• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Doesn't killing Gwyndolin end invasions in Anor Londo? (assuming you've done O&S too)

If so, I'd leave it until right the end of your playthrough. 'Killing' Gwynevere will also turn Anor dark and the fire keeper against you if you want that firekeeper soul.

I always shoot an arrow at Gwynevere as soon as I have the Lordvessel, then run out of the room. Anor won't turn dark until you return to Gwynevere's room when the cutscene will be triggered.

Grief.exe

I'm still stuck on them in NG+ as well. However I did make good progress last night with a hybrid Havel and Channeler's set (physical & magic defense), Power Within, and Black Knight Greataxe +5. Came real close but failed a dodge from a grab attack near the end, and that was that. Was doing great damage but the swings were too sluggish and I was always playing catchup to the additional king spawns.

Will try again with an Uchi +15 with Charcoal Resin for quicker, elemental attacks (I'm guesstimating that the faster swing speed will hopefully match up DPS-wise with the greataxe, but with more control and time in-between for rolls), and go back in with Mask of the Child for the stamina regen.

The BKGA got nerfed in the PTDE, its R1 attack is now pretty weak to make up for how fast it is. R2 attack remains the same, but its pretty slow.

Grief.exe

I just noticed that Dark Souls had more concurrent players than Dishonored on release. Seems like Dark Souls sold pretty well.

do you guys want to know a more indepth explanation of the Quelag sisters and Izalith storyline? Also to feel that the PC may not be the savior some of us think he is?

this video is well done and gives an alluring explanation of the lore behind these things, and the creator does it with an artistic flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbZ...oF8u0BMy6r0q1Dles5fZq2vFwGmo_Cc&feature=inbox

I really like that guy he did a lore vid for Artorias as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d82kJlb5Us

UrbanRats

I'd have to assume that he was but a pup back then.

Beause he aged? I think he's just a pup in the DLC.

edit: lol beaten and with the same words

I missed these from last page.
That make sense, i was thrown off by
Artorias sword also being much larger, but thinking about it, that happens to most of the weapons anyway (Gough's bow etc),
just weird to see the difference in cutscenes as opposed to gameplay.

I just noticed that Dark Souls had more concurrent players than Dishonored on release. Seems like Dark Souls sold pretty well.

I really like that guy he did a lore vid for Artorias as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d82kJlb5Us

So that is why Artoria's Arm dangles
he couldnt use his shield due to his broken arm and left it on Sif to protect him from the Abyss
. i didn't even register that! damn this guy is good!

Ridley327

As neat as the cut dialogue is for him, I think leaving Artorias largely mute was the correct decision in the end. I like the idea of the Abyss taking him having such a profound effect on him that he's only barely the knight that he used to be, but not enough for him to forget his final task of preventing the spread of the Abyss: nothing can get out, and nothing can get in. Best death scream ever, too.

After defeating the moonlight butterfly boss, I'm little confused what to do. I'm in human form.

Is it worth trying to kill Havel? I've failed near 2 dozen times now. When he slams his cleaver, it just falls on your head, no matter how much you dodge. Ugh. Most annoying miniboss ever.

Should I go into the catacombs and fight the skeletons? I have light and can get a divine morning star in no time.

Or should I continue through the Valley of Drakes?

Or should I climb the ladder besides Hydra boss and venture into Darkroot forest where the forest covenant is there and cat enemies?

Being in human form has me kinda petrified to take risks, like slaying Havel. Any ideas on how to proceed?

EasyMode

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Havel's Ring is one of the most useful items in the game, but you might hold off until you have a shield that can withstand his attacks.

Tip: before you leave the butterfly area, have you noticed any suspicious trees? I'm not talking about the snake things.

As for where to go next, try the Lower Undead Burg.
It can be accessed from a door on the bridge with the red dragon, near where Solaire hangs out.

The BKGA got nerfed in the PTDE, its R1 attack is now pretty weak to make up for how fast it is. R2 attack remains the same, but its pretty slow.
Fuuuu- I forgot about that. I wanted to make a str/int build using the manus catalyst since it scales a bit with str on abyss magic. What strength scaling weapons are even worth using aside from the BKGA?
Is it worth trying to kill Havel? I've failed near 2 dozen times now. When he slams his cleaver, it just falls on your head, no matter how much you dodge. Ugh. Most annoying miniboss ever.
Yes, it's worth it. Just stand just at the edge of range to trigger his attack, when the animation starts step back out of the way, then run up and backstab.

Havel's Ring is one of the most useful items in the game, but you might hold off until you have a shield that can withstand his attacks.

Tip: before you leave the butterfly area, have you noticed any suspicious trees? I'm not talking about the snake things.

It can be accessed from a door on the bridge with the red dragon, near where Solaire hangs out.

Yeah I found some trees that die and reveal a path in the area where stone knights are lying around. I picked up some stuff and cleared the area. So now I also have Undead Burg to go and explore as well? All these choices on where to go next is overwhelming.

Yeah I found some trees that die and reveal a path in the area where stone knights are lying around. I picked up some stuff and cleared the area. So now I also have Undead Burg to go and explore as well? All these choices on where to go next is overwhelming.

The game is pretty much open world, you can go wherever you want and try your luck. Choose any area and see how far you can go, if you hit a roadblock try something else. Since it sounds like you didn't ring the bells yet, I'd try Undead Burg next. (The area behind the red dragon.)

Don't stress over staying in human form. If it's your first time through some of the areas you won't keep it anyway. :)

Grief.exe

Fuuuu- I forgot about that. I wanted to make a str/int build using the manus catalyst since it scales a bit with str on abyss magic. What strength scaling weapons are even worth using aside from the BKGA?

Mace, reinforced club, man serpent greatsword, large/great club, and demon machete all have a scaling with str. There are some more but I just listed my favorites.

I mostly use man serpent and demon machete for PvE. Large club, mace, and man serpent for PvP.

I've been trying to beat the Four Kings for days. I still haven't gotten past the first one. I can't seem to get any of my attacks to land on him for some reason. I even 2 handed an iaito and used the sweeping attack right in front of him and it didn't connect. Tried transient curse, thinking they were like the ghosts upstairs. dunno. I'm about to put it aside and get into XCOM.

Grief.exe

Don't give up on the four kings! Here is a guide I wrote that should make them pretty easy. I know the first time I fought them I got very frustrated.

Talking about this makes me want to get back into my sl1 run. Even though I haven't played in a couple weeks.

Honestly, 4 kings aren't that difficult. My suggestion would be to get down to 25% equip rate, and equip the Grass Crest Shield for stamina regen.

Have the Crest Shield or Dark Hand on backup for blocking their magic missile attack (I recommend the latter).

They telegraph all of their attacks, just dodge to the side as they are swinging and the grab attack. Dodge backwards twice for the AOE attack, or just roll behind him and block with Dark Hand/Crest Shield will do minimal damage and you can resume attacking more quickly.
Using a weapon buff like CMW, DMB, or Charcoal Resin will help, and make sure to hit them 2H.

I just beat them on NG+ with a MSGS, Power Within, and Charcoal Resin. First time Dark Souls player.

Watch these videos:

Boss guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAcFixc8Q8&feature=plcp (skip forward to about 2 minutes for the actual attack breakdown)

Naked sl5 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuARyjBw8F4&feature=plcp

Made the mistake of summoning two players to help with the depths, they ran way ahead of me and I just saw my soul count go up and up. I eventually made it to the boss having attacked nothing. They were waiting there for me. They slaughtered everything that moved down there, even the huge rat. Def took the fun/challenge out of that area.

krakov

I've been trying to beat the Four Kings for days. I still haven't gotten past the first one. I can't seem to get any of my attacks to land on him for some reason. I even 2 handed an iaito and used the sweeping attack right in front of him and it didn't connect. Tried transient curse, thinking they were like the ghosts upstairs. dunno. I'm about to put it aside and get into XCOM.

Just go as close as possible. Hugging them is the best way to go anyways. It almost seems like you take less damage the closer you are.

Grief.exe

Did the BK Halberd get nerfed like the BKGA?

I don't think so. From what I've heard, they just nerfed the r1 of the bkga BC the r1 attack is so fast for a heavy weapon.
They didn't nerf anything else, the r2 is still the same.

As far as I know the halberd has not been nerfed, but I didn't play the console version.

cm osi

fucking 4 kings, they were like 6 or 7, but i defeated them! with a horrible armor combo i admit (Mask of the child, catarina armor +5, havel's gauntlet, crimson waistcloth +3, havel shield and greath schyte +15) with power within and charcoal resin. phew.
off to anor londo.

What is a good area to invade (as Darkmoon) at SL 65? Having decent success at Painted World, but would like some recommendations.

I saw a area list of recommened SLs for PVP once, but couldn't find it again.

SJRB

Gold Member
And just like in my PS3 playthrough the game kind got stale around Sen's Fortress, so instead of farming the Golem bossfight by getting summoned I just went straight ahead and summoned Tarkus to help me take care of the Golem myself. Straight through Anor Londo after that, about to make my way up the walkway with the two archers.

..and I just realised I forgot to purchase poison arrows form the undead merchant female. Fuck.

I hate Anor Londo. It's just too clean, too sterile.

What is a good area to invade (as Darkmoon) at SL 65? Having decent success at Painted World, but would like some recommendations.

I saw a area list of recommened SLs for PVP once, but couldn't find it again.
That is a good SL for Anor Londo. Personally I do S&O about level 40-45, then immediately level up to 65 and hang around to get invaded and the traffic is constant, never waiting to get invaded.

Made the mistake of summoning two players to help with the depths, they ran way ahead of me and I just saw my soul count go up and up. I eventually made it to the boss having attacked nothing. They were waiting there for me. They slaughtered everything that moved down there, even the huge rat. Def took the fun/challenge out of that area.
I absolutely hate that and think it is the height of bad manners for co-op helpers, when I see another helper doing that I smh and try to gesture to them. I always stay with the host and let them lead unless they make it clear they want me to go before them.

You learn absolutely nothing when co-opers do all the work, what is the point? I think they're trying to show off or something.

Ridley327

Well, yeah, that was the reason I wanted to buy that. But it doesn't help a lot if I die all the time then. :(

It is lighter armor, so depending on what your endurance is at, you would it easier to hit the 25% limit with the Artorias set than with the Silver Knight set.

2AdEPT

After defeating the moonlight butterfly boss, I'm little confused what to do. I'm in human form.

Should I go into the catacombs and fight the skeletons? I have light and can get a divine morning star in no time.

Or should I continue through the Valley of Drakes?

Or should I climb the ladder besides Hydra boss and venture into Darkroot forest where the forest covenant is there and cat enemies?

Being in human form has me kinda petrified to take risks, like slaying Havel. Any ideas on how to proceed?
You want to do whatever areas first that will give you the armour and weapons you want to use for the majority of your playthrough...not saying you think this way but commonly poeple thinkthat a certain area is off limits early when clearly this is not the case....when there is a will there is a way. One option you did not list is Blightown, which can be done early, master key or otherwise (just have to run by one black knight and drakes if no master key) Blighttown is a must visit early if you are in search of good high quality light armour, are a magic user, if you like katanas. YOu won't really know what you wnat to get if you don't explore though....just try as many areas as possible without killing the bosses too much at first....your path will become obvious based on what equipment you find and what you may want ot get. SOME wiki ius useful to find out what area certain items are at..you don[t have ot search specifics..just the area is listed usually. If I were you I would go the back way to the garden get a few souls form teh forest guys, then join the covenant there..once joined a new vendor will appear in Blighttown and you will have options for weaposn and armour you would not have otherwise....a few rings to boot. NOtwithstanding, any time you go to blighttown the rusted ring and plenty of pruple moss is very helpful in partucular if you are new to the area....so good thing you went to the garden already a bit....just also consider doing the asylum revisited as well before heading to blighttown.

THere are very few shields in the game that can withstand Havel's dragon tooth....it is FAAAAR easier to just wear zero armour and zero shield and learn to dodge his overheaed attack while two handing your weapon (high critical is best for backstabs you cna pretty much chain backstab him if you learn how he moves and it is easy to follow him as he is so slow....just remember he moves quicker when attacking).....the only mistake noobs make is to not respect that he can change his tomahawk attack mid flight and track you...as such you must dodge only at the last second...dodging too early will result in OHK even with really good armour and weapons. General rule is he should be halfway or coming down before you dodge..if he is still winding up he can change direction and track your roll...even if you roll behind him! You can easily kill havel with the starting gear and the broken butt sword...if you have the patience to back stab him 50 times...I would not suggest you use a crappy weapon and pine or charcoal resin helps......but he is so slow and telegraphs his attacks that it is possible. Watch a video and you not see any "expert" using a shield nor any arnour that would impede full roll capability....this I can next to guarantee.

just like others have mentioned you just are not close enough...it is an optical illusion that you seem in proximity but alas you must be touching them to be in the "safe zone" from most of their attacks and also to be able to land your counters. HIt them from behind where possible but just tank the inevitable hits they get on you at close range. Decent armour and magic resist helps for their magic attacks. just mash R1 with a high dps weapon and stamina buffs from grasss crest shield, childs mask, cloranthy ring, or edible grass. I fyou have power within and can attune it use that as well...stacked with charcoal resin or any elemental weapon the kings quickly turn from indefatigable to just 'fat' in a hurrry.

zkylon

zkylewd
I missed these from last page.
That make sense, i was thrown off by
Artorias sword also being much larger, but thinking about it, that happens to most of the weapons anyway (Gough's bow etc),
just weird to see the difference in cutscenes as opposed to gameplay.
Yeah, but Dark Souls is kind of an unreliable narrator and I feel like some things shouldn't be taken at face value. I mean, if you kill Gough you can loot his armor and equip it, and clearly it's too big for your size.

I absolutely hate that and think it is the height of bad manners for co-op helpers, when I see another helper doing that I smh and try to gesture to them. I always stay with the host and let them lead unless they make it clear they want me to go before them.

You learn absolutely nothing when co-opers do all the work, what is the point? I think they're trying to show off or something.
Yeah, I usually let them take the lead and just point them at useful stuff they may miss. I also run directly for the boss so they see they can skin the two giant guardians before S&O. I hate fighting those guys.

Thrakier

It is lighter armor, so depending on what your endurance is at, you would it easier to hit the 25% limit with the Artorias set than with the Silver Knight set.

Endurance is at 40 and there is always Havels ring...there is no good reason to buy artorias despite style. :(

Anyway, I noticed that there is just the last boss now after bringing back the 3 souls. So I'd need to finish off the DLC first. As it stands though the manus boss is kicking my ass. Any ideas how to get him down?

SJRB

Gold Member

There is a pretty easy way to cheese the Havel fight, in case you're tired of the regular battle.

Be sure to travel to the tower where he resides from the top, your best bet is to go from the bonfire underneath the bridge with the drake.
Just take out the random undead soldiers, enter the tower and go all the way down. When you reach Havel he will come for you - just run all the way back up to the top. He will follow you, be careful because he runs surprisingly fast. Once at the top quickly move outside, he won't follow you outside giving you a save haven. As soon as you go outside he will retreat and move backwards all the way to the bottom of the tower. The cheese is basically to lure him into attacking, stricking fast and backing out to the outside so he won't counter-attack. Just pull his attack, strike and retreat. And make sure he doesn't retreat back onto the stairs.

It's super lame but also super effective. And because this is Dark Souls I don't give a fuck about "honor" - victory is all that matters.

There is a pretty easy way to cheese the Havel fight, in case you're tired of the regular battle.

Be sure to travel to the tower where he resides from the top, your best bet is to go from the bonfire underneath the bridge with the drake.
Just take out the random undead soldiers, enter the tower and go all the way down. When you reach Havel he will come for you - just run all the way back up to the top. He will follow you, be careful because he runs surprisingly fast. Once at the top quickly move outside, he won't follow you outside giving you a save haven. As soon as you go outside he will retreat and move backwards all the way to the bottom of the tower. The cheese is basically to lure him into attacking, stricking fast and backing out to the outside so he won't counter-attack. Just pull his attack, strike and retreat. And make sure he doesn't retreat back onto the stairs.

It's super lame but also super effective. And because this is Dark Souls I don't give a fuck about "honor" - victory is all that matters.

I like you.
You want to do whatever areas first that will give you the armour and weapons you want to use for the majority of your playthrough...not saying you think this way but commonly poeple thinkthat a certain area is off limits early when clearly this is not the case....when there is a will there is a way. One option you did not list is Blightown, which can be done early, master key or otherwise (just have to run by one black knight and drakes if no master key) Blighttown is a must visit early if you are in search of good high quality light armour, are a magic user, if you like katanas. YOu won't really know what you wnat to get if you don't explore though....just try as many areas as possible without killing the bosses too much at first....your path will become obvious based on what equipment you find and what you may want ot get. SOME wiki ius useful to find out what area certain items are at..you don[t have ot search specifics..just the area is listed usually. If I were you I would go the back way to the garden get a few souls form teh forest guys, then join the covenant there..once joined a new vendor will appear in Blighttown and you will have options for weaposn and armour you would not have otherwise....a few rings to boot. NOtwithstanding, any time you go to blighttown the rusted ring and plenty of pruple moss is very helpful in partucular if you are new to the area....so good thing you went to the garden already a bit....just also consider doing the asylum revisited as well before heading to blighttown.

THere are very few shields in the game that can withstand Havel's dragon tooth....it is FAAAAR easier to just wear zero armour and zero shield and learn to dodge his overheaed attack while two handing your weapon (high critical is best for backstabs you cna pretty much chain backstab him if you learn how he moves and it is easy to follow him as he is so slow....just remember he moves quicker when attacking).....the only mistake noobs make is to not respect that he can change his tomahawk attack mid flight and track you...as such you must dodge only at the last second...dodging too early will result in OHK even with really good armour and weapons. General rule is he should be halfway or coming down before you dodge..if he is still winding up he can change direction and track your roll...even if you roll behind him! You can easily kill havel with the starting gear and the broken butt sword...if you have the patience to back stab him 50 times...I would not suggest you use a crappy weapon and pine or charcoal resin helps......but he is so slow and telegraphs his attacks that it is possible. Watch a video and you not see any "expert" using a shield nor any arnour that would impede full roll capability....this I can next to guarantee.

just like others have mentioned you just are not close enough...it is an optical illusion that you seem in proximity but alas you must be touching them to be in the "safe zone" from most of their attacks and also to be able to land your counters. HIt them from behind where possible but just tank the inevitable hits they get on you at close range. Decent armour and magic resist helps for their magic attacks. just mash R1 with a high dps weapon and stamina buffs from grasss crest shield, childs mask, cloranthy ring, or edible grass. I fyou have power within and can attune it use that as well...stacked with charcoal resin or any elemental weapon the kings quickly turn from indefatigable to just 'fat' in a hurrry.

You as well

I chose the largest body shape and now my character looks obese. I didn't realize it earlier but now I do in my new outfit. Any way to change that mid-game via some fancy mod? I'm about to enter Blighttown so I really don't feel like starting all over again.

UrbanRats

Yeah, but Dark Souls is kind of an unreliable narrator and I feel like some things shouldn't be taken at face value. I mean, if you kill Gough you can loot his armor and equip it, and clearly it's too big for your size.

You're right, but i've always looked at those as gamedesign liberties, whereas the Sif/Artorias sword thing happened in cutscenes, basically, so i thought there was a more specific story reason.

Plus i've read speculations about Dark Souls being the last Archstone (land of the giants) from Demon's Souls. :p
To be honest, everyone is fucking huge in the game, even Ornstein is like twice your size, BEFORE getting SuperSayan.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're right, but i've always looked at those as gamedesign liberties, whereas the Sif/Artorias sword thing happened in cutscenes, basically, so i thought there was a more specific story reason.

Plus i've read speculations about Dark Souls being the last Archstone (land of the giants) from Demon's Souls. :p
To be honest, everyone is fucking huge in the game, even Ornstein is like twice your size, BEFORE getting SuperSayan.
I don't think there's a story reason, I can speculate some of these items are magical and resize to whoever wields them, but that's just making excuses for like you say, design liberties they took.

I imagine Ornstein is a giant, since he's roughly the same size of the Giant Guards or the Giant Skeletons in Tomb of Giants. Guys like Gough or the giant blacksmith are I guess "tall" giants. I dunno, I cannot make up my mind about these things.

2AdEPT

Endurance is at 40 and there is always Havels ring...there is no good reason to buy artorias despite style. :(

Anyway, I noticed that there is just the last boss now after bringing back the 3 souls. So I'd need to finish off the DLC first. As it stands though the manus boss is kicking my ass. Any ideas how to get him down?

This is a tough boss I have not beat solo, but some preliminary observations may help:

His magic instakill death attacks I beleive can be mitigated by the pendant you can find in an invisible wall area in the township. Baby cub SIF helps distract Manus if nothing else if you allowed alivina to show you the way to his illusory wall before the boss area...and then you click on his summon sign while in the Manus play area. The guys I hired to help me seem to stand in close and use the artorias shield that baby cub SIF gives you for finding him.

Let me know if you find any other startegies! It would be nicve to get him sdolo nest time!

Oh yeah:

PS - somebody told me he can be cheesed with
arrows if you stand on the ledge to the right before entering it is true you can see his red lights head way down there. When I was assisting as a phantom we tried shoooting him a bit
but could not tell if our shots were registering or not so we quit and beat him legitimately as a duo.

When should I do the DLC content? I just stepped into Lost Izalith for the first time. I heard the DLC content is far harder than most anything in the game, so if it's true I'm thinking to dive into it after I beat the regular game? Wouldn't want to build up my character for the DLC then completely annihilate the rest of the game, that happened a bit with me in Demon's Souls and lots of crazy fights were stupid easy and not satisfying :(.

NBtoaster

When should I do the DLC content? I just stepped into Lost Izalith for the first time. I heard the DLC content is far harder than most anything in the game, so if it's true I'm thinking to dive into it after I beat the regular game? Wouldn't want to build up my character for the DLC then completely annihilate the rest of the game, that happened a bit with me in Demon's Souls and lots of crazy fights were stupid easy and not satisfying :(.

It's not that much harder. If you can beat O+S you can beat at least the first boss.

UrbanRats

I think only the last boss of the DLC is particularly tough.
What SL are you?

Grief.exe

All of his attacks are telegraphed and dodgeable. Or you can just block with 40 endurance.

When he lets out a roar he is going into his mega attack, just roll backwards a couple times and let him go through it, then punish him on the final slam with a 2H R2 attack.

For his magic attacks they can actually all be dodged. For the shotgun one that is right in front of him, just step to the right. For the one where it shoots up in the air and follows you, roll backwards. For the one that shoots in the air, comes down in a circle, and goes toward him, just roll towards his legs.
Certain ones come out of his hand, and one comes out of his staff. I forget which.

He has a lot of health so be patient, its gonna take a while.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I did pretty good with Child's Mask, Havel's Set, Havel's Ring and Iaito+15, wielded with both hands. Adding fire to the Iaito makes it do about 400 a hit, but it runs out before I can get to the second guy.

I just find the travel there to be terribly annoying, lots of running, killing (best I managed was to only kill three ghosts and three darkwraiths, but it's a bit risky) and waiting for elevators.

I didn't mean to level any further but I'll dump some points into VIT, since multiplayer isn't really working for me anymore.

Yeah, I'd like one as well, gotta have to get it the nasty way next time I pass by Royal Wood...

What do you mean the nasty way? Is there a not so nasty way to get her armor?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I dunno, AFAIK a sure way to get people off their clothes in this game is to kill 'em. In Dark Souls, I mean :D

Yeah, that's the way I'm probably going to do it, but the way you said it had me thinking that there might be a not so nasty way to get a hold of them that I was hoping for.

2AdEPT

Yeah, that's the way I'm probably going to do it, but the way you said it had me thinking that there might be a not so nasty way to get a hold of them that I was hoping for.

Its not such a big spoiler so I will jsut let people know:
you get a yes and no question...yes is two weapons iirc plus more story, no is full armour and one weapon and no story.....
but she will attack you so need need to feel guilty.

Top Bottom