I had a lot of trouble the first time in NG (still did it without summoning) but in NG+ it was a joke. 5-6 hits from my scythe and the first gargoyle was down.

And I think I'll get there just to leave no stone unturned, but I never found use for Divine Blessings. I mean, estus/humanity, what else you need?
Yeah exactly, and you don't get enough of them to want to equip them. It heals full health faster than anything else and removes poison/toxic etc, so maybe keep them near the top of your inventory just in case you need an extra fast heal. Wasted item though.

Thing is, since i skipped them (by jumping to lower undead burg) i killed Queelag before even freeing Lautrec.
Doing things in a different order can have an effect on NPCs, but nothing game breaking. If Lautrec isn't around in the Parish, he will definately be in Anor Londo.

Top Bottom