• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

zkylon

zkylewd
Ugh, can't get summoned if my life depended on it. Just spent half an hour parrying silver knights while waiting and nothing. I even decided to break every single breakable piece of furniture while slowly walking everywhere :/

I think it might be a soul level thing. Where do you guys think I can go for cooping in NG+, SL 80? Should I bump it to 125 like in Demon's Souls? I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to but it's better than nothing.

I'm in New londo right now...regarding the DLC...which area should I try first?
The DLC is very linear (it's still pretty mazy and full of DkS labyrinthic fun and it has an open 'feel'), so you don't have a choice in which order to do the areas. Just teleport through Darkroot Basin and explore.

Thrakier

Ugh, can't get summoned if my life depended on it. Just spent half an hour parrying silver knights while waiting and nothing. I even decided to break every single breakable piece of furniture while slowly walking everywhere :/

I think it might be a soul level thing. Where do you guys think I can go for cooping in NG+, SL 80? Should I bump it to 125 like in Demon's Souls? I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to but it's better than nothing.

The DLC is very linear (it's still pretty mazy and full of DkS labyrinthic fun and it has an open 'feel'), so you don't have a choice in which order to do the areas. Just teleport through Darkroot Basin and explore.

I don't have the basin teleport yet, I killed the hydra though...

EDIT:

How hard is the DLC? When it's the best time to do it?

EasyMode

Where can I find Sif in the DLC? I seem to have missed him in my first playthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-8saaPCQY

I don't have the basin teleport yet, I killed the hydra though...

EDIT:

How hard is the DLC? When it's the best time to do it?

The DLC bosses are some of the more difficult ones in the game, except for the first one. The best time is towards the end of the game when you have a good shield and weapon.

ArynCrinn

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-8saaPCQY

The DLC bosses are some of the more difficult ones in the game, except for the first one. The best time is towards the end of the game when you have a good shield and weapon.

I'm going to be attempting to beat the entire DLC, all pickups and everything done, at base SL. No healing or elemental weapons for bosses. Just a +15 Longsword and hopefully Red Tearstone activated.

Wish me luck!

EasyMode

weird, the first boss was the hardest for me =/

the other ones were rather easy..

i went pretty early thow ( right after o&s)

Haha, I scratch my head whenever people say they had an easy time with Artorias or Manus, but it's all relative to your build. Some playstyles can make an otherwise difficult boss trivial, or maybe you guys are just godlike.

I'm going to be attempting to beat the entire DLC, all pickups and everything done, at base SL. No healing or elemental weapons for bosses. Just a +15 Longsword and hopefully Red Tearstone activated.

Wish me luck!

Base SL for the DLC + red tearstone? That's crazy, good luck with that. #YOLO

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
weird, the first boss was the hardest for me =/

the other ones were rather easy..

i went pretty early thow ( right after o&s)

I agree, Sanc. guardian has a crazy number of attacks and doesn't have much recovery on whiff [save for the wind attack].

figuring him out took waaaay longer for me than artorias.

and manus i beat on my first try.

I'm level 20 right now and defeated Moonlight Butterfly just now. What worries me is that I'm playing 99% of the time as hollowed. Sure drop rate is higher in human form and you can summon phantoms, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong or not playing this the way it's intended. Oh well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm level 20 right now and defeated Moonlight Butterfly just now. What worries me is that I'm playing 99% of the time as hollowed. Sure drop rate is higher in human form and you can summon phantoms, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong or not playing this the way it's intended. Oh well.

hollow vs human is a choice, neither option is playing the game wrong.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There isn't really a "right" way to play it but you are missing out on a lot of the multiplayer components by not being human. Although it's understandable, the game is far too punishing for a first time player to walk around as human.

Yeah I'm a scaredy cat/worry wort. If I die by a dumb enemy while in Human form and lose my shit, I'll scream at myself. I also stocked up on dozens of souls which I've yet to consume that net me Humanity.

I get to a point with each character about 3/4 of the way to the community level cap where I have no idea where to spend the rest of the points and it seems like I'm always a few points short of what I want. Never worried about it on my first playthrough on the 360, but trying to do it now with the lower level cap is such a pain in the ass. Probably doesn't help that I can't PvP for the life of me either so I'm never sure of what to go for.

cm osi

drop rate is not affected by human/hollow form. only thing you need is the Coveteus Gold Serpent Ring (or symbol of avarice) and 10 active humanity to reach 410 droprate.
but i don't know if they changed on the prepare to die edition

Yeah I'm a scaredy cat/worry wort. If I die by a dumb enemy while in Human form and lose my shit, I'll scream at myself. I also stocked up on dozens of souls which I've yet to consume that net me Humanity.
You're going to lose souls and die, a lot - it's no big deal. Go human and enjoy co-op and invasions, it's great fun!

You'll never be short of humanity, just slap down your own summon sign and for every boss you defeat while summoned you get humanity and a ton of souls.

mxgt

Banned
Doing a hardcore run where if I die, I delete my char and start again.

I don't think it's going to be too tough seeing how used to the game I am, but I guess we'll see

Also not using magic cause that just makes it super ez mode

You're going to lose souls and die, a lot - it's no big deal. Go human and enjoy co-op and invasions, it's great fun!

You'll never be short of humanity, just slap down your own summon sign and for every boss you defeat while summoned you get humanity and a ton of souls.

I used the summon system a lot on my first couple play-throughs, not summoning, but being summoned. I got a lot of practice in this way. Beating bosses over and over is fun. Sometimes I wish they had the system used in some games, like 3D Dot Game Heroes, where you can resurrect the boss after, and fight him again for fun.

SJRB

Gold Member

Wish me luck!

Last weekend I watched a livestream of someone doing a similar run - base character, no upgrades, no magic/pyromancy and a club as a main weapon.

I watched some when he was fighing Manus but then I left to do groceries and whatnot, was gone for hours and when I came back home he was still going. It took the guy more than 6 hours to beat Manus, I kid you not.

Last weekend I watched a livestream of someone doing a similar run - base character, no upgrades, no magic/pyromancy and a club as a main weapon.

I watched some when he was fighing Manus but then I left to do groceries and whatnot, was gone for hours and when I came back home he was still going. It took the guy more than 6 hours to beat Manus, I kid you not.

WTF. And I was complaining that I was having troubles? Base weapon? WTF, that's nuts. Do you have a link to his channel btw? I'd be curious to see some of this play-through.

zkylon

zkylewd
So no one has any tips for getting summoned? Best place in NG+ in SL 80?

drop rate is not affected by human/hollow form. only thing you need is the Coveteus Gold Serpent Ring (or symbol of avarice) and 10 active humanity to reach 410 droprate.
but i don't know if they changed on the prepare to die edition
Nope, it's still soft humanity + gold ring for drop rates, silver ring + symbol of avarice for souls.

mxgt

Banned

I don't think it's going to be too tough seeing how used to the game I am, but I guess we'll see

I got parried by a Balder Knight and died ;_;

such a rookie mistake. Time to start again

Long time coming. It's been like 2 weeks since my last video entry.

For those that are new to the thread, I've been doing a highlight reel video series entry and been updating my progress here. They are short videos, containing boss/mini boss fights on my PTDE play-through.

Well, episode 36. and 37 are up:

DLC SPOILERS:
Santuary Guardian (36) and Knight Artorias (37). Up next is Manus, and this guy is DESTROYING me with base HP still. I'll admit, I haven't played much in the last 2 weeks, so I'm a little rusty, but that's only a small part of it. I can already tell, Manus is going to be awesome on challenge modes.

EP. 36: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KshbQqVRY5M&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=36&feature=plpp_video

EP. 37: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeJCMqF-5TM&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=37&feature=plpp_video

koryuken

Good luck. Going to be tough on bosses. Gargoyles can throw you off the roof randomly... Capra demon with the doggies...

Good luck. Going to be tough on bosses. Gargoyles can throw you off the roof randomly... Capra demon with the doggies...

"randomly" isn't the right word, you can easily prevent that with careful positioning. the capra demon is a complete pushover once you've mastered the sprint to the stairs, I one shot him consistently now even with an sl1 character. the first time I beat him I remember thinking "that was such a shitty fight, I can't believe how stupid that was, blah blah", after the next time I realised that he's not really hard, it's just that learning his fight can be so demoralising because of all of the "dogs hit me and I died in front of the fog door" moments you have to go through before you figure out how to get the opening moments of the fight under control.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just found out there is a shortcut through Sen's Fortress - you can ride the cages from the top all the way to the bottom.

What the fuck, I feel like such a dumbass right now. I must've ran through that place a thousand times because I didn't acquire the lordvessel yet. Anyway, to do this you need the Cage Key you get from going all the way to the bottom of the little tower where the crestfallen merchant is in Sen's. Then go up towards the boss area, you move through a small interior with two cages hanging. You can unlock and enter the left one and it will take you all the way down towards the first walkway near the entrance. Be careful though because there is a Serpent Soldier right next to it who will push you over the ledge if you don't watch out. Also watch out for the lightning wielding cobra.

Thrakier

Brute forced my way through the four kings and the guardin of the DLC (used more than 10 estus). Feels good man, like a baws.

Sanctuary looks beautiful, very nice area indeed.

Raxum

So I got through a lot more of the game, I've been using a +14 Man-serpent Greatsword instead of a the Demon Great Machete+15 and damn it's a lot easier to do everything with a faster weapon.

In one night I beat Nito, the 4 kings, Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias, all for the first time except the 4 kings. Most trouble I had was actually with the Sanctuary Guardian because learning his timing was annoying. Artorias was a pushover when using his Greatshield against him. Damn me if the Chasm of the Abyss isn't a scary area the first time you go there.

ArynCrinn

Banned
That sounds awesome, you going to get this captured?

That's the plan, yeah.

I don't doubt it, Manus will be annoying even for my plan. I've never really invested in doing base SL runs so I'll start with allowing myself weapon upgrades. =P

koryuken

"randomly" isn't the right word, you can easily prevent that with careful positioning. the capra demon is a complete pushover once you've mastered the sprint to the stairs, I one shot him consistently now even with an sl1 character. the first time I beat him I remember thinking "that was such a shitty fight, I can't believe how stupid that was, blah blah", after the next time I realised that he's not really hard, it's just that learning his fight can be so demoralising because of all of the "dogs hit me and I died in front of the fog door" moments you have to go through before you figure out how to get the opening moments of the fight under control.

Hey man, more power to you. I'd like to see it with no deaths.

upandaway

Just beat the gargoyles (first try, first time seeing them). Pyromancy was broken enough as it was but it went to an entire new level when I got the drake sword. I wonder if I'm doing the right thing here...

Oh well, gonna use everything that is given to me.

willooi

Wow, after posting some tips here a couple of days ago on how to beat the Four Kings, I am having a horrible time with them in NG+. Complete and utter failure - I just can't beat the first one quick enough before the next one spawns. So many times I've just had to do a runner with all 4 of them and those horrible purple bolts on my tail, and homeward bone the hell out of there, lol.

Can't believe how quickly NG+ flies past. NG took about 80 hours, but I've managed to reach this point again - one boss fight left before it's off to the Kiln - in what, 8 hours? Such a great feeling knowing the ins and outs of this game, and even then I'm sure there's heaps that I've missed.

On a separate note, I've figured out a great way to combat invading phantoms - run to your nearest narrow bridge and stand in the middle - or any narrow pathway which completely eliminates dirty backstabs. If they want to engage you, they have to come at you head on... and with a maxed out pyro glove and Great Chaos Fireballs, they do so at their peril.

So I got through a lot more of the game, I've been using a +14 Man-serpent Greatsword instead of a the Demon Great Machete+15 and damn it's a lot easier to do everything with a faster weapon.

In one night I beat Nito, the 4 kings, Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias, all for the first time except the 4 kings. Most trouble I had was actually with the Sanctuary Guardian because learning his timing was annoying. Artorias was a pushover when using his Greatshield against him. Damn me if the Chasm of the Abyss isn't a scary area the first time you go there.

sanctuary guardian is a jerk. the number of times I dodged his first attack only to have him come out of his recovery animation early and one shot me started to get a little tedious. pretty fun fight overall, though.

NBtoaster

On a separate note, I've figured out a great way to combat invading phantoms - run to your nearest narrow bridge and stand in the middle - or any narrow pathway which completely eliminates dirty backstabs. If they want to engage you, they have to come at you head on... and with a maxed out pyro glove and Great Chaos Fireballs, they do so at their peril.

For me, this just makes it easier to use acid surge and break all your stuff :p

Raxum

sanctuary guardian is a jerk. the number of times I dodged his first attack only to have him come out of his recovery animation early and one shot me started to get a little tedious. pretty fun fight overall, though.

Yeah I had that problem, except he'd tail whip me when I thought he should still be recovering. And then I'd be poisoned and it would be painful. Ah well, still only took me 3-4 tries. But other than that I accidentally initiated the Gwyn fight because I didn't read up enough on how big the Kiln of the First flame was. Lost about 20k souls to that, and then lost another 50k souls in oolacile sanctuary. That area full of bloatheads.

Really enjoying the lore in the DLC though.
The similarities between the royal wood and Darkroot garden is quite staggering, the scarecrows look the like the demon trees and drop the same stuff, there's large guardians with armor similar to the stone guardians. The living versions of the undead dogs in lower undead burg are there.
Beginning to think that the player character is a bit of an asshole, and somewhat the cause of his own problems.

willooi

For me, this just makes it easier to use acid surge and break all your stuff :p

Wow that's mean! Haha like, sure, invade and kill me, no worries... but to wreck all my gear as well!?

I'd also like to add re Four Kings, one of my recent failures was almost tragically hilarious:

After about 5 tries ending in frustration and another couple ruined by invaders (including one guy who took away his summon sign right when I went to accept it, and ended up invading and killing me instead), I finally managed to summon someone in the Ruins, and my partner and I were taking out the ghosts and Darkwraiths very efficiently, really keen on getting to the kings. A professional approach, you could say.

We enter the fog door, make sure that we're wearing our Covenants of Artorias, waiting a bit for the Transient Curse to run out, gesturing to one another to kill the time, before taking green blossoms for stamina. And then with a deep breath and my plan of attack fresh in my mind, I jump down...and friggin' die on one of the bloody ledges of the staircase poking out. A real FML moment, and I do confess that I even had thoughts of retiring after that one.

Raxum

Why do you think that?

Well mostly just things from the DLC tying in.
Like the Mushroom guardian next to the bonfire after the sanctuary guardian makes me wonder if the mushrooms you kill in Darkroot garden and the Great Hollow aren't either a part of her or more protectors af somewhere just trying to keep a balance. And you slaughter them. Along with the Scarecrows that are just gardening in the royal wood. This also all occurs backwards in time. So is it possible that you caused a few things to occur in the current time?
Also the Sif fight becomes even worse when you actually read about the story of Artorias. Makes me feel so bad.

Probably have to finish the DLC content to see how it all ties up though. And collect everything and read it all.

Raxum

DLC stuff. When, where, and how? Thanks.

Wait I should change that, not DLC just the PTDE stuff. Lol, I've been talking to mates who play it on the PS3 a lot and they call the extras 'DLC stuff'. Haha confusing talking to two different groups about the same thing when they have different slang. Unless of course you're asking how to get to the Artorias and Oolacile areas?

zkylon

zkylewd
Decided to bump my Faith from 8 up to 10 to see if that was enough to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant (you know, plus the times I helped in coop) and waddya know, it worked. Seems like I was one boss from getting in, but anyways, I'm in the jolly cooperation covenant now :)

Top Bottom