• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Need more info on the lore guys.

So I asked way before if there is something I needed to know before fighting Sif, as I had read some people saying " FROM why do you make me do this" after defeating Sif.

This lead me to believe something happened during the Sif fight, I just fought and beat him and nothing really happened, he was an awesome boss, but nothing really happened story wise to make me feel bad for killing him.

Now I spoiled myself a bit and read something about how you can find him in puppy form. Now im freaking out, did I sequence break the game? have I missed the chance to see him as a puppy?

:(

Second question. I have beat O&S, Sif, the painted world and the catacombs, not sure where im supposed to go next, I can go to the valley of the drakes, Ruins of Londo and Tomb of Giants.
You are a heartless person for not feeling bad about killing Sif. He didn't hurt anyone, he was just guarding the tomb of his master.

As for puppy Sif, you can meet him in the DLC whether you killed him in your main game or not. Although if you meet him as a puppy before you confront him in the main game, an alternate cutscene plays. You can find that on youtube.

Anyway you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
Need more info on the lore guys.

So I asked way before if there is something I needed to know before fighting Sif, as I had read some people saying " FROM why do you make me do this" after defeating Sif.

This lead me to believe something happened during the Sif fight, I just fought and beat him and nothing really happened, he was an awesome boss, but nothing really happened story wise to make me feel bad for killing him.

Now I spoiled myself a bit and read something about how you can find him in puppy form. Now im freaking out, did I sequence break the game? have I missed the chance to see him as a puppy?

:(
Rest easy, you didn't break anything. It's just that Sif is a nice doggie just tending for his master's grave and you come and kill him like the douchebag undead you are.

I also hear the intro cutscene is a little different if you defeated Artorias in the DLC area prior to fighting Sif. I'll check in NG++.

Second question. I have beat O&S, Sif, the painted world and the catacombs, not sure where im supposed to go next, I can go to the valley of the drakes, Ruins of Londo and Tomb of Giants.
I'd do Lost Izalith -> Duke's Archives -> New Londo -> Tomb of Giants. Valley of the Drakes is just a small little side area, so check it out too.

FQEVY.jpg

amazing

Thrakier

Fucking Manus. Tried only once but he seemed to be very OP. Smashed me like a bitch. Any tips? Were do you find Artorias armor?

image of lies and slander

She is referring to herself clearly. Also, if you follow the lore. The bodies or the skewers, as well as those bodies everywhere, may be due to either followers of Velka, or the priest who hid that Occult flame. Remember, Occult weapons, as well as Priscilla's Lifehunt ability, could be used to kill the Gods, thus why they are there!

The hollows that are there are trapped, and trying to kill you because they are HOLLOW! Rats, are simply Rats, and I swear, wheel skeletons are just trying to give you a hug! I have no excuse for the crow ladies...they just want to fuck you up.

Now, as for the Yellow demon hat guy. Well, he thought killing you would get him out. Nothing wrong with that! Besides, his hat is a light bulb! (cannot find that one Japanese comic of this however..=/)

So, don't you defame mah waifu! =p

This post is to be taken in jest

Raxum

Fucking Manus. Tried only once but he seemed to be very OP. Smashed me like a bitch. Any tips? Were do you find Artorias armor?

I've been using Havel's ring and gotten my endurance to a point where I can wear Ornstein's armor, wield a Black Knight Greataxe or Man-Serpent Greatsword, Greatshield of artorias(dat 88 stability) and still be under 50% equip weight. Loving that tanky dodge. :p I tried Manus and failed, because I didn't see the tell for his grab ability and he destroyed me. Also, Kalameet is ridiculous, I want to cut of that tail, but holy crap. I've done this whole run solo up until now, and I want to finish the game that way. I want Gough's Bow though. Urgh.

Thrakier

I've been using Havel's ring and gotten my endurance to a point where I can wear Ornstein's armor, wield a Black Knight Greataxe or Man-Serpent Greatsword, Greatshield of artorias(dat 88 stability) and still be under 50% equip weight. Loving that tanky dodge. :p I tried Manus and failed, because I didn't see the tell for his grab ability and he destroyed me. Also, Kalameet is ridiculous, I want to cut of that tail, but holy crap. I've done this whole run solo up until now, and I want to finish the game that way. I want Gough's Bow though. Urgh.

Wait, there's a boss harder than Manus? :( I got the three lord souls so I'm close to the end I guess. Would it be worth to do some endgame first and then come back stronger for the DLC bosses?

zkylon

zkylewd
She is referring to herself clearly. Also, if you follow the lore. The bodies or the skewers, as well as those bodies everywhere, may be due to either followers of Velka, or the priest who hid that Occult flame. Remember, Occult weapons, as well as Priscilla's Lifehunt ability, could be used to kill the Gods, thus why they are there!

The hollows that are there are trapped, and trying to kill you because they are HOLLOW! Rats, are simply Rats, and I swear, wheel skeletons are just trying to give you a hug! I have no excuse for the crow ladies...they just want to fuck you up.

Now, as for the Yellow demon hat guy. Well, he thought killing you would get him out. Nothing wrong with that! Besides, his hat is a light bulb! (cannot find that one Japanese comic of this however..=/)

So, don't you defame mah waifu! =p
I actually felt terrible about killing her but her scythe is so so sooooo good.

The way I see it though, is that the land WAS peaceful, their inhabitants WERE kind, but when Gwyn & co. decided to dump every conspirator son of a bitch into the Painted World it got overrun and corrupted: the Dark Ember, the crow demons (they drop Souvenir of Reprisals, so I'm guessing they're enemies of the Darkmoon Covenant), the Red Sign Soapstone, all of that fucked the place up and killed the former residents.

I imagine those former residents might be Velka's people, since you find Velka's gear there and people like Oswald seem to be kind in their own weird way and they "make peace" by absolving sin.

So now Priscilla, blinded by its former glory, just watches over the place and lives a sad, lonely existence of politely asking trespassers to GTFO.

This post is to be taken in jest
I think this was given, lol.

cm osi

Wait, there's a boss harder than Manus? :( I got the three lord souls so I'm close to the end I guess. Would it be worth to do some endgame first and then come back stronger for the DLC bosses?
you can collect the 4 souls and unlock the Kiln of the first flame which is great for titanite chunk farming, but don't end the game because you'll start the NG+ right away

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would say, all in all, Super Saiyan Ornstein is the hardest boss. He is the one boss that I have yet to defeat solo.

Raxum

I would say, all in all, Super Saiyan Ornstein is the hardest boss. He is the one boss that I have yet to defeat solo.

Done and done, beat him solo on this str character, it was a long fight, I'd say about 15-20 minutes. Felt like an hour, such a ridiculously intense fight, waiting for Ornstein to have openings is hard.

Definitely, I'm up to the Kiln in my normal game, but honestly there won't be much difference apart from maybe finding and upgrading new weapons you can use. Kalameet is only really ridiculous if you want to cut off his tail I think, I tried for about an hour and I think I hit his tail once. Activating his tail slam seems to be very whimsical.

I was hitting him for 208 damage a hit, which I thought wasn't much (considering my wep stat is 614) but apparently that's actually a lot of damage for hitting Kalameet. He's really tanky, fast, and his magic goes through your shield at least a little. Also his magical pickup and mark ability is bullshit. You get hit by that and you have to dodge and block perfectly otherwise he one-hits you. (or at least 1-hits me)

I was hitting him for 208 damage a hit, which I thought wasn't much (considering my wep stat is 614) but apparently that's actually a lot of damage for hitting Kalameet.

Your attack rating will rarely ever match your actual damage. You lose a small amount to the damage formula before defense is even calculated.

A rough formula for this (won't match perfectly but always comes pretty close) is this:

(atk / 2.5) + ((atk - def) / 2)

You have to run this for each damage type your weapon does (and this is why chaos, fire, lightning/etc. weapons with split damage can do pretty poorly against high-armor targets).

A lot of the stuff in the DLC has pretty high defense.

UrbanRats

What's so good about Priscilla's Lifehunt schyte? I read from the wiki that it scales B with DEX and the only good thing is 500 bleeding (against 300 of Uchi, for example) but also bleeds its user, so a weak trade off.

Raxum

Your attack rating will rarely ever match your actual damage. You lose a small amount to the damage formula before defense is even calculated.

A rough formula for this (won't match perfectly but always comes pretty close) is this:

(atk / 2.5) + ((atk - def) / 2)

You have to run this for each damage type your weapon does (and this is why chaos, fire, lightning/etc. weapons with split damage can do pretty poorly against high-armor targets).

A lot of the stuff in the DLC has pretty high defense.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense, I wasn't quite sure how the damage stats were worked out. I knew that it was never quite as high as the stats say, because I usually hit for between 400 and 500 depending on defenses of enemies. Of course that is not bosses and such.

Physical damage seems to be the most consistent damage I've found at the moment. I'd rather just use pine resins to add to the damage.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sure, focus on upgrading stuff to +15/whatever suits your boat and ace that asshole!

I think S&O together are a little more difficult, specially if you want to kill Smough first. I mean, you're locked in on Smough and lose track of Ornstein for a second and they just stun luck into a corner. Mega Orstein isn't so bad if you stick close to him and keep your shield up he only really has that one attack in which he one hits you through your shield.

What's so good about Priscilla's Lifehunt schyte? I read from the wiki that it scales B with DEX and the only good thing is 500 bleeding (against 300 of Uchi, for example) but also bleeds its user, so a weak trade off.
I does crazy base damage, the bleed is great against most regular enemies (you can pretty much null your own bleed effect if you use the Bleed Resist ring with regular enemies and you don't hit bosses often enough to need it, so you can swap it with something else most of the times), it has a pretty good poise destroying potential, long range R1 (that hits enemies just above you too!) +sweep R2 and it just looks badass.

The only weak point I see is that it's a little too slow and that the R1 hitbox can be sometimes hard to manage, and I can keep the bleeding in check in most scenarios.

Did I mention it looks fucking badass?

krakov

Stand right under him and you'll only need to watch out for the buttstomp. The grab is easily avoidable and everything else will whiff.

UrbanRats

Sure, focus on upgrading stuff to +15/whatever suits your boat and ace that asshole!

I think S&O together are a little more difficult, specially if you want to kill Smough first. I mean, you're locked in on Smough and lose track of Ornstein for a second and they just stun luck into a corner. Mega Orstein isn't so bad if you stick close to him and keep your shield up he only really has that one attack in which he one hits you through your shield.

I does crazy base damage, the bleed is great against most regular enemies (you can pretty much null your own bleed effect if you use the Bleed Resist ring with regular enemies and you don't hit bosses often enough to need it, so you can swap it with something else most of the times), it has a pretty good poise destroying potential, long range R1 (that hits enemies just above you too!) +sweep R2 and it just looks badass.

The only weak point I see is that it's a little too slow and that the R1 hitbox can be sometimes hard to manage, and I can keep the bleeding in check in most scenarios.

I just got to AnorLondo on NG+, so i might just craft one :p.

EasyMode

The hardest part of that fight for me is killing Smough while Ornstein pinches you from behind his belly (basically) cause you can't see shit and can't time your rolls.

What rustles my jimmies is when I'm hitting Smough and Ornstein's spear goes through him and hits me. Cheap bastard.

Raxum

What rustles my jimmies is when I'm hitting Smough and Ornstein's spear goes through him and hits me. Cheap bastard.

I got around that by using a Demon Spear (because apparently smough is weak vs lightning), took a little bit longer but it stopped me getting stabbed by this. Did it this way first because I wanted Ornstein's set.

EasyMode

I got around that by using a Demon Spear (because apparently smough is weak vs lightning), took a little bit longer but it stopped me getting stabbed by this. Did it this way first because I wanted Ornstein's set.

Even without the plume, the swag is off the charts.

NBtoaster

I prefer the great scythe. Still does bleed, but higher base damage and no self-bleed.

Ridley327

FUCK THE FOUR KINGSSSSSSSSS UGHHHHHHHHHH

Actually, fuck the fourth king. That asshole always gets me...

HUGE HELP: You can still attack a dying King, even if he turns into a cloud. It'll continue to take damage until it completely dissipates; it's even possible that with enough damage, you'll only have to fight three of them.

willooi

FUCK THE FOUR KINGSSSSSSSSS UGHHHHHHHHHH

Actually, fuck the fourth king. That asshole always gets me...

I'm still stuck on them in NG+ as well. However I did make good progress last night with a hybrid Havel and Channeler's set (physical & magic defense), Power Within, and Black Knight Greataxe +5. Came real close but failed a dodge from a grab attack near the end, and that was that. Was doing great damage but the swings were too sluggish and I was always playing catchup to the additional king spawns.

Will try again with an Uchi +15 with Charcoal Resin for quicker, elemental attacks (I'm guesstimating that the faster swing speed will hopefully match up DPS-wise with the greataxe, but with more control and time in-between for rolls), and go back in with Mask of the Child for the stamina regen.

Ridley327

Ah nuts, I had no idea that Ciaran's appearance was a limited time offer. I don't suppose that anyone has a spare Lord's Blade armor set that they'd be willing to part with?

Lach

So...I'm now as far on PC as I was on PS3...fucking Capra!

First time I managed to get summoned yesterday. only took about 15 minutes right at the entrance to the Tauros Demon... Will go to the Gargoyles tomorrow...

zkylon

zkylewd
I did pretty good with Child's Mask, Havel's Set, Havel's Ring and Iaito+15, wielded with both hands. Adding fire to the Iaito makes it do about 400 a hit, but it runs out before I can get to the second guy.

I just find the travel there to be terribly annoying, lots of running, killing (best I managed was to only kill three ghosts and three darkwraiths, but it's a bit risky) and waiting for elevators.

I didn't mean to level any further but I'll dump some points into VIT, since multiplayer isn't really working for me anymore.

Ah nuts, I had no idea that Ciaran's appearance was a limited time offer. I don't suppose that anyone has a spare Lord's Blade armor set that they'd be willing to part with?
Yeah, I'd like one as well, gotta have to get it the nasty way next time I pass by Royal Wood...

koryuken

I'm still stuck on them in NG+ as well. However I did make good progress last night with a hybrid Havel and Channeler's set (physical & magic defense), Power Within, and Black Knight Greataxe +5. Came real close but failed a dodge from a grab attack near the end, and that was that. Was doing great damage but the swings were too sluggish and I was always playing catchup to the additional king spawns.

Will try again with an Uchi +15 with Charcoal Resin for quicker, elemental attacks (I'm guesstimating that the faster swing speed will hopefully match up DPS-wise with the greataxe, but with more control and time in-between for rolls), and go back in with Mask of the Child for the stamina regen.

Get 10 humanity and 2 hand the Furysword. At 10 humanity, you do 308 fire damage + 200 physical. This is the fastest DPS I found on the 4Kings.

Forkball

I haven't played in about a month and a half but I want to pick it up again. I beat the Gargoyles and I'm heading to the next area.

Someone save me.

I got invaded for the first time because I wanted to kindle the bonfire. A few seconds after I did I got the message... I was a little scared, to be honest. I thought I'd have the advantage because he had to go through a narrow hallway to get to me (I was in the bonfire you open by using the sewer key). He was too powerful =/

I have a question, though. Is this how they normally look? Invaders, I mean:

For a sec I thought maybe it was a cheater, but I'm not sure.

Guys, when is the best time to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin? I assume at the end of a playthrough because some people (firekeeper) turn hostile on me according to the wiki. I want that bow.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Guys, when is the best time to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin? I assume at the end of a playthrough because some people (firekeeper) turn hostile on me according to the wiki. I want that bow.

As soon as humanly possible, you'll get a extra Estus upgrade out of it too.

Forkball

The game won't launch now on Steam after I put in the DSFix 1.7 files. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: It works now. I think the Windows update fixed it.

kodt

Banned
I got invaded for the first time because I wanted to kindle the bonfire. A few seconds after I did I got the message... I was a little scared, to be honest. I thought I'd have the advantage because he had to go through a narrow hallway to get to me (I was in the bonfire you open by using the sewer key). He was too powerful =/

I have a question, though. Is this how they normally look? Invaders, I mean:

For a sec I thought maybe it was a cheater, but I'm not sure.

Yes, they glow red.

Top Bottom